Date Last Modified: January 1, 2006



John T. Bleier
Article Unknown Rochester(NY) Newspaper: A 19-year-old Irondequoit youth was killed early today when the car which he was driving smashed into a wall of the Sea Breeze Expresswau (Route 47) just north of the Eastern Crossway.

Brighton Police identified the victim as John T. Bleier of 285 Seneca Park Ave. He was pronounced dead at the scene. He is the twin son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Bleier. Investigating Officer Charles M. Martin said the car left a southbound lane of the expressway shortly after 2 a.m., went out of control and hit a concrete wall several times until it came to rest 160 feet from the first piont of impact. The top portion of the two-door sedan was peeled away from the car and the front third was severed, scattering debris along the road, by the force of the impact. Bleier was pinned underneath the wreckage. His family said he left home early in the evening with friends, and was believed to be on his way to a friend's home in Pittsford whe the accident occurred. Bleier was employed as an orderly at St. Ann's Home, 1500 Portland Ave. He attended Irondequoit High School until 1970. He is survived by a twin brother, James, now in the Marine Corps, another brother and two sisters. Top


Renee Louise Dauwe
Article Unknown Rochester(NY) Newspaper: Miss Renee Louise Dauwe, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Rene R. Dauwe of Flint Street, yesterday became the bride of Edward Palmer Linquist, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Edward Linquistof Murry Hill, N.J. The ceremony was performed in St. Monicas Church by the Rev. Thomas Reddington. A princess-style gown of rosepoint lace over slipper satin en train was chosen by the bride. A lace pillbox held her fingertip veil. She carried glamelias. Multi-colored sheer gowns with blue taffeta cummerbunds were worn by the brides attendant whose flowers were blue carnations. Mrs. George Bailey was matron of honor for her sister. Bridesmaids were Mrs. James J. Flynn and Miss Marilyn Love. Richard Keller was bestman; ushers were Richard Linquist, brother of the bridegroom, and James J. Flynn. A reception was held at the Carriage House, after which the couple went to New York City for their honeymoon. They will reside in Newark, N.J. The bride is a graduate of the Rochester School ofPractical Nursing. The bridegroom was graduated from Rochester Institute of Technology Top

Newspaper Clipping from
the Historical Association of South Jefferson
Adams, New York
Dated: October 20, 1891

Howard D. Eveleigh, of Hounsfield, and Miss Charlotte A. Landon, daughter of L.J. Landon, were married by Rev. A. J. Brockway, of Pierrepont Manor, at the home of the bride on Clay street last Wednesday.

There were many guests present. the presents were numerous, representing the useful and ornamental.

The bride is a most estimable young lady, and has many friends in our village, and the groom is a young man of whom we have heard many words of commendation.

The newly married couple left on the afternoon train for Chicago amid showers of of rice and congratulations.


Lawton - Goodenough
Newspaper Clipping from
the Historical Association of South Jefferson
Adams, New York
Dated: March 7, 1893

Lawton - Goodenough
At the residence of the bride's father, Geo. O. Goodenough, Burrs Mills, March 1st by Rev. O.M. Kelley, Arthur O. Lawton of Rodman, and Gertrude O. Goodenough of Burrs Mills

Union Advertiser (Rochester, New York) January 21, 1884; p1,col.c4
At Newark, N.Y., at the residence of George West, Jan. 17, 1884, by the Rev.A.J.Kenyon
Mr. CHARLES W. LEE and Miss TILLIE LIST, both of this city.

John List
Democrat & Chronicle (Rochester, New York) Tue Dec 10, 1889
John LIST, aged 80 years, was found dead yesterday morning at the
residence of William GLASSER, No. 126 Chatham street. Mr. LIST was a respected farmer
of Irondequoit. The deceased came to the city Sunday and feeling unwell
decided to stop over night at the home of Mr. GLASSER. He complained of severe pains
in the side during the day but refused to have anything done for him. He
slept on a couch in the sitting room and at 7 o'clock yesterday morning he was alive
and talked with Mr. GLASSER. Shortly afterward a domestic passed through
the room and found him lying on the floor. He complained that he was unable to
walk. When she entered the room at 9 o'clock he was dead. The deceased left a
brother of Irondequoit, and one daughter, Mrs. Walker LEE, of this city.
Coroner KLEINDIENST held an inquest at Bender & Schauman's last night, a verdict of
heart disease being rendered.

