Wisconsin Scandinavian Obituaries Ja-Jn

Wisconsin Scandinavian
Obituaries Ja-Jn

Norway Flag     Denmark Flag     Sweden Flag

Jackson Hans
Jackson Jacob
Jackson Mari Mrs.
Jackson Mathias
Jackwitz Josephine Marie Struck
Jacobsen Amos
Jackson Ole
Jacobson Haldor
Jacobson Hans
Jacobson Hans A.
Jacobson Hans Mrs.
Jacobson Hans Mrs. 2
Jacobson Nils
Jacobson Nels Mrs.
Jacobson Olaus
Jacobson Ole
Jacobson Sven
Jahr Hans O.
Jahr Ingeborg Mrs.
Jahr Matt
Jahr Otto Marthinus
Jedney Anna
Jenson Ole
Jermstad Ole Peterson
Jermstad Serena Mrs.
Jevene Even B.
Jevne Andrew

Death claimed the life of Hans Jackson, 78, Saturday noon, September 30, at the Community Hospital. Mr. Jackson’s death came as a shock to his family and the community resulting from an injury which he received Friday evening, fifteen hours before his passing. The injury was a skull fracture received by the deceased in a fall down the basement stairs at his home. Help was called immediately and physicians removed him to the hospital but never regained consciousness. Funeral services will be held this afternoon, Thursday at 1:30 at the Jackson home on Dewey Street and at 2 o’clock at Our Saviour’s Lutheran church, the Rev. O.G. Birkeland officiating. Burial will be in Lincoln cemetery. The five sons of the deceased and a son-in-law will be pallbearers. Deceased was born at Fron, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, August 25, 1861, the son of Thor and Mari Jackson. When he was six years old, the family came to America, settling in Coon Valley, where they stayed a short time then moved to Black River Falls. They finally settled permanently in Plum Creek, town of Arcadia. On March 30, 1890, Hans Jackson and Miss Katherine Pederson were married in Otter Tale County, Minnesota. Soon after their marriage they came to Trempealeau County and purchased a small farm in Irvin Coulee from Peder Evenson, long ago deceased. There they built up a splendid home and remained until retiring in 1926, when they purchased the home on Dewey Street where they have since lived. Mr. Jackson’s health was fairly good and had not the tragic accident occurred, he might have enjoyed years more of retired life. Deceased is survived by his wife; five sons, Carther of Grand Fork, North Dakota; Joel of Black River Falls; Claud of Independence; and Harry and Rudolph, who have taken over the home farm in Irvin coulee; and two daughters Irene, Mrs. Wallace Jones of Waukegan, Illinois and Mary, Mrs. Cornel Moe of Fly Creek. Two sons preceded him in death. Theodore, a victim of the World War, and Clarence, who died in infancy. Four brothers also survive, Matt and Gabe of Whitehall; Peter of Yellow Jacket, Colorado; and Ed Jackson of Minneapolis. Two brothers have gone before, Jacob, whose passing occurred last year in Independence and Torger. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - OCTOBER 5, 1939

Ms. Mari Jackson passed away at her farm home in Plum Creek Sunday, September 13, following an illness of two days, aged 91 years, 4 months and 8 days. Death was due to infirmities of old age. The deceased was born in Norway and there grew to womanhood. She was united in marriage to Thomas Jackson, and in 1867, then emigrated to America and settled on a homestead in Plum Creek, this county in 1869. Eight sons came to bless their home. Two sons preceding her in death. Theron at the age of three years, and Theron aged 19 years. Mr. Jackson answered the final summons July 19, 1899. The surviving sons are: Jacob, Henry, Math, Edward, Gabriel and Peter. Eleven grandchildren and three great-grandchildren also survive and one brother living in Norway. Mrs. Jackson is another of the early pioneers gone to her rest. She was a hard working woman and faced all problems with a determination to win. She was a person who enjoyed being at home and during the 56 years she lived on the homestead in Plum Creek valley she very seldom was away from home more than a few hours at a time. The past five years her granddaughter, Mrs. Cornil Moe and husband have resided with her on the farm. Funeral services were held at the farm home Wednesday afternoon at one o’clock and at the Norwegian Lutheran church at Independence at two o’clock, Rev. Orke of Pigeon Falls delivering the funeral sermon. Interment was made in Bethel cemetery in the Town of Lincoln. Thus another worthy pioneer is added to the honor roll. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - SEPTEMBER 17, 1925

Jacob Jackson, 79, resident of Independence since 1891, died at the Lutheran Hospital in LaCrosse, Monday, July 18, of cancer following weeks of suffering. Funeral services were held at the Independence Lutheran church Thursday, the Rev. O.G. Birkeland officiating. Burial was in Bethel cemetery. Mr. Jackson is survived by his wife and three sons, Herman of Fond du Lac, Myron of Crookston, Minnesota and Amos of Winona. There are three grandchildren and five brothers who survive, Hans and Gabe of Whitehall, Edward of Philadelphia and Mat and Peter of Yellow Jacket, Colorado. The sons and brothers attended except Ed, Peter and Mat, the latter of whom arrived a day late. Mr. Jackson was born June 2, 1859 at Nordrefrom, Gulbransdalen, Norway, son of Thomas Jackson and wife He came to this county with his parents when he was six years old. On July 2, 1891 he married Lena Hanson at Superior and in the fall of that year they moved to Independence, which remained their home. During his life there Mr. Jackson served a long period of years as village clerk and justice of the peace, as bookkeeper for the Sprecher Lumber Co. and custodian of the Lutheran Church. He was a cousin of Mrs. Mary Mason and Mrs. Gabe Gilbertson of Whitehall who, beside his brothers Henry and Gave and other people from here, attended the funeral. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JULY 28, 1938

