William Leavy Part Three


With Some Notice of Many Prominent Citizens and Its
Institutions of Education and Religion


Continued from the July [1942] Register


Source: Register, Kentucky State Historical Society, Volume 40, Number 133, October 1942, pages 353-375. This is the third of eight Register articles containing a transcription of a photocopy of the original William Leavy manuscript located in Special Collections, Transylvania University, Lexington, Fayette, Kentucky. 

NOTE: Page numbers and headings of the manuscript appear in parentheses as in original copy. Pages 1-23 are in Part 1. Pages 24 - 37 are in Part Two., 38 - 62 in Part Three, 63-82 in Part Four, 83-113 in Part Five, 114-123 in Part Six, 124-163 in Part Seven, and 164-208 in Part Eight.

William Macbean
an old friend of my father's a native of England established himself in business in Lexington about the year 1796 his store was first kept near corner of Main St. and Broadway afterwards about 1800 to 1803 or 4 Main St. S. side 3 or 4 doors from Mill St. his family consisted of his wife daughter & mother in law they were well brought up and amiable people. There is no individual among our early residents who commanded my high esteem and regard more than Mr. Macbean. He was well informed intelligent honorable and upright of an excellent capacity—a good draughtsman of papers and inspector of accounts and complicated transactions—a Scrivener—He had as his partner an Englishman by the name of Poyzer, who became deranged, and died at Nashville to which he had removed. Mr. Macbean was unsuccessful in business I think mainly owing to losses as a partner in the Madison Hemp and flax Spinning Company in which an excellent Sail Duck was made. Col. Morrison was one of the Company. He sold his town property also a little farm of 75 acres sold to Wm. Tod subsequently bought by me of his sons David & Wm. F. Tod in the year 1832 immediately adjoining the farm my father bot. of hon. John Brown. Though wholly unsuccessful in this world's concerns I have no doubt he had the reversion of a better inheritance. Him & his family were members of the Episcopal Church He was employed by Thos. Dye Owings as his Agent in the Sale in Lexington for some years of his Iron and Castings. And He was often employed as Agent, Clerk of Auction & Public Sales and was always engaged in some useful occupation until his last days. He died at the hospitable residence of his friend John Norton S.E. corner of High & Mulberry Streets in the year ____ his family had preceded him in their demise. He was a benevolent man, and had the milk of human kindness largely in his composition. He acted as Clerk at a Book auction I think in the year 1812 where I bought a copy of Edward's Works in 8 volumes he told my father the following day in my presence he was glad I had made that purchase, having no doubt they would confirm me in the great truths of Religion.

Lewis Sanders was an active merchant and business man in Lexington for a number of years from a very early period Clerk and Salesman in the Store of Patrick McCullough at whose death it was commonly understood he received a valuable estate consisting principally of the lots upon which he erected his two 3 story dwelling and store and the next house below it these houses are at present

as a Carpet Store of Campbell and Confectionary &c by Mrs. Scott. Mr. Sanders was full of enterprise and speculation he bought a number of farms upon one of which he built, 3 miles from Lexington on N. side of Georgetown road, a large and handsome brick residence owned for a number of years by Richard W. Downing and on another erected the Sandersville Cotton Factory which for some years he carried on successfully. He resided first in 1803 and after for years in the large building he erected for residence and store on Main Street afterwards in the country place. But He added in company with Capt. Billy Smith and Dr. Wm. H. Tegarden the importation from England in the year 1817 of fine English Cattle. But his large transactions were more than he could sustain, and he was compelled to wind up his affairs with a universal loss to his creditors his largest endorser Mr. James Weir obtained his dwelling house & Store in lieu of $20,000 he had to pay for him. My father loaned him nine hundred dollars a short time before he stopped and our firm advanced him subsequently over 100$ under the most implicit understanding it should be met, but we neither of us ever received a dollar in return. His failure I think was in 1817 or 1818. The farm bought in 1812 of Col. Patterson 400 acres beginning in town he must have made something handsome on. Much or most of it was sold out at public Sale in Lots in 1814. This was a joint purchase of himself and Richd. Higgins. During the operation of Mr. Sanders he circulated small ingraved Notes of one dollar each having the appearance of a Bank Bill—"The Sandersville Mang Co." circulating them freely for change and payment to his employees and others in place of Bank Notes. He had an admirable clerk Andw. Stainton an Englishman an excellent Book keeper and Accountant who aided him no doubt greatly in his business. Mr. Sanders married a daughter of Col. Nicholas, Geo. N. Sanders who has figured considerably of late as a democratic writer of some note & connected with the confederate cause &c. and who has died in New York during the last year was his son. Sanders passed the latter years of an extended life in the business of Agriculture and Stock raising, on a farm called Grassy hills, in _______ county near the Ohio river, he died in the year _____ having a few years before his death married a second wife Miss Adelaide Dumesnil, who with her family had removed from Lexington to Louisville. As a citizen Lewis Sanders was active & public spirited—desirous of seeing public & private improvements going forward.

With favorable prepossessions having always been treated with personal kindness and respect by Lewis Sanders—I am compelled to look upon him as the most reckless and unscrupulous man in business relations I ever knew. So much so that I doubt whether the large sum he owed in Lexington and vicinity of borrowed money probably not less than eighty thousand dollars ever cost him the loss of an hour's sleep. The Fayette Cotton Factory at Sandersville has been more extensively and ably carried on by the successors of Mr. Sanders than ever by himself, first by Oldham Todd & Co. which included Mr. Hemmingway an English manufacturer as a partner. Isaac W. Scott became a partner in place of Todd, but the main strength of the establishment came from Mr. Edward Oldham, who was a practical engineer and manufacturer himself and principal owner of the large farm attached to it. Since his death the establishment will be sold out; Oldham had become a principal owner. I have not the statistics of their business, but it has been very large.

James Hughes Esqr. I have some recollection of and of his amiable family of daughters. He was considered an excellent land lawyer, and his counsel and services much sought while a resident of Lexington enjoying a large practice. He had a modest and beautiful cottage residence, enjoying a pleasant scite a mile and a quarter from town, on an estate afterward owned by Dr. Dudley on the right of Russell's Road. There is no longer any vestige of the ornamental rural home of the lawyer to be seen. Mr. Hughes was a practicing lawyer here from the year 1793 to the period of his death about the year 1806 or 7.