Louis A List
Democrat & Chronicle(Rochester, New York) January 3, 1931;City section;p1,col.5
Louis A List of Seneca Park Avenue says it took him just about fifty years to live up to a promise made to his wife, Katherine, to "make a place for the flowers." Now that the place is nearly completed, even doubting Katherine is willing to admit that it is both novel and original.

For Mr. List, who is crowding 75 years of age, has constructed it entirely of bttles and cement, with a glass roof and suufficient room for all the flowers one beautiful-loving woman could desire. The bottoms of the bottles are encased in cement to give the effect of rose windows and the sun streaking through the place becomes a myraid of color. The remainder of the bottle is used for decorative purposes in the interior of the long room. The broken bits, many-colored and of strange shapes, are encased encased in cement and used for the supports for the room. They serve also to conceal the elaborate heating system which Mr. List has installed and line the inner wall.

Yesterday Mr. List displayed a door, more intracate in pattern than any of the small rose windows, which is to be the entrance from the outside. A door in the opposite wall connects with the farmhouse which Mr. List built forty years ago and which he has lived ever since. He also has an intricately pattern card table of glass which is nearing completion.

"It's great work when winter comes along, and a man can't be out in the field and orchard." explains
Mr. List, "A fellow has to keep busy"


Wiliam Marquis
Orleans Republic (Albion, New York)
June 27, 1923

Wm. Marquis jr., was badly injured Monday night when his automobile turned over. The Machine was damaged.


Noble Bakery fire
Lockport (NY) Union-Sun, February 17,1910, p.8;col.3

Crossed electric light wires are thought to be responsible for a serious fire that visited the John Noble bakery at Nos.69 to 78 Market Street about 3 o'clock this morning and resulted in a loss of $8,000 to 10,000.
It is expected to be fully covered by insurance. No one was in the place at the time and the blaze was discovered by a passerby, who notified Patrolman Walter Baccue, on duty on Main Street and an alarm was sent in from box 3, bringing the entire department to the scene in quick order. Each company had a stream of water on the fire within minutes, the DeWitte having two, and it is due to the quick and skillful efforts of the firemen that the factory was not completely wiped out.
The three story building, especially Nos. 69 was entirely gutted from the first floor to the roof and the flames were eating their way to the middle part of the factory, In which was located a big elevator, when their further progress was checked by the desperate efforts of the firemen. In consequence that part was only slightly burned, but a considerable quantity of pastry flour in bags and a lot of goods ready to be shipped were ruined by water. The retail store at No. 75 Market Street and that part of the structure to the rear were uninjured except from the water that may later find its way through the plaster walls.
In the building that was most damaged was located a packing department and on the upper floors were stored about 50 barrels of bread flour, which fell trough the burned floors and were destroyed. The main supply of flour, however was stored in the Chestnut Street building.
The ovens and mixing rooms running back to Chestnut Street fortunately escaped harm, due no doubt to the forethought of seperating them from the Market Street building by a fire wall, which saved the plant from a further spread of the fire in that direction.
Mrs. Noble said this morning that the loss would likely reach about $10,000, including both the building and contents.

Albert G. Noble
Lockport (N.Y.) Union Sun February 8 1906 page 4 Column 4
A very pretty home wedding was solemnized at the home of Dr. and Mrs. W.H. Loomis last night at 8 o'clock, on Waterman Street, when their only daughter, Neva Smith Loomis, was married to Mr. Albert G. Noble of this City.
Promptly at the appointed time , to the strains of the wedding music played by a harp orchestra, the bridal party desended the stairs and took their places in the library before a white altar banked with palms, where awaited the groom, his best man, Mr. J. horace Noble, and the Rev. Alexander McGaffin of the First Presbyterian Church, who performed the ceremony in the presence of some fifty guests.
First came Miss Winifred Smith, maid of honor, then little Sara Victory, flower girl, then the braidsmaid, Miss Libbie Noble, who preceded the bride, who walked alone.
The bride was lovely in a gown of Dutchess satin with point lace trimmings, and she carried bride roses. The bridesmaid was gowned in white and carried pink carnations; the maid of honor was gowned in pink and carried white carnations.
A reception and supper followed the ceremony, and at the bride's tables were seated 20 guests. The decorations were entirely of pink and white and the favors were little burnt wood boxes with cupids upon them, filled with pink and white candies.
Later, Mr. and Mrs. Noble left for a trip to New York. Upon their return they will be at home, 34 Waterman Street.
The out-of-town guests were: Mr. and Mrs. Frank Smith, Syracuse; Miss Winifred Smith, Phoenix, N.Y.; Mr. and Mrs. Hodkiss and daughter, Niagara Falls;Mr. and Mrs. Duncan L. Myers and son, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Myers, Stratford, Ont.; Miss Jane Smith, Miss Katherine Smith and Miss Katherine Forestell, all of Buffalo, N.Y.

