Diary of Isaac W. Clason
Dodge County Wisconsin Genealogy
WIGenWeb Project logo used on this page created by Debbie Barrett

Are you related to this Civil War soldier?

Isaac W. Clason, a volunteer from Co. B, 2nd Minnesota Volunteers, kept this diary during his service in the Civil War. He speaks of his brother in the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry (Rufus L. Clason), Art Reed, a friend from Beaver Dam who is a Wisconsin volunteer and of an Uncle Isaac (Isaac Lewis Clason) and Uncle Mitchell in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.

Isaac's parents were James Ferris Clason and Louisa Robinson. His Clason grandparents were James Clason and Abigail Ferris. James Clason was born in 1777 in Stamford, CT and married Abigail Ferris in 1799. They had 9 children, one of whom was James Ferris Clason. From Stamford, CT they moved to Orange County, New York and then later to what became known as Clason Prairie near Beaver Dam, Dodge County, WI. If you are interested in this family, a fairly extensive family history has been compiled by Earlene Mae Bale and can be found at the Beaver Dam Community Library (Stephen (1) Clason and Elizabeth Perriment of Stamford, Connecticut. 1625-1890. Compiled by Earlene Mae Bale). The following transcript of his diary is provided courtesy of Susan Budensiek. My notes are in brackets.
Touch not this book
My Ernest friend
For from the gallows
Will be your end.

If I chance to lose this book
The finder will please for me look
And if he returns the same to me
His debtor I will surely be
And as much as I can afford
I'll give to him as a reward.

Friday, January 15, 1864

Today. The times seem dull. I have been in camp pretty much all day. The forenoon I went down in town and purchased this book and this is the first insertion in it. The weather is quite cold and cloudy. No rain but looks very much like it.

Saturday, January 16

Today I was detailed to go to the woods after wood. After walking about three miles and chopping about two we got a couple of loads and returned to camp. All night weather beautiful.

Sunday, January 17

Inspection today. The first since the Regls. left. The boys made a pretty good appearance and it passed off quite pleasantly. Weather clear and pleasant.

Monday, January 18

It commenced raining last night and today is cloudy and a little rainy. We dug three ditches to drain our streets.

Tuesday, January 19

The wind has changed into the north west and it froze quite hard _____ with a little flurry of snow. We are out of wood and it is quite cold. The boys have gone after some. Then the weather will moderate.

Wednesday, January 20

Today I have been running around to one place and another. Amongst the Wisconsin conscripts I found an old acquaintance, Art Reed, the hatter of Beaver Dam. He has come down to hard bread and sowbelly. Weather beautiful.

Thursday, January 21

On guard today over prisoners at headquarters. The first time since the regulars left. Weather clear and pleasant. Nothing of importance transpired.

Friday, January 22

Came off guard this morning feeling pretty well. The weather still continues beautiful. Everything quiet in front. The first division moved to the front yesterday to be closer to wood.

Saturday, January 23

Today was spent in different ways. Some of the time writing, some loading forage at the depot and some studying the history of the four kings. And so our weather continues pleasant.

Sunday, January 24

Just came off inspection. Everything looks dull but the weather is beautiful.

Monday, January 25

In camp all day. Nothing of importance transpired during the day. Weather still continues beautiful.

Tuesday, January 26

On fatigue today loading forage at the depot. Still the weather is beautiful.

Wednesday, January 27

On guard today. Post No. 5 at the woodpile at headquarters. Everything goes on quietly.

Thursday, January 28

Came off guard this morning feeling pretty well, not much fatigued. Weather is almost like summer. Rumors of moving are circulating through the camp.

Friday, January 29

Spent today playing ball, pitching anvils and everything to amuse myself at.

Saturday, January 30

Spent the forenoon playing ball and visiting some of my friends in the Fifteenth (Ohio?) and the afternoon visiting the 1st Wis., 10th Wis., 19th Ill and 10th Regular Band. Rained in the afternoon.

Sunday, January 31

On guard today at a citizens house. Pretty good place to stand and guard. It rained a little yesterday but has cleared up and is quite pleasant out again today.

Monday, February 1

Today was spent in writing and playing ball. The weather is beautiful. A slight fall of rain but this morning it drained off and the day was beautiful.

Tuesday, February 2

Detailed this morning to go and get bread for the company. Came back all right and was excused from duty all the rest of the day. The wind blows quite hard from the northwest and it is getting quite cold.

Wednesday, February 3

Still the weather continues firm. I stood first four hours today for one of the boys.

Thursday, February 4

On guard today. Post at rear of headquarters. The day was fine but a light fall of snow at night. Received news from the regulars today. They arrived at St. Paul the 24th of Jan.

Friday, February 5

Relieved from guard. As usual nothing of importance transpired. Everything quiet and weather clear but windy.

Saturday, February 6

On fatigue today at the ordinance dept. handling ammunition. Weather cloudy with a little rain. Everything quiet. Received news from Knoxville.

Sunday, February 7

Waiting for inspection. Last night the depot caught fire and was wholly consumed with a considerable quartermaster in stores.

Monday, February 8

Played a fine game of ball today. Weather beautiful.