Charles Humphreys Esqr. son of one of our early residents Joshua Humphreys Senr. whom I remember pleasantly from seeing in my father's counting room in the year 1803 and of his remarks to me as a young scholar at college, and brother of David Humphreys watch maker & Engraver, who made a Map of the Seat of War 1812-15 a copy of which I presented within the last year to the Lexington Library, also a brother of Joshua Humphreys Jr a much esteemed citizen for some years—Chas. Humphreys, a Member of the Lexington Bar for a great many years, was much less distinguished from others by superior talents though of good parts than for his unremitting industry and close attention to business, and I may add, a model gentleman, which more than made up for want of superiority of talent. Though he possesses a good intellect, and was exceedingly well informed and a good writer. He published a stout octave volume, a Compendium of the Common Law, which sold at three dollars, also a volume of Miscellaneous Essays. He was a valuable members of Society and was

earnest in promoting the best interests of Lexington—He was a good lawyer for the collection of debts, and often employed by my father who held him in very high esteem. He was first a Merchant, and engaged at different times in other business, though as a lawyer he always had a respectable practice. His family was an interesting and amiable one. His first wife was a Miss Cowan, and several children were lost, after being grown, by consumption. His second wife was a Miss Riggs, who after his death became the wife of Danl. Mayes Esq. attorney at Law and Judge. Mr. Humphrey's hospitable residence, which he built, was on S. side of High Street beyond Spring St. set some distance back from the Street afterwards the residence of Mr. P. Bishop. He died in the year 1830. See page 189 for continuance—

The hon. Wm. T. Barry was a conspicuous orator among the very eminent and distinguished men of Lexington. He was a student in Transylvania and studied Law in the Office of the hon. James Brown. He was gifted with a very fervid eloquence, and a most engaging and persuasive manner. He very soon, on commencing practice at the bar, took a commanding station, and very early aimed at and acquired political distinction;—became a popular favorite, and enjoyed the honours of the State in the State and National legislatures. He was an advocate of the War of 1812 also the Appointment of minister to Spain, but did not live to fulfill it, having died on his way at Liverpool England in 1835. Mr. Barry's remains were brought back by order of the Ky. Legislature and interred in the Cemetery at Frankfort in 1854 with public honours. The first wife of Mr. Barry was the daughter of Waller Overton, Esqr. of Fayette, their only daughter married James the son of Genl. James Taylor of Newport, their sons John & Jackson died early; his second wife was the daughter of S.T. Mason of Virginia, and brother of John Thompson Mason Jr. and sister to the wife of his excellency Governor Benjamin Howard of Missouri, who, after his death became the wife of Judge Thomas M. Hickey and is only lately deceased. His residence for some years was the same that had been occupied by the Hon. John Pope after him by Henry Johnson & at present by Jos. Woolfolk S.E. corner High and Rose Streets. He was liberal to his law students, and gave them marks of his attachment and respect, he made my brother Lawrence Leavy a partner with him in his Law practice 1820-22,—the same mark he also gave to another of his students Robert Parker,—their early deaths cut short his further aid or advice. The Fayette C. Court erected a monument to his memory in the Public Square.

The Hon. James Brown
came from Va. to Lexington in the year 1789 and commenced the practice of Law. He married a daughter of Col. Thomas Hart, and was the first Secretary of state of this Commonwealth. His residence was in a white frame house situated at the N.W. corner of Mill & Short Streets afterwards the residence of Col. George Trotter Junr. He commanded a Company of Rifleman in Genl. Wilkinson's expedition against the Indians in 1791. He was a gentleman of fine address accomplishments and manners. He removed to Louisiana and settled in New Orleans, and was Senator to the U.S. for six years and subsequently Minister to France 1823-1829. He died in the City of Philadelphia in the year 1835. Mr. Brown never embraced Christianity. I heard from a friend of mine the learned and excellent George Clarke that he said to him "Godwin's political Justice was his bible"

Col. Joseph Hamilton Daviess a lawyer and statesman of eminence and whose loss as a gallant soldier and distinguished man was universally lamented in Kentucky was a resident of Lexington in the year 1809; when in the year 1811 he recruited and commanded a gallant Regiment to the battle of Tippe-canoe, on the Wabash in the state of Indiana Novr. 7th, where he fell with honour. Col. Daviess was the United States Attorney in the first arrest of Aaron Burr for high treason in Frankfort and was active in the duties of that office. Col. Daviess's wife was the sister of Chief Justice Marshall of the United States. He was public spirited and liberal as a citizen I remember of his bring one of the subscribers and donors to Rev. Mr. Badin in his subscription paper for the erection of the first brick Catholic Church in Lexington in the year 1810 or 11.—Col. Daviess had an eye and presence I can never forget although he had some of the most singular and striking eccentricities of character. Hon. Jesse Bledsoe commemorated his death in a funeral oration delivered before the Grand Lodge of Kentucky at Frankfort Decr. 26-1811 a copy of which I have in a small Newspaper Scrap Book 1812.

The Hon. John Pope came to Lexn. in 1790 for a number of years in the early part of this century was one of the most distinguished and eminent of the Statesmen of Kentucky—for a number of years—first in our State Legislature and Senate, and subsequently as a Senator in Congress, and took a rank

with the first in the land. As a Senator in Congress he was a logical forcible and eloquent orator and would have distinguished himself in any age or country. Like the Hon. Mr. Barry the magic of public affairs snatched him away from the bar and its busy employment. His first wife was a daughter of Col. Wm. Christian—Dr. James Fishback married another and the houses on Short Street for a number of years past used by D.A. Sayre for his banking house and residence were built by them the first by Mr. Pope and the other by Dr. Fishback I think not later than 1805 perhaps the year before. Mr. Pope's 2d. wife was a sister of Mrs. John Q. Adams and his 3d. the widow of Col. Walton of Washington Co. near Springfield, Ky.—Mr. Pope was appointed Governor of the Territory of Arkansas and continued so for six years. He died in Washington City in 1842 aged 72 years.—While rivitted to the spot as one of a crowd of listeners listening most attentively to Mr. Pope in the Senate at Frankfort in 1825 during the visit there of our National Great Lafayette—my pocket book was taken out of my pocket without being missed! such was the fascination of the Orator and of his subject—though his speech was like a passage in one of Burke's, variously enriched by his discursive manner.

James Haggin Esqr. was one of the foremost lawyers in Lexington and Kentucky during his residence here. He built a handsome though singular residence in the year 1814 or 1815 on a handsome lot on Broadway where he resided with his family a number of years. It was afterwards occupied by Joel Johnson, and with alterations by the present proprietor as the "Hocker female institute." Mr. Haggin was esteemed a learned & able land lawyer, he had a large practice in the Court of Appeals at Frankfort. He bought a large farm in Woodford 14 miles from Lexington on the Frankfort road, and built a residence upon it, to which he removed, selling out his property in Lexington. His Woodford residence & farm was sold to David C. Humphreys Esqr. where he resided until his death, & since occupied by his family. Mr. Haggin aimed at no oratorical display, but was an earnest forcible and logical reasoner. He took into partnership his law student Thos. M. Hickey, son of a worthy citizen Simon Hickey who married one of

the daughters of Edwd. McDermid who was one of the first settlers had the grant of several of the large town lots. Mr. Simon Hickey had an amiable family of daughters, one of whom was married to the French Professor Mr. B. Guerin. Thos. M. was carefully educated in a Catholic School at Bardstown and had excellent talents, afterwards appointed a judge of the Court which he filled to general satisfaction. His first wife was daughter of Oliver Keen esqr. his second, who survived him, the widow of W.T. Barry Esqr. Judge Hickey had a good standing as a Lawyer and counsellor at our bar. Mr. Haggin has an amiable and interesting family, several handsome and intellectual daughters, with better conversational talents than usual—I bought of Mr. Haggin for the Lexington Library in the year 1923 the old Kentucky Insurance Co. building on Main Street at $3,000, which was worth at one time the sum of $10,000—

