Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Historic Map of Fairfield Legend
Back of Historic Map of Fairfield
Thanks to Mrs. Vicki B. Pickrell for typing the back of the map.
  1. Blink Bonnie in Longtown was built by Darling Jones in 1822 as a summer residence.  Overlooking the Wateree River, it commands one of the county's finest views.  Once owned by the Robertson family.  Now owned by the M. A. Kirklands. half size map   full size map

  2. Longtown Baptist Cemetery -- originally Jones family cemetery.  Land given by Abram D. Jones in 1859 as site for Longtown Baptist Church, which had been organized in 1831.  Josiah Furman, son of founder of Furman University, was minister in 1835.  Among those buried here: Darling Jones (Revolutionary War), Colonel Nicholas Peay (Seminole War), James Caleb Clark (Condederate hero). half size map   full size map

  3. Bryant Hill Cemetery -- Burial grounds of the Tidwell, Davis and Myers familie.  Gravestone of Charles Tidwell gives birthdate as 1690. half size map   full size map

  4. Longtown Presbyterian Church. half size map  

  5. The Dixon House -- originally a Harrison home and through marriages of daughters it has been occupied by Harrisons, Moores, and Dixons for more than 100 years. half size map  

  6. The Hunter House -- built before 1820 by Abraham Ferguson.  His daughter married a Mr. Hunter.  Place now owned by the Wallace Rions. half size map  

  7. St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, consecrated August 1854, was founded in 1839 as Cedar Creek Mission.

  8. Aimwell Presbyterian Church was officially received by South Carolina Presbytery in October 1799.  First building was of logs and was situated near the head of Cedar Creek.  This is the fourth building.

  9. Ruff's Chapel, Ridgeway Methodist Church, was established about 1870.  Chapel given, built and furnished by David H. Ruff.  While bell was being cast, he threw 60 silver dollars into the molten mass and this produced an individual sweet silvery toned bell.

  10. Longleaf was the home of Colonel Henry Campbell Davis, one of the signers of the Ordinance of Secession December 20, 1860.  Now owned by a descendant of the builder, Mrs. Palmer Matthews.

  11. Ruff and Company was first store in Ridgeway.  The original building is now used as a warehouse.  Founded 1847 by David Ruff.  Oldest store in Fairfield County in continuous operation by the same family.

  12. The Century House was built 1853 by James Buchanan Coleman.  Served as Confederate Headquarters, February 17-19, 1865, while Gen. P. G. T. Beauregard waited to determine Gen. Sherman's line of march after the evacuation of Columbia.  Now used as a community center.

  13. Ridgeway Baptist Church.

  14. Mount Hope was built by John Peyre Thomas, M.D., between 1835 and 1840.  The Mount Hope School was operated by daughters of the builder for more than 20 years after the War Between the States.  Still owned by the Thomas family.

  15. Cedar Tree, built about 1853 by Edward G. Palmer for his son, Dr. John Palmer.  Now owned by Mrs. A. J. VanExem.

  16. Vaughan House, known for years as the Station House, and was an old stagecoach stop on Camden Road.

  17. Valencia, home of Edward Gendron Palmer, I, first of the Low Country planters to settle in Fairfield County in 1824, first president of the South Carolina and Charlotte Railroad Company 1847-1856.  House completed 1834.  Named Valencia for place of same name in Spain because of similar view.  The sixth generation Edward G. Palmer present owner.

  18. Cason Family Cemetery -- Cannon Cason, I, (1710-1779) and descendant, Littleton Raines, (1799-1855) and descendants buried here.

  19. Durham House built by John W. Durham prior to 1860.  Now owned by E. M. Crawford Est.

  20. Boulware Walls Burying Ground -- Muscoe Boulware (1758-1825) and descendants buried here.

  21. Rocky Mount Battle Marker -- Location of British Military post in 1780.  Gen. Thomas Sumter led unsuccessful attack on the post August l, 1780.