Tuesday, February 9

On guard today at the house on the hill. Relieved from this duty for good. Weather clear and pleasant.

Wednesday, February 10

On fatigue duty today loading forage. Weather clear and pleasant.

Thursday, February 11

Rumor in camp that the Div is under marching orders. But we have not received the ______. Weather beautiful.

Friday, February 12

Detailed last night at dark to guard quartermasters stores at the corps field quarters. Came to camp this morning but expect to go back tonight. Weather still beautiful.

Saturday, February 13

Still on guard. Everything goes off pleasantly but I did not get much sleep last night and I feel rather peevish today. Weather very beautiful.

Sunday, February 14

I awoke this morning finding it raining a little. Still we are on guard at the post 2nd quartermaster stores. Last night about seven and five more deserters from the Rebs came in.

Monday, February 15

Got off this morning and found it raining quite hard. Rained all the forenoon. Nothing to do today.

Tuesday, February 16

Detailed to go after wood. After chopping, pushing, pulling and lifting for about a half a day and walking another half we arrived at camp with two loads of wood. Weather clear but cold and windy.

Wednesday, February 17

Howling about all day with the toothache. Sleepless nights peevish as hell. Weather clear but cold.

Thursday, February 18

Still howling around with the toothache. Weather clear and cold. Wind northward.

Friday, February 19

Slept pretty well last night but today my tooth goes out occassionally with soreness. Weather still clear and cold. Wind northward.

Saturday, February 20

Went down in town to get my tooth pulled but it has ever an effect by going the tooth stopped aching. Did not have it done. Weather clear and pleasant.

Sunday, February 21

Today I received three letters from home and spent the most of my time in answering them. Weather still clear and pleasant.

Monday, February 22

On detail for wood. Today the Division marched to the front on reconnaissance.

Tuesday, February 23

On guard today posted at no. o near front of the General's quarter. Received reports today of Gen. Sherman's forces gathering. 2,000 from his Mississippi reserves. Weather still continues beautiful.

Wednesday, February 24

Relieved from guard this morning. As usual everything alright. Weather beautiful.

Thursday, February 25

Skylarking around today in every direction to find something to busy myself about but failed to do so. Weather still beautiful.

Friday, February 26

Today some of the wounded of our division came in reporting our forces within a mile of Dalton and advancing. Gen. Baird reported wounded. Also Capt. Johnson of Baird's staff.

Saturday, February 27

Received order at 8 pm to march at 7 in the am for Ringgold [Georgia].

Sunday, February 28

Reveille at 5 this morning and getting breakfast to march at seven. Halted at 10 o'clock. Had a pretty rough tromp. Arrived at R at five pm footsore, tired and hungry. Looks like rain.

Monday, February 29

Ringgold today. It rains a little, just enough to make it nasty. We have been occupied cleaning up the general's quarters. Everything quiet today.

Tuesday, March 1

Rained hard all day. We have taken up our quarters in an old deserted building. My quarters are in the loft. Last night was so cold we did not sleep much. A flag of truce went out yesterday and one came in today. Rebs at Tunnel Hill [Georgia].

Wednesday, March 2

Spent the day at various occupations. On fatigue in the forenoon went on the top of Taylor's Ridge and cooked my various meals and about four o'clock was detailed for guard and put on over prisoners. Weather clear and cold.

Thursday, March 3

Relieved from guard at 8 am. The prisoners that I was guarding were some of our soldiers put under guard for various offences and seven Rebs, five deserters and two prisoners of war. Weather clear and pleasant.

Friday, March 4

Spent the time today at almost everything. Stamping around part of the time, playing cards part of the time and reading letters the rest. Roosted again in the loft at this old house. Weather clear at times. Some of the time looks like rain.

Saturday, March 5

Today I have been at my quarters all day. Spent a part of the time writing letters to my friends. Preparations were made last night to evacuate at a moments notice. Company was prepared to be hurried. Weather clear and pleasant.

Sunday, March 6

On guard today. Posted first at a citizens house but was relieved soon and put over prisoners. Had quite a pleasant time for guard. One Reb came in today. One of the 4th Tenn. Cavalry. Weather clear and pleasant.

Monday, March 7

Relieved from guard at the usual time. Spent the forenoon visiting my friend Bible of the 38th Ohio, who has just returned from home as a sergeant and the afternoon at writing. Weather cloudy and rains a little.

Tuesday, March 8

Mustered today and received two months pay. I received a letter from home informing me of the whereabouts of my sister who I had not heard from before for 8 years and a half. Went to a negro show in the evening. Weather clear and pleasant. Rained and a few hail stones fell last night.

Wednesday, March 9

In camp all day. Today a little skirmishing in front. Although it did not amount to much. It clouded up past night and began to rain a little.

Thursday, March 10

In camp all day today. Everything quiet. A flag of truce came in but I could not find out what it was for. We had a heavy shower last night. The skys are clear and beautiful. The peach trees are in blossom. Everything looks like summer.

Friday, March 11

Still we are quietly situated in Ringgold. The Rebs do not trouble us much and we laugh the time away as best a soldier can. Weather clear and beautiful.

Saturday, March 12

Traveling around today to see what I could see. In my travels I visited the place where the boys play chuck and there was a crowd of some fifty as a hundred boys and every game you could think of was introduced there.

