Peninsula Genealogical Society - Door Co. WI
updated 30 Jul 2010
Town of Sevastopol
Door County, Wisconsin
See: HISTORY OF DOOR COUNTY for more History of Door County including early settlers.
YEAR FORMED: 1859 - set off from Otumba.
LOVEJOY (1836) came from Canada and “squatted” on what was called Hibbard’s Bluff-fisherman;
John P. CLARK, fisherman (1838);
Isaac CLARK, fisherman (1842).
ETHNIC GROUPS: Norwegian, German, English, Irish, Swiss, Dutch, and French.
Farming, Fishing, Sailing, Shipbuilding, Lumbering, Land Speculation, Fruit Growing, and Stone Quarrying.
(1) Apple Orchard- Proprietor: Joseph ZETTEL (1862-1890)-located at R26E S27.
(2) Pier-Proprietor: Geo. W. MARSH (1867)-located at Podunk.
(3) Pier, Mill, Store, Blacksmith Shop-Proprietors: HORN and MASHEK-located at Lily Bay.
(4) Stone Quarry-Proprietors: LAURIE Bros. (1899)-located on west shore R26E S19.
(5) Pier, Mill, Store, Cooper Shop-Proprietors: V. And C.V. MASHEK (late 1800's)-located at Voseville (Whitefish Bay).
SOME FAMILIES ASSOCIATED WITH TOWN:
KLINKENBERG, SOLWAY, HANSON, SALVISON, SACKETT, CRASS, BASSFORD, LAURIE, KING, ZETTEL, SCHUYLER, STEPHENSON, HOCKS, HELDMAN, MEYER, ARMBRUST, SIMON, MARTIN, TEMPLETON, FINNEGAN, DANIELS.
MORE TOWN OF SEVASTOPOL BAY PEOPLE-Biographies found in: History of Northern Wisconsin-1881
ARMBRUST, Nichols (farmer, PO Malakoff)
CRASS, Jacob (farmer, PO Malakoff)
HERBOLD, Philip (farmer, PO Sturgeon Bay)
MARTIN, Henry (farmer, PO Sevastopol)
(1) SS. Peter and Paul Catholic Church: (organized in 1884): LOCATION: Institute -address: 4767 Dunn Road, Sturgeon Bay WI 54235. Records start date: Baptisms-1886, Marriages-1887, Funerals-1888. For more records information see Green Bay Catholic Diocese Archives.
(2) St. John Lutheran Church - WELS-address: 4911 Brauer Road, Sturgeon Bay WI 54235.
(3) Moravian Church-located at Whitefish Bay old School Building.
(4) Seventh Day Adventist Church-6121 Gordon Road (County Highway BB), Sturgeon Bay WI 54235.
Sevastopol Consolidated School System-School buses of the 1920's and 1930's
Millions of tons of Door County stone taken from quarries in the Town of Sevastopol have been used in building Lake Michigan harbors and towns.
LOCATION AND ADDRESS OF TOWN HALL:
Sevastopol Town Hall used to be on Highway 57 between The Farm and the hill. The Town Board meets at the Sevastopol High School.
DAMAGE DUE TO FIRE OF OCT 1871:
One barn and the crop of Luke COYNE lost.
(1) Institute (1892-1895, 1897-1906),
(2) Lily Bay (Lily Pier) (1879-1882),
(3) Malakoff (1874-1881),
(4) Sevastopol (George BASSFORD’s Corners) (1874-1902),
(5) Valmy (1899-1903),
(6) Voseville (Whitefish Bay) (1881-1902).
Return to the DOOR COUNTY CIVIL TOWNS Page
Return to the PGS Page
RETURN TO THE HOMEPAGE