  22. Johnston Home was built in 1830 by James Barkley who named it "Rocky Mount." In February 1865 Sherman's troops, after leaving Winnsboro, spent 8 days and nights here because of the high waters of the Catawba River.  Everything was burned except the house, which was unharmed because James Gaston Johnston, son-in-law of the builder and owner of the house, displayed his Mason apron.  (Gen. Sherman was a Mason).  Bullet holes remain in the hall from a skirmish between stragglers and Gen. Wheelers Confederate troops.  In the home reside the great granddaughters of James Barkley, the Misses Johnston.

  23. Rocky Creek Canal -- part of the system of locks begun in 1823 to by-pass the falls of the Catawba River.  Robert Mills, S.C. State Architect, planned the construction to be part of a water route from Charleston to Tennessee.

  24. Deputary Creek -- so named because of deputations of Indians and settlers who met on its banks in the early years of the settlement, around 1760.

  25. Bethesda Methodist Church was organized 1812.  First church was erected at Grant's Old Field.  Present building built 1854-1855.

  26. Mt. Zion Baptist Church -- organized 1834.

  27. Caldwell House, Mitford Community, built before War Between The States by James Elder Caldwell.

  28. Grafton House -- property in possession of William Grafton prior to 1849.  Now owned by John C. Smith.

  29. Covenanter Cemetery -- burial ground of Scottish settlers of the Covenanter faith. (Reformed Presbyterians).

  30. Covenanter Marker on site of church where fiery patriot, Rev. William Martin, preached.  He was arrested by the British and brought before Lord Cornwallis in Winnsboro in 1781.

  31. Camp Welfare -- located on Mountain Gap Road, Negro Camp Meeting grounds.  For over 100 years revival meetings have been held on the last week of August.  About 200 cabins built in rows are passed on from one generation to the next.

  32. Mt. Olivet Presbyterian Church -- Wolf Pit (c. 1773) -- Wateree (c. 1795) -- Mt. Olivet (1800).  The church was organized about 1773 by Rev. William Martin, noted preacher of the Reformed Presbyterian or Covenanter faith.  Original building was of logs.  Name was changed in 1795 to Wateree.  A frame building was erected in 1800 and name was changed to Mt. Olivet.  Present building constructed in 1825. Return to half size

  33. White Oak Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.

  34. Robert E. Patrick Home -- brick wing was built in early 1850's.  Used at one time as manse by Concord and Mt. Olivet Presbyterian churches.  Owned by the Patrick family since 1874.

  35. Galloway-Moore House -- Pre-Revolutionary house was built by and remained in the Galloway family for many generations.  Built of hand-hewn logs, mortised and pegged together.  Purchased by Thomas D. Moore. ca. 1930, and now owned by his son T.D. Moore, Jr.

  36. Concord Presbyterian Church -- congregation was organized in 1785.  This building of brick on a foundation of large granite blocks was erected in 1818.

  37. M. T. Patrick Home -- built prior to 1865.

  38. Lewis Place built around 1840 - originally a Woodward home.  Now owned by Robert Lewis.

  39. Calvin Brice Place built just prior to the War Between the States by Calvin Brice.

  40. New Hope Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church -- first meeting place, a bush arbor, was built in 1796.  Later a log building was constructed.  Present building has a gallery and a tall bell tower.

  41. Dr. Walter Brice House -- built in the 1840's.  Building in yard known as "Doctor's Office." House now owned by H.E. Johnson.

  42. Tom "Shanty" Brice Place - one of the oldest buildings in New Hope Section.  It was the home of T.S. Brice, colorful figure and politician.

  43. Stevenson Home, built in 1856 by Robert Murdock Stevenson.  Still owned by the Stevenson family.

  44. Balwearie -- named from the Douglass Castle of Balwearie in Scotland.  Land was granted by George III of England to the Douglasses.  Owned by James Douglass, horticulturist and planter.  Now occupied and owned by Dr. John Douglass and Miss Maude Douglass.

