Wisconsin Scandinavian Obituaries Sh-Sj

Wisconsin Scandinavian
Obituaries Sh-Sj

Norway Flag     Denmark Flag     Sweden Flag

Shanke (Schanke) Christopher
Shanke (Schanke) Christopher Mrs.
Shay Annetta Arneson Mrs.
Shelley Jess
Shelley John O.
Shelly Charles O.
Sime Bertha Mrs.
Sime Erik
Sime John
Simenson John
Simenson Oliver
Simonson Carrie Mrs.
Simonson Helena Mrs.
Simonson Lars
Simonson Lars Mrs.
Simonson Mathea Urlien
Simonson Nicolai
Simonson Ole Mrs.
Simonson Peder
Sinrud L.P.
Sinrud L.P. Mrs.
Sjuggerud M.N.
Sjuggerud Oline Mrs.

"Funeral services for Mrs. Carrie Simonson, 83, who died Monday afternoon, July 10, 1944, at the home of her son Oscar in South Beaver Creek, were held Thursday at the home and at the Ettrick Lutheran church. The Rev. K.M. Urberg officiated and burial was in the Amoth cemetery in Stensven Coulee.
Mrs. Simonson was born in Valdar, Norway, in October, 1860, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nels Stromstad. She came with her parents to America at the age of 13, the family settling in Hardies Creek. She was a member of Ettrick Lutheran church. Sixty years ago she was married to Sedolph Simonson and the couple engaged in farming in the South Beaver Creek valley, Her husband died in 1919 and two sisters and four brothers also preceded her in death.
Survivors are three daughters: Mrs. Alfred Onsrud, Ettrick; Mrs. Martin Sather, North Beaver Creek and Mrs. Selmer Severson, South Beaver Creek; four sons, Dr. Neal Simons, Whitehall, Oscar and Edward Simonson of South Beaver Creek and Albert Simonson of Austin, Minn., 15 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren." THE BLAIR PRESS - July 20, 1944

Christopher Schanke passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Herbert Duxbury Saturday, February 7th, 1914, and the funeral services were held yesterday at the U.L. church with interment in the local cemetery, the Rev. SS. Urberg officiating. Christopher Schanke was born in Trondjem, Norway, September 15, 1837 and came to this county in the 1884. For some years he had been in poor heath, and with the exception of a few months has always made his home with his daughter. Six weeks prior to death, his affliction became more intense and he suffered great pain until the angel bid him enter “Where not a darkening shadow hides the presence of his God from His eyes.” He leaves to mourn his demise an aged wife and one daughter, Mrs. Herbert Duxubury. THE BLAIR PRESS - FERUARY 12, 1914

Mrs. Christopher Schanke, whose maiden name was Anna Olson, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Herbert Duxubry, Friday, March 28, 1919. She had made her home with Mr. and Mrs. Duxbury since the death of her husband in 1913 and had been in good health until just recently. She was born May 20, 1834 in Trondjem, Norway and was married in 1863. She came to this county in 1884. She was a good Christian woman and her loss will be keenly felt by all. She leaves one daughter, Mrs. Herbert Duxubury, and thirteen grandchildren. The funeral was held Wednesday, April 2, from the U.N Lutheran church, Rev. Boe officiating THE BLAIR PRESS - APRIL 3, 1919

Mrs. Gilbert Shay passed away at her home in French Creek Saturday, May 4, 1929, following an illness of several months from cancer of the stomach. Everything possible that could be done was done to relieve her of her suffering and to prolong her life. She leaves her husband and an eight-year-old son, besides two brothers and five sisters to mourn her loss. The deceased was born in Faaberg, Norway, April 1, 1879. When 11 years of age, she came to America in company with her parents. They settled in Hardies Creek and she grew to womanhood in that section. She was united in marriage to Gilbert O. Shay, June 30, 1920. Funeral services were held Tuesday and interment was made in the French Creek cemetery lot. Reprinted from the Ettrick Advance. THE BLAIR PRESS - MAY 23, 1929

