J. G. W. PIERSON --1897
Mr. Pierson was one of the few early settlers in
Hamilton who was born in Texas. He was born in Grimes County, July
10, 1850, and came to Hamilton in 1862, settling with his father on the
Leon River about 10 miles east of Hamilton in 1867. The early
settlers were suffering from attacks by Comanche, Apache, and Kiowa
Indians, and while yet a boy Pierson helped fight them. He entered
Salado College in 1869 and later attended Texas Military Institute where
he became Captain of Cadets. He then read law in the office of
Terrell & Walker and was admitted to the bar at Comanche in
1874. He practiced law with C.
N. Rutherford and later with J.
A. Eidson. He was elected county judge in 1878 and served two
terms. During his administration four iron bridges were constructed
in Hamilton County. In 1889 he went to Oklahoma and started a
newspaper at Purcell, Indian Territory, and was afterwards sent to
Washington to lay before Congress some important matters in the interest
of the territory. In 1891 he entered the Comptroller's office and
was made chief clerk of the tax department, where he remained four
years. He then resigned and returned to Hamilton where he spent
several years preparing an abstract of land titles in Hamilton County for J.
T. James. He was a Democrat and belonged to the part of the
Christian Church called "progressive."
The County News has been informed that Mr. Pierson was
an uncle of Craik Pierson, F.
C. and J. M. Williams, all now (1938) living in Hamilton.
HAMILTON COUNTY NEWS, Vol. VIII, No. 7
THE CARLTON CITIZEN, Vol. 30, No. 23
Friday, June 24, 1938
W. F. Billingslea, Publisher, Hamilton