  45. Albion, built about 1840 by Alexander Douglas, it is now used as summer home by family of the Albert G. Douglas.

  46. The Jane Turner Place - J.B. Turner was first owner.  It is now owned by his descendants.

  47. Remains of Old Jackson Creek Presbyterian Church -- originally Lebanon Meeting House, oldest congregation in Congaree Presbytery, organized 1775.  Built some time before 1800 of native stone and used until 1892.  Congregation then built new church at present Lebanon Pres. site.  There is a handsome memorial in cemetery to Lieutenant James Clark, who died a hero's death in the Mexican War in 1847.
    To see 47 on full size map in G9, click here & scroll right

  48. The Old Manse was built about the same time as Jackson Creek Church.  Was owned by the Stevensons, the Popes, and is now the home of the Wilbur Stones.
    To see 48 on full size map in F9, click here & scroll right

  49. Lebanon Presbyterian Church.
    To see 49 on full size map in F8, click here & scroll right

  50. W. K. Turner Home -- the plantation was once a part of the Winn estate.  The house was built by the Palmers in the early 1800's. It was then owned by James Lemmon and later by Dr. W. K. Turner.  It is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Frazier Blair.
    To see 50 on full size map in F9, click here & scroll right

  51. Dr. Hardy Liston Birthplace -- Born here March 30, 1889, Dr. Liston served as president of Johnson C. Smith University 1947-1856.
    To see 51 on full size map in E9, click here & scroll right

  52. Martin Place -- Robert Martin of Charleston was the builder of this house in 1816.  The house was spared during the Civil War by some of Sherman's men who had enjoyed the music played on a handsome rosewood piano by a member of the family.  It is said that they spared the house for the sake of the piano. Present owner, D. R. Martin.
    To see 52 on full size map in D9, click here & scroll right

  53. Lemmon Place -- Built by James Lemmon in 1829.  Now owned by his descendant, Miss Lillie E. Lemmon.
    To see 53 on full size map in E9, click here & scroll right

  54. The Bell Place -- Probably the oldest house in the county -- built in 1750's.  It occupies the site of one of the first "cow pens" in the upcountry.  Loop-holes for sighting and firing on the Indians may be seen.  Holes used as candle-holders still evident.  House put together with pegs.  Now owned by Mrs. Myrtle H. Wilkes.
    To see 54 on full size map in E8, click here & scroll right

  55. Happy Valley -- Old Harper home.  Later owned by the Pettigrus.  Now owned by Mrs. Bratton Hall.
    To see 55 on full size map in D8, click here & scroll right

  56. Salem Presbyterian Church -- Second church built on land given by the Means family.  Governor John H. Means was an elder in this church, also his brother, E. J. Means.  The original church (buit in 1812) was burned.

  57. Site of Hans Wagner Fort built by Hans Wagner, a Hollander, as protection for entire community during Cherokee Wars.
    Photo of Ft. Wagner Monument
    Newspaper Clipping of Erection of Ft. Wagner Monument

  58. Old Feaster Cemetery -- Andrew Feaster, early pioneer from Pennsylvania, Revolutionary War soldier, and his family buried here.

  59. Liberty Universalist Church (Liberty Meeting House) built about 1836 by John Feaster.

  60. Feasterville Female and Male Academy (Board-House) built before 1840 by John Feaster.  Early private school of the upcountry.  (Both academy and church under care and preservation of Coleman-Feaster-Mobley Family Association).

  61. The Robert W. Coleman House built in 1858, was the home of Dr. Robert William Coleman, a noted physician.  Now owned by his granddaughters, Misses Kathleen and Mary Beth Coleman.  The house was raided during the Civil War and an antique dresser still bears the mark of being torn apart.

  62. Clanmore -- home of the Faucette family.  House was built about 1856 by John C. C. Feaster.  Owned by descendants of Major Charles W. Faucette, Sr., who bought the house in 1873.  The hand carved staircase has a burned spot left by Northern soldiers who attempted to burn the house in 1865.

  63. Shelton -- early railroad station and post office.

  64. Cool Branch Baptist Church -- the original church constructed in 1844.  Replaced by brick building in 1955.

  65. Beaver Creek Baptist Church -- first building (of logs) was at headwaters of Beaver Creek.  This is second building.

  66. Coleman Cemetery -- Burial ground of Robert Coleman, early pioneer who, with his family and caravan settled on lands near here in early 1700's.