Bertha Hallanger was born October 14, 1862 in Ulvik, Hardanger, Norway. She emigrated with her parents to America in 1866. They made their home in Beaver Creek. She was confirmed by Rev. B. Hovde July 20, 1879. She was united in marriage to Erik Sime November 18, 1886. To this union were born three children, Mrs. Tena Wick, St. Paul; Edwin died in 1923 and Helen died in 1918. They were engaged in farming 34 years. In 1920 they moved to Ettrick where Mr. Sime passed away May 2, 1928. The last year, Mrs. Sime made her home with her daughter in St. Paul. Stricken with illness four months ago, she passed away at the Anker Hospital, March 3, 1932. Funeral services were held at the Beaver Creek church Monday, March 7, conducted by Rev. Sweger. Pallbearers at the funeral were Ed Quammen, L.K. Underheim, S.S. Knutson, Henry Legreid, John and Charlie Hallinger. Beside the floral tributes there was a memory wreath in the form of a gift to the Lyngblomsten Home for the Aged in St. Paul. Beside her daughter, she leaves to mourn the loss of a dear mother and sister, a brother Martin of Cornel, Wisconsin, a sister, Mrs Shoblom, Philipsburg, Montana. A brother Knute died January 12, 1924. There are seven grandchildren. THE BLAIR PRESS - MARCH 10, 1932

John O. Shelley, 85, died from a heart attack at 9:30 p.m. Saturday (June 19, 1965) as he was getting ready to retire for the night. He was born in December 19, 1879 in Solar, Norway. He came to America when he was 12. His father preceded his wife and six children to America by three years. He was confirmed by the Rev. Ole Waldeland in Zion Lutheran church. He was married to Emma Thompson of the Blair area November 18, 1909 and they farmed in the Blair area until moving to the city. They celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary in 1959. Survivors are his wife; four brothers, Charley, Blair; Otto, Stillwater; Albert, Princeton, Minnesota; and Helmer, Minneapolis and four sisters, Mrs. Olaf (Borghid) Ericksmoen, Blair; Mrs. Carl (Carrie) Hanson, Beloit; Mrs. Mens (Edna) Berg, Cannon Falls, Minnesota; and Mrs. Alice Fredricks, Los Angeles, California. One brother has died. Funeral services were held Wednesday at 3 p.m. at Zion Lutheran church, the Rev. L. H. Jacobson officiating. Burial was in the church cemetery. Pallbearers were eight nephews, Basil and Orrin Shelley, Oscar Hanson, Milton and Ernest Ericksmoen, Arlie Berg, Basil Arneson and Lloyd Nehring. Mrs. Francis Herreid was soloist. THE BLAIR PRESS - JUNE 24, 1965

Erik Sime was born on the farm Rote Dyrnedalen Voss, Norway on October 10, 1858. His parents were Knute and Anna Sime. He emigrated to America with them in 1880, and they made their home in Irvine Coulee. He was united in marriage to Brita Hallanger, November 18, 1886, at Whitehall. The children of this union are both dead; Edward died in 1923 and Inger Helen died in 1918 A foster daughter, Mrs. Iver Vick, lives in St. Paul. Mr. and Mrs. Sime resided on a farm in Beaver Creek until 1921, when they moved to Ettrick. Besides farming Mr. Sime was a stone mason. After coming to Ettrick he was janitor of the public schools until ill health compelled him to quit. He suffered with heart trouble about a year and a half and died May 2, 1928. Funeral services were held from the house at 1 p.m. and from the Beaver Creek church, of which he was a member, at 2 p.m. Friday, May 4th, Rev. Sweger officiating. THE BLAIR PRESS - MAY 10, 1928

Charles O. Shelley, 97, of Blair passed away Saturday, June 15, 1979. He had been a resident of Grand View Home, Blair. Shelley was born June 8, 1882 in Solar, Norway, and emigrated to the United States in 1900. He farmed in the Blair area until his retirement. He married Julia Paulson on March 6, 1916 and she preceded him in death in 1963. Shelley was a member of the Blair Masonic Lodge 323. Survivors are two sons, Orrin and Basil of Blair; two brothers, Otto, of Stillwater, Minnesota; and Helmer of Minneapolis, Minnesota; two sisters, Mrs. Edna Berg of Wanamingo, Minnesota; and Mrs. Alice Fredericks of Los Angeles, California. He was preceded in death by two sisters and three brothers. Funeral services were held on Tuesday, June 19, 1979, 1:30 p.m. in the Zion Lutheran Church at Blair. Revs. Erling Carlson and Arvid Myhrwold officiated. Burial was in the church cemetery. Jack Funeral Home of Blair was in charge of the arrangements. THE BLAIR PRESS - JUNE 21, 1979