Mathias Jackson was born in Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, June 6, 1866, son of Thomas Jackson and his wife, Mari Torgerson Jackson. When about a year old he came to this country with his parents and settled in Coon Valley. After a number of years they came to Plum Creek where the family settled on a homestead. Here and in the surrounding community he made his home the rest of his life. He passed away at the Community hospital September 28 at the age of 84 years, three months and 15 days. Funeral services were conducted at Our Saviour’s Lutheran church in Whitehall October 2, the Rev. O.G. Birkeland officiating. A chorus from the senior choir consisting of Mmes. B.M. Skogstad, Lewis Hanson, S.M. Salverson, Sam Galstad and Bennie Peterson sang. Casket bearers were four nephews, Claude, Harry, Joel and Rudolph Jackson and Cornell Moe and E.L. Gilbertson. Burial was at Bethel cemetery, Independence. Survivors are two brothers, Edward Jackson of Athens, Georgia and Gabe Jackson of Independence, besides several nieces and nephews. His parents and five brothers preceded him in death. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - OCTOBER 12, 1950

Mrs. Josephine Marie Struck Jackwitz passed away Saturday afternoon at 6:50 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Clara Bellerue at LaCrosse. She was born in Christiana, Norway, April 6, 1838, the daughter of Henry and Marie Struck. She was educated at the Misses Lotz & Bloum school, consdered the best schools in Norway. She was the first cousin of Johann Swenson, the noted composer. She came with her husband, C.R. Jackwitz and two daughters to Chicago in 1866 and to LaCrosse a year later, where she has made her home since, with the exception of about 25 years ago in Milwaukee. Her husband preceded her in death April 22, 1916. She leaves to mourn her death three daughters, Mrs. Clara Bellerue and Misses Helga and Harriett Jackwitz, all of LaCrosse; five grandchildren, Victor Bellerue of Blair, Mrs. W.A. Robbins of Mill Valley, California, Dr. Albert and Einar Bellerud of Iola, Wisconsin and Thomas Bellerue of Milwaukee; 8 great-grandchildren, one brother Henry Struck of Attelboro, Massachusetts, and two sisters, Mrs. Samuel Combes of Cleveland, Ohio and Mrs. Alexander Scrimger of Villa Park, Illinois. The funeral was held from the house at 3:30 Tuesday afternoon, Rev Mageilson officiating. Interment in Oak Grove cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - FEBRUARY 16 1922

Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon for Whitehall’s oldest male citizen, Amos Jacobsen, who passed away Tuesday, September 7, lacking only about two months of reaching his 94th birthday. While Mr. Jacobsen had been confined to his home closely the past three months or more, he was not seriously ill at the time. Gradually he lost his strength but he suffered no pain even at the last, when he peacefully passed into eternal sleep. Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon September 9, at the Rhode chapel, the Rev. E.B. Christophersen of Pigeon Falls conducting the service. Miss Bertha Galstad rendered two solos, “Softly and Tenderly” and “Abide With Me.” Services at the grave were in charge of the Trempealeau Valley I.O.O.F. lodge of which Mr. Jacobsen had been a member for many years. The services at the grave were in charge of R.E. Dissmore of Blair and Bert Thompson of Whitehall. Pallbearers, all brother Odd Fellows, were W.J. Webb, W.E. Harlow, N.L. Fredrickson, Bert Thompson, P.M. Paulson and John Beaty. Flowers were carried by Mrs. Bert Thompson and Miss Mayne Hallingstad. Mr. Jacobsen joined the German-American Order of Odd Fellows at the age of 28 and remained a member until retiring as a non-contributing member on account of his age. On September 2, the local lodge voted to present him with a veteran’s jewel. Mr. Jacobsen was born in Schleswig, November 23, 1849. A that time Schleswig was a park of Denmark but later became attached to Germany. His parents were Hans and Dorothy Hansen Jacobsen. The father was in the milling business in Denmark, and his son, Amos, learned the trade in his youth and worked during his young manhood for his father in his native land. Determined to seek the broader opportunities of America, he came to this county in 1870 and resumed his occupation as a miller. He first secured employment at Dexter, Michigan. Later he was engaged in his trade in Iowa, Wisconsin and finally in St. Paul. It was in that city that he met Nancy Rapp, a native of Jefferson County, New York. They were married on November 19, 1877. Following his marriage, Mr. Jacobsen rented a mill at Lansing, Iowa, which he operated for a time and then purchased a mill at DeSoto, this state, after which he bought a mill at Washburn, North Dakota, and subsequently operated a mill which he rented near Durand, Pepin county. On June 1, 1898 Mr. Jacobsen purchased the Coral City mill three miles east of Whitehall in the Town of Pigeon. He moved his family here, which consisted of his wife and two sons, John A. and Fred P. The Jacobsens improved the property and built a home near the mill, and for a period of 40 years successfully operated a flour and grist mill which served a patronage extending over a wide area. During the period when wheat was extensively grown in this community, the Jacobsen mill was operated 24 hours a day and flour was shipped in carload lots to numerous dealers. During a greater part of the year which the mill was operated, Mr. Jacobsen was faithfully assisted by his sons, both of whom learned the art of milling under his leadership. Mrs. Jacobsen was taken ill and died on December 28, 1910. Four years later on May 2, 1914, Mr. Jacobsen was joined in marriage to Leetitia Stevens, shortly after which they established their home in Whitehall. Continuing to operate the mill at Coral City, Mr. Jacobsen walked daily to his employment, put in a day’s work and walked home again. Known widely throughout the community, he was frequently given rides by acquaintances, but even when well past 80 years of age he occasionally walked to his work and home again. While possessed with a strong constitution, it perhaps was due to his industry and clean habits that he lived to such a ripe old age. He is survived by his wife, his two sons, John A. Jacobsen of Coral City and Fred P. of Toledo, Oregon; eight grandchildren and several great-grandchildren. Mr. Jacobsen was a citizen of the highest type. He was honest, industrious and ever willing to help a friend or one who was in need. The curtain has been rung down on the life of one of Whitehall’s most substantial citizens. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - SEPTEMBER 16, 1943