Sunday, March 13

As today is Sunday I spent the day on camp. Nothing is going on and it is rather dull. Weather clear and pleasant.

Monday, March 14

[Note: this entry was written in a personal form of shorthand and not transcribed.]

Tuesday, March 15

On guard today. Posted at the old frame church and not relieved for twenty-four hours only to get my meals. The minstrils performed in the church so the time passed pleasantly buth the later part of the night I was alone. Weather cold and windy.

Wednesday, March 16

Relieved from my lonesome post at 8 o'clock. Came to camp and went to work to put up a chimney and now we have a fire place in our shelter and it is quite comfortable. The weather is cold and windy.

Thursday, March 17

In camp all day today. Had a fine game of ball this afternoon. Some six or seven Rebs were brought in from the front. Weather clear and pleasant.

Friday, March 18

In camp all day today. It is getting so lonesome here I do not know hardly what to do. Had a quiet and interesting game of checkers this evening but got beat. Weather clear and pleasant.

Saturday, March 19

In camp all day today. We were startled past evening by the shrill whistle of the locomotive whistle and looking down the road we saw the iron horse not more than a half a mile distant and today they are quite loud. Weather clear and pleasant.

Sunday, March 20

Today is Sunday and it is a beautiful day, and I have nothing to do but sit in my trunks and while away the time the best I can. Hear last night from the Right. They are in Nashville [Tennessee].

Monday, March 21

On fatigue this morning unloading forage. It is a cold, cloudy day and looks like snow. Everything quiet. Got three letters today and there was a chance to improve some of my leisure time.

Tuesday, March 22

Arose this morning as usual and found the ground covered with snow. It had fallen during the night six inches deep and the boys are having a fine time snowballing. I have yet the cursed toothache and dare not get wet or I would have a hand in.

Wednesday, March 23

Rose this morning with the hardest toothache I ever had. I gatted around with it as long as I could stand it then went and had a couple of my teeth extracted and now I feel alright again. The snow disappeared very fast today. The sun shines clear and warm.

Thursday, March 24

Feel a little better this morning. My jaw is a little sore, but the tooth is quiet. The snow pretty much all disappeared today but this evening it looks like a storm again. Got a letter from Minn. today and answered it from M.

Friday, March 25

A little more snow fell last night. The ground was again covered this morning and it commenced raining a little. This evening the snow has all disappeared but it is still raining. Our Right is on their way here from Nashville marching through.

Saturday, March 26

I have just three months to serve from today. The weather is coming off beautiful. I think we will have summer now. The bummers came up today with some more goats. I was detailed to go after bread. Conveyance for bread a wheelbarrow and the road muddy. Wheeled it thou a quarter of a mile.

Sunday, March 27

Have been a little under the weather for several days and today I feel quite sick. Went to the 2nd Brigade Hospital and got some medicine. It was in powders to be taken three hours apart and I was not to eat anything for 20 hours. Weather clear and warm.

Monday, March 28

Arose this morning feeling a little better and found the wind blowing quite a gale and it kept it up all day with a little snow.

Tuesday, March 29

On guard today just at the guard house. The morning was clear and warm but around nine o'clock it became foggy and then clouded up and turned cold. The afternoon was quite cold. We had a hard storm last night. Everything is quiet along the line.

Wednesday, March 30

Nothing to do today. Got a letter from my brother in the first Wisconsin cavalry with photo enclosed. Today is quite a beautiful day. It is coming off quite pleasantly. Everything quiet. Heard that some of the Right arrived in camp today.

Thursday, March 31

One of the boys arrived today from the right. They are still plodding along from Norfolk. Had a fine game of ball and went to the nigger show in the evening. Very fine places for amusement here. Weather quite pleasant. Looks some like rain.

Friday, April 1

As today is the first of April and all jokes and conspiracy free, we were studying all the while to see what we could do to amuse ourselves. Nothing did occur but placing of all pocket books and fine cut tobacco in the soap. Weather clear with little rain.

Saturday, April 2

Several of the veterans of our Right returned today. The weather is beautiful and everything is quiet. A fine game of ball to pass the afternoon away.

Sunday, April 3

Nothing going on today. I got two letters from home and answered them. Weather clear. The sun shown warm and nice till near night when it clouded up and had every appearance of rain.

Monday, April 4

Got up this morning and found it raining. Commenced about dark last night and has been cloudy and raining by spells all day. In the evening I went to the Ethiopian Minstrals. Had rather a poor evenings entertainment.

Tuesday, April 5

Quite a fine day today. Had a fine game of ball and in the evening went to the Boulten Minstrels performance. Not very good entertainment.

Wednesday, April 6

On guard today just at the depot. Taken off at night and did not have to be outside all night. Received two letters and answered them.

Thursday, April 7

Relieved from guard this morning at the usual time. Grand review today. General Thomas, General Hooker, General Smith, Bramore Palmer here today.

Friday, April 8

Got up this morning and found it raining. It was wet and cloudy all day. Went to the show at nght. Time passed off pleasantly. Everything quiet.