Lars Simonson of Pigeon, who fell from a load of hay and was killed on the 24th of June 1911, was born in Vaug, Hedemarken, Norway, February 13, 1837, where he grew to manhood, and in 1862 was married to Juliana Jenson. In 1884 he immigrated to this country with his family settling in the town of Pigeon, where he resided up to the time of his death. Deceased leaves two daughters, Mrs. Peter Peterson of Clifton, Texas and Mrs, Oluf Snuggerud of Holmen, Wisconsin; and four sons, Elias of Pigeon, Simon of Hale, Lewis of Minneapolis and George of Whitehall. He has also a brother, Peder, of Pigeon and three sisters and a brother residing in Norway. Rev. Orke officiated the funeral and the remains were interred in the United Lutheran cemetery at Pigeon Falls besides those of his wife, who died four years ago. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - JULY 16, 1911

John Sime, an early settler of the Town of Lincoln, was born in Hardanger, Norway, March 13, 1861, and died at Milwaukee March 26, 1931, at 1:15 a.m. at the age of 70 years and 13 days. Mr. Sime emigrated to America at an early age and 35 years ago was married to Miss Clara Nelson. They settled in Gill Coulee in the Town of Lincoln, where they operated a farm for a period of 21 years. They then purchased a small tract of land at the head of Irvin Coulee and lived on that place for ten years. Four years ago, their two children, Clarence and Myrtle, having married and moved to Milwaukee, Mr. and Mrs. Sime sold their holding near Whitehall and moved to that city to be near their children. There they lived happily until his death separated them. Survivors are his wife, two children, Clarence, who is married, and daughter, Mrs. Clyde Webber and her husband. There are also two grandchildren, Janice and Luverne, and a brother, Iver, of Minneapolis, besides other relatives and friends in and around Whitehall. Funeral services were held at Whitehall Saturday from the Rhode undertaking parlors and Our Saviours Lutheran church, the body having been shipped here from Milwaukee. Rev NC.A. Gaarness delivered the funeral sermon. Burial was made in the Old Whitehall cemetery. Pallbearers were Ed Everson, Peter Roskos, Theodore Nelson, Ben Pahnke, Julius Larson and August Ringstad, all old neighbors and friends of the deceased. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - APRIL 2, 1931

Mrs. Lars Simenson died of old age at her home in Pigeon May 22, 1907, aged 71 years, 7 months and 23 days. Deceased was born in Loten, Norway, September 29, 1835, and with her husband and children emigrated to this country in 1884. Her husband bought a farm in the Town of Pigeon on which she resided up to the time of her death. Those to mourn her death are a husband and six children as follows: Mrs. P. Pederson of Meridian, Texas; Elias of Pigeon; Simen and Grorge of Whitehall; Lewis of Minneapolis and Mrs. O. Snugerud of Holmen. The funeral services were held Saturday, the 25th inst., Rev. Orke of Pigeon Falls conducting the services, and interment took place in the Pigeon Falls cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - MAY 30, 1907

Funeral services were Jess Shelley were held in the Lakeview Lutheran church Thursday afternoon, the 10th of October. Rev. Borevik officiated at the services. Burial was made in the Egeland Union cemetery. Mr. Shelley had been in ill health for some time and passed away in a Devils Lake hospital on Tuesday morning, October 8, 1935. He had been suffering from complications due to a weak heart. Jess Shelley was born in Norway January 2, 1890. He came to America at the age of two, living at Blair, Wisconsin and was confirmed by the Rev. Ole Gulbrandson at the Lutheran church. In 1916 he came to Egeland, North Dakota and commenced farming. During the World War he served his country as a soldier. On October 5, 1919 he was united in marriage to Della Diers. To this union have come four children. Those who mourn the departure of Mr. Shelley are his wife and four children, Wallace, Milton, Clarence and Muriel; his mother Mrs. Knut Narveson of Minneapolis; five brothers and four sisters, Mrs. Carl Hanson of Chippewa Falls; John Shelley, Charley Shelley and Mrs. Olaf Ericksmoen, all of Blair; Helmer Shelly and Mrs. Olav Winther of Minneapolis; Albert Shelley of Princeton, Minnesota; Mrs. Mens Berg of Dennison, Minnesota and Otto Shelley of Stillwater, Minnesota. Mr. Shelley was buried with military honors with the Cando Post of the American Legion conducting their services at the cemetery. Reprinted from the Egeland, North Dakota News. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 31, 1935

