CHARLES DIONYSUS McKINLEY
Click picture to see larger view.
Senior member of McKinley & Scott Cash Dry Good
Store is one of Hamiltonís Pioneer Business Men
Mr. Charley D. McKinley of the McKinley & Scott Cash
Dry Goods Store, came from Fayette county to Hamilton in 1881 when he was
eight years old. Mr. McKinley studied pharmacy at the State Medical
school at Galveston and after becoming a registered pharmacist he first
engaged in the drug business at Shive for two years. Then he and his
brother, the late J. D. McKinley, went into the drug business in Hamilton.
After a yearís time Mr. J. D. McKinley sold his interest in the store to
C. E. Horton. This firm was known as McKinley & Horton.. After
eighteen months these men formed a partnership drug and hardware business
with Mr. Jno. Mark Williams and the late J. E. Secrest. They occupied the
building where Mr. Williams is now and the corner building where the
Hamilton Market Place is. After a few years this partnership was dissolved
and the drug business was sold to the late Joe E. Williams.
Mr. McKinley and Mr. Horton then went into business with
the Beck, McKinley, Secrest, & Jones Mercantile Co. After a few years,
the late J. E. Corrigan bought an interest in the firm and the name was
changed to McKinley Corrigan Co. After continuing a number of years Mr.
McKinley and his brother, the late T. S. McKinley, bought the entire stock
and the name was changed to McKinley Bros. Mr. T. S. McKinley died
in 1926 and Mr. McKinley and George B. Scott from Honey Creek bought the
dry goods part of the business and have continued ever since.
The McKinley & Scott Cash Dry Goods business is
operating now on the south side of the square. They believe that a
satisfied customer is the best advertisement. Good quality merchandise at
a fair price is their rout to success.
The Hamilton County News, Vol. IV, Number
Historical and Trading Expansion Issue
W. F. Billingslea, Editor-Publisher
Subscription Price ONE YEAR ..$1.00
June 29, 1934
See Also: CHARLES DIONYSUS