Saturday, April 9

Col. George came in today and we were ordered outside the pickets with three corps of the 9th Ohio to get bread for the veterans. Went out far enough to see some Rebs. Got our bread and returned to camp all right. Weather clear and pleasant.

Sunday, April 10

The regiment came in today. Great excitement. We expect to join them soon. I went out to the picket line to see them as they came in. They looked quite natural. Weather quite cool and windy.

Monday, April 11

Roaming around today, visiting with the boys, playing ball and reading. Weather clear and pleasant.

Tuesday, April 12

Great excitement today. Pulling up stakes and moving to the Right. Some of the shantys might be seen moving down whole, propelled by five or six sturdy soldiers. Wet and rainy. Bad time for moving.

Wednesday, April 13

Drilling for the first time today. Just got my tent fixed up and feel myself at home again. Weather clear and pleasant.

Thursday, April 14

On picket today once and reserve. Had a good time. Rebs were quiet. Did not trouble us any. Cloudy and looks like rain.

Friday, April 15

Came off picket this morning feeling first rate. Slept good all night. Did not have to stand post at all. The band came out and escorted the Right into camp. Had a fine game of ball. Weather clear and cold.

Saturday, April 16

In camp all day. Had quite an interesting game of ball today. Received two letters and detailed for guard tomorrow. Everything quiet. Weather clear and cold.

Sunday, April 17

On guard today. Post at the guard house. The first guard for three months in the Regiment. It rained a very little but not enough to make it wet and bad.

Monday, April 18

Relieve from guard this morning as usual and, of course, it exempts me from drill and I have a part of the day to myself. At three o'clock we had a Brigade inspection. Your humble servant was, of course included. Weather clear and cold.

Tuesday, April 19

Your humble servant is on fatigue today cleaning up the streets, handling wood etc. anyway it excused me from drill so I will get along well enough. The weather is blustering and cold.

Wednesday, April 20

The Right is on picket today and your humble servant on post as one of the high knobs. Thus I gracefully decorate the face of this country. The smoke of the Rebel camp is plainly visible but they are quiet. Weather clear and pleasant.

Thursday, April 21

Relieved from picket this morning at the usual hour. Rebs were quiet. Did not trouble us any. The Col. had us on battalion drill at two o'clock and trotted us around about an hour and a half. Weather cloudy and sprinkling rain.

Friday, April 22

Battalion drill in the forenoon and Brigade drill in the afternoon. The first Brigade drill I have been on since we left Tennessee. Weather clear and warm.

Saturday, April 23

The Rebs killed some of our pickets this morning. Company drill this forenoon and Battalion drill in the afternoon. I was excused to make some bread and you might have seen your humble servant in the flour up to his elbows and the boys proclaimed my biscuits excellent. Weather clear ant hot. Clouded up past night.

Sunday, April 24

As today is Sunday we do not drill. Your humble servant is in camp studying geography a little and reading a little. At three o'clock there was church between our right and the 75th Ind. Found it rainy this morning but it cleared off and is pleasant.

Monday, April 25

Drilling today. This morning we had only twelve men in our company to drill but the Col. trotted them out and drilled in our rank Battalion drill. The rest were on picket. Afternoon the same drill but more men for some came in off picket. Weather clear and pleasant.

Tuesday, April 26

On picket today and on reserve. At dark the detachment from our Right went out through the pickets and lay in wait for the Rebels, but they did not come and we had only labor for our pains. Weather clear and pleasant.

Wednesday, April 27

Came back to the reserve this morning at daylight and all was fully relieved at the usual hour. Came into camp. Rested till afternoon and then had drill. ________________. Weather clear and hot.

Thursday, April 28

Did not drill this forenoon. Something will happen I know in the afternoon. We had skirmish drill. It went off first rate. Weather clear and hot.

Friday, April 29

On picket today again. The Right moved to the front this morning at three o'clock to surprise some of Kilpatrick's cavalry. Had quite a skirmish with the Rebs. Five of the Rebels were killed and there were five or six wounded.

Saturday, April 30

Feeling very unwell last night. I got permission to come to camp early this morning and have been lying on my back all day. It rained quite hard the later part of the night and today.

Sunday, May 1

On sick report yet but feel a little better today. Everything is quiet along the line. The Right mustered today. Weather clear and pleasant after the nights rain.

Monday, May 2

Reconnaisance was made in force this morning. Our forces going out as far as Tunnel Hill. Two of our men were wounded. Lot of the Rebels unknown. Weather cloudy and windy with showers of rain.

Tuesday, May 3

The first and second divisions came here this morning and in the afternoon I went over to see some of my friends in the 1st Division. Our Corp is all here now. Weather clear and pleasant.

Wednesday, May 4

Did not drill any this forenoon but made up for it in the afternoon. For a past time I went to the show last night. Weather clear and pleasant.

Thursday, May 5

Did not drill any today. Something is going to happen I feel. Our division went to the front today and camped. The weather is clear and beautiful. All quiet in front.

Friday, May 6

On picket this morning again. About five o'clock in the afternoon our baggage was brought to us and we were told to be ready to march tomorrow morning. Weather clear and pleasant.

Saturday, May 7

Relieved from picket this morning and met the Right about two miles from camp on the road to Tunnel Hill. Skirmishing commenced this morning at daylight and was kept up by shells all day. Arrived at Tunnel Hill about two pm. Weather clear and hot.