Oliver Simenson, 53, born in Faaberg, Gudbrandsdalen, Norway, November 13, 1886, died at the Community Hospital inWhitehall of cancer, Friday, August 9, at 2 p.m. after a brief illness. Funeral services were held Monday at the Simenson home in Blair and at the Zion Lutheran church, the Rev. T.E. Sweger officiating, assisted by the Rev. K.M. Urberg. Mrs. A.J. Sather sang “My Faith Looks Up to Thee” and “Jeg ved mig en Sovn” at the last rites. Pallbearers were Anton Mikelhun, John Breakey, Lyle Duxbury, Ed Mikkelson, Louis Nelson and William Severson. Mr. Simenson was the son of John and Gelena Simenson. The family came to America in 1892 with North Dakota as their destination. Ten miles from Wimbledon, Oliver’s father had homesteaded land. Although their arrival was in the month of May, a aging blizzard greeted them and through this tempest of snow, they had to drive several miles, a grim foretaste of what their adopted state had in store for them. Oliver was confirmed in the Mable Lutheran church by the Rev. P.A. Thoreson, the pioneer pastor of Griggs County. The same pastor officiated at his marriage to Anna Severson of Blair on June 25, 1920, at his parental home. For two years following his marriage Mr. Simenson managed his father’s farm. Then he rented land west of Hannaford, North Dakota, where he stayed until moving his family to Blair on October 1, 1935. He was a graduate of a steam engineering course at the North Dakota Agricultural College at Fargo, and he served as steam engineer during the long threshing seasons of the western state. At Blair he was employed at his profession by the Webster Tie and Saw Mill. Surviving the deceased are his wife and two children, James of Black River Falls, and Vera at home. A daughter, Clarice, died in North Dakota in 1931 at the age of seven years. His father died at his home in Blair on November 26, 1937, his mother in North Dakota in 1926. Two brothers survive, Sam of Wimbledon, North Dakota, and Maurice of Bainville, Montana. A brother, Ole, is deceased. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUGUST 15, 1940

In Faaberg. Gulbrandalen, Norway, John Simenson was born December 18, 1853. He was baptized in the parish church and there too his marriage to Gelene Urlien took place in 1874. He emigrated to America with his family in 1892 and came directly to Griggs County, North Dakota where his parents and two brothers and two sisters had already preceded him. He filed on a homestead there and endured the hardships of pioneer life. He helped organize the Mabel congregation and erect the church building. He took prominent part in the church activities and served as the first cantor of the congregation. He retired from active farm work in 1920 and made his home with his son, Oliver, until 1933. The past four years he lived with his son, Sam, until this fall when he came to Blair, Wisconsin. He was taken ill on the train and was confined to his bed from the 16th of September until his death, Friday, November 26, 1937. His wife died November 22, 1926. A son, Ole, also preceded him in death. The following children survive: Sam, Wimbleton, North Dakota; Maurice, Bainville, Montana; and Oliver, Blair. His brother Engebret died in 1921 and his sister, Mrs. Martha Wilson in 1923. A sister and brother, Karen and Otto, of Cortenay, North Dakota survive. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. T.E. Sweger assisted by Rev. K.M. Urberg Wednesday afternoon, November 30th at 1:00 at the Oliver Simenson home and the body was then taken to North Dakota to be laid beside his wife. The pallbearers were Julius Olson, Bennie Nelson, Theodore Peterson, Selmer Severson, Ole Urlien and Anton Mikklethun. THE BLAIR PRESS - DECEMBER 2, 1937

The subject of this notice, M.N. Sjuggerud was born at Nes, Hedmarken, Norway, May 15, 1844. He emigrated to this county in 1866, settling in Clayton County, Iowa, where he found employment on a farm. From Iowa he moved to Holmen, LaCrosse County, where he rented a farm for a few years, then came to the Town of Pigeon in 1875. He purchased a farm in that Town and was regarded as one of its leading, upright and respected citizens. He had held the office of assessor and treasurer of his town and at the time of his death was treasurer of the Pigeon Mutual Fire Insurance Company, which office he had held for several consecutive years. His death occurred on June 10th, as a result of a kick by a horse. Mr. Sjuggerud leaves to mourn his untimely death beside a wife, the following children: Edd of Holmen, Mrs. A.M. Hallingstad of Pigeon, Mrs. George Larson of Whitehall, Nels of Whitedeer, South Dakota and Carl of Pigeon. He also leaves a brother, ? Nelson of San Francisco, California and a sister, Mrs. John Tharaldson of Pigeon. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - JUNE 25, 1914

