Historical Gazetteer Index
A LOCAL HISTORY OF
ALL THE TOWNS IN THE
Biographical, Religious and Military.
Ed: Some comments about using Index
The VERMONT HISTORICAL GAZETTEER is a
5 volume set of historical information by Abby Maria Hemenway with Volume
I published in 1867 and Volume V completed in 1891 after her death. More details on the
structure and history of the 5 volume set from the COMBINED
NAME & SUBJECT INDEX.
- Volume I: (1867) History of
Addison, Bennington, Caledonia, Chittenden and Essex county towns.
- Volume II: (1871) Franklin, Grand Isle, Lamoille and
Orange Counties including The Natural History of Chittenden County and Index
to Volume I completed.
- Volume III: (1877) Orleans and
- Volume IV: (1882) the Town of
Swanton, in Franklin County, Groton, in Caledonia County, and the additional
History of The Town of Hubbardton, in Rutland County.
- Volume V: (1891) The Towns of
Windham County with the Histories of Sutton in Caledonia County, and
Bennington in Bennington County.
NAME INDEX ( Pages 1 - 982)
SUBJECT INDEX (pages 983 -1115)
- Part I - v. pt. 1, 1-191
- History of Cumberland County
- The History of Brattleboro
- Part II - v. pt. 2, 1-736
- Dummerston (pages
- Putney, pp. 217-270
- Vernon, pp. 273-336
- Dover, pp. 337-356
- Athens, pp. 357-376
- Brookline, pp. 377-405
- Halifax, pp. 407-422
- Jamaica, pp. 423-439
- Marlboro, pp. 441-453
- Newfane, pp. 455-491
- Rockingham, pp.
- Bellows Falls Village,
- Stratton, pp. 519-527
- Somerset, pp. 522-531
- Townshend, pp.
- Grafton, pp. 502-560