Robert Wickliffe Esqr. for many many years one of the foremost lawyers and public men in Lexington and Kentucky. He had much celebrity as a land lawyer, to which business he devoted much of his time and attention. I do not know the year he first came to Lexington to reside and practice his profession. He married as his first wife a daughter of the venerable John Howard, a wealthy farmer and land owner. His sons Robt. Wickliffe Jr., Charles Wickliffe and his daughters Mrs. A.K. Wooley, Mrs. Wm. Proctor, and Mrs. Mary Preston are all by this marriage. He repeatedly represented the county in the State Legislature—took an active part in the New and Old Court question and other important political subjects of our State politics. He was for some years a warm democratic politician and friend of General Jackson. For many years the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Transylvania University—a warm friend of Mr. Holley throughout his presidential career. He was a liberal and public spirited citizen in everything calculated to promote the best interests of Society. Mr. Wickliffe was an active member of the Transylvania Literary Institute, originating with the President and Professors of the College (see 189) its Trustees and friends, where papers were read in Alphabetical rotation with free conversation among the members, & a Social repast, at the houses of its members. When the Meeting was at our house I read a paper on the subject of Popular Education, my friend Chas. Humphreys when it came to his hour took the same subject with a different view. President Holley, Mr. Wickliffe, Dr. Dudley, Profr. Thos. J. Matthews, Col. Josiah Dunham Principal of a respectable Female Academy, and others were members and the Society, was kept up for some length of time with unabated interest.

Mr. Wickliffe being a man of decided character, has his warm friends, and warm opponents, he had high and positive virtues and excellencies. He was always held in high esteem and personal

regard by my father and myself. I had myself the best proof of his sincere personal regard and respect.—Mr. Wickliffe's second wife Mary Owen Russell, was the only daughter of Col. John Todd, and was a lady of extraordinary moral excellence and worth. She was noted for her benevolence, and readiness to contribute to all calls upon her bounty. She was a highly esteemed Member of the Presbyterian Church to which I belonged. I saw her in her last illness, and at her funeral, before a very large concourse of friends was gratified to hear pronounced a suitable and eloquent Sermon by her pastor Revd. John D. Matthews.—

A pamphlet controversy took place in the year ____ between Mr. Wickliffe and my friend Dr. Robt. J. Breckinridge, I took no trouble to fathom its merits, and took no part on either side, I considered it bitter and unseemly, and always regretted it.—Turning away from bitter animosities I always fund Mr. Wickliffe an amiable and excellent man. In the heat of personal and party feelings things are often said which the parties would desire to forget and bury in oblivion.—Mr. Wickliffe's son Charles a very handsome young man was killed in a hasty duel in the year ____ by Geo. James Trotter, growing out of something said in the Kentucky Gazette of which T. was then the editor. T. died some years after in the Lunatic Asylum. It is not unlikely that his mind had become seriously affected by the tragic act. The other son R. Wickliffe Jr. after graduating with honor from Transylvania became a lawyer and represented the County in the State legislature. He was a handsome man, of superior endowments and accomplishments—He wrote, and spoke well, represented the U.S. as Charge d' Affaires in Sardinia, married in Europe, and not very long after his return to Lexington, died in the year 1850 aged 35. He gave the most promising indications of a distinguished future.

Saml. Downing, father of Josiah and Richd. W., and whom I knew well as an old friend of my fathers, who first in conjunction with a partner named Moody was in business as early as 1790, Moody & Downing, and had their store on the S.E. corner Main & Mill Streets. They were contractors and purchasers of horses in furnishing the expedition against the Indians in 1791 I have no doubt a lucrative contract. Mr. D. subsequently had a store of his own selling for a number of years Iron, Castings and Salt &c. He retired early from business with handsome earnings establishing his sons, who became farmers

and purchasers of horses, with which they carried on a trade to So. Carolina. Josiah became the owner of the farm 4 miles from town on the Henry's Mill Road formerly the residence of Gwin Tompkins Esq. & successively of John Gilbert and now of Price McGrath: Richard of the residence built on the Georgetown road by Lewis Saunders 3 miles from town & a farm of 300 acres at which his father died in the year ____ at an advanced age. The son Richd. reared his family upon it and died only a few years ago, with his means unreduced. But his older brother Josiah was unfortunate and lost the greater part of his property before his death which was in the yr. ____ Dr. Richard W. Downing brother of Saml. was like his brothers Saml. & Frank one of the very early settlers of Lexington, and a physician in reputable practice for a number of years. He was remarkable for his facitousness and good humor. He died in the year ____ his residence was a brick one on Main Street two doors on E. side from the corner of Spring Street set a little back I remember his two amiable daughters, much esteemed by their acquaintances the elder one Miss Betsy died a few years ago at the residence of her relative Mrs. D.M. Craig, the other Priscilla married to Mr. _____ whom I never knew. Dr. D. had a son who died early of dissipated habits.

Andrew McCalla came to Lexn. or vicinity from the City of Philadelphia before 1793. In the summer or autumn of 1795 he sold a farm on which he had settled 9 miles from Lexington in Jessamine County to Col. David Meade, he came to Lexington bought about that time the large lot on which he resided and established in Apothecary Store. It was situated on the N.E. corner of Market Street and fronted the N.W. corner of the Court House Square the lot extended to 1st or Church Street. His was almost the only apothecary Shop in Lexington for a good many years. Mr. McCalla was a man of piety and benevolence, was with his devoted wife, a Member of the 1st Presbyterian Church, and was one of the very first if not the first mover in the Establishment of the Hospital for the Insane. I think the most prominent of those who joined him in this humane effort was Thomas January and Benjn. Stout. A list of the names of those persons who at once became contributors to the "Fayette Hospital" are given in Mr. Ranck's History p. 285. Mr. McCalla's only daughter became the wife of James Clark esqr. a member of Congress for this district, whose residence then was Nicholasville Jessamine Co. His two sons Rev. Wm. L. and Genl. John M. were graduates of Transylvania, while I was a student. They early shewed a taste or passion for books, and each—(Note—on margin of page). Mr. McCalla's advertisement of his farm for Sale dated July 1795 and its location &c may be seen at Lexington Library. Presented by Mrs. Geo. W. Norton. Published in "Stewart's Kentucky Herald" two numbers of which he has preserved under glass. They contain advertisements of my father and other merchants and other matters gratifying to the curious.

had a separate library while at school, their names to a printed card on the inside cover of each book. I had the loan from each of them—the printed card with Nos. on them of each of them had a separate latin motto—with Williams it was "Litera sunt Lividies" with John's was "pabutum mentis," with the additional words He who borrows a book and fails to return it is guilty of larceny. John's library had grown to a very considerable size before he left Kentucky. It was very much Statistical, Historical, and political, but somewhat miscellaneous. They were both excellent students, and maintained a good standing in their respective classes. John & myself were pretty intimate at College, we were French scholars in the same class. He was an earnest warm hearted man, and we were earnest laborers together years afterward in a season of interest or revival in the churches here.