Nicolai Simonson, who died November 30, 1928, was born at Lorten, Norway, October 12, 1868. He was baptized by the Rev. Vinsness. When a baby of two years, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Peder Simonson moved to America. They first settled at LaCrosse. They later moved to Onalaska where they resided four years. In 1874 Mr. Simonson moved his family to Trempealeau county. He bought 160 acres of land in Fitch coulee, where they resided until 1892. The farm is now owned by L. Weverstad. Mr. Simonson then bought the farm now owned by B.B. Olson on No. 53, three miles east of Whitehall. This was the family home until the children were reared and Mr. and Mrs. Simonson reached an age where they were no longer able to continue farm labors. When a young boy, Nick was confirmed by Rev. Christophersen and followed the Lutheran faith throughout his life. When four years old he broke one of his legs. A few years later it was necessary for him to submit to an operation which made him a cripple for life. For seven years, he was forced to use crutches. In 1910, he was further incapacitated when he broke his other leg while operating a grubbing machine. Since 1910 he made his home with his brother, Peter Simonson and family. He never married. His death followed a short illness. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Orke at Pigeon Falls Tuesday, December 4. He is survived by his brother, Peter, and five sisters: Mrs. G. Philipson, Mrs. L. Fredrickson, Mrs. G. M. Steig, Mrs. L. Schansberg, and Mrs. H.E Hanson. All were present at the funeral with the exception of Mrs. Steig. His parents and one sister, Pauline preceded him in death. Although handicapped by physical disablity, he was a man of ambition and took his place in the world of industry. He was regarded as an honest, upright citizen. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - DECEMBER 13, 1928

Oline Mathisdatter was born in Biri, Norway January 10,1848, and came to America when a young girl. On February 26, 1880, she was married to Mathias N. Sjuggerud, then a widower, and moved to Sjuggerud coulee. To this union were born five children: Martin, who died in infancy; Mrs. George Larson, Whitehall; Nils M. Sjuggerud, Whitehall; Carl M., Blair and Adolph, who died in 1907. Also two step-children, Ed of Holmen and Mrs. A. M. Hallingstad of Whitehall, and one brother, John M. Sagen of Pigeon. Her husband, who preceded her in death, passed away June 10, 1914. She passed away Saturday, June 20, at the home of her son, Carl, near Blair. Funeral services were held at the home and at the Lutheran church at Pigeon Falls Tuesday, June 23, Rev. Christophersen, Rev. Urberg and Rev. Johan Olson of Galveston, Texas, who formerly made his home with her, delivered funeral sermons. The pallbearers were Nels Windjue, Ole Hallingstad, E.P. Anaas, E.O. Evenson, Ole Roseth and Charles Borreson, who laid the remains at rest in the family plot at Pigeon Falls beside her husband and two children. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JUNE 25, 1925

The funeral services of Mrs. Ole Simonson were held last Wednesday, October 4th from the home of her son, John, and later from the Trempealeau Valley church, Rev. Fosso officiating. Interment was at the Hjerleid cemetery. Mrs. Ole Simonson, whose maiden name was Anna Simonson was born in Gudbrandsdalen, Norway June 28, 1841 and at the time of her death, October 1, 1922, had passed the ripe old age of four score years. She came to this country in June 1871 and settled in Black River Falls. In 1872 she was united in marriage to Ole Simonson, who preceded her in death. In 1876 they moved to the Town of Springfield where they made their home continually. Their son, John, acquired possession of the old homestead and since the death of her husband, she has made her home with her son, with the exception of one winter which she spent at the home of her daughter in Chicago. Six children were born to them, four of whom are living. The surviving children are: Simon, Anton and John Simonson who all reside south of Taylor, and Mrs. H.H. Graff of Chicago and A.M. Tufthagen of Lacota, North Dakota. Deceased is survived by 11 grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. Bertha Kvistad. Mrs. Simons in spite of her advanced age has been in good health up until about four weeks previous to her death. Thus another one of our early pioneers who wrought such wonders in this wilderness has been summoned into her celestial home. Reprinted from the Taylor Herald - THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 19, 1922