 John Noble
Newsclipping from the collection of
Juliana List Noble
Unknown Rochester (New York) Newspaper
October 27, 1970

Local Boy Makes Good After VW Fashion
By Margaret Converse
Next time a North Korean border guard giggles at your Volkswagen, or a band of ghouls filches it to flee from enraged villages - well, you were warned this might happen by a fellow from your home town.
John Noble, who was graduated from Irondequoit High in 1956, dreamed up these television advertisements for Doyle, Dane & Bernbach, the zany and very successful New York advertising firm. This year Volkswagen expects to sell 600,000 cars in the United States alone, compared to two in 1949. Not unconnected to this is the fact that John Noble, 31, is the youngest vice president in the history of Doyle Dane.
On one of his rare trips home, Noble stopped off at a meeting of the Rochester Society of Communicating Artist to tell the local admen how he did it. "Talent" he explainedin a dead-pan delivery.
Eight years ago. after graduating with a journalism degree from Michigan State University, Noble applied for a job at Rumrill-Hoyt, Inc., Rochester's largest advertising firm. "The only thing between me and this juicy $7,500 a year job was a standard aptitude test. I took it and did lousy - I always do lousy on aptitude tests - and the company suggested in a letter that I get out of the business, that I would be happier at a small television station in the Midwest."
While in College, he married his high school sweetheart, Dolores Grunberg, and discovered that he couldn't support a family in newspapering. He took a job writting copy for the Sears-Roebuck farm catalogue, then for Chevrolet in Detroit.
"I decided to get out of that job when the Chevroet advertising manager, at an important client meeting, looked up from his big desk with a piece of my copy in his hand and said,'This copy don't read right to me.'"
The next stop was Doyle Dane & Bernbach, and a rapid scoot up the ladder. His next stop? "I'd like to be the youngest executive vice president in company history."
His advertising approach, said Noble, is very midwestern, compared to the slicker, more sophisticated East Coast angle. "In the Midwest, people talk to people in more human terms. They're also more corny and I couldn't stand them, but they were great in other respects . . . I learned not to write to people like children, but like human beings."
His VW ads - he also invented Calvert Extra "Soft Whiskey," and the El Al Airlines ad about shipping goats from one country to another for mating - certainly credit the viewer with intelligence. One is a take-off on the Steinbeck novel "Of Mice and Men," while another features, but does not name, Charlie Chan.
Noble's major advertising thrust is television. "We're getting away from print more and more. One-half of the VW advertising budget this year ($8 million in the U.S. alone) is going into television. TV is one part of the account I'm porodest of." The reason for the shift, he said, is that TV ads are better artistically.
The Volkswagen advertising slogan "Think small," but Noble's production slogan is "Think big."

Richard C. Noble
Article-Unknown Brockport(NY) Newspaper: Hazel & Dick Noble, West Avenue, Brockport, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary an an open house hosted by family members Sunday June 10, at the Firemens Exempt Club, West Ave. The Former Hazel MacBride of Rochester and Dick Noble of Spencerport were married in Rochester June 8, 1940. They had met on a blind date arranged by a friend. Dick Noble is retired from Eastman Kodak, Hazel Noble had worked for the U.S. Postal Service in Brockport. They have four sons, all married- Dick and Delores, and Bill and Margaret of Hamlin; Terry and Colleen of Brockport; and Scott and Karen of Greece- and seven grandchildren. Amoung those at the celebration were Rita Carbone of Rochester, the couples maid of honor;Mary McFee of Tempe, Ariz., a bridesmaid; and a cousin, Jerry DeJongh from Wilmington, Mass. "We would like to thank our boys and their wives and our grandchildren for giving us such a memorable 50th wedding celebration," said Hazel Noble. "We also thankall our relatives and freinds for the beautiful cards, flowers, and gifts. It was a great 50th. I wish all couples could reach their 50th anniversary." Top