Sunday, May 8

As today is Sunday we do not make any attack so we were quiet. About four o'clock they began pulling in our lines when caught in sharp engagement ______ our casualties not known. We are lying in line of battle. Weather clear and pleasant.

Monday, May 9

Changed our position a little today. Quite heavy fighting this morning on the right. Supposed to be Hooker getting Josis. Past night we attacked them in the gap and firing was right up till long after dark. Weather clear and pleasant.

Tuesday, May 10

Lying still today in front of the gap at Buzzard Roost. Skirmishing continues continually without any great casualties. It is now reported that McPherson is in the Rebels camp and their retreat is cut off. Weather cloudy with little rain.

Wednesday, May 11

Still lying in front of this gap. This evening I had the pleasure of seeing a splendid artillery drill and I think we came off a little the best. It commenced about five o'clock and lasted until dark. Orders to march tomorrow at 4 am. Cloudy and rainy.

Thursday, May 12

On the march this morning at four o'clock. Moving in the right. Marched till about eight o'clock. Turned out to be twenty miles. Here we came up with the 15th, 16th, 17th and 20th corps. Ours making five corps and two more operating on the right making seven in all. Weather clear and cold.

Friday, May 13

Did not move till about one o'clock. Heard heavy firing on our left all the forenoon. Reported that the fourth corps were in Dalton at noon today. We are in the rear of them. Cannonading commenced about three o'clock and was right up till dark. Weather clear and pleasant.

Saturday, May 14

Advanced today to the Rebel ranks and right up a heavy cannonading all day. Moved a little faster to the left at dark and commenced fortifying in the face of the Rebel works. Our Right has not been engaged yet. Weather clear and pleasant.

Sunday, May 15

It being Sunday today we did not make much of a demonstration on their works but lay back tossing shells and kept them in great suspense. At dark we moved down to the front line and waited to have them make the attack. About midnight they did make a sortee but were immediately dispersed. Weather clear and pleasant.

Monday, May 16

I was in line of battle last night all night and throwing up breastwork. About twelve o'clock the Rebels made a sortee in our works and were repulsed and immediately commenced evacuating their work upon which we entered the town of Resaca [Georgia]. The Rebels are in full retreat.

Tuesday, May 17

Crossed the Coostnaula (sp?) River this morning at daylight. Our advance was up with the rear of the Rebs and skirmishing with them all day. Past night they made quite a desperate stand and cut our men up badly. Weather cloudy with considerable rain.

One Division of the 4th corps came up with the rear of the Rebs this morning and skirmishing with them all day. Past night they made a stand to protect their train and made quite a sharp little fight. We passed through Calhoun about three o'clock. It is a very pretty little place of some two or three hundred inhabitants and the County seat of Gordon County.

Wednesday, May 18

The Rebs skedaddled again last night and this morning we resumed the march without any opposition. Made the town of Adairsville [Georgia] about noon. Camped five miles from there on the Atlanta road. Weather clear and hot. Rumored that Richmond is captured but not credited.

Thursday, May 19

Came on to the Rebel force about noon and a part of our force was engaged nearly all the rest of the day. Casualties not known. Passed through Kingston [Georgia] at noon. Our Div. still in reserve. Camped for the night on the flank. Weather clear and pleasant.

Friday, May 20

Did not march today. A little cannonading was made in the afternoon, but the Rebs have skedaddled. At dark I was detailed for picket and stationed where we would sure see a Reb for six miles. Weather clear and pleasant.

Saturday, May 21

Spent today on picket. My brother [Rufus L. Clason] came to see me past afternoon. I was relieved so I went to camp with him to the first Wis. country. The enemy is lying still. Weather clear and pleasant.

Sunday, May 22

I lodged last night with my brother in the first Wisconsin cavalry. Returned to camp about two o'clock and found the boys preparing for a long march. Drawing 20 days rations and sending unnecessary luggage to the rear. Weather continues clear and hot.

Monday, May 23

Packed our supplies this morning and nine o'clock found us again on the march, and about two o'clock we forded the Etowa River. It is quite a large stream and the way the boys stumbled around in the water would make you laugh. The weather is very hot today. Camped about six miles from the river on the south bank.

Tuesday, May 24

Laying over today for our train to come up. Two brigades of our division are here. The train is expected tomorrow night. Past night a shower came up and it rained quite hard. Gave the boys a good soaking.

Wednesday, May 25

Still lying over waiting for that train. It rained quite hard last night. Heavy cannonading has been heard in front all afternoon. Ordered to march at sunrise in the morning.

Thursday, May 26

Reveille this morning at four o'clock but I failed to hear it. Therefore, was late with my breakfast. Just had time to eat it when the assembly blew and we had to fall in and off we went. Camped about ten miles farther toward Atlanta. Weather clear and pleasant.

Friday, May 27

Moved camp about one o'clock today. About a mile to yet a better place. Our trains are parked close by us and we have to move according to them. If they are moved to the front we also move. Yesterday we crossed a part of Altoona. Weather clear and pleasant.