Both the young and the old paid their last respects to L.P. Sinrud, 91, Town of Pigeon resident for nearly 80 years who passed away at the Whitehall Community Hospital at 3 a.m. Saturday, November 10, and for whom funeral services were held last week Wednesday afternoon. The rites were held at the Sinrud home in Pigeon Falls and at the United Lutheran church there, the Rev. C.K. Malmin officiating, with burial in the church cemetery. Known and loved by not only the older generation, his friends of long standing, but by the younger generation as well, this was attested to by the large number present at the services and also by the $131.50 given in memorials, most of it to the church building fund, and the flowers, two sprays of which came from a group of young people in Pigeon Falls. This was a tribute unusual, for as we grow older we tend to cling more closely to our old time friends and ways, but Mr. Sinrud had the faculty of appealing to youth, too, so that they learned to love him as a dear friend. As he had been a deacon in the church for many years and honorary deacon after his health failed, the present deacons served as honorary pallbearers. They were Albert Fremstad, John F Johnson and Afred Vosseteig. The pallbearers who carried him to his last resting place were three neighbors from Pigeon Falls, Peter Burt, Wilhelm Ringlien and Alfred Nelson, and three old neighbors from Tuff Coulee, where he resided for many years, Thomas Stalheim, Melvin Ackley and Joseph Staff. The flowers were carried by Mmes. Wilhelm Ringlien and Otis Burt. At the church services Mrs. E.A. Sletteland sang “The Twenty-Third Psalm” and Rev Malmin sang “Den Store Hvide Flok.” The pastor gave a short sermon in Norwegian as well as one in English. Mr. Sinrud was born December 24, 1853 in Biri, Norway, the son of Peder and Perneille Pederson. When he was 12 years old, he came to America with his parents, two sisters and a brother. The family stayed a short time in Coon Valley, Vernon County, and then came to the Town of Pigeon, homesteading land in Tuff Coulee. As a young man Mr. Sinrud attended night school in Pigeon to learn the English language. On May 12, 1876, he married Mary Olson of York and they settled on the home farm, where they resided until 1911, when they retired and moved into the village of Pigeon Falls. Fourteen children were born to this couple, five of them dying within eight days back in 1888 in a diphtheria epidemic. Two others died as children and three passed away as adults, Willie of Pigeon in 1920, Mrs. Morris Dahl of Whitehall in 1925, and Pearl at Phoenix, Arizona in 1937. Mrs. Sinrud passed away in August 1921 and two sisters preceded him in death, Mrs. A.D Hanson and Mrs. O.H. Paulsrud. The surviving children are Oscar Sirud, Portland, Oregon; Mrs. Hudah Hitzelberger, Racine; Mrs. Alice Hanson, Dearborn, Michigan, and Miss Mabel Sinrud, a registered nurse who has been caring for her father during his declining years. He also leaves seven grandsons, seven granddaughters, three great-grandchildren, and a brother, Anton Sinrud of Ashland. Another brother may still be residing in Norway. Mr. Sinrud who suffered a stroke of paralysis over two years ago and last April fell and broke his hip, after which he was confined to the hospital here, served as a school board member in his home community during his younger years and also on the town board. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - NOVEMBER 22, 1945

Mrs. L.P. Sinrud, nee Marie Olson, was born in Holland, Norway, September 25, 1857. Her parents were Ole and Anne Halvorson. On the 12th of May 1877, she was married to L.P. Sinrud of Pigeon Falls. Their family became a typical pioneer family with fourteen children. Of those as many as five died within the space of one week in a diphtheria epidemic in 1888. Only the baby, a little son Willie, remained to them. Mrs. Sinrud, never possessing a robust health, was able with strength of will and and indomitable courage, to bear up under the many arduous tasks and duties incident to bringing up so many children. Mr. and Mrs. Sinrud sold their farm some years ago and retired from farming, living in Pigeon Falls. The last 23 years her health failed measurably, and especially these last few months, it was evident to all that she would not live very long. Conscious almost to her last breath, she died peacefully at her home Thursday, August 10. The funeral, with a great number of people attending, was held, Monday, August 15. Rev. A. J. Oerke officiated. The following of her family remain to mourn the loss of a good and faithful wife and other: Her husband, L.P.Sinrud; six children - Oscar, Mrs. Hitzelberger, Mrs. H. B. Hanson, Mrs. M. Dahl, Mable Sinrud and Pearl Sinrud. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - BANNER - AUGUST 25, 1921