Genl. McCalla built his residence on the lot, formerly that of Thos. January and of his father Peter January, Sr. on Mill Street opposite the College lot, and resided there for a number of years the same building with some addition as the one now occupied by Ben Gratz Esqr. He was an active citizen, liberal, hospitable, and public spirited. He was a volunteer in the war of 1812, and was highly esteemed as an officer—I had several letters from his whilst on that campaign and also from James P. Parker another fellow student.—He was from first to last a warm democratic politician, and for several years Marshall of the State. He married Miss Maria Hogg of South Carolina a lady of beauty and amiability—esteemed in the Social circle. I have lost sight of their children, who were promising when young, but I think they are all dead. Rev. W.L. McCalla had a great deal of enthusiasm in his composition, and was chivalric in his character. His first sermon I heard in the 1st Presbn. church from the text, Keep thy heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life. Prov. 4:23 in the year 1812-13.

John D. Clifford from Philadelphia, emigrated and settled in Lexington I think about the year 1808 with his mother and two sisters came to K. with him one of whom was married to his pastor rev. John Ward, who had charge of a small Academy for youth of both sexes, for some years in own house on Second Street N.E. side beyond the residence of Mr. Thos. January. Mr. Clifford was a man of Education, of Science and letters, and possessed of considerable means. He had a valuable Library Scientific Religious and Miscellaneous. He had been known to declare that he would not exchange it for the Lexington Library. He married Mary the younger daughter of Wm. Morton, Esq. and was a zealous member of the Episcopal Church, to which he was a liberal contributor. He was the leader and principal founder of the Lexington Atheneum, which however died out after his decease mainly for the want of adequate patronage. Mr. C. was instrumental in placing in it a Museum of Natural Curiosities. Periodicals publications, Magazines, Scientific publications & select newspapers with a splendid Atlas were found on its tables. The cabinet of minerals and curiosities were particularly rich in those of domestic origin, and principally his private property on deposit in the room. Strangers were introduced by the Subscribers to the Reading Room and were welcomed to it during their stay in town. It was placed in the Second Story of the 3 Story building Short St. next door to Col. Morrison's.

Mr. Clifford carried on the Mercantile business for some years connecting the exportation of produce with it and was in the main successful in his operations. He is the author of several contributions of a scientific character and on Natural History communicated to Hunt's Western Review published in Lexington in 1819-20. He died in May 1820 in the 42d. year of his age, a very becoming obituary is published of him in that periodical. His residence was in the South east corner of Market and Second Street.

Abner LeGrand who married Sarah the eldest daughter of Wm. Morton, Esqr. carried on a business several years in Lexington in the early past of the century. Having married without the consent of his father, he received no aid from him in his start, his means being small he was unfortunate in business. My father thought Mr. LeGrand's failure was more honorable than any he had known in Lexington before him. He made several attempts to do something at the Auction and Commission business after years engaged in this business he took in as a partner in it Mr. William N. Bentley an Englishman, brother in law of Mr. Edward Church, who put a period to his existence by laudanum and shooting himself with a pistol in an upper room in my father's house next door to our store. Bentley was a moral and amiable man, but very near sighted, and this nearness of vision, it was believed at the time in addition to other causes led to the perpetration of this fatal deed. An instance or two of his vexatious annoyance by it were related at the time. This occurred in the early part of 1823—He had been somewhat noticed for a short time for abstractness of habit & solitariness. This melancholy instance reminds me of another memorable suicide also only a few yards off from our house. Mr. J. B. Borland a gentleman of Capital education and worth came to Lexington in 1815-16 from Boston a graduate of Yale college carried on a business in a retail store for a year or two on N.E. side of Main Street, first in a Store near the corner of Cheapside, but in the second place to the 3 story building on the diagonal corner from our store. He was thought to be doing well in his business and was much esteemed but was very near sighted, and put a period to his existence by first cutting his own throat, and then throwing himself out of a garret window, on the pavement below in Mill Street, in the fall of 1816. I saw from a back window the crowd of several neighbours rushing to the scene. No cause whatever was assigned for the act by any of his friends or neighbours but dissatisfaction with life at painful feelings from some instances that had occurred and were recurring in not recognizing female friends and acquaintances in his store. Mr. Chambers confirms this opinion 1874 and says Mr. B. was well off and wholly unembarrassed in his circumstances.

Cornelius Coyle
an Irish Catholic came to Lexn. about 1788 or 89 a tailor who by his attention to his business for a long course of years acquired a considerable fortune in Lexn. It seems the more surprising when we are informed that his common price for making a coat was two dollars and a half. He bought the property which had been for years the tavern stand of Stephen Collins, a red house S.W. side Main street a part of the next lot adjoining to my father's, & subsequently bought and built on by my uncle, Mr. Gatewood. His dwelling house and shop were in the same building. Mr. Coyle's fortune was much reduced by Securityship and endorsement for friends, and by taking into partnership a nephew John Coyle who came to him from Ireland about the year 1813 or 14. John Coyle brought out from Philadelphia a larger stock of Goods which they opened in the large room of Mr. Coyle's dwelling house (built by John Jordan Jr. then on the corner of Main & Upper Street (Coyle's corner of Jordan's row) in the year 1815 an unfavorable year for business. they very soon discontinued, and wound up their business.—Mr. Coyle had two engaging and accomplished daughters Eleanor & Millicent—they were very agreeable girls subsequently well married and Eleanor the best dancer perhaps in Lexington. The sons left Lexington I think to the South. He died in the year ____ leaving after all his losses a pretty good property to his family.

John Brand, a native of Scotland, and manufacturer of Rope and Bagging, came to Lexn. about the 1st of the Century. With a knowledge of his business and an energetic attention to it he acquired in a moderate length of time an independent fortune. As a man of business and a financier, he became one of the leading men of the city. Was one of the Directors of the United States Branch Bank and afterwards of the Northern Bank of Kentucky on each of which boards I served with him for several years. He acquired property and means with great rapidity purchased the property he lived on Lexington and built his residence thereon, a farm of 400 acres at least N. of Lexington about 4 miles on which his son Alexr. built his residence and resides, a larger tract still in Woodford County about 10 miles from Lexn., and several valuable Store houses on Main Street, and other lots and property of a valuable description—to leave home with the greater facility, having determined to visit his native land, he sold the bagging he should manufacture for the year 1818, and had the satisfaction when reaching his old home of paying off in full with interest some debts he had owed before emigrating from his native country. This purchase was made by my father and myself in company with our friend J.P. Schatzell.

