Historical Collections of Ohio pgs 863-866
Historical Collections of Ohio: Pages 863-866
| Hamilton County OhioHistorical Collections of Ohio index page |

~ pg. 863 ~


AVONDALE is on the hills, three miles north of Fountain Square, and was in-corporated as a municipality in 1854.  It is one of the most important and beautiful of the suburbs; practically is but a continuation of the city.  It adjoins the city north of WALNUT HILLS, while the latter, formerly a village with a slight population, is now a part of the city, with about 40,000 inhabitants.

The Hills come up close to the Ohio valley in places quite abrupt and about 400 feet above it.  In calm summer nights, standing on the hill verge, the voices of the people below, on the narrow marge between the foot of the hill and river, often rise to the hearing.  The views up the river are here very grand, and from its most elevated points one can see highlands south in Kentucky, twenty-five miles away, and alike far north in Ohio.

The long-noted Lane Seminary is on Walnut Hills, with some line new build-ings, with their backs turned to the old, which yet stand humbly behind them.  Walnut Hills, for grandeur of scenery, united with beauty of its homes, with lawns and gardens more or less in undulating dimpling spots, has scarcely an equal within our knowledge.  It has such a surprising variety of domestic architecture, palatial and especially cottage odd and ornate, apparently the creations of architects on a strife to outdo each other in novel blending  of materials, in contrast of colors, in proportions, pinnacles and points, that one might define it as a locality where domestic architecture was out on a frolic.  From these inhabitants daily rapidly go whisking down in cable and electric cars to their business in the basin below, to provide the means to continue to dwell in their beautiful homes above.  One of these lines—a horse-car line it is—goes through Eden Park to the spot,


Mount Adams, where, forty years ago, astronomer MITCHEL had his observatory,
and looked through his big telescope at Jupiter and his family of moons.  Then the car, with its occupants, horses, and all go down the inclined plane in about one minute, when horses drawn the car from the platform, and pursue their journey into the house-lined streets.

MOUNT AUBURN, also now a part of the city lies west of Walnut Hills, being separated from the last by the valley of Deer creek.  It also abounds in elegant residences.

CLIFTON lies west of Avondale and north of Burnet Woods Park, and was in-corporated as a town in 1849.  It derives its name from the Clifton Farm, comprises about 1,200 acres, is beautifully diversified with hill and dale, and has about 1,200 inhabitants.  In its precincts it, has neither shop, factory, saloon nor division fences.  It has seventeen miles of avenues, lined with fine shade trees, of which thousands have been planted; also some magnificent residences.  The town hall contains the school-room, and its main hall is elegantly frescoed.  The ladies of the Sacred Heart have also a school for girls, with spacious and beautiful grounds.

PRICE HILL is west of the city plain, some 400 feet above it, and is in the city limits.  It is reached by an inclined plane and the Warsaw Pike.  It commands extensive views of river, city and country, and has elegant residences, con-vents and colleges.

CUMMINSVILLE, a part of Cincinnati by annexation, is five miles north of the business centre of the city.  The place was named after David CUMMINS, owner of a tannery, whose extensive property and that of another family named HUTCHINSON, comprised nearly the entire site of the present town.  The early settlement was known as LUDLOW STATION, established, in 1790 by Israel LUDLOW, Daniel BATES, Thomas GOUDY (said to have been the first Cincinnati lawyer), John N. CUMMINS, Uriah HARDESTY and others.  This station is noted as being the place where Gen. ST. CLAIR organized his army in 1791.  It was deserted and reoccupied by turns until peace was established with the Indians in 1795.  Newspaper: Transcript, Independent, A. E.WEATHERBY, editor.  Churches: 1 Protestant, Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist Episcopal, 1 Christian, 2 Catholic, and 1 Colored Methodist Episcopal.

HARRISON, on the Indiana State line, is twenty-five miles northwest of Cincin-nati, on the C. I., St. L. & C. R. L.  Newspaper: News, Independent, Walter HARTPENCE, editor and proprietor.  Churches: 1 Christian, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1 German Lutheran, 1 Catholic, and 1 German Protestant.  Industries: Furniture factories, 2 distilleries, 3 flouring mills, etc.  Banks: Citizens’ (Frank BOWLES, cashier; J. A. GRAFT, James A. GRAFT, cashier.  Population in 1880 1,850.  School census in 1886, 588.  R. Maxwell BOGGS, superintendent.

This village is noted as the point where John MORGAN on his raid entered Ohio.  It was a thorough surprise.  About one o’clock, in the afternoon of July 13, 1863, the advance of the command was seen streaming down the hill, on the west side of the valley, and the alarm was at once given.  Citizens hurried to secrete valuables and run off horses; but in a very few minutes the enemy were swarming all over the town.  The raiders generally behaved well; no woman nor other person was harmed, and no house robbed.  They entered the stores, and in the aggregate a large amount of goods was taken.  They were eccentrics in their robbing.  A druggist was despoiled of nothing but his soap and perfumery.  They stayed a few hours, carried off some horses, and that night, going east, were abreast of Cincinnati, and the next day out of the county, after a tremendous midsummer march of thirty hours.

MT. WASHINGTON is five miles east of Cincinnati, on the C.G. & P. R. R. Newspaper: Cincinnati Public School Journal, Educational.  Churches 1  Methodist Episcopal, 1 Methodist Protestant and 1 Baptist.  Industries: Colter Pack-


ing Co., fruit canning, 100 employees.  Population in 1880, 393.  School census in 1886, 160.  Dr. D. G. DRAKE, superintendent.