Ole Jackson had been ill since last May with the infirmities of old age at the home of his daughter, Mrs. T.U. Thompson, with whom he lived. He had been quite feeble for nearly two years. Death came Monday, January 25 and the following Thursday he was laid to rest in the Osseo cemetery, services being conducted by Rev. Aune from the Norwegian Lutheran church. Ole Jackson was born in Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, February 10, 1834. His wife preceded him in death nineteen years ago. He came to Dane county in 1866 and remained a short time when he moved to Trempealeau County where he took a homestead in Plum Creek valley and lived until about eighteen years ago when he moved with his son-in-law, T.U. Thompson, to a farm two mile east of Osseo. Besides numerous friends and other relatives, he leaves to mourn his death two daughters, Mrs. Ole Tande and Mrs. T.U. Thompson. Mr. Jackson was a lovable old man and his love for his grandchildren was paramount in his last few years. His memory will live with many of us for a lifetime. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - FEBRUARY 12, 1920

Ole Jacobson, an old and respected pioneer of Beaver Creek passed away at the Community hospital in Whitehall, August 1, 1925 at the age of 74 years, 8 months and 10 days. Death as due to the infirmities of old age, although he had been in fairly good health until a short time ago. Mr. Jacobson was born November 22, 1850 at Nordre Fron in Gulbrandsdalen, Norway. He came to this country the 25th of June 1871. In the year 1876 he was united in marriage to Karen Estensdatter Grytingalin. Immediately following their marriage they took up a homestead in Beaver Creek. He continued to improve this from the beginning and so satisfied was he that he remained on the old homestead until his death. Fourteen children came to bless their marriage union, twelve of whom are now living, and it is with deep sorrow they mourn the loss of a loving father. His aged wife, who has been his constant companion since the early struggles of pioneer days is also left to mourn his death. The children are as follows: Julius, Edward and Olaf who reside near the old home; Joseph who resides on the old homestead and Helmer who stays there with him; Mrs. Malene Haakenson of Maxbass, North Dakota; Mrs. Regina Anderson of Riga, North Dakota; Anton Jacobson of Granville, North Dakota; Mrs. William Milroy who resides in Washington, Louise, Clara and Minnie who reside at home. He is also survived by five sisters and one brother, namely: Hans Jacobson Brylokken, Mrs. Hans Uhti, Mrs. Ole Larson, Mrs. Amund Amundson, Mrs. Emil Hanson and Mrs. Hans Hanson. Mr. Jacobson has also lived to see the smiling faces of forty-six grandchildren who all mourn the loss of a dear grandparent. Funeral services were conducted on Wednesday at the home and interment made at Johnson cemetery in Beaver Creek Rev George Bredeson of Taylor officiating. A large concourse of relatives and friends were present at the funeral to pay their last respect to the departed. The bereaved family have the heartfelt sympathy of the community in their hour of sorrow. THE TAYLOR HERALD - AUGUST 7, 1925

The community was shocked Tuesday morning to learn of the death of our highly respected citizens Haldor Jacobson, who passed away at his home in this city that morning at 3 o’clock, after a short illness of erysipelas. His daughter, Miss Hannah, contracted the disease about two weeks ago and shortly afterwards her father came down with the sickness. All that could be done to relieve his suffering was done for him but the disease was more than he could battle and life slowly ebbed away. Mr. Jacobson was born in Ringebu, Gubransdalen, Norway, on February 2, 1852. He grew to manhood and was married there. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson were blessed with eleven children, five of whom passed from this life while still very young. Those surviving are: John, of Taylor; Henry of Borup, Minnesota; Ella, now Mrs. Mandnus Peterson of Albion; Clara, now Mrs. J.A. Drummond of San Francisco, California and Misses Hannah and Olga at home. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson came to America in 1874 and for some time resided on a farm near Rudd’s Mill, between Millston and Warrens, but later moved to this section and bought a farm in the Town of Albion, where they lived until a few year ago. In 1901 the good mother was taken away by death and some time later, Mr. Jacobson moved to this city to take life easy in his declining years. His daughter, Miss Hannah, has been his faithful companion and always been at home with him. Mr. Jacobson sent last winter in San Francisco with his daughter and returned here in the spring. He was an active man for his years, a highly respected citizen, and a hard working man in his younger days. He was cheerful and good natured and always spoke a good word for all. He was a faithful member of the Norwegian Lutheran church and was one of the organizers of the Squaw Creek church in the community in which he lived. The funeral was held from the home in this city at 1 o’clock in the afternoon and the remains were taken to the Squaw Creek church, where burial services were held at 2 o’clock conducted by Rev. L.S. Marvick. Interment was made in the church cemetery there. The sorrowing family have the sympathy of the entire community in their sad bereavement. Reprinted from the Black River Falls Banner. THE TAYLOR HERALD - DECEMBER 31, 1920

