Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content.
Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Organized: 1851, by Sauk County Board as the Town of Dells;
1854, changed to Lindon; 1857, changed to Kildare
Origin of Name: Dells, from the Dells of the Wisconsin River;
Lindon, from the New Hampshire home of Town Leader, James COPE;
Kildare, from the Irish home of many settlers.
First Settler: Frank Provonsal, 1839
First Church: St. Bridget's, 1851
First Recorded Town Tax: $1251.00, Nov. 8, 1865
First Town Chairman: James Heavey
Even prior to the construction of the railroad through Juneau in 1855-57,
Kildare had a sizeable population of Irish immigrants. It has remained
one of the few recognizable ethnic groups in the County.
St. Bridget's, near Lyndon Station, was the first church building in the
County. Kildare was called Lindon when Juneau County was formed in
1857 and the first Supervisor answered the roll call accordingly.
Kildare absorbed part of the short-lived Town of Waucedah in 1857 and acquired
a portion of the Roger's Mill Community on the Lemonweir.
source: Juneau County, The First Hundred Years, published
return to homepage