Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
History of Werner, Juneau Co.


In the Winter of 1849-50, John WERNER sold out his interest in the firm of T. Weston & Co., at Necedah, and, in 1856, located at the present village of Werner, in Germantown, and subsequently became its original proprietor. The first settlement made in the village of Germantown was in 1848, by Uriah HILL and Usal V. JEFFREYS, for T. Weston & Co. The shanties and other improvements were situated on the present site of that village. In 1851, Messrs. Weston & Co. sold all that part of their claim to Walter B. GAGE and Jacob GUNDLACH. The land was purchased from the Government in the Fall of 1852, and subsequently Messrs. Gage and Gundlach laid out and platted the village of Germantown. In 1856, Messrs. William & D. R. W. WILLIAMS purchased an interest from Mr. Werner, and erected a saw-mill at that place. This property has changed hands several times, and is now owned by McQueen, Davis & Co. In 1859, Mr. Werner built another saw-mill a short distance below the village, and in 1860, sold it to its present proprietor, Mr. J. ARNOLD. Michael BANFIELD and Frank CANFIELD made the first settlement in the town of Armenia, near Cranberry Creek, on the road leading from Necedah up the river.
Source: History of Northern Wisconsin. Publisher: Western Historical Co., Chicago 1881 p. 394

return to homepage