  67. Old Yongue Burying Ground -- Samuel Yongue and family buried here.

  68. Later Yongue Cemetery

  69. Mobley Meeting House -- Exact location of this historic building with foundation and ruins is about 6 miles east of marker on old field road near headwaters of Little River.  Affray during Revolutionary War took place near Meeting House.

  70. Means Cemetery -- Fairfield's only governor, John H. Mans, was first buried here, later removed to First Presbyterian Churchyard, Columbia.  Chancellor William Harper also buried here.

  71. Lyles-Feaster Home built in 1812 by Major Thomas Lyles.  Inherited by granddaughter, Mrs. John C. Feaster.  Later owned by her daughter, Mrs. B. D. Crowder.

  72. Ivy Hall -- built before the Revolution by Arramanus Lyles, first white child born in Fairfield County.  Now owned by the Blair family.

  73. Long House -- built in 1850's.  Location of old Ederington home.

  74. Old Lyles Cemetery -- Burial place of Arramanus Lyles, son of Ephraim Lyles who was killed by the Indians.

  75. Rock Creek Baptist Church -- organized in 1792, first building was on Rock Creek.  Second building built in 1830 at this site.  Recently covered with brick.
    To see 75 on full size map in C8, click here & scroll right

  76. Fonti, Flora -- built prior to the War Between the States by Dr. George Butler Pearson, whose ancestors were among Fairfield's earliest and most influential citizens.  Sherman's soldiers looted the house in 1865.  Charred wainscoting in one room is a reminder of their visit.  Home is now owned by Mrs. George Tomlin, a descendant of Dr. Pearson.
    To see 76 on full size map in C9, click here & scroll right

  77. McCrorey-Liston School -- named for 2 distinguished Fairfield educators who served as President of Johnson C. Smith University, Charlotte, N.C. - Dr. Henry L. McCrorey (b. 1863), President from 1907- 1947.  Dr. Hardy Liston (b. 1889), President from 1947-1956.

  78. Dawkins House -- owned first by John T. Dawkins in 1844, later by Charles Burley, Sr.  Now property of Charles Burley, Jr.
    To see 78 on full size map in D11, click here & scroll right

  79. Monticello Methodist Church -- built in 1861.  Unusual circular chandelier of brass with brackets for kerosene lamps hangs from ceiling.

  80. Davis Plantation Home -- built after the Revolution by Dr. Jonathan Davis who was responsible for Jefferson-Monticello Academy and Furman Institute being established in Fairfield.  The first Brahman cattle were brought to the United States by Dr. Davis on his return from Turkey where he had served as Minister of Agriculture.  Home is now owned by the Ross Robinsons.

  81. White Hall African Methodist Episcopal Church -- Manton Latta Martin and his two brothers, Jerry and John, started the movement in 1866 to build a church.  Moses Martin donated the land and in 1867 the first Negro church in Fairfield County was built, with Rev. Manton Latta Martin as its pastor.

  82. Parr Shoals -- power plants run by water, coal and atomic energy have operated here at the site of the old Parr grist mill.

  83. Chappell Place -- built in 1795 by Daniel Ruff, the great-great grandfather of the present owner, Mrs. Douglas Chappell.

  84. Mayfair -- designed and built by Colonel Wiliam Alston in 1824 and presented to his daughter, Mrs. Burrell Cook, as a wedding present.  Thomas Chappell purchased the house in 1883.  Bought recently by S. C. McMeekin of Columbia.

  85. Shiloh Methodist Church -- first built before 1835.  Present church built 1902.

  86. Fair View -- built by the Thompson family ca.1800.  In 1830 Dr. John Milton Glenn became the owner.  Present owner is Mrs. L. K. Martin.

  87. High Point. -- This property was granted to William Thompson in 1773 by King George III.  The house was built in 1800.  The name is derived from the fact that it stands on the highest point on the ridge between Columbia and Spartanburg.  The property was deeded to H. A. Glenn, a son-in-law, in 1845, and still remains in the Glenn family.