Hans Jacobson died suddenly last Friday, March 15, 1907, at 7:15 a.m., of heart disease, aged 57 years, 3 months and 24 days. Mr. Jacobson lived in the eastern part of the village and, as was his custom, started down town on the railroad. When he had nearly reached the railroad bridge spanning Irvine Creek he fell and rolled down the embankment opposite the residence of Andrew Bensend. Mrs. Bensend saw Mr. Jacobson coming. A moment later she failed to see him and realizing that he not had time to cross the bridge, she ran out of the house and saw the unfortunate man lying on the ground. When Mrs. Bensend reached him a moment later, he gasped once and all was over. Deceased had been troubled with heart disease for years and realized that he might drop away suddenly without notice. Deceased was born in Ulsaker, Norway, November 21, 1849. He emigrated to this country with his parents in 1867, they settling at Rushford, Minnesota. In 1868 his parents homesteaded in the Town of Hale, where they lived until their death. Deceased was married to Miss Olive Olson by Rev. Sjensen at Pigeon Falls, May 1, 1872. A year later he and his wife moved onto a homestead in Hale. Thirteen children blessed their union, ten of which, together with the wife, are left to mourn the loss of husband and father. The children are namely, Carl and Bent of Hale; Henry and Clara of Pigeon Falls; Mrs. John Beck of Whitehall; Mrs. Henry O. Mau of Hale; Selma of Whitehall, Emil of Denver, Colorado; and Alex and Manda of Whitehall. Deceased was a good citizen and a successful businessman and leaves his wife and children in comfortable financial circumstances. Mr. Jacobson was assessor of the Town of Hale for ten consecutive years. Several years ago he removed to Whitehall. About a year ago he bought a residence property in the village, where he lived at the time of his death. Mr. Jacobson has been a member of the village council a number of years and was a member of that body at the time of his death. He was a well known resident and took a lively interest in the success of the village. The funeral services were held at the house at 9 o’clock a.m. Tuesday and later at the Synod Lutheran church in Hale, interment taking place in the cemetery of the above church, Rev. O.K. Ramberg officiating. The entire family was present at the obsequies. The floral display was elaborate and fine. The bereaved members of the family have the sympathy of their many friends. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - MARCH 21, 1907

Oline Thorson was born in Stange, Norway, October 8, 1852. At the age of 12 years, she came to America with her parents, Ole and Olive Thorson, sisters Christine and Agnette, and brother Sever and settled with them in LaCrosse. On May 1, 1872, she was united in marriage to Hans Jacobson by Rev. Herven of Pigeon Falls. They homesteaded and resided in the Town of Hale until 1900. In the fall of that year they moved to Whitehall, which had been her home until the later years when she had made her home with her children. Her death occurred July 30 at 8:20 in the evening at the Community Hospital at Whitehall at the age of 80 years, nine months and 22 days. The cause of her death was pernicious anemia. Her husband preceded her in death 26 years ago and four sons, Carl and Otto, a few days old; Helmon, six months; and Emil, 23 years old, also preceded her in death. She leaves to mourn her death nine children: Carl and Bernt of Hale; Henry of Pigeon Falls; Clara, Mrs. Christ Sletten, Chimney Rock; Amelia, Mrs. John Beck, Big Fork, Minnesota; Nellie, Mrs. Henry Maug, Cornell; Selma, Mrs. Lewis Hanson, Taylor; Alec, Chimney Rock and Amanda, Mrs. Ralph Wiezorck, Ashland, besides 24 grandchildren, 17 great-grandchildren and her brother, Sever, of Sanford, Minnesota. Funeral services were held Wednesday, August 2nd from the old farmstead in Hale, now owned by Bernt, and later from the Hale Lutheran church by Rev. Hjalmer A. Oerke of Pigeon Falls. She was laid to rest beside her loved ones in the Jacobson lot, a lot which has been reserved for Nels and Bertha Jacobson and their three sons, Hans, Andrew and Nels and their families. Pallbearers were six of her grandsons, Harry, Hensel, Hans, James and Archie Jacobson and Lester Hanson. Flower girls were six of her granddaughters, Irene, Viola, Esther, Myrtle and Helen Jacobson and Hazel Maug. So ends the life of a kind and patient mother, one who endured much suffering and pain and who often expressed her desire to depart from this life and gain her heavenly reward. Blessed be her memory. Mr. and Mr. J.E. Rhode were in charge of arrangements. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUGUST 10, 1933

Nils Jacobson, 68 of his 70 ½ years a citizen in the Town of Hale, died of cancer at his home Tuesday, January 5. He was buried in the Hale Lutheran cemetery January 9 following services at the church, conducted by the Rev. N.E. Halvorsen. Pallbearers were his five sons and a nephew, James Jacobson. Mr. Jacobson was born in Ulsaker, Norway, July 1, 186, son of Nils and Berthe Jacobson. Before he was a year old, the family came to America, settling first on Highland Prairie near Rushford, Minnesota. A year later Nils Senior homesteaded the farm in Hale Township, Trempealeau County that the son at his maturity took over. As a boy, Nils was confirmed by the late Rev. Emmanuel Christophersen. On August 2, 1886, he was married to Miss Oline Spangberg of Chimney Rock, who survives him with 11 of their 13 children. Mrs. Jacobson is in good health and active. The two were feted on their Golden Wedding anniversary in August 1936. Two children died in infancy. Those surviving their father are: Nettie, Mrs. C.B. Caldwell, Winona, Minnesota; Belva, Mrs. Alex Gjestvang, Osseo; Karen, Mrs. Even Longberg, Elk Mound; Cornrad, Hale; Lewis, Osseo; Mary, Mrs. Melvin Olson, Whitehall; Hilman, Eleva; Bernice, Mrs. Robert Herman, Pleasantville; and Niel, Jerome and Viola at home. There are also 26 grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, one sister - Marta Solberg of Eau Claire, and many other relatives. Two brothers and one sister preceded him in death. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 28, 1937