Rachel Elizabeth Saxton
Oneonta Daily Star - Oneonta, New York 17 July 1922
Miss Rachel Elizabeth Saxton, Daughter of Mr. & Mrs. V. F. Saxton of Fort Plain, was married last week Saturday to Barber Lester Waters of Greenwich. The Bride was one of six honor students of the class of '22 Syracuse University, and Mr. Waters is a World war veteran. The Brides father was formerly a resident of Milford.

Marrianna Schneck
Article Rochester (New York) Union & Advertiser, January 6, 1894; page 8, Column 1.
Mrs. Mary Staudenmaier, living with a family of grown up and growing up children,in the Rifle Range Hotel on the east bank of the Genesee, at the end of the North park, considers that she has been unjustly used by Gen. Henry Brinker of Rochester. For several days she has led a sort of Robinson Crusoe existence, being cut off from the remainder of the world. There are two roads leading to the hotel. Dithces were dug across both a few days ago so that it was absolutely impossible to drive to the hotel. Driveways are a convenient accessory of any hotel, but especially desirable for a hostelry situated in a secluded spot on the river bank, far from the paths of any ordinary pedestrians, especialy in the winter months. Some of the old residents and property owners say that Gen.. Brinker, besides rendering the hotel practically inaccessible, has closed up highway which have been in public use almost since the days when theIroquois paddled up and down the Genesee. The Hotel is on the east side of the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg railroad tracks and at that point Mrs. Staudenmaier owns the land lying on the east side of the tracks. About 300 feet south of the hotel, her land forms an L and includes a tract on both sides of the tracks, as far west as the river bank about one- quarter acre of her land is west of the tracks. North of this quarter acre the land the land for about a quarter of a mile belongs to Gen.. Brinker, being a strip 50 to80 feet wide between the tracks and the river bank. The long and circultous road through Seneca park as it leaves the northern end of the park extends across Mrs. Staudenmaiers land and thence along Gen. Brinkers land it passes directly in front of the hotel furnishing an approach to the house. At the line between Mrs. Staudenmaiers quarter acre tract and the of Gen. Brinker, a ditch was dug a few days ago, by the generals orders, as alleged, transversely on the road about eight feet deep andfour feet in width. It is nearly 30 feet long, extending on both sides of the road, so that persons driving that far find a hole in front, the steep river bank on one side and a railroad fence on the other. The only corse open is to return toward Rochester. There is no guard at the hotel and there would seem to be danger to any persons who might drive along there at night without the knowledge that such an excavation had been made lately. Mrs. Staudenmaier says to her knowledge the road has been in use for seventeen years as a public highway. Farmers in the vicinity say it has been a highway in public use for sixty or seventy years or more. Among those whose memory goes back about sixty years is Hosea Rogers of St. Paul street, who says he used to drive over this road about that and load his vessels in the river. Others who corroborate these statements are Jerome Titus of Garden street, John Barnes of Rochester, who owns a farm in the locality, and Jay Cole of St. Paul street. The other road which leads tothe hotel starts at St. Paul street and by a long and winding course goes down the steep hill to the river bank. This road for a conciderable distance after leaving St. Paul street is a highway about sixty or seventy feet wide and with a row of trees extending along the center. Across this highway, near St. Paul street, a ditch was somewhat similar in depth and width to that on the park road. In addition the highway from St. Paul street has been plowed up making it about as rough for driving as can be imagined. Mrs. Sarah Colt owns the land on both sides of the road. People in the vicinity say Gen. Brinker owns no land along this road, but he and his men dug the ditch and plowed up the road.Mrs. Staudenmaier bought the land from Mrs. Colt and says the latter opened the road at that time. The Colt boys have within a day or two filled up this ditch wide enough for a vehicle to pass over, so that now the Rifle Range people have some relief. It is stated that Gen. Brinker formerly used this highway to go to hislands but lately opened a new and private road about 300 or400 feet to the north. For this reason he no longer relies on the old highway, but does not appear by what authority he dug the ditch and plowed up the road. As to the generals objects, the people in the vicinity say he aims by closing the from the park at the north end to induce the city to buy his land lying between the river bank and the railroad tracks. His price is said to be $500 an acre. Mrs. Staudenmaier gives another object. She stated: "He said he like to starve us. Some friends of his were down here the other day and I told them all about it. Perhaps he will be ashamed when he hears what they know about it." From this statement it is evident that the relations between Gen. Brinker and the Staudenmaiers are somewhat strained. Top


