Chapin Howard came to town in 1804, and engaged in the tanning business at West Townshend.  He, in connection with his various partners, continued in that business at West Townshend until the fall of 1832, when he removed to the East Village, where he lived the remainder of his days.  In 1834-5-6 he was chosen representative to the General Assembly.  At his death he left a widow a number of daughters and three sons, A. C. Howard, Ormando S. Howard and Banbridge E. Howard.


      Chapin Howard’s eldest son was born in West Townsend, March 29, 1812, and died at his residence in the East Village Jan. 9, 1881.  In 1835 he went to Michigan, then a territory, where he invested in real estate and laid the foundation of his future large fortune.  March 9, 1841, he was married to Hannah E., daughter of Daniel and Lucy (Stephens) Cobb of Windham, and took his wife to Townshend, where he remained until 1858, when he removed to Chester, Vt., remaining there 10 years, when he purchased the homestead of his deceased father, where he spent the remainder of his days.  At the time of his death he was a director of the People’s National Bank of Brattleboro.  He represented Townshend in the Legislature of 1846 and 1847, and Chester in 1859-60.  He was also a member of the constitutional convention of 1870.  He bequeathed a legacy of $10,000 for the benefit of the poor of his native town.


      Second son of Chapin Howard, was born at West Townshend, Jan. 3, 1816, and died at Townshend, July 21, 1889.  He was during his life, a resident of his native town.  He was married April 26, 1839, to Mary A. Fisher, and again July, 1852 to Mrs. Lucy M. Upham.  He had a son and a daughter by his last wife.  The sons and last daughter survived him.


      Joseph Tyler, born in Uxbridge, Mass., May 21, 1737; died at Townshend, Vt., in the year 1815, aged 78.  Ruth, his wife, died in Townshend, Vt., July, 1825, aged 92.

      He removed to Townshend from Uxbridge in the winter of 1766.  Three children born to them in Uxbridge were: Lydia, Zacheus and Betsey; children born in Townshend: Ruth, Joseph and Mehitable.

      His first house was a rude log cabin, and surrounded by dense forests in every direction, when he moved his family to Townshend.  There were them some 15 families living near him, all of who, in the spirit of the age, turned out with hand-sleds and went to Brattleboro, 17 miles further down the river to help get his family to the new town.  They had no path and had to be guided by the river and marked trees.

      Joseph Tyler was a very conscientious, stern man, and was free to rebuke the sins of the early settlers, which caused him to have many enemies.  He was no friend to Great Britain and Great Britain no friend of his, as is shown by the British government once offering a reward for his head.

      The name of Joseph Tyler appears among the 15 who first formed a Congregational church in Townshend in 1778.  The first meeting house was built of logs. The first minister, Rev. Mr. Dudley.

      The Revolutionary war stirred the patriotic spirit of Joseph Tyler, and he joined a company of Vermonters, under Capt. Fletcher, and crossed the Green mountains to Ticonderoga and thence to Bennington to join Gen. Stark’s command.  He was engaged in the Bennington battle and was severely wounded, and was obliged to leave the service and went to his home a disabled man, in consequence of which he was granted a life pension.

      Soon after coming home from the army he was made a justice of the peace and was afterwards elected a member of the Legislature for two years.


      Moved to town before Vermont became a State.  He built the house where Deacon J. O. Follet now lives in 1801.  There were born to him six children.  He was an important man in town affairs.  He died in 1840.  The children were John, Lyman, Moses, Judith, Wealthy and Whitney, all of who are now dead, and mostly lived and died in town or adjoining towns.  A grandson, Bela B. Brigham, is the only descendant living at this time in Townshend.


      Was a son of Wilder Jay, lived many years ago on the farm south of one Ober’s present place.  His children W. L. Jay, now a prominent lawyer and President of Sioux National Bank of Sioux City, Iowa.  George L. Jay also of Sioux City and President of Sioux Loan and Trust Company. Helen, who is the wife of a Mr. Hudson, a merchant of St. Louis.


      Brigham Forbes, born in Uxbridge, Mass., in 1803, came with his father, Moses Forbes, to Townshend, when three years old, and is a much respected old man who still lives at the age of 88, about half a mile south of the village.


      Was born in Putney, Vt., Feb. 2, 1810.  In 1839, he married to Mary H. Plummer of Brattelboro.  They had five children: only one is now living, H. H. Ware.  Mr. Ware represented the town in the Legislature of 1880.  The fiftieth anniversary of their marriage was celebrated at their home March 25, 1889.


      Was born in Townshend in 1796, he died in 1870.  He was the only son of Jonas and Hannah Gray.  He married Melinda Johnson.  Their children were Martha, May, Oscar and Aurilla.  He faithfully served his town in various capacities.  He was a liberal supporter of Leland and Gray Seminary.  At a time of great need he gave the institution five hundred dollars.


      Was born in Winchester, N.H., about the year 1805.  His father died while Jonas was a young boy, and Jonas was bound out to a blacksmith.  He consequently learned the blacksmith’s trade.  At 21 years of age he came to West Townshend and worked as journeyman.  He soon after married a Miss Robbins of Jamaica and moved to East Townshend on what was then known as the Tyler place.  He then engaged in black-smithing [smiting] and farming until his death, Jan. 7, 1878.  While on the Tyler places his wife died, and he married for a second wife a Miss Felton of Jamaica.  This last wife still survives him and now lives with one of her daughters in Athol, Mass.  Col. Twitchell had three daughters and a son by his first wife and two daughters and a son by his last wife.  Although Col. Twitchell was not liberally educated, he was a man of good judgment and common sense, represented his town in the Legislature and at various times filled all the offices of the town.  He was also president of the Windham County Savings Bank at the time of his death.