WIGenWeb

Price Co WI

USGenWeb Logo

 

Home

Announcements

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Cities, Communities & Villages

County Information

Funeral Homes

Genealogies

Guest Book

Libraries

Maps

Pensioners

Photos

Queries

Strays

Surnames

Surnames: 1881

Surnames: 1905-06

Towns

Veterans

Vital Records

 

Resources:

   Mailing List

   Links

   Lookups

  WIGenWeb

   USGenWeb

       

 

Civilian Conservation Corps

(CCC Camps)

 

The Civilian Conservation Corps, more commonly referred to as the CCC's, was established on 21 March 1933 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. It was part of Roosevelt's New Deal legislation and was designed to reduce the number of men unemployed as a result of the Great Depression.

 

The CCC soon became one of the most successful programs of the New Deal due to its popularity among the general public. The CCC operated in every US state and some US territories. It included an Indian Division that provided some relief to the Native American Reservations in western states.

 

The Civilian Conservation Corps was operated by the United States Department of the Army and sponsored by various other government departments. The CCC's in Price County were sponsored by the Department of Forestry. Their primary objectives were road building, tree planting, stream improvement and reduction of the rabbit population.

 

The men who joined the CCC lived in camps (tents and rustic cabins); wore uniforms and followed a quasi-military discipline regime. It was a requirement that they send $25 of their $30 monthly salary back home to their family. 

 

There were several CCC camps scattered throughout the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest between 1933 to 1942. 

 

Civilian Conservation Corps - Price County

 

Camp Name

Date Established

Project No.

Company No.

Location

Riley Creek

14 May 1933

F-3

642

Fifield: sixteen (16) miles east of Fifield on Highway 70.

Sheep Ranch

19 May 1933

F-4

644

Phillips: Sheep Ranch was often called "Skookum Valley" and was located on Jacob Steiger Road (four miles east of Joseph Loula, Sr's homestead.

Connors Lake

 

23 Jun 1933

 

S-56

 

1610

 

The camp named Connors Lake was located twenty-six (26) miles west of Phillips. It was established with 30 men but soon grew to house over 300 men. It was so large it had side camps at Park Falls and Loretta.

 

All three CCC camps in Price County were closed by 1940..

 

If you have additional information about the Price County CCC's that you would like to share, please contact the County Coordinator.

 

 

 

 

 

 

You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive]visitor

.

last edited

19 Jan 2014 

Copyright Notice: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Tami Lorbecke [tlorbeck@hotmail.com] or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.