Saturday, May 28

Moved today at one o'clock about three miles nearer the line of battle. Heavy fighting has been going on all day. Reported that the Rebs were forced from their position. Got some crud today. Weather clear and pleasant.

Sunday, May 29

On sick report today. Ordered to pull camp and march to the rear. Where they are going is more than I know. I was conveyed in an ambulance and stayed at brigade hospital. Weather still clear and hot.

Monday, May 30

Still at Brigade hospital. Some of the sick were sent off past evening to Kingston [Georgia]. I do not go. The Right is still lying here. By the preparations, they will be sent to the front soon. Weather clear and hot.

Tuesday, May 31

Returned to the Right this morning but do not feel able to do duty yet. Found the boys feeling well. Great reports from the front. We can hear the continual sounds of canon but as we are protecting the trains we do not know what is going on. Weather still continues clear and hot.

Wednesday, June 1

The boys have been having great times here prospecting for gold and did find some but we received orders to march at one o'clock today and that spoiled their fun. Marched about ten miles to the left where Gen. Thomas's headquarters are. Weather clear and hot.

Thursday, June 2

The Right moved about noon today on to the front and past evening went on to the front lines. I rode in an ammunition wagon and perhaps will stay with it tonight as it looks like rain. It has been raining nearly all the afternoon.

Friday, June 3

Came up on the line this morning with the Right. Feel like myself again. Considerable skirmishing going on. We have erected some heavy breastworks and are lying behind them. With a skirmish line in front acting as sharpshooters. Tried to rain some today.

Saturday, June 4

Expected to be on the skirmish line today but did not reach our company. The boys kept up a continual watch and last night all of us were called out into the ditch three times but I guess the boys were sleepy and were firing to keep awake. Still it keeps raining by spells.

Sunday, June 5

Went on picket this morning at six o'clock. They were very __________ when we went on and kept up continual firing but it died away about eight o'clock and we soon discovered that they were gone. Our front was clear so we were relieved from picket. Past evening tried to rain to the north but finally cleared away and we had a fine day.

Monday, June 6

Strike tents sounded about seven o'clock and off we started. We have marched towards every point of the compass today and after dark camped about two miles from Big Shanty. The Rebels are crossing the Chattahoochee River. Weather changeable and hot.

Tuesday, June 7

Moved into position today and fixed up camp, policed the grounds, etc. The supposition is that we will stay here three or four days. Reported that Lee is sending reinforcements to Johnston but not credited. The Rebs are reported to be all across the Chattahoochee River. Weather still cloudy by spells with little rain.

Wednesday, June 8

Lying in camp today. I had a great time cleaning myself up. I borrowed a camp kettle, went to the creek, divested myself of my clothing, plunged in, washed myself and clothing. Feel a great deal better for so doing. Had inspection at ten am. Still changeable with little rain.

Thursday, June 9

There was a great deal of talking of moving this morning but it played out and here we are yet. I have been trying to sleep the time away but it was too warm. Finally good night wrapped his wings around us and sent us to the land of dreams. Weather clear and pleasant.

Friday, June 10

Struck tents this morning about eight o'clock and moved about three miles in a south and easterly direction. Came up with the rebels and our skirmishers commenced their work. The Rebs were entrenching. Our Right opened up on their work. Sixty Rebs came in.

Saturday, June 11

Made some curious moves today. First we moved about a mile to the left, and lay there till four pm. Then we moved three quarters of a mile to the front. Here we expected to lay till morning but just as we got fixed for the night we received orders to move a mile to the left again and got nearly to our position when the order was countermanded and we finally camped in a brigade shit house. Rained by spells all day.

Sunday, June 12

Today being Sunday we are lying still. Our tents are pitched in the mud knee deep and higher. We have to stand. Raining all the time, mud getting deeper. The Rebs are in our immediate front but there has been no hard fighting. It still keeps up raining continually.

Monday, June 13

Still lying in the mud till half past two when we moved upon the ridge a little to the right. Pitched our tents in soggy order. Ditched them and fixed our bed and at dark got orders to move at six o'clock in the morning. Rained all the forenoon and began to grow cool and stopped.

Tuesday, June 14

This morning we were up early and had our breakfast in time but did not move till noon. Then moved directly to the front. Pretty heavy skirmishing. Some fourteen men fron our brigade were killed or wounded. One from a unit of our Right was severely wounded through the thigh. Weather clearing off some today.

Today our move was to the front. We moved a mile and a half to the front and threw up breastwork. The skirmishing has been quite sharp all along the line. The Rebel servant, General Polk, is reported killed today. Fourteen of our Brigade were wounded. Loss of the Rebels not known. Our lines are now running east and west. The position of our corps is about a mile and a half west of Big Shanty station. We received the mail today while in line of battle and the sharp crack of guns firing and the roar of artillery were almost deafening. The papers of the Right came up today and I expect they will proceed to muster out some of the men soon. Dr. Brown arrived today. He has not been up since the Right went to the front.

Wednesday, June 15

The Rebels are quiet this morning. Nothing done till about four o'clock when we advanced one mile more, crowding the Rebels still further in and erected a new line of works after night. I am detailed for guard tonight and posted over the horses. Weather clear and pleasant. Commander is making out my papers today.