His growing affluence and a change of times led Mr. Brand to decline for some years before the decline of life, the pursuit he had so long carried on, and like his friends John W. Hunt and Elisha Warfield found a congenial and profitable occupation in the cultivation of his farms. Mr. Brand like Mr. Hunt was eminently successful. He was distinguished for his marked punctuality and integrity.

His discharging his large debt in Scotland and the time and manner of doing it is itself the illustration of a life. I will only add that in more than a half centurys knowledge of the business of Lexington and its Merchants and Manufacturers I know of no similar instance. He died in the year ____ in about the ___ year of his age.

Mr. John Peter Schatzell while a youth came from Guernsey to Philadelphia, and was immediately taken into the employ of Mr. John Lisle, a Merchant of that city, and acquired under him a knowledge of business, and habits as a Merchant—afterwards became a leading clerk in the importing house of Cranston, Alexander & Smith, having connections in both England and Ireland. It was I think under their auspices that he brought out first a large stock of Goods to Lexington, and established himself in the Wholesale business; connecting with it the purchase of certain articles of Produce in the early part of the year 1808, and continued in it till the year 1819—He had some reverses here in his large transactions, and some difficulties or misunderstandings with those with whom he had been so long connected, and an unsatisfactory issue with them, or an Agent Woodward, who acted for them. About this time my father and Mr. James Weir stepped forward by Bond as General guarantee that his settlement should prove satisfactory and right, and matters being arranged to his satisfaction, Mr. Schatzell removed to Matamoras, Mexico, where he became American Consul, and by a judicious course of business acquired a large fortune, and retired to Corpus Christi, Texas, to secure and improve some valuable property there and its vicinity. Mr. Schatzell only made two short visits to Kentucky after leaving it, and in the last one in the year 1850 on learning from one of our friends Leonard Wheeler that my business

matters were considerable embarrassed, saw me, and for my relief presented me with a Check on a Bank in New Orleans for the handsome sum of Ten thousand dollars, which that it might with the more certainty be enjoyed by my family, made it the purchase of my corner property as received from my father, and conveyed it to my wife's cousin and our friend Geo. R. Trotter as Trustee for Mrs. Leavy and children. (Our friend M.C. Johnson wrote the papers, which were duly executed). As I had some years before borrowed of John Brand now deceased the sum of Eight thousand dollars, and gave this property on mortgage to secure it, I of course immediately paid the amount to his son George, as his Executor, listing my Notes and legal title to the property—He died at Corpus Christi in the year ____ My father and myself from the most intimate and long experience and knowledge always found and considered Mr. Schatzell a man of the strictest integrity and honour. He was a most accomplished clerk, and man of business, strictly just and high minded. His munificent benefaction to me was wholly unexpected. Several letters passed between us after he returned home. Before removing from Lexington Mr. Schatzell made a donation to the Lexington Library of Weiland's Works, in the original German in 42 volumes.

John S. Sneed son in law of Capt. John Postlethwait having married Martha his second daughter had been some years as Clerk for Wm. Morton, and then a partrner the firm John S. Sneed & Co. showed a good knowledge of business and excellent talents as a Merchant. After pursuing business a few years in Lexington removed to Louisville in the year ____ where he died.

James Weir who ought to have had an earlier place in this Memoir came to Lexington from the North of Ireland abut the year 1788, was distinguished for his business talents, close attention to business, and a most successful career. He prospered in almost everything he undertook.. In addition to his store in Lexington, he carried on here a Bagging Factory and Rope Walk for a number of years, and a large Cotton Factory at his Farm of 400 acres on south Elkhorn in Woodford County which contained also a Mill Seat in which he had a great many hands employed. Mr. Weir lost a good deal of money by his endorsement for Lewis Sanders, on his failure, but left a very large Estate to his nephews Henry James and George Weir, latter was for some years

at the Factory in Woodford which fell to him, the Lexington property to James. James retired from active business resided on a farm near Lexington for some years, and removed to Texas, not far from San Antonio, where he made the purchase of a large and valuable estate—Henry a Single man died early—James (who married a beautiful and amiable lady the daughter of Capt. Benjamin Berry by whom he had an interesting family of daughters principally and a son) was held in the highest estimation by his friends and acquaintances in Lexington and whilst there was a Member and an esteemed elder in the same Presbyterian church with myself. His removal and that of his amiable family was much regretted.

Mr. Weir's Woodford Cotton Factory presented the most smiling and beautiful appearance when I went with M.T. Scott as Commissioner in the year ____ to appraise it. There were a number of white cottages with their families all employed in the Mills and Cotton Factory—White families entirely. These had for years been the operatives—these with the Farm, Watercourse & mills presented a beautiful picture for the eye to behold. Now, the Cottages moved off, nothing in the way of human habitation but the old farm house and now a flour mill Mr. Coltenham from Bourbon a miller the owner.

Robert & Alexr. Frazer, brothers, came to Lexington in 1799 or 1800 having emigrated from the North of Ireland. They were watchmakers and jewellers at first as partners, subsequently each a separate shop. Robert never married, and survived his brother for many years. He was distinguished as an active and highly esteemed citizen of considerable reading and intelligence, of sound principles, strict integrity, and unblemished character, of public spirit and liberality. He was eminently successful in business, and had a singular satisfaction in aiding and advancing the fortunes of his nephew and relatives particularly of his nephew Robert, son of a brother in Ireland who succeeded him in business, at his life long business stand S.E. corner of Main and Upper Street, afterwards removing to the country for his health, having married a Catholic lady Miss Coleman of great beauty and amiability; and Oliver the well known and esteemed Artist, who after pursuing his studies for several years in Europe, continued for some short time to receive the instructions of our distinguished portrait painter Mr. Jouett marrying Miss Mitchell niece of Mrs. Jouett.—

Alexr. Frazer married Nancy Oliver sister of Mrs. Geo. Anderson, and of Mrs. Elizh. Boggs. He had two sons Jas. who died soon after being grown, and Oliver the Artist. Robert left a handsome property. He improved 3 or 4 lots on Main Street with 3 story brick buildings and other property. He died with the universal regret of his fellow citizens in the year ___. For the benefit of his health and to continue him in the enjoyment of it—his sedentary business demanding it, Mr. Frazer was in the habit for many years of taking a regular morning's walk from the hour of Sunrise or before it to early breakfast 2 or 3 miles. In this he was very often joined by me, and by our friend Wm W. Wesley and occasionally by Mr. John Lockwood. I and I believe all proved its salutary use (Haply some hoary headed swain may say, Oft have we seen him at the peep of dawn, Brushing with hasty steps the dews away, To meet the sun upon the upland lawn.—Gray).