Funeral services for Olaus Jacobson, 81, were held at the Rhode Chapel and Our Saviour’s Lutheran church last Friday, the Rev. O.G. Birkeland officiating. Burial was in the Fagernes church cemetery, Town of Arcadia. Nephews of the deceased, John, Emil and Martin Halverson and Sever, Albert and Edwin Moen carrying him to his final resting place. Olaus Jacobson, son of Martha and Jacob Erickson, was born in Ulsaker, Norway, October 3, 1860. He came to this county at the age of 13 years and made his home in this community and at Arcadia. He was confirmed in the Fagernes church. He never married. The last five years of his life he made his home with his sister, Mrs. Mina Moen, where he was taken sick with a stroke of paralysis on the Saturday morning previous to his passing. He was removed to the Community Hospital, where death came on Tuesday, October 21. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - OCTOBER 30, 1941

Oline Jacobson, daughter of Johan and Jorgine Spangberg, was born in Norway November 17, 1868. She came to America with her parents at the age of six years. They settled in Chimney Rock where she lived until she was united in marriage in August 1886 to Nels Jacobson. To this union 13 children were born of whom nine survive, namely, Belva, Mrs. Alex Gjestvang, Osseo; Karen, Mrs. Even Longberg, Elk Mound; Mary, Mrs. Melvin Olson, Caddot; Conrad and Neil of Hale; Louis, Hilman, Jerome and Viola, Mrs. Anton Vold, Osseo. Her husband preceded her death in 1937 besides two daughters, Nettie, Mrs. C.B. Caldwell of Winona and Berniece, Mrs. Robert Herman of Whitehall. Surviving also are 37 grandchildren, 21 great-grandchildren, five sisters, three brothers and a host of other relatives. Mrs. Jacobson lived on the old homestead in Hale for 63 years and passed away at the Community Hospital in Whitehall October 21. Funeral services were held October 25 in the home and at the Elk Creek church, the Rev. J.A. Westberg officiating. Miss Harriet Jacobson of Minneapolis, granddaughter of the deceased sang “I Know of a Sleep in Jesus Name and Mrs. EA. Sletteland sang the Norwegian hymn, “Den Store Hvide Flok.” Mrs. Westberg accompanying them both. Pallbearers were five sons and a nephew, James Jacobson, Conrad and Neil of Hale; Louis, Hilman and Jerome of Osseo. Two granddaughters, Mrs. Leonard Larson of Osseo and Mrs. Vernon Howe of Elk Mound, carried the flowers. Burial was in the Elk Creek cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - NOVEMBER 17, 1949

Sven Jacobson was born July 15, 1873 at Fron Gudbrandsdalen, Norway, where he attained manhood. In 1904, he came to this country and began working around Eleva. February 17, 1911, he was united in marriage to Petra Lokken. Seemingly Mr. Jacobson enjoyed good health and it was a surprise to his many friends when he was taken to the Luther hospital at Eau Claire on the 10th of October. He passed away the 18th of October, leaving to mourn his death his wife, two sisters in Norway, Anna and Julia; two sisters in Canada, Mrs. Oliver Stevens and Mrs. Knut Moen, and one brother, Haakon, living in Canada. The funeral took place from the Eleva Lutheran church, of which Mr. Jacobson was one of the trustees, Monday, October 23. The large funeral procession gave proof of the esteem in which Mr. Jacobson was held by his neighbors. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - OCTOBER 26, 1933

Nikkoline Jacobson was born in Smaalenlenes Atm., Norway, April 27, 1857. Here she grew to womanhood and about the year 1874 married Hans Jacobson. In 1882 Mr. Jacobson managed to get enough money together to buy a ticket to U.S., but was compelled to leave behind him his wife and three children. A year later he had earned enough to send for his family. Soon after the reunion of the family, Jacobson bought a piece of land on Big Slough in the Town of Curran, Jackson County, Wisconsin. Here hopefully, against great odds, they began their struggle to subdue the rough, stony and grub-covered land for the purpose of making a home. Both husband and wife were constant toilers, frugal in their habits and their character such as to inspire confidence and respect. After many years they found themselves surrounded by many well tilled acres of land and buildings sufficient to insure them comfort and sufficiency for their declining years. But Alas! The ease and comfort they had so long struggled for was not to be realized for Mr. Jacobson was stricken with a painful sickness which continued for several years. The wife and mother, who had reared nine children, was again called on to forego the rest she needed. Days of care and work, nights of broken sleep, came in seemingly unceasing succession. The suffering of her husband was of such an intense character that it constantly excited the keenest pity and sympathy. In 1918 the husband found surcease from his pains in death. But the wife was spent and broken. Only the hope of a glorious reunion with her husband brightened the evening of her life; for she also was confined to her bed with sickness for many months before her passing. She died at the home of her daughter, Clara Westlund, Minneapolis, July 24. Was buried by the side of her husband at Pigeon Falls July 27, Rev. Orke functioning at her funeral which was unusually well attended. She leaves to mourn her loss the following children: Ed M. Jacobson of Northfield, Jackson County, Wisconsin; Carl Jacobson of Los Angeles, California; Helmer Jacobson of Fly Creek, Trempealeau County, Wisconsin; Ida Marshall, Hilda Berntson and Clara Westlund, all of Minneapolis, Minnesota; and Willie Jacobson, who occupies the homestead in the town of Curran. All the children named were present except Carl, who is a R.R. engineer in California. Two children are dead. The writer of this sketch has known Mr. and Mrs. Jacobson since they came to this country and can truthfully say that he has known few who paid a higher price for the privilege of living in this world. But clear as an undimmed star in their patience, hope and faith have shone thru all their nights of distress and darkness, for always in their hearts they echoed the sentiments of David: “Yea, tho I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for Thou art with me.” Written by H. A. Anderson THE WHITEHALL TIMES - BANNER - AUGUST 2, 1923

