Racine County ALHN

German Close Communion Baptist Church

As published in "The History of Racine and Kenosha Counties" (Chicago: 1879), p. 386

The German Close Communion Baptist Church was organized December 5, 1854. Rev. John Eschmann was its first minister, and the following were the original members: Rudolph Haab and wife, Franz Hubachek and wife, Mr. Ordemann and wife, Hermann Mitsch and wife, Babetta Egli, Katharina Egli, Caspar Egli, Julia Amann. The latter two are still members of the Church. The first house of worship was erected in the summer of 1856, on Villa street, between Eighth and Ninth streets. In 1878, a new church edifice was built of brick, on Huron street, and dedicated September 8, of that year. The church property is estimated at $6,000. The present membership numbers eighty-one. The pulpit is filled by Rev. William Schunke. The Sunday school, conducted in the basement of the church, numbers eighty scholars and eleven teachers. Its Superintendent is George Bucher.

Click here to go to

Back to the Racine Co. Churches & Temples page