Thursday, June 16

Lying still today. The Rebel works are in our immediate front. Skirmishing going on continually and some of the time being cannonaded. Four or five of our boys were wounded. Today one of them had his leg badly fractured by one of our own shells. Weather clear and pleasant.

Friday, June 17

Advanced our lines again today a half a mile. Threw up a new line of breastwork and are ready for them again. Picket firing is pretty lively today. Fighting on the left was very heavy and also heavy cannonading on the right. Lost Mountain is reported to be in our possession. Clouded up looks very much like rain but has not commenced yet.

This morning our troops are busy forming a new line. The Rebels seem to keep giving back. Our brigade moved out in front of our works and across the flat on to the next ridge, quietly forming in line of battle. Each man's heart beat quick in his manly breast and they were anxious if need be to lay down their lives for their country. When we received the stern order to fix bayonets (by this time the skirmish line firing right lively and every man imagined himself going down through these woods at a charge, bayonets and double quick) but soon we knew our fate for the next order we got was stack arms and rest so down we sat quietly contemplating what might be done. Now the firing became unusually quiet and then almost ceased entirely. I had layed my head against a tree and quietly dropped into a pleasant sleep when I was awakened by the fierce rattle of musketry once more. We sprang to our guard for the word was the Rebs are coming. Took arms. Moved briskly up to the crest of the ridge where there is a gradual slope from our front down. Expecting to see the Rebs come up with their fiend-like yelps as they did at Chickamauga but again we were disappointed and stacked arms. Rushed for old logs, soils and chunks and commenced throwing up a new line of breastwork in about an hour. We set down behind them safe with an occasional Rebel shell come whistling over our heads.

Saturday, June 18

Advanced this morning in the face of the Rebels and erected works within five hundred years of their works and in the cotton field they opened a battery on us which made it pretty warm for a while. Seven of our men were wounded. Quit pouring but still raining hard.

Our work today was a little more in seriousness. Sirus Jones was sent on picket this morning and was killed by a shell from the Rebels. We advance in the face of the enemy and commenced erecting fortifications within five hundred yards of the Rebel work. Their sharpshooter was operating on us with a battery of three guns but the boys stuck to their work. The musket balls and shells whistled past them continually. One shell passed within four feet of my head while I was at work and burst within three feet of one of Co. K completely covering him with mud and sticks but fortunately he escaped with but slight injury. We have lost today our Lieutenant. Killed James Whiting. Wounded F. M. Waxchon of Co. B, Private Rupert of Co. G, Shillafoo of Co. H, Bingham of Co. G, Holliday of Co. J.

Sunday, June 19

Got up this morning and found the Johnys gone and our skirmishers took immediate possession of their works. Moved again after them. They have now taken a stand on Kennesaw Mt [Georgia]. We formed a line in front of it. Killed today, Basbourn of Co. K, wounded L. Weatherford, Co. G. Considerable rain today.

The Rebels left their works last night and retreated to Kennesaw Mountain. A distance of about two miles. We immediately followed them up and formed our lines at the base of the mountain, our skirmishers continually firing at the Rebel works. While we were marching past an old house Sgt. Rutherford of Co. F received a ball from one of the Rebel sharpshooters through the left arm making a pretty serious wound. Private Basborn of Co. K killed on the skirmish line.

Monday, June 20

Throwing up more fortifications today under the Rebel guns planted on Kennesaw Mt. The cannonading is pretty heavy today. I should think there were as many as a thousand shells thrown onto the mountain today. Two men were wounded by stray shots from the line in our Right. Weather cloudy with occasional showers.

This morning the cannonading opened as heavy as I ever saw it with occasional shots returned from the mountain. One of them came into our camp, plowing into one of the tents in Co. D and bursting immediately under one of the men. It burned his pants and socks completely off his legs only bruising one ankle a little and injured one eye. It also burned his legs badly but the injury done him I don't think serious. A stray rifle shot severely wounded Corporal Sons of Co. E while lying asleep in his bed about ten o'clock at night.

Tuesday, June 21

On guard last night. Worked a little more on our works today. I think they will stand a pretty heavy cannonading now. The Rebs are still working very hard on the top of the mountain. There was pretty heavy fighting in the night and it is reported we took one brigade of SC troops. Weather cloudy with occasional showers.

Wednesday, June 22

The Rebs sent their compliments in to us today in the shape of some twelve pound shells. They kept it pretty warm the most of the day but where we are they can not harm us. Past sunset we received orders to move. At dark we struck tents and lay awaiting orders till twelve o'clock. Weather clear and pleasant.

The Rebels opened six or eight guns from the top of Kennesaw bluff this morning and kept up shelling at intervals all day doing some damage to some regiments that were not fortified. We were well protected and they did not do us much harm, but the tug of war came at night. We were ordered to move at dark and we changed our position something like a mile to the right and while we were waiting for some troops to get out of our way the Rebel battery opened again from the bluff, raking our Right line thoroughly. One shell was very effective. It burst in the ranks of Co. F taking off one Private Lavicout's leg then burst. Killed Sgt. Major Wheeler and wounded four more men in same company.

