Township History - 1880
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
(From the "History of Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin" published by the Western Historical Company, Chicago, IL. - 1880)
FRIENDSHIP1880 Friendship Township
This, one of the most level and unbroken towns in the county, was, previous to being erected into its present proportions, a portion of Eldorado. An act by the Legislature, approved February 1, 1849, set off so much of the territory of Eldorado as was in Township 16 north, Range 17 east, into a separate town called Friendship, the first election to be held at Lyman Walker's house. Friendship lies along the west shore of Lake Winnebago, and contains but seventeen full sections of land, the balance being shore-marsh and lake. In this town the State owns some overflowed lands in Sections 3 and 10. The town contains but few springs and streams. Its soil is very deep and rich; its timber tracts of excellent quality; its crops varied and profitable, and its inhabitants, being near a good market, generally well to do.
The first election was held at Lyman Walkers house April 12, 1849. The first settler was Champion Wilson, who came in 1845. In 1846, L. Forbes, Russell McCarty, Edwin Roberts, C. B. Matteson and, perhaps. others settled in the town.
The first births were Julius Roberts and Dora Cook.
The first deaths were two, recorded near together - Burns and Coleman.
In 1847, a school was taught on Section 28, by Elias Worden.
In 1848, a schoolhouse was erected on Section 21, in which Miss Robinson taught the first school.
In 1849, John Prescott preached the first sermon in the town in Lyman Walkers house.
In 1848, Friendship Post Office was established - Jackson Pritchard, Postmaster. Van Dyne is the present post office, and D. N. Morgan, Postmaster.
In 1851, Adolph Henning opened, on Section 16, the first store in Friendship.
In 1860, the German Methodists built a church edifice on Section 17. The town now contains two churches - the German Methodist, P. Limber, Pastor, and German Lutheran, John Rosenthal, Pastor. In 1879, a cheese factory was built in the town. The Chicago & North-Western Railway extends across Friendship from south to north, maintaining a station at Van Dyne. In 1851, the inhabitants along the lake shore began to be uneasy when, without any apparent reasonable cause, Lake Winnebago began to steadily advance upon their shore lands. As the waters continued to advance, they continued to be more uneasy. Nearly one thousand acres were overflowed at this time, caused by the erection of dams at Neenah and Menasha.
In 1854, the cholera made its appearance in Friendship, causing greater consternation than the sudden rise in Lake Winnebago. The disease appeared in August, and resulted fatally in six instances.
Champion and Minor Wilson, soon after the first settlement of the town, began the manufacture of chairs, which they continued until the larger factories made the business unprofitable. Whether Minor Wilson settled within the town limits in 1841, the year before the accepted time of permanent settlement, is a matter of question. There seems to be more than a probability that he did.
The population of Friendship is composed mostly of French and Germans.
The Chairmen and Town Clerks, since the town was separated from Eldorado, have been: In 1849, Henry Bruce and Edwin R. Roberts; 1850, Henry Bruce and Edwin R. Roberts; 1851, Charles Wheton and Edwin R. Roberts; 1852, Minor Wilson and Hector Munro; 1833, Adolph Henning and Hector Munro; 1854, Adolph Henning and Hector Munro; 1855, Ebenezer Austin and Hector Munro; 1856, John Stoddart and Hector Munro; 1857, Charles Carberry and Hector Munro; 1858, John Stoddart and Hector Munro; 1859, John Stoddart and Hector Munro; 1860, John Stoddart and Mitchel Perrizo; 1861, Charles Carberry and John Stoddart; 1862, Joseph Kinsman and Mitchel Perrizo; 1863, Joseph Kinsman and Mitchel Perrizo; 1864, Joseph Kinsman and Mitchel Perrizo; 1865, Charles Carberry and Mitchel Perrizo; 1866, Charles Carberry and Mitchel Perrizo; 1867, Charles Carberry and Hector Munro; 1868, Charles Carberry and Hector Munro; 1869, Charles Carberry and W. J. Raycraft; 1870, Joseph Kinsman and William Lumly; 1871, Joseph Kinsman and William Lumly; 1872, Hector Munro and Fitch Kinsman; 1873, Hector Munro and Fitch Kinsman; 1874 Charles Carberry and Fitch Kinsman; 1875, Joseph Kinsman and Hall McCourt; 1876, Patrick McMonagle and Hall McCourt; 1877, Joseph Kinsman and Hall McCourt ; 1878 and 1879, Theodore Herrling and Hall McCourt.
Thanks to Ron Friedel for preparing these pages in html format.
27 Dec 2003
and to share this data with other researchers at no charge.
If you have corrections or additions to share, please contact Tracy Reinhardt by email at [email protected]
Disclaimer | Privacy Statement
These electronic pages may not be reproduced in this format for profit or presentation
by any other organization or persons without the permission of Tracy Reinhardt
Copyright © 2009 by Tracy Reinhardt
** Ruth Shaw Worthing, The History of Fond du Lac County, as told by its Place-Names, 1976.
** The History of Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880.
** Portrait and Biographical Album of Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, Chicago: Acme Publishing Company, 1889.
** A. T. Glaze, Incidents and Anecdotes of Early Days and History of Business in the City and County of Fond du Lac from Early Times to the Present, Fond du Lac: P. B. Haber Printing Company, 1905.
** Maurice McKenna, ed., History of Fond du Lac County, Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912.
** Wisconsin Volunteers: War of the Rebellion 1861-1865
** Plat Book of Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, C. M. Foote & Co. 1893