The history of this mans life may be summarized as follows: Born in Loten, Hedmarken, Norway, October 8, 1839. His parents were Simon and Anna Maria Lindsveen. Christened and confirmed by Dean Vingnes in Vang’s ancient church. Married to Helene Wiverstad January 9, 1871. Moved to the Town of Pigeon, this county, and settled in Fitch Coulee in 1874. Was the father of eight children, all of whom survive him, except one daughter, Pauline, who died from diphtheria August 8, 1881. His wife died November 25, 1919. Died at the home of his son, Peter, near Coral City, March 11, 1927. His funeral was held in the lower church at Pigeon Falls March 14. Buried in the church cemetery by the side of his wife. His surviving children are: Mrs. Gust Phillipson, Mrs. Fred Fredrickson, Mrs. G.M. Steig, Mrs. Lewis Schansberg, Mrs. Henry Hanson, Nicolai and Peter Simonson. He is also survived by forty grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren and one sister, Agnette, who lives in Norway. I might stop at this point and a busy generation would perhaps compliment me on my good sense in being brief. But my many contacts with the deceased for more than forty years have left impressions on my mind and heart that will not permit me to dismiss his memory, with a mere chronological skeleton. His life deserves a fuller tribute. Not because he attained wealth, fame and public honors, nor because he was paragon of virtue. If I attempted to picture him as a perfect man, I would feel his frown from the grave; for during his whole life he abhorred all pretensions. His life was simple, direct and unassuming. He was, in the parlance of the West, “a man’s man” despising all fripperies and ostentations. His contempt for snobbery and affectation he never tried to conceal. He was generous and social-a splendid pal and companion for men. The core of his character was unswerving loyalty and sincerity. His faults and infirmities were open to the world for inspection. I have styled him ‘typical’. He was typical of that class of men known in Norway as “Husmands-sonner” - the sons of Housemen. This needs an explanation. A Houseman was one who was permitted by a farmer or landlord to build a house and occupy and improve a small piece of land on the condition that whenever called on he should work for the landlord up to a certain number days in the year. He might live sixty years on the plot of land assigned to him but he never became owner of the soil nor the improvements, nor was there any lessening of the tribute he was to pay. Therefore, the fortunes and comforts of Housemen varied according to the greed or generosity of their landlords. Naturally, the children of Housemen were compelled to live on plain and very often scant diet. Work hard and forgo all luxuries as well as the advantages of schools except what were necessary to fit them for confirmation. In many cases the fathers and mothers were practically the only teachers these children had. This will explain why Mr. Simonson who had only three weeks of public schooling, when a candidate for confirmation, was told by the priest who examined him that he was the best in his class because he always had his lessons. Another accepted fact in the lives of these Housemen was that their children must go out to service early in life. If poverty was not too great, they tried to keep their children home until they were confirmed. Simonsons’s service for strangers began before he was confirmed. He was sent far into the mountains as a herder. As soon as he attained sufficient strength and maturity he began to work in the woods and on the rapid streams that carried the logs on their way to market. Yes Simonson was the son of Houseman. I pause here to remark, that it would be an interesting study to ascertain how much of this country’s greatness is due to the healthy brain-fibre and sturdy bodies of the sons and daughters of Housemen as compared with what is owing to those who came here from homes of wealth, culture and learning. He was also a typical woodsman. He spent twenty-one seasons in the pineries in this county and some in Norway. A representative specimen of an era and a class of men that will not come again to our state until the brooding silence of the wilderness shall succeed the destructive forces of civilization. Nature and training had fitted him for this work. He was tall, strong, supple and enduring. He was an expert axman and “chopper” in the days when the ax was the most important tool in the pineries. Always of an unexcitable and equable temperament; full of humor and good nature that radiated from his person as naturally as light and heat does from the sun. It is not wonder that the “shanty boys found him the best of comrades and his neighbors the most cheerful of companions. Woven though the deepening shadows of age, his humor and sunny disposition shone at times with delightful brightness. Mr. Simonson was fortunate in possessing a wonderful health. Few are the men who can say as they pass their 88th year, “I have never had a doctor.” Not till a few days before his death was a doctor ever called for him. He was fortunate too in the fact that not only were all of his children, except one, alive but lived so near that all could be brought to his home in half an hour. During the last four and a half years he made his home with his son, Peter, and all who were interested in his well-being testify in the highest terms of praise to the kindness and tender care bestowed on him during thesr years. Especially his son’s wife remembered with gratitude for her constant and affectionate ministry to this patriarchal man. The sickness which brought to an end his long journey was brief. It also brought forth fruits from seeds planted in his mind and heart in childhood. Two days before his death he repeated the Lord’s Prayer, a verse from an old hymn and part of the Ten commandments. And just a few hours before he entered final rest, when he was to weak to utter the words himself, he called for the reading of the Lord’s Prayer. Written by H.A. Anderson, March 14, 1927 - THE WHITEHALL TIMES, MARCH 17, 1927

