Hiram Jones Family
Family of Hiram Jones and Rachel Ely ©
- Hiram Jones 5-4028 born 26 February 1801 in Virginia, was the son of John Jones Sr,(1) probably by his first wife. About 1829, Hiram married Rachel Ely, born 2 July 1806, daughter of Joseph and Frances Hicks Ely. Rachel died 25th February 1881 and Hiram died probably in 18893.
- Mary Jones born 18 Oct 1830 md 1848 Milton E Howard5-4025
- Emily S Jones born 23 August 1832t and died 30 Sep 1897t married 1849H* Allen Sergent
- Sarah Jones born about 1835 md 6 Sept 1853H* James "Devil Jim" Turner5-987
- Louisiana Jones born 14 Mar 1838 and died 26 Nov 1912; md 6 Sept 1855H* John Cawood5-2121. John was shot and killed from ambush not far from his home on Crummies Creek on 11 Oct 1889. It is said that seven men waited on him in ambush "four balls penetrating his breast killing him instantly, a fifth ball killing his horse which fell upon him."
- Frances "Fanny" Jones born 3 February 1843 md 1860H* Wilson Lewis5-1711
1 John's children are listed in a Harlan Circuit Court case regarding the disposal of land left in his estate.
2 The 1830 census lists a male under 5 for Hiram's household who, if a son, probably died young as the 1840 census lists only the oldest four of the girls.
3 Will written in 1887 and produced 3rd Feb 1890H* - images: pg 52 and 53 - transcript
- source notes
1850 Harlan dist 1 hh555
HCoD = Harlan County Death Records|
H* = Harlan County Marriage Records
t = tombstone
5-#### = number in Harlan Connections
Additions and corrections welcome, email email@example.com
back to the family files listing...
... or to the Southeast KYGenWeb Counties...