Funeral services for Matt Jahr, 74, who passed away at the Whitehall Community hospital on Sunday, December 18, 1938, were held at the home in Blair and the Fagernes church in Welch Coulee Thursday, the Rev. Johan Olsen officiating. Vocal solos were rendered by Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Nelson. Pallbearers were P.G. Gunderson E. K. Stutlien, N.K. Nelson, E.E. Hanson, H. I. Hanson and Melvin Gunderson. Flowers were carried by four nieces of the deceased Verna Solberg, Sylvina Thompson, Mrs. Johnnie Schroeder and Mrs. Archie Kocum. Martinus Hanson Jahr was born in Enebak, Norway, April 8, 1864, the son of Hans Olson Jahr and Maren Erickson. He was baptized in the Lutheran faith in Enebak. The family, consisting of himself, his parents, one brother and two sisters immigrated to America, making the trip by sailboat and landing in New York via Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1869. They came directly to Trempealeau County and settled on the farm near Square Bluff which became their home from then on. Here Martinus grew to manhood and attended the public school which was then located near Square Bluff. At the age of 15 he was confirmed by the Rev. Gulbrand Lunde in the French Creek church. He later became a member of the Fagernes church. On May 15, 1893, he was united in marriage to Selma Otilda Solberg by the late Rev. S.S. Urberg of Blair. They were the first couple to be joined in marriage by him at Blair. After his marriage he continued to make his home on the farm in Welch Coulee which he purchased from his parents. Here he engaged in farming and took an active part in the community until 1921 when he retired from active farming and moved to Blair. Deceased became ill on Monday, December 12th at the home of his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. George Melby and on Saturday was removed to the Community Hospital at Whitehall where he passed away from pneumonia December 18, 1938 at the age of 74 years, 8 months and 9 days. Surviving the deceased are his wife and five children, namely, Manda, Mrs. George Melby of Ettrick; Odell of Welch Coulee; Elmer on the home farm; Leonard of Blair and Stella of Milwaukee. There are also seven grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. Julia Gilbert of Blair and an adopted brother, Otto Olson Jahr of Luck Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada. His parents, two brothers, Otto and Andrew, and two sisters, Mina and Hilda, preceded him in death. Several memorial were given to the Stoughton Old People’s Home, Gale College the Fagernes church budget and the Mission in memory of the deceased by neighbors, friends and relatives. THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 5, 1939

Otto M. Jahr of Minneapolis died at his old farm home in Preston July 9, 1920 at the age of 71 years, 4 months and 14 days. Mr. Jahr was born in Gjervik, Norway February, 23, 1849. There he grew to manhood and May 15, 1876, he was married to Ingebor Johnson. He leaves to mourn his death a wife, six sons and four daughters, two daughters preceding him - Mina and Mrs. Ida Lewis. The living are John Jahr, Preston; Carl, Whitehall; Eddie, Washington; Julius and Oscar, Independence; Mrs. Willis Casebere, Seattle, Washington; Sigvad, Egeland, North Dakota; Mrs. John McLeod, Kandijohi, Minnesota; Lillian and Stella with their mother in Minneapolis, and a brother, Matt Jahr and two sisters Mrs. Julia Gilbert at Blair and Mrs. Mina Johnson Lake Negagamon. His sons Sigvald and Eddie were unable to attend the funeral. Mr. Jahr left his home in Minneapolis June 12 and entered the Lutheran hospital at LaCrosse for an operation. He was seized with a severe illness and suffered untold pain but was patient and uncomplaining. On Thursday, July 9, death came to his relief. Mr. Jahr was a member the Synod Lutheran church and a faithful worker for fifty years; a good Christian; a kind and loving husband and father, and a good, upright neighbor and friend. The funeral was held Monday at 10 o’clock. A short service was held at the home first, then at the Fagernes church, which was filled with friends and neighbors, who had gathered to bid a last farewell to an old and honored friend. Rev. Bestul officiated. The pallbearers were Jens Sorlie, Ed Johnson, Henry Sorlie, Hans Solberg, John Hogden, Arnt Christanson. The floral tribute were many and beautiful, the evidence of the high esteem in which the departed one was held. THE WHITEHALLTIMES-BANNER - JULY 22, 1920

