Orphan Train - Wisconsin


Samuel Robinson

Samuel J Robinson Dies Suddenly at Home Friday Afternoon Four O'Clock

The many friends of S. J. Robinson were startled last Friday morning as they were told that Mr. Robinson had taken seriously ill in the night and that it was not expected that he would live until sundown and this proved only too true, for at about four o'clock in the afternoon the spirit of Samuel J. Robinson had taken its flight.

About one o'clock Friday, as near as Mrs. Robinson can remember, Mr. Robinson complained of a severe headache - he had been for four or five years subject to severe attacks of headache and usually got up, made strong coffee and drank it, or walked the floor until the headache eased up a little. Not much attention was paid to him by Mrs. Robinson until she heard him fall to the floor. She got up, helped him to the sofa and went for Dr. W. H. Monroe. The doctor realized that his patient was seriously ill and had Dr. L. B. LaCount called for consultation. The doctors diagnosed the case uremia, or acute Bright's disease, and that there was no possible hope of recovery, and that it was only a question of a few hours when the end would come.

S. J. Robinson was born in New York state July 9, 1847. Mr. Robinson could remember his home, that it consisted of himself and one brother and father and mother. His father died and he was sent to an orphan home and never knew what became of his mother and brother. He was at the orphan home until he was seven years old. He was one of a whole carload of orphaned children who were shipped west. It fell to his lot to become a member of the family of Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Stephenson of Oshkosh, where he remained until he was thirteen years of age. He left his foster parents and for two years lived here and there among the farmers in the vicinity of Oshkosh, working in the fields in the summer and attending school in the winter time. From Oshkosh he went to Baraboo, where he worked in a chair factory for seven years making his home with Mr. and Mrs. E. M. Coon. He then came to Wausau and entered the employ of P. B. Champagne, who sent him up to Grandfather to run the station operated by the latter. In the summertime he worked at the painter's trade which he had learned in the chair factory. When P. B. Champagne became a resident of Merrill, Mr. Robinson also moved to Merrill. In 1884 he was elected clerk of the court, which office he acceptably filled for two years. Since then he has followed his occupation, that of painter and decorator.

Mr. Robinson was married on Dec. 22, 1879, at Wausau, to Miss Cecila Selmer, who, with two children survive him. The children are Morgan, aged 16 years, and Olive, aged 2 years. He was a member of the West Merrill Lodge No. 49, I.O.O.F., Home Forum and Maccabees, the two latter in which his life was insured for $3,000: $1,000 in the Home Forum and $2,000 in the Maccabees.

The funeral was held last Sunday and was under the auspices of West Merrill Lodge No. 49, I.O.O.F. and Markey Tent, No. 30, K.O.T.M., in full regalia. First came the Maccabees, the Jenny Lodge, followed by the West Merrill Lodge. After prayer at the house the body was conveyed to Scott Memorial church, where the services were conducted by M. J. Cook, Noble Grand. The scripture responses were read, and after prayer by Rev. Hughes, Rev. Clark delivered the funeral sermon, after which those present viewed the remains and passed out of the church, when the societies again formed in marching order. From the church the cortege moved to the cemetery, followed by a large line of people in carriages. At the grave the burial rites of Oddfellowship were carried out and the mortal remains of S. J. Robinson were laid to rest. The pall bearers were Frank Carheno, W. R. Hughes, Mr. A Christian, L. P. Boyer, Joseph Kubasta and Frank Bielny.

Carl Hankwitz, Herman Zipp and Len Barber were members of the committee from West Merrill Lodge, No. 49, I.O.O.F., that had the immediate funeral arrangements in charge. H. W. Boyer, W. R. Hughes, and R. C. Wilson arranged the order of march. Some very beautiful floral offerings were made.

Aug. Selmer, brother of Mrs. Robisnon and Fred Selmer, a nephew, of Iola, were those who attended from abroad.

The Merrill Advocate, Merrill, Lincoln County, Tuesday, May 18, 1897

If you have more information on the above Orphan Train Rider, please contact this site at tsvickery@adelphia.net.


you are visitor [an error occurred while processing this directive] to this page
Site Index Trains People Places Photos Stories Links

Copyright Notice: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator and/or contributor. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Tina Vickery [tsvickery@adelphia.net] and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissable to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.
this page last edited 06 Dec 2003