Marinette County WIGenWeb - Centennial History - Schools

<< Contents | Home >>

Schools Were An Early Priority Here

Among others of national and international fame who appeared at Pine Beach were General Ballington Booth of the Salvation Army; Samuel Gompers, president of the American Federation of Labor; Miss Jane Adams who organized Chicago's famed Hull House; and several leaders of the prohibition movement.

Summer Chautauqua ended in 1909 and the property was taken over by the Pine Beach Club in 1913.

Another part of adult education was the Stephenson Training School, later to be called the County Normal School or the Teacher's College. When it was organized in1905 with A.M. Olson as principal and Elizabeth King as teacher, it began to pioneer in teaching agriculture and domestic science to young adults, as it prepared them to teach in the county's schools.

A Vocational School was organized in Marinette in 1916 under permissive legislation passed in the 1911 session of the Wisconsin Legislature. At first the emphasis was upon adult training and in giving additional education and training in vocational arts to young people who left high school before graduation. Gradually the educational direction has changed and today NWTI [Northeast Wisconsin Technical Institute] is part of the larger Green Bay school. The Marinette County branch moved to its new building in 1971 and now grants a one year vocational diploma and two year associated degrees. It meets training needs of local industries and is placing emphasis on the increasing need for evening adult education.

The University of Wisconsin Center of Marinette County filled a need for local residents especially when the County Teacher Training School was discontinued in 1965. The main building of the U.W. Center was completed in 1965 and expanded in1970. the fine arts building, with an excellent theater and meeting facilities, was completed in1969 while the 30,000 volume capacity library and a large physical education building were dedicated in 1970.

Located on a 36 acre  plot on the shoreline of Green Bay, the University Center has a teaching staff of over 21 people and an administrative staff of six.

Just as education has changed from the one-room school taught by the Podulupes in 1851 to the present, so shall there be continuing, if not startling, changes in the next hundred years. Education could become a continuing process from early childhood to well into retirement years, with more emphasis upon community-wide education, rather than that just held in school buildings. But, if the past century has taught us anything, it has shown that Marinette County will be able to meet whatever needs arise, and will continue to be a leader in offering educational opportunities to the people of Marinette County.

(Marinette County Centennial 1879-1979, p. 15)

<< Contents | Home >>

 

 

County Coordinator (e-mail)
Neighboring Counties: [Oconto] [Florence] [Forest] [Menominee (MI) ] [Dickinson (MI)]
[Home] [WiGenWeb] [USGenWeb] [WorldGenWeb] [Rootsweb]

2001 Deana C. Hipke