Mrs. Ingeborg Jahr was born in Sondreland, Norway, June 7, 1852. At the age of 14 years she was confirmed in her native country, Norway. That same year she immigrated to the United States in company with her parents, brother and sisters. They all preceded her in death. On May 15, 1873 she was united in marriage to Otto Jahr. They settled on a farm in Lakes Coulee where they farmed 36 years. After building a home in Galesville, they moved from the farm to live a quiet retired life in town They lived in this home for nine years. During the 10th years of retired life, Mr. Jahr purchased a home in Minneapolis. They then moved to the city in the fall of the year. During their residence in Minneapolis Mr. Jahr passed away. Mrs. Jahr lived in her urban residence for four years, but later moved back to the old homedtead which had been purchased by the oldest son John, when his parents moved to Galesville. She made her home on the farm for 13 years. For the past three years she has made her home with her son, Oscar and family, in Independence. Her age at the time of her death was 87 years, 7 months and 14 days. Twelve children were born to this union, five having passed away before her. Mina passed away in 1899, (Ida), Mrs. Ed. Lewis in 1918, John in 1923, (Tena) Mrs. John McLeod and Julius in 1925. The living children are Eddie in Spokane, Washington; (Amanda) Mrs. W.E. Casebere, (Lillian) Mrs. F.E. Norberg, St. Peter, Minnesota; (Estelle) Mrs. LE. Bellowsdf of Seattle, Washington; Sigvald, Hot Spring South Dakota; Carl of Whitehall and Oscar of Independence. There were also 25 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren; two grandchildren and one great-grandchild having passed away. Funeral services were conducted Tuesday, January 31, 1939 at 12:30 o’clock from the home and at 2 o’clock at the Fagernes church by the Rev. Johan Olsen and the Rev. Birkeland. Pallbearers were Helmer Hogden, John Johnson, Thomas Bergum, Olaf Christianson, Nels Nelson, and Sigvald Ekern. THE BLAIR PRESS - MARCH 2, 1939

Hans O. Jahr, a highly respected citizen of this town, while laboring under a temporary spell of insanity committed suicide by hanging himself with a rope from a beam in the barn on his farm in Welch Coulee between 3 and 4 o’clock p.m., Friday, June 7th. Mr. Jahr had been in poor health for the past year, his trouble being cancer of the stomach with which he was a great sufferer and was confined to his bed a greater portion of the last four months. When able, it was his custom to walk about the premises and nothing strange in his conduct was noticed by his relatives when he went to the barn to take his life. Deceased was born in Holland, Norway and he was 63 years, 4 months and 25 days old. He was married in 1863 to Mrs. Maren Bye, who had three children by her first husband, namely, Otto, a resident of Preston; Mrs. Thomas J. Gilbert, residing in this village, and Mrs. John E Johnson of Pelican Rapids, Minnesota. He was the father of two children - Mathias, who lives on the homestead and Miss Hildah of Winona. He emigrated to this country with his family in 1863, purchasing and settling upon a farm in Welch coulee upon which he continuously resided up to the time of his death. His wife and their children survive him. The funeral was held at the home Monday, Rev. O.A. Myhre of Frenchville officiating, and the remains being interred in the Fagernes Church cemetery. Mr. Jahr was a pleasant and social gentleman and leaves many friends to mourn his sudden and tragic death. Mrs. Jahr and children desire to express their sincere thanks to kind neighbors and friends for assistance rendered and sympathy extended at the death and burial of their husband and father. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - JUNE 13, 1895

Ole Peterson Jermstad, another old, respected pioneer of this section passed away at his home in Skutley Coulee, Friday, December 29, 1922 at the ripe old age of 85 years, 8 months and 23 days. Mr. Jermstad suffered a stroke of paralysis five days previous and this was the immediate cause of his death. He also suffered a stroke about five years ago but recovered except for his speech which was slightly impaired. His health had been fairly good, considering his advanced age, even the last few years. Deceased was born in Trondhjem, Verdalen, Norway, April 6, 1837 and came to this county, arriving in LaCrosse in 1867. He later moved to Black River Falls where he was employed by A.J. Spaulding in the then thriving lumber industry. He married Miss Serena Brown and in 1874 moved to the Town of Springfield and settled in Skutley Coulee. He was the second to settle in upper Skutley Coulee, and has seen this entire section develop from a wilderness to its present high state of development. Reprinted from the Taylor Herald THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 18, 1923

Anna Jedney, whose death resulting from burns received from a blazing kerosene stove was chronicled last week, was born in Folderdal Gravensogen, Hardanger, Norway on the 4th of August 1856, her maiden name being Anna Severson Folkedal. On April 22, 1882 she was joined in marriage to Ole Jedney of the same place and they on the 2nd of May of that year, coming direct to the Beaver Creek valley where they settled on a farm three miles north of Ettrick, a place they occupied for 22 years. On the 10th of April, 1905, they moved to Blair where they resided together until her death which occurred at the Lutheran Hospital at LaCrosse June 5, 1918 at 9 o’clock a.m. She is survived by a husband, Ole Jedney, and three sons, Eli S., of Black River Falls; Albert J., of Waukesha, and Tillman of Blair; all of whom were present at the funeral which was held from the Lutheran church Friday afternoon, Rev. Gimmestad of Galesville officiating. The pallbearers were: Svend Johnson, Tom Mikkelson, Alfred Thorbus, Albert Quammen, Knut A. Knutson and Curnell Grinde. Mrs. Jedney had a very amiable disposition and the small sphere in which she moved was greatly improved by her presence and action. Religious, charitable and social work found her a willing volunteer and worthy helper. The village will miss her very much. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - JUNE 13, 1918

