CHARLES DIONYSUS McKINLEY
Merchant since 1897
Chas. D. McKinley, formerly of Fayette County moved to
Hamilton County with his parents in 1881, when he was eight years of age
and settled on the Cowhouse.
After attending public school he went to Galveston and
studied pharmacy at the State Medical College. He returned and established
a drug business in Shive in 1897, which he conducted for two years, and
moved to DeLeon and spent one year in the drug business. Then he and his
brother, the late J. D. McKinley went into drug business in Hamilton.
After a year’s time J. D. McKinley sold his interest to C. E. Horton.
Eighteen months later these men formed a drug and hardware partnership
with John Mark Williams and the late J. E. Secrest. They were located in
the stores now occupied by J. W. Williams & Son and Stanley Moore.
After several years this firm was dissolved and the drug business sold to
J. E. Williams
Following this Messrs. McKinley and Horton went into
business with others and formed this Beck, McKinley, Secrest, & Jones
Mercantile Company. A few years later the late J. E. Corrigan bought an
interest in this firm and it was operated under the name of McKinley,
Corrigan Co. After continuing for several years, Chas. McKinley and his
brother, the late T. S. McKinley, bought the entire stock, and the name
was changed to McKinley Bros. T. S. McKinley died in 1926, and Mr.
McKinley and George B. Scott bought the dry goods business and continued
the business under the firm name of McKinley & Scott until 1936, when
it was purchased by C. D. McKinley.
Chas. McKinley married Miss Mollie Harris in 1896. She
was the step-daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ras Ligon of Shive. They have three
children: Allie Scott, Charlie Murphree, and Braxton McKinley.
HAMILTON COUNTY NEWS, Vol. VIII, No. 7
THE CARLTON CITIZEN, Vol. 30, No. 23
Friday, June 24, 1938
W. F. Billingslea, Publisher, Hamilton
See also: CHARLES