Helena Simonson was born in Loiten, Hedemarken, Norway, September 11, 1840; married to Peder Simonson January 11, 1866; came with her husband and three oldest children to U.S. in 1871; and spent the first three years at Onalaska, LaCrosse County. From there they moved to Fitch Coulee, Town of Pigeon, this county, where they lived for more than twenty years on the NE ¼ of section 23, same township and range, where they have had their home ever since. Mrs. Simonson has for several years prior to her death suffered from poor health, but with the help of her husband has managed to keep house most of the time without outside help. A few weeks ago her condition became so serious that she was persuaded to come to the home of her daughter, Mrs. Anna Steig, who lives in this village. Here, after being confined to her bed for about a month she died from apoplexy November 25, 1919. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Orke at his church in Pigeon Falls, and the deceased was buried in the Pigeon Falls lower cemetery Mrs. Simonson was the mother of eight children, all of whom except one, survive her and were present at her funeral. Her husband also is living in his 81st year. Following are the names of her living children in the order of their ages: Mary Phillipson, Nicolai Simonson, Selma Fredrikson, Anna Steig, Clara Schansberg, Peter Simonsona and Hulda Hanson. Pauline, the fourth child, died at the age of eight years from diphtheria. All the children live within a radius of less than fifteen miles. The foregoing is a brief chronicle of the principal events in the life of a pioneer wife and mother and tells but scantily, even by inference, of the toil, privations and hardships which during many years crowded her life. If it be added that she and her husband, like most of our immigrants from forty to sixty years ago, came here empty-handed, that her husband spent twenty winters in the pineries, many springs and summers on the rivers, and several more summers driving from four to six yoke of oxen breaking new land away from home, one way, even with a small amount of imagination, gain a slight vision of what that wife and mother must have done and endured before her children reached a self-supporting stage. But she was only one of many such, and we pass her on to her well-earned rest hoping that when she passed away she found a satisfactory reward in the contemplation of leaving behind her seven bright, intelligent, good and industrious citizens, most of whom are prosperous. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - DECEMBER 11, 1919

Funeral services were conducted Saturday, January 31, 1942 for Mathea Simonson from the Urlien home in Larkin Valley and the Blair First Lutheran Church. In 1938 she suffered a stroke from which she partially recovered and on Wednesday, January 28, 1942, she died at her home in Minneapolis as a result of subsequent strokes. Mattie was well known in our community having lived here many years before moving to Minneapolis. Mathea Pedersdatter Urlien was born May 12, 1870 in Faaberg, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway to Peder Olson Urlien and his wife, Marie Mattisdatter Grandalen. On May 26, 1870 she was baptized in the Faaberg church in which church she was also confirmed October 12, 1884. Mathea grew to womanhood in Norway and with her family, she came to America in 1892. The Urlien family lived in French Creek one year and in 1893, Peder Urlien homesteaded the Urlien farm in Larkin Valley. To equip herself with ability to converse with the people of her new homeland, Mattie spent 30 days in language school in LaCrosse. She found work in her professions of seamstress and cook. Her first employment was in Galesville after which she had work in LaCrosse and Minneapolis. After the death of her mother in 1898, she spent nine years keeping house at home. The last decade and a half she has made her home in Minneapolis. Mattie Urlien was a member of the local First Lutheran church where she was a regular recipient of the Means of Grace and was a faithful member of the church choir for many years. In the Ladies Aid she was very active, serving the society several years as president. Her father died in 1926. A sister, Anna, and a brother, Ole, survive her as do a niece, Mrs. Spencer Norrdin, two grand-nieces, Grace and Gloria Norrdin and two grandnephews, Phillip and Roger Norrdin. Her body now rests in the Urlien family lot in Rest Haven where it awaits the call of the great resurrection morn at the Lord’s appointed time. Sympathy is herewith extended the family. Pallbearers were: Charles Shelley, Olaf Lyngen, Melvin Thompson, Otto Olson, Melvin Onsrud and Melvin Everson. The grandnieces, Grace and Gloria Norrdin acted as flower bearers. THE BLAIR PRESS - FEBRUARY 5, 1942


Back to Home Page