As I intend making these pages in part a statistical record of the rise and progress of Lexington, its population, manufactures, and business, I will here state its population at several periods and dates. At the time of my father's arrival here in 1787 or 88 he was of the opinion the population in 1788 did not exceed ..... 500 people in all it was certainly less than that. In McCabe's Directory of Lexn. for 1838-39 he says the population of Lexington, not more than 50 houses, did not contain in 1789 more than 350 inhabs. perhaps less, the venerable Danl. Bradford (Danl. Bradford came to Lexington with his father from Virginia in the year 1785) of the Gazette was probably his informant, I think it probably it is short of the truth of the case, but it was rapidly increasing. According to the Census of 1790 it was 834. In the year 1795 by Guthrie's Geography improved it was estimated at 1500 to 2000


the population was



the population of Lexn. according to Mr. Ranck, 220 page was 2400 (& Cinci. 750)  


population, of which whites 2100, free blacks 47, slaves 926 — Dr. Bishop 3133  


according to Mr. Ranck, p. 241 (blurred out)



by census Lexington contained



by Bishop's outlines of which whites 3356, blacks 1479, 4835  
  (The population of the state of Kentucky in the year 1790 was 73,667 of which 12,430 were slaves)  


Lexington contained about



by McCabe's Directory

about 7000


by Mr. Ranck p. 363



by Mr. Ranck p. 383




(These increases are owing to the increase in blacks)

Census Report & City Assessor's differ the estimate by Mr. R. 404



the population of Lexington by Mr. R. believed to be

18 or 20000

There must be great inaccuracy or error in some of these statements.—The above facts will show a very considerable fluctuation in the population at different periods, and is worthy a proper scrutiny and investigation of the causes of these striking changes.

Original establishment of Lexington by the State of Virginia and its earliest Trustees.

The original Deed to Francis McDermid of one of his town lots as a settler is in my possession bears date 22d. March 1781 the year of our Lord 1783 and of the Commonwealth the seventh given in consideration of residence and improvements—Lot F. containing 4 1/2 acres, adjoining Lot E. and extends from Short Street to second.—The Deed opens in these terms, Robert Patterson, William Mitchell, Andrew Steel, William Henderson, William McConnell, William Steel and Robert Todd, Gentlemen, Trustees of the Town of Lexington to all to whom these presents shall come greeting: Know ye whereas the General Assembly of Virginia by an Act to establish a town at the Court House in the County of Fayette passed the 1st day of July in the year of our Lord 1782 did vest in us a certain tract of Land for the purpose of a Town establishing the same by the name of Lexington, to be by us conveyed to the Settlers in said town and to Purchasers of Lots &c (and signed by a majority of said Trustees).

Outlot E. corner Main cross and Short Street extending to 2d. Street was deeded to Thos. Kennedy, assignee of David Mitchell decd. Known by its designation as Letter E. running on Cross Street (Broadway) 40 poles to 2d. street and 17 1/2 poles to Short street to McDermid's Lot (near to Mill Street). This Deed was signed by the Trustees in 1790 by Robert Patterson, Robert Todd, John Parker, Saml. Blair, John Coburn, Robt. Barr, and James Parker.—This Lot afterwards sold by Kennedy to Nathaniel Wilson and Dr. Frederick Ridgely, and then to others.

The original Deed of the Trustees for in Lot distinguished on the general draft or plan of said Town by its number 44 lying on Main Street and Mill Street conveyed to Christopher Greenup for and in consideration of the actual settlement made by him measuring on Main Street four poles and thirteen poles on Mill Street to the Town commons, containing fifty two square poles bears date 4th. day of July in the year of our Lord 1789 and in the 14th year of our independence. This deed begins—To all to whom these presents shall come we Robert Patterson, Robert Todd, Samuel Blair, John Coburn, Robt. Barr, and James Parker and Robert Parker.—in the County of Fayette in the Commonwealth of Virginia Trustees for the Town of Lexington send greetings: Know ye that whereas by virtue of an Act of the General Assembly instituted an Act to establish a town of the Court House in the county of Fayette seven hundred and ten acres of Land in the county aforesaid was vested in the said Trustees aforesaid and established a town by the name of Lexington with power in the said Trustees or four of them to convey to settlers and purchasers the several lots therein contained under certain restrictions reference being had to the said recited act will more fully and at large appear. This Lot was conveyed by Christopher Greenup (elected Governor of Kentucky in 1804) and Catherine his wife to William Leavy 23d. August 1802 for and in consideration of Three Hundred pounds paid. He purchased and paid to Col. Greenup 5th. October 1793 1000$ Cash for this Lot as seen by the Original Bond and Rect. in my possession. Col. Greenup was at this time a resident of Mercer County. My father was therefore a renter of this corner Store and Lot from 1789 first as Agent for John Duncan in 1788 & afterwards in his own name to its purchase. Col. Greenup received for this eligible corner Lot in the heart of Lexington scarcely more probably than the improvements had cost him.—It contained beside the log house store on the corner and a smaller one beside on Main street the old log framed dwelling adjoining the store on Mill Street (in which I was born) and an old log house on the lot.

From the best information I can obtain Lexington was not regularly laid off into Town Lots before 1782, the year of its incorporation by the Virginia Legislature, although it is probable some preliminary surveys were made by the Trustees, Col. Patterson at their head, Dr. McMillan a fellow citizen & fellow student (deceased only a few years ago) informed me that his father Mr. Saml McMillan informed him that he had rendered some assistance to Col. Robt. Patterson as a chain carrier when he made the 1st. survey of the town. Mr. McMillan resided lot D. Main cross street. N.W. corner of Short & Main cross

Deeds were made in 1782 and afterwards. The In lots numbered, were laid out on Main Street on each side and extended from Locust street below Lower street on the West to Mulberry or the street immediately beyond it on the east, and to Water Street or the Commons as it was called on the South, and on High Street as far east as Mulberry and West to Lower Street. The In Lots were laid off fronting 4 poles and thirteen poles deep to the town commons. The Out Lots, Lettered, were laid out all North from Short Street and beyond, and South from High street to Maxwell and contained each several acres. First street afterwards called Church Street was not then laid off but Out Lots extended from Short Street to Second. Lots also South of the Commons (or Water) Street were out lots to High street.