Stirk - McBride
Brockport (New York)Republican-Democrat
Thursday, January 22, 1942

Miss Jessie Grace McBride, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James McBride of Canal road, and James Francis Stirk, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Hutchinson of Fayette street, were united in marriage Saturday morning.
The ceremony was performed in the rectory of the Church of the Nativity by the Rev. Paul E. Tuite, assistant pastor.
Miss Dorothy Stirk, sister of the bridegroom, was the bridesmaid and Mr. Hutchinson acted as bestman.
Following the ceremony, a wedding breakfast was served at the Huthinson home. Mr. and Mrs. Stirk are residing in Troup street, Rochester, the bridegroom being employed at the Continental Optical company.

Seth Stirk
Orleans Republic (Albion, New York)
February 20, 1935
Page 3; col. 2
Fifteen years ago
Seth Stirk bought the Loveland building on East Bank St. used by him for a restaurant and pool room.

 Gary L. Stymus
Republic- Democrat (Brockport, New York)
June 8, 1967 page 1

Requiem Mass Held June 3 for Pfc. Gary Stymus
A requiem Mass was held at St. Mary's Church, Holley, at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, June 3, 1967, for Pfc. Gary L. Stymus, 25, of Clarendon, who died in Vietnam on Thursday, May 25. Full military honors were given by Headquarters Co., 101st Artillery Group, Lockport AFS, and members of the group acted as bearers and honor guard.
Burial was made in the Veterans Plot in Mt. Albion Cemetery.
Pfc. Stymus was wounded by small arms fire in a base camp in Vietnam and died in a surgical hospital a few hour later. He first enlisted in the Army on Dec. 1, 1958, and served with the NATO forces in Germany. On April 26, 1966, he reenlisted and trained for guerilla warfare


Douglas Wysocky
West Yellowstone News (Dec. 17, 2004)
Local man killed in single-vehicle accident last week
By Marlo Pronovost
Horse Butte resident Doug Wysoky was killed last week in a single-vehicle accident.
Wysoky, 35, was driving his 3/4 ton Dodge pickup west on Rainbow Point Road when he drifted off the right shoulder and slid broadside for 100-feet through packed-snow, said Montana Highway Patrolman Shane Cox.
The truck hit a tree on the driver's side just behind the door. That impact then spun the truck counter-clockwise, which caused it to hit another tree head-on. The accident occurred around 9 p.m.
Two motorists came upon the scene shortly after and called 911. West Yellowstone Police and Fire Department responded and found Wysoky unconscious and suffering massive head trauma.


William Yaeger
Times-Union Rochester, New York
October 18, 1944

Lt. William L. Yeager
First Lt. William C. Yaeger, 23 was killed Sept. 18 as was piloting a C-47 transport over Holland, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William A. Yeager, 202 Field have learned. His widow, the former Ruth Jones of Lubbock Tex. lives with them.
Lt. Yeager, holder of the Air Medal and the Presidential Unit Citation had been elected to receive the Distinguised Flying Cross. Overseas since January, he participated in aerial missions in Norther and Southern France and Holland.
Before enlisting in March 1942 he worked at Kodak. He was a graduate of Monroe High, where he was a member of the baseball and basketball teams, and he also played football with the Invaders.
Survivors include one brother, Paul M., and two sisters, Mrs. Jeanne Coon and Mrs. Helen M. Smith.


John David Noble
Date Last Modified: January 1, 2006