LOCKLAND is twelve miles north of Cincinnati, on the C. C. C. & I. and C. H. & D. R.R. and on the Miami and Erie Canal.  It has four churches and, in 1880, 1,884 inhabitants.  Water-power is supplied to the establishments here by four locks in the canal, which have unitedly forty-eight feet fall and give name to the place.

Industries and Employees,—The Stearns & Foster Co., cotton batting, etc., 98 hands ; The Lockland Lumber Co., builders’ wood-work, etc., 85; The FRIEND & FOX Paper Co., 75; George H. FRIEND Paper Co. 25; J. H. TANGEMAN, paper-making, 15; The HOLDEMAN Paper Co., 34, The HOLDEMAN Paper Co., 30; The George FOX  Starch Co. starch, 107.—State Report 1888

READING lies just east of Lockland and had, in 1880, a population of 2,680.  DIEHL’S long-noted fireworks are here manufactured; 60 hands are employed.  WYOMING lies west of Lockland, on the other side of the C. H. & D. R. R.; it had, in 1880, 840 inhabitants

MADISONVILLE is seven and a half miles from Cincinnati, on the C. W. & B. R. R., has churches, Baptist, Methodist, Christian, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Episcopal and Catholic.  Population in 1880, 1,247.  NORWOOD lies on the same railroad, six miles from Cincinnati, and has about 800 inhabitants.

CARTHAGE is on the C. H. & D. and C. C. C. & I.  R. R. and Miami Canal, ten miles from Cincinnati.  It has four churches, the County Infirmary and Longview Insane Asylum.  Population is 1880, 1,007.  The ERKENBECKER Starch Factory is here, which employs 120 hands; the clothing-making industry is also carried on here.  HARTWELL lies a little northeast of Carthage, on the opposite side of Mill creek, and on the C. H. & D. and Short Line Railroads.  Population in 1880, 892.  ELMWOOD adjoins Carthage on the south.

While others of these treesy-named villages, as Maplewood and Woodlawn, are not afar; also Park Place and Arlington.  The there is Addyston, which, increasing the number to be mentioned, has a suggestion in its name of the arithmetical.  Outside of the city limits on the line of Mill creek, which is threaded by the C. H. and Bee Line Railroads for sixteen miles north, there are nineteen flourishing towns, many of them running into each other.

ST. BERNARD is an extensive suburb, just south of the Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad, seven miles north of the city, and is largely inhabited by Germans, who have here the St. Clement’s Catholic church.  Population in 1880, 1,073.  BOND HILL is near it, on the line of the M. & C. R. R.

GLENDALE is on the C. H. & D. Railroad, fifteen miles north of Cincinnati, and is one of the most beautiful of the suburban villages.  The Glendale Female College is located here.  It has three parks, and a pretty lake of four acres from natural springs.  It was laid out in 1852 for suburban homes by wealthy Cincinnatians, and has been noted as the residence of some eminent characters, as Stanley MATTHEWS, Robert CLARK, R. M. SHOEMAKER, Crafts J. WRIGHT, etc.; also for the literary tastes of its population, which has been noted for its quality rather than its numbers.  Population in 1880, 1,403.

COLLEGE HILL, is about eight miles from the city and is reached by a narrow gauge railway.  It is especially noted as the seat of Farmer’s College and of Female College.  Two miles north of it is Mount Pleasant, post-office name Mount Healthy, which many years ago was noted for holding conventions of the Anti-Slavery or Liberty Party.

IVORYDALE lies seven miles north of Cincinnati, on the C. H. & D., C. w. & B. and C. C. C. & I Railroads.  Here Proctor & Gamble have about 500 employees in the manufacture of their famed “ivory soap,” who labor on the cooperative plan, sharing profits with the owners.  The Emery Lard and Candle Manufacturing Company is also here, post-office Ludlow Grove.

The following are the names of villages and localities in the country, with there


populations in 1880: Home City, 422, Riverside, 1,268 (now in the Cincinnati limits, post-office Sedamsvlle), where in 1887, the Cincinnati Cooperage Company employed 565 hands; Westwood, 852; Cleves, 836; North Bend, 412; Linwood, 723, and Springdale, 284.

In the northwester corner of the county is the village of Whitewater, where since 1834, there has been a small settlement of Shakers.  The grave of Adam POE, the renowned Indian fighter, who had the noted fight with Big Foot, is in the Shaker burying-ground.

Census of 1890 of Villages

Madison, 2,242; Norwood, 1,390; Oakley, 1,266; Pleasant Ridge, 1,027; Home City, 797; Riverside part of, 1,171; Delhi, 531; Harrison, part of in Ohio, 1.090; Avondale, 4,473; Bond Hill, 1,000; Cartage, 2,059; Clifton, 1,575; College Hill, 1,346; Elmwood, 1,980; Saint Bernard, 2,158; West Norwood, 612; Linwood, 1,276; Glendale, 1,444; Hartwell, 1,507; Lockland, 2,474; Wyoming, 1,454; Mount Healthy, 1,295; Hazelwood, 502; Montgomery, 797; Reading, 3,103; Sharon, 730, Camp Dennison 584.

Back to:
| Hamilton County OH Main PageHistorical Collections of Ohio index page |

©2003 by Tina Hursh & Linda Boorom