In the year 1803 and 1804 Mill street was not extended beyond 2d. Street on the North, nor beyond High Street on the South and I am sure not until 1805 or the following year. T. January's Rope Walk-Hemp house & Rope Walk were from 2d. street on N.W. corner of Mill to Third street or near it, and Jimmy Kern's on N.E. corner of 2d. & Market & extending to 3d. Street. The college lot extended to each of these Rope Walks east & west had a post and rail fence on the front and rear; i.e., on Second and third streets.—

The first stone pavements, in the Streets were made by my father and by Lewis Sanders on Main Street, and by my father on Main Street and Mill, Saml. Trotter on Mill street between Main & Water street in the year 1805. These first pavements were soon followed by others and by the City opposite the Court house all of the same description. They were laid edge ways and of building rock. It was a number of years afterwards before the small broken stone or Macadamized pavements superceded them. My father's brick house two story next to his corner was built by Springle & Robb or by John Robb in the year 1803—the store house & residence corner Main & Mill 1807 and his 3d. brick building in the year 1808. Lewis Sanders built his 1st. 3 story dwelling & store 4 doors west from the corner of Mill Street N.E. side of Main St. in the year 1805. The old stone Court house taken down, and the present one built by Stephens & Winslow in the year 1805.

The two handsome 2 story dwelling houses N.E. Corner of Short and Mill streets fronting on Short Street still standing, 1874, and for some years the Brokerage & Banking house and residence of David A. Sayre were built by Springle or Robb the corner for the Hon. John Pope and the one next the corner for Dr. James Fishback, in the year 1803; they were not long married and to sisters, daughters of Col. Wm. Christian of Jefferson a revolutionary officer whose wife was sister to Patrick Henry of Va. Col. J. Morrison built his 3 story residence N.W. corner Short & Upper Street the same year. Kentucky Hotel, Short St. W. of Col. Morrison, 2 buildings of 3 stories each same or following year.

John Jordan Jr. built his new dwelling & store N.E. corner Main & Upper in 1803 & projected Jordan's row, soon after principally built by others, Dr. Walter Warfield, an excellent old citizen, built the upper corner of that row corner S.W. Short & Upper & resided there until his death in 1805 or 1806. His first wife, the mother of his three children, was also a daughter of Col. Christian, his second Mrs. Nathl. Wilson, a sister of Alexr. Parker. Dr. W. was a very highly esteemed and excellent citizen. His daughter Annie H. became the wife of Wm. W. Blair Esq. a Lawyer & Judge of high standing & note. One son Chas. Henry practiced medicine with his father a few years a very estimable gentleman & died early, the younger son Willm. became a Minister of the Baptist Church & removed to Christian County.

My father's store house & dwelling occupied by himself & me to the year 1842 was built in 1807 the brick work by Maddox & John Tisher—carpenter's work by Stephens & Winslow. As was the Store house & dwelling of Saml. Trotter, corner Mill Street & Main, and on Mill, erected about the same time. As was the dwelling house & Hat Store of Patterson Bain N.E. corner Main Street & Broadway. My father's 3d brick store house on Main Street, owned now by Hoeing, in 1803. The buildings now mentioned were the best buildings & the first really considered handsome ones built in Lexington to this time. The 1st 3 story store and dwelling erected on Main Street, owned and occupied for many years by George Trotter Senr. as his store house & residence, was built just before the beginning of the century by a wealthy person, Montgomery Bell, who was a Hatter by trade (uncle of Patterson Bain) who afterwards owned and carried on Iron furnaces and forges on the Cumberland river, and often made his home at Nashville. He left a handsome estate but never married. Three handsome 3 story Store-houses, built by G.W. Sutton, occupy the place of this house & another below it.

The Public Square
as originally laid off extended to Mill Street, and the Western portion of it, extending from what is now called Cheapside to Mill Street and from Main to Short street, was sold by the Trustees of the Town to "the Presbyterian Congregation of Lexington, professing the principles of the New York and Philadelphia Synod," and title passed by act of the Virginia Assembly in 1789 this Act authorizing the Trustees to sell and convey the property to the said Congregation. The Trustees of the Presbyterian congregation on 1st. November 1792 sold the lots on Main Street to four individual purchasers on a ground rent for 99 years and renewable at prices varying from five shillings and nine pence per foot fronting on Main Street the lots varying in width 25 feet and upwards extending 77 feet 7 inches back to a 10 foot alley separating these lots from the Lot reserved for a Presbyterian Meeting House—the purchaser of each lot to erect a building of two stories of either brick or stone and to extend 40 feet back and 20 feet to the third floor to be uniformly shingled with walnut shingles. See p. 59. The Presbyterian Meeting house was a frame building built in 1795 or 1796 the entrance from Mill Street, and within a few feet of the Alley separating it from the building lots on Main Street. Rev. James Welsh, who taught school and practised mainly for his support was their first Minister, and continued so for nine years to the year 1804. He was a Teacher of Languages in Transylvania University and in 1802-3 taught a small number of boys in his private academy on High Street adjoining the residence and Shop of Mr. Edward West, which I attended, being helped over the muddy places by a servant boy, King only lately deceased on Woodford.

This first Meeting house of the 1st Presbyterian Church was taken down in the year 1805 the property owned and occupied was sold, to enable them to erect a new brick building S.W. corner of 2d. Street & Broadway. An act of the Kentucky Legislature was passed to enable them to dispose of the first lot. Their new building was erected in 1806 although it was not regularly occupied for worship until 1808. The exhibitions of the students of the University were regularly held in the old frame building previous to the year 1805. There I gave my first speech in public

as one of the youngest pupils in the year 1804. These exhibitions subsequently for a number of years were held in the Presbyterian church corner 2d and Broadway. (see page 58) An original Deed for one of these four Lots executed to Col. James Trotter by the Trustees of the Lexington Presbyterian Congregation—Leasing the Lot of 25 feet 6 inches front on Main Street at five shillings nine pence per foot per annum making the annual rent $30.19 some of the lots leased as high as nine shillings per foot ground rent for ninety nine years and renewable it is for Lot. No. 3 and bears date Novr. 1st 1792 and was signed by Robert Patterson, John Maxwell, Robert Megowan, Henry Marshall, and John McDowell Trustees of said congregation. On this lot Col. T. built immediately a two story brick store house according to contract, and occupied it as a store from the year 1793. see note—The other lots were leased at the same time. The one at the corner of Mill Street by Col. Thos Irwin & his partners John Bryson Irwin & Bryson a store house of stone next to them Elisha & Joseph Winters of brick and the one on the Eastern corner by the heirs of Joseph Bears a stone house George Anderson became the builder & owner & kept his store there and resided in same for many years.

These excellent citizens (Trustees of the P. Church) in purchasing the Lot from the Trustees of the Town and its subsequent disposal I have no doubt felt they were taking the most important steps to advance the best interests of Religion and Society, and little dreamed of the immense pecuniary sacrifice they were making in selling so early their purchase of the "Western part of the Public Square."—

In this instance we are somewhat reminded of the wealthy entails of Trinity Church in New York by what might, though on a much smaller scale, with nursing and a prudent foresight have been the income of the Presbyterian Congregation of Lexington.

