High Street, Raglan Village, ca 1914
Raglan Village
Monmouthshire, Wales, UK

/ RHAGLAN (Gwe) Raghelan (1254). Meaning: probably from WELSH rhag 'fore' and glan 'bank', hence 'rampart'.

Raglan Village (1254) exists in the shadow of Raglan Castle. The link between the Castle and Village was broken after the castle was destroyed in 1646. Subsequently, the Duke of Beaufort, owner of the ruins of Raglan Castle and the lands surrounding Raglan continued to be an important influence in Village life until 1920 when his lands were sold. During the Napoleonic Wars, travelers began to take an interest in the beauty of Wales and were drawn to Raglan Castle. Today the Village has a lively and friendly reputation with three Church's, three pubs, two butchers, a primary school and health centre along with other assorted shops.... and, of course, the Castle

Established in 1955, the Raglan and Local District History Group entertains and informs local villagers of the history around us. The aim of the society is: To encourage the study of local history in the area and further research into the subject

for information about Raglan Local History Group - please go to http://www.raglan-history.org.uk/