Thursday, June 23

Moved to the Right at twelve. Just as we were getting in position we were visited by a twelve pound shell which exploded in the right of the regiment killing the Sergeant Major and wounding five men. Received order to go home and started about ten o'clock for Big Shanty. Weather clear and pleasant.

Received orders this morning for the non vets to start for home and your humble servant is one of that number. Just as we got ready to start the Rebs opened on us from the bluff and we were exposed to their fire for a half mile but luckily none of the boys were hurt, but there was some pretty tall traveling.

Friday, June 24

Left Big Shanty last night about eight. Orders signed at Kingston at two and laid over till morning. Then came on to Resaca where our engine was ordered back to the front and we have to lay overnight. Cloudy today with little rain.

Saturday, June 25

After cooking our coffee this morning we piled on to some freight cars loaded with wounded and started for Chattahooga. After a tedious side of six hours we arrived in Chattanooga. Passed where the guerrillas had captured two trains and burned them. Went through two tunnels. Weather clear and hot.

Piled on to the top of some freight cars today that were loaded inside with wounded and off we go for Chattanooga, the cars jerking and jolting along enough to kill a well man. I don't see how those poor wounded fellows stand it. Just before we arrived at Dalton we passed the smoking ruins of a train that had been captured by guerillas and burned. It was loaded with forage for the army and the train was yet burning. Arrived at Dalton at half past eight am and lay over here for the regular train to pass us. Dalton is quite a pretty place but like all other southern towns it was completely deserted. Nothing but one or two army stations in the place. A regiment of infantry are stationed here to guard the place. About nine o'clock the long looked for train arrived and passed and off we go again. Two miles and a half from this place we passed the still smoking ruins of four or five houses and a railroad bridge that the same men had burned that burned the train and our men had rebuilt the bridge before the timbers were done burning. It had not delayed the trains more than six or eight hours. The next place of note was Tunnel Hill and the tunnel interested me the most. Each end is beautifully arched with stone and brick and is fourteen hundred feet in length. The train plunged into this holdup of danger and in two or three seconds we were in total darkness. Our eyes filled with smoke and nearly suffocated. Presently we heard a cheer and a gleam of light struck us and the next instant we were in the open air. I looked around and the boys had their handkerchiefs to their eyes and looked as if they had been weeping but a few moments of fresh air dispelled all such looks. So on we come to Ringgold, Graysville and the tunnel through Mission Ridge. This is built on the same principle of the other and is twelve hundred and seventy five feet long. After we came through there it brought a sight of Fast Wood and in we came passing Fast Wood and arrived at Chattanooga.

Tuesday, June 28

Arrived at Stevenson this morning at sunrise and were compelled to lay over there till one o'clock. At length one o'clock came and we were loaded into some cattle cars and off we started for Nashville. Prospect of riding all night again tonight. Weather cloudy and hot.

On the road from Chattanooga to Nashville got as far as Stevenson and had to lay over till two o'clock today. We then got on a train that came directly through. Passed through a tunnel near Dowan station a half mile in length, and arrived in Nashville the morning of 29th and here we are waiting to be paid off.

Wednesday, June 29

Arrived at Nashville this morning at five am and got our luggage at five pm and now we are all ready for home. The boys are getting ready for a long wait. Weather clear and hot.

Thursday, June 30

Proceeded to the depot this morning at seven o'clock. Crowded on board the train for Indianapolis. Arrived there at day light this morning and are lying over for the eleven o'clock train. Weather clear and very hot.

Friday, July 1

Lying over today in Indianapolis waiting for the Chicago train. Arrived here at five am. At eleven and a half the train came along and your humble servant piled himself on board and off we go for Chicago. Arrived there at 8:30 pm.

Saturday, July 2

Left Chicago last night at half past nine o'clock and often being jolted around and trying to sleep. I arrived at Beaver Dam at five o'clock this morning. It seemed like home and I soon met my uncle and went home. Weather clear and pleasant.

Sunday, July 3

Slept in a good bed last night for the first time in about three years. Got up this morning feeling first rate and went to church at ten. Spent the afternoon at Uncle Isaac's. Took supper there and then returned to Uncle Mitchell's.

Monday, July 4

4th of July at home. The first time in four years. The excitement of the day was trotting and running horses but it was rather dry and at night I went to the great wigwam dance and tried to enjoy myself. Weather clear and pleasant.

Tuesday, July 5

Danced last night till daylight this morning. Then went home, got my breakfast and came down to Lowell with my sister. Saw a great many of my friends but the most of them did not know me. It tried to rain this afternoon and evening. We are anxiously looking for it and rain needed very bad.

Main Dodge Co. Page | Dodge Co. Links | Dodge Co. Lookups | Dodge Co. Queries | Dodge Co. Surnames | Township Map | Newspaper Sources | Dodge County Pionier (newspaper) Index | County Map Provided by the Tiger Mapping Service | WIGenWeb page | USGenWeb page

The data contained within this WIGenWeb Dodge County web site is provided FREE of charge. If you link to this page through a service that implies that you will be charged a fee for access to this data, please notify me (Clare Guse). The Dodge County, Wisconsin WIGenWeb site can be linked to directly at WIGenWeb Dodge County, Wisconsin.

Copyright 1998 - 2015 by Clare Guse.
This page was last updated on 13 May 2002.