A regular Presbyterian Church was organized says Mr. Bishop in his account of the churches of Lexington under the Rev. Adam Rankin from Augusta County, Virginia some time in 1784 or 5. On Mr. Rankin leaving the Presbyterian Body in 1791 the house which had been erected for a Meeting house, with the Lot upon which it stood, being an Out Lot, were claimed and held by him and his adherents. He appears to have taken along with him a majority of the Members of the Church. Mr. Rankin and his adherents worshipped in a brick, unfinished, until the Society dissolved. Morton City School was built on its site, corner S.W. of Walnut & Short Street continued.—

The Presbyterian Church & Congregational professing the principles of the New York & Philadelphia Synod after the ministrations of Mr. Welsh had ceased was without a regular pastor until the year 1808 in their new building, when they were served by Rev. Robert Cunningham, from the State of Georgia, who continued with them the period of 14 years preaching three sabbaths out of four the other sabbath to a Country Congregation, Rev. James Blythe whose church was at Pisgah as stated supply for the other Sabbath. When he took charge the communicants did not exceed forty in number, when he left 1822 they were upwards of a hundred. From 1804 to 1808 the only stated regular preaching Presbyterians was by Mr. Rankin, but having a country congregation and confined in Winter he did not

average preaching oftener than every 3d. sabbath. Yet the population of the town in 1808 was white persons 2,100 free blacks 47 slaves 986 in all 3133. The first Presbyterian Congregation in Lexington was likely the first congregation in Kentucky which made arrangements to secure regular public worship every sabbath. From the latter part of Mr. Cunningham's ministry from the increase of population and the multiplication of families the congregation greatly increased. This was still more discernable after the commencement of the ministry of Revd. Nathan H. Hall in the year 1823 which seemed greatly to be blessed—More especially in a deep and extensive Revival of Religion under it in the year 1828. About or shortly after this I have seen the whole lower part of the Church at one season filled with Communicants. Mr. Hall may without exception be considered the most powerful and successful preacher, especially for Seasons of Revival, that the Presbyterian Church has ever had in Lexington, the number of Communicants in his church at this time exceeded four hundred. But deaths and removals in a few years had greatly reduced the number. Very unfortunately for him and the church Mr. Hall was very much embarrassed in his affairs when he removed from Springfield to Lexington—his second marriage—the widow of Genl. Geo. Trotter Jr. & sister of hon. John Pope he continued to suffer from his embarrassments or bad management until his final removal to Missouri in the year 1846 or 7 after a ministry of the 1st. church of 23 years.

For a few years the business of Contractors in Lexington for Army supplies for the United States was considerable. My father for light money to send to Philadelphia paid cash for Bills of Nat Shaw Assistant Quarter Master from July 22 1794 to Feby 18 1800 the sum of Thirty two thousand dollars $32,000: and to Col. James Morrison from June 25 1797 to 1 Feby. 1800 the sum of Thirteen thousand five hundred dollars the items and dates of bills &c I gather from Memos of these accounts on his books.

Other Merchants probably bought bills from these Contractors, as Saml. & Geo. Trotter & others during the same period.

About the office of Sheriff Charles Carr was not the first Sheriff as mentioned by Mr. Ranck. His father Walter Carr was Sheriff & Chas. D. Shf. in the years 1802 &3. Col. Jas. Trotter was Walter Carr's security in 10,000$ penalty on his returns. The Magistrates by Seniority in turn were the sheriffs some of these are mentioned by Mr. Ranck p. 61 some are omitted among others Gwin R. Tompkins in the years p. 208. 1800 & 1801 and John Parker in 1804-5 Chas. Carr D.S. Wm. R. Morton Deputy Shf. repeatedly, James E. Davis D.S. Wm. Ford Shf. 1786-1797 & 8 Jos. Cosby D.S. 1794-5 John C. Richardson was Shf. and John C. Richardson Jr. was D.S. for some years 1st for his father afterwards for others. Robt True was sheriff before Waller Bullock

The Lexington White Lead Manufacturing Company of which Saml. & Geo. Trotter were at the head and the largest owners was chartered by the Legislature of Kentucky in the year 1812. Capital $50,000—Saml. Trotter was President—My father was also one of the proprietors. It was for a few years successful Its business was very large from its commencement to at least 1820—planned and erected and carried on by an ingenious chemist from Massachusetts, Mr. Anson turner; but by the death of the Manager mainly, and the cost of the raw material which was brought from St. Louis, it was at length discontinued at considerable loss. Their white lead was sent through Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky and other states with great reputation. The valuable Real Estate with appurtenances which cost the Company the sum of $38,000 was sold by the acting president W.A. Leavy at the moderate sum of $6,500 in the year 1834 to Mr. Wm. Richardson, where a woolen manufacture was established for a time by his brother Henry Richardson. The property has been made doubtless to yield a better return to its late owners for a Pork Packing House and distillery. Messrs. Clay Turner & Co. and others

Edward West,
an ingenious artist and inventor and his family I knew well. His residence and Whitesmith Shop pursued his business as a Watchmaker and Silversmith the lot on High street 66 feet front extending to Water a corner lot Mill Street on the eastern side, came to Lexington from Virginia in 1785 Joshua Humphreys Senr. in the same business in Lexington was probably before him. His lot was immediately opposite my father's. He was considered in Lexington as the first inventor of Steam Navigation, and made the trail of a small steamboat on the town fork of Elkhorn in Water Street before a large crowd of citizens in the year 1793. If there be any doubt of his being the discoverer, and if some others were really before him in this glorious discovery I am satisfied it was original with him. He also invented a Machine for the Manufacture of cut nails said to be the first of its kind in the United States, for which he received a patent, and received a large sum for it. Mr. West was very highly esteemed as a Citizen and occasionally served the public as a Trustee of the Town. He was unquestionably a man of genius and had a remarkably bright and expressive eye and countenance—domestic and amiable in his character and habits—much wrapped up in his studious attention to the subject which engrossed his mind. I do not think his Steam boat invention ever turned him out any profit—Two sons inherited much of his genius and talent John B. who settled in Nashville and William both now deceased. They each attained considerable distinction as artists, the former as a Miniature and the latter as a portrait painter. William passed many of the closing years of his life like his illustrious relative Sir Benjamin West enjoying the fostering patronage of the British public in the City of London.—Mr. West had also several very agreeable daughters. Kitty the eldest was particularly so. She was married to Dr. Arthur Campbell, son of Robt. Campbell one of our earliest citizens, who resided on high Street North Side between Upper & Mulberry, they had two sons promising young men, brought up to business in Nashville T. Another daughter married Mr. Simon Bradford an estimable gentleman, who embarked in business in Nashville with his brother-in-law John B. West.

(To be continued)

Transcribed October 2001 by pb

Back to Fayette County Genealogy and History