  88. Little River Baptist Church -- originally organized as Gibson's Meeting House in 1768 by Rev. Jacob Gibson.  Later became Little River Church.  Present building erected in 1845.  The same builder later designed and built the Monticello Methodist Church.

  89. Holley Place -- owned by John G. O'Neal prior to 1860.  In 1868 P. M. B. Holley acquired it.  It was later bought by Robert Martin, a Fairfield Negro who ran the first dray business in Columbia.  His descendants own the house now.

  90. Ebenezer Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church -- known as the Old Brick Church.  Building was erected in 1788.  The Rev. James Rogers, a native of Ireland, became pastor in 1791.  Inscription made by Northern soldier in 1865 may be seen on the wall inside.

  91. Kincaid Manor-Heyward Hall -- built of old English bricks by Captain James Kincaid in 1774.  Contains mahogany stairway and hand carved mantels.  The landscaped garden consisted of a series of terraces down to the creek.  Captain Kincaid is credited with the invention of the cotton gin.  Eli Whitney, while visiting in the home, made drawings of it and later built a model and secured the patent.  A Kincaid daughter married an Anderson and the name was changed to Anderson Manor.  When the Heywards bought and restored the house they called it Heyward Hall.

  92. Anderson Quarry -- called "the big rock."  Ownership goes back through the Anderson family to the Kincaids.  It is not known who first quarried granite in Fairfield, but is must have been done when the early homes and churches were built as many used granite in their construction.  Winnsboro Blue Granite is known and used throughout the United States and many parts of the world.  The quarry is now owned by John Heyward.

  93. Union Memorial Presbyterian Church -- first served as a union meeting house with Methodists and Baptists holding services in it, as well as Presbyterians.  In 1889 merged with Horeb Presbyterian Church, one of the oldest churches in the county dating back to late 1700's.  New stone building erected in 1942.

  94. Ashford House -- Built on land granted in 1771 to Isaac Porcher.  The oldest section of the house is made of logs, built before 1832 newer part is frame.  Old brick smoke house stands in back yard.  Owned by Ashfords, Boyds, and Sanders.

  95. Old Horeb Presbyterian Church Site -- Location of one of the earliest Fairfield County churches.  Organized in late 1700's.  Merged with Union in 1889.

  96. Site of Mason's Meeting House (Old Bethel Methodist Church) burial ground of the Mason family.

  97. Trapp Home -- Chappell O. Trapp, recipient of the first South Carolina teacher's certificate (issued 1870) resided in this house.

  98. Crooked Run Baptist Church -- organized at Crane Creek, later moved to Cedar Creek, then in 1836 to the Bethel Community to join with group which worshipped in a building built in 1826.  (The building was known as Meeting House in Hendrix Old Field).  Building was remodeled in stone in 1944.

  99. Bethel Methodist Church -- In 1793 the first Methodist group to ever assemble in Fairfield met in Bethesda-Auf-der Morvan (Rev. Nicholas Martin's Meeting House on Crooked Run Creek).  In 1798 they built the county's first Methodist Church on Brown's Bridge Road.  This congregation merged with Horeb Methodists in 1840 to form Bethel.  This is the third sanctuary.

  100. Thomas C. Camak Home -- Home of three distinguished writers -- Thomas Charles Camak (columnist known as "Mossy Dale"), and his two sons -- Marion Boyd Camak (poet and educator) and Dr. David English Camak (novelest and founder of Spartanburg Junior College).  House was built by a Hendrix in 1824.

  101. Brown-Rexrode House -- built ca.1840 by George Brown on property which was granted by the king in 1771 to Samuel Porcher.  House now owned by descendants of George Brown.

  102. Hawthorne-Brown House -- Land Bounty cabin built around 1771 by Adam Hawthorne.  Addition on back was made in 1851 when Furman University was moved and a building was torn down and part of it added to the log house.  Sherman's soldiers started a fire in the middle of the living room in February 1865, but an officer had it extinguished when the Mason's sign of distress was given by Mrs. Elizabeth Hawthorne Wilkes.  The house has been owned by the Robert Brown family since 1877.