Mrs. Serena Jermstad died at the home of Ingval Hegg, January 16, 1939 at 11 a.m. at the age of 91 years and five months. Mrs. Jerstad had been bedridden for the past seven years. She was born in Norway in August 1847 and came to America and Jackson County in 1867. In 1869, she was united in marriage to Ole P. Jermstad. Twelve children were born to this union. Mrs. Jermstad’s husband died December 20, 1922 and four children preceded her in death. Surviving are the following children: Mrs. Ingval Hegg, Taylor; Mrs. Pete (Anna) Moe, Black River Falls; Mrs. Ida Tormoen, Minneapolis, Minnesota; Mrs. C.C. Weeder, Watertown, South Dakota; Sam and Bennie, Taylor; Peter of LaCrosse and Olaf of Fargo, North Dakota. THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 19, 1939

Even B. Jevene was killed by a tree which fell onto him while he was grubbing on the farm of H.C. Carpenter in Preston, Friday afternoon, June 2nd. He did not return to the house for supper and Mr. Carpenter suspecting something might be wrong went to the place where Jevene had been working and found him dead with a large tree lying across his back. The coroner, Dr. Parker, of Whitehall, was summoned who visited the scene, accompanied by District Attorney Hensel and Sheriff Nelson. The coroner’s jury rendered a verdict that deceased came to his death in the above mentioned manner. The body was removed to Mr. Carpenter’s home and Sunday, it was buried in the Synod Lutheran church cemetery at Blair, Rev. S.S. Urberg officiating. Deceased was about 22 years old and unmarried. He came from Norway last November, C.M. Olson of Hale paying his fare to this country. He had no near relatives in America, J.E. Hovelsrud of Hegg and Mrs. Helen Engen of French Creek, being distant relatives, his parents residing in Norway. He was of good habits, industrious and trustworthy, and had been employed by Mr. Carpenter about two months. It will be sad news to his parents across the ocean. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - JUNE 8, 1905

Ole Jenson died Thursday at the home of Mrs. E. Jenson of this city. His death was due to kidney disorder from which he had suffered many months. Funeral services were held Saturday morning from the Jensen home, conducted by Rev. L.M. Gimmestad. Following this service the Masonic fraternity took charge of the remains, which were shipped to Savanna, Illinois where interment was made Sunday afternoon, the Masons of the Illinois city conducted the last service. Mr. Jensen was born in 1841 in Hedemarken, Norway. He came to America in 1867 and entered the employ of the C.H. Nicholls Lumber Co., at Onalaska. This was in the days when the lumber business boomed at that point and the Nicholls mill was one of the largest on the Mississippi. From an untrained employee, he rose to the position of manager of the mills. In 1884 he was elected sheriff of LaCrosse county. He was connected with this office for eleven years. Later he engaged in the real estate business in LaCrosse. For a number of years he was employed as a traveling salesman for different LaCrosse wholesalers and manufacturers. For twelve years he had charge of C.B. & R. railway eating house at Savanna, Illinois. His last position was with the Burlington railroad. A few years back his health failed and he was obliged to retire from active service and then the disease that ended his career fastened upon him. He came to Galesville last October to recuperate. Mr. Jensen as first married in 1874 to Emma Swanson. Three children were born to this union, two of whom died in infancy. A son, Charles is at the soldier’s home in Milwaukee. The mother died twelve years ago. In 1910 Mr. Jensen was again married, taking for his wife Miss Mable Keiser of Savanna. The widow and two children, a son and a daughter, survive him. Other relatives are T.E. and Misses Lena and Mary Jensen, nephew and nieces, of Galesville. Reprinted from the Galesville Republican. THE WHITEHALL TIMES BANNER - FEBRUARY 10, 1916

Andrew Jevne, 88, was found dead at his farm home where he lived alone in Stensven Coulee, rural Ettrick Sunday morning. It is believed that he died Saturday. He was born in Norway, July 6, 1878, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Jevne, and came to this country with his parents at the age of five. He was unmarried. Survivors include three sisters, Mrs. Hans (Anna) Fall, rural Ettrick; Mrs. Roy (Ida) Stensven and Mrs. Otilie Sime, Ettrick. Funeral services were held Wednesday at 2 p.m. at Hardies Creek Lutheran church. The Rev. H.P. Walker officiated and burial was in the Hardies Creek cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - DECEMBER 8, 1966

Henry A. Jacobson, successful merchant of Pigeon Falls, was born at North Branch, Hale Township, this county, January 5, 1878, son of Hans and Olena (Saastad) Jacobson. Hans Jacobson was born in Norway in 1851 and came to America in 1867 with his parents, lived two years in Minnesota, later settled at North Branch, in this county, and farmed there until 1898, when he moved to Whitehall, where he died in 1907, his good wife, who was born in 1852, still making her home in that village. Henry A. Jacobson remained with his parents until 19 years of age, and then went to work as a farm hand. May 1, 1901, he secured employment at Pigeon Falls in the store of Torgerson & Jacobson. The store and stock were destroyed by fire in 1912, and the present edifice was erected. It is a frame structure, 28 by 42 feet, two stores high and a basement, and is well equipped and stocked for the carrying on of a large mercantile business. Mr. Jacobson has been the sole owner since 1913, and has built up a constantly increasing business. He has the confidence and esteem of the village and country people, and his trade extends for miles around. Mr. Jacobson was married July 10, 1904 to Anna Wold, born June 22, 1885, daughter of Ever and Mary Wold, and to this union has been blessed with four children, Hansel, Myrtle, Archie and Irene. The family faith is that of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUTY - 1917


Back to Home Page