Racine County ALHN

Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church

As published in "The History of Racine and Kenosha Counties" (Chicago: 1879), page 383

The Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church was organized in 1843. Richard Davis was the first resident minister. Previous to this time, a class existed holding meetings in various log houses. The organizing members were Reese Evans, John Roberts, Humphrey Evans, William Hughes, etc. The first house of worship, a frame building, was erected during the ministry of Rev. Mr. Davis, in 1844; it was enlarged in 1850. The present brick edifice was erected in 1856, and on July 4, of that year, a flag floated over it, bearing the words, "Free Speech, Free Soil, Free Press and Fremont." It was dedicated in 1857, by Rev. Thomas Foulkes, its minister at that time. An addition was made in 1876, for Sunday school purposes, so arranged that the paneled arch back of the pulpit can be taken out to enlarge the capacity of the room, in case of an increased audience. The church was incorporated under the laws of the state in 1855, with the following corporate members: Rev. Edward T. Evans, Thomas E. Jehu, Humphrey Evans, John H. Evans, William W. Vaughan, and Rowland Edwards. William W. Vaughan was Secretary for five years and subsequently Treasurer for some twenty-seven years. The present membership numbers 265. Joseph Roberts is the present Pastor. Connected with the church is a flourishing infant Sunday school, with an average attendance of 100, including teachers; also Bible classes for adults, with an attendance of 150 persons. The church property is valued at $8,000.

Click here to go to

Back to the Racine Co. Churches & Temples page