  103. Warren Castles House -- Built in 1830 by George Leitner.  Later owned by the Rabbs and Castles families.

  104. Old Furman Building -- From 1837 to 1851 Furman Institute was located here.  This building was the administration building with classrooms and a chapel.  Across the road is the faculty residence hall.  The School of Theology flourished here.  In 1851 the school was moved to Greenville.

  105. Fairfield Baptist Church -- organized by Rev. Jonathan Davis in 1820.  Old church burned in 1865.  Present church erected in 1903.

  106. The Oaks -- Built around 1850.  Home of John Montgomery Lemmon and his descendants.

  107. The Bob Lemmon Place -- probably built by the Owens family, early settlers of the county.  R. Y. Lemmon and his family acquired the place in 1870.  Now owned by the Gordon Quattlebaums.

  108. Kelly Miller School -- named for noted educator, Dr. Kelly Miller, Dean of Howard University, Washington, D. C.

  109. Greenbrier Methodist Church --

  110. William Estes Home -- formerly the Thomas W. Ruff home -- about 100 years old.

  111. Thomas Nightingale's Cowpen. -- located on Little Cedar Creek.   Thomas Nightingale was Fairfield's first citizen, b. 1716 Yorkshire, England, came to Fairfield County in 1740, died Charlestown November 4, 1769 -- "a breeder of race horses, owner and builder of New Market Race Track." (near Charleston).

  112. Site of Broom's Mill -- Was in operation from 1820 until 1898 on Big Cedar Creek.  Old account book of 1829 owned by Mrs. Bessie B. Richardson, descendant of the mill's owner.

  113. Thomas Woodward, the Regulator -- Marker to one of Fairfield's most illustrious citizens who helped to bring law and order to the Up-Country.  Near here was his second home.  His first home was at Muster Field Springs.  The second house was near Anvil Rock.  It survived Cornwallis but was burned by Sherman in 1865.

  114. Anvil Rock -- is on part of a land grant to Thomas Woodward -- now owned by the Buchanan family.  Pedestal rock in formation about 10 feet high, length 12 feet, and 6 feet wide with an oval shaft about 3 feet by 6 feet of medium grained light gray granite.

  115. Tocaland -- Built 1854 by Osmond Woodward for his daughter who married Christopher Gadsden, Jr., of Charleston.  A nursery here furnished tea and shrubbery for Fairfield's homes and gardens.

  116. Hunstanton -- built before 1820.  Owned by Robertsons, Rabbs and now by C. E. Strange family.  Formerly called Sweet Briar, the name was changed to Hunstanton for the Strange family seat in Norfolk, England.

  117. Dr. Daniel Jackson Sanders, first Negro President of Biddle University, Charlotte, N.C. (later John C. Smith University) was born in 1847 near Winnsboro on the plantation of Rev. Thomas Hall.  Term of presidency was from 1891-1907.

  118. Wylie House -- built by John Wylie 1831, and 1832.  Constructed of logs for weight and strength.  Now owned by Wade Wylie, great grandson of the builder.

  119. Clowney Place -- Construction began before the War Between the States, finished after the war.  Built by Thomas Jordan.  Owned by the Clowneys since 1900.

  120. Winnsboro, County Seat -- For details see Historic Winnsboro brochure.

1 - 33 are linked to this page from the east half of the full size map.
33 - 76 + 90 are linked to this page from the west half of the full size map.

Return to Maps on Fairfield County GenWeb Page

Return to Map of East Half of County
See at quarter size
(638 pixels wide)
See at half size
(1,275 pixels wide)
See at full size
(2,550 pixels wide)
See at double size
(5,100 pixels wide)

Return to Map of West Half of County
See at quarter size
(628 pixels wide)
See at half size
(1,255 pixels wide)
See at full size
(2,510 pixels wide)
See at double size
(5,020 pixels wide)

The url of this page is

This page was put on the web 22 April 1999.
This page was Last Updated
Monday, 10-Sep-2018 15:01:44 MDT

This page was put on the web by
James W. Green III.

This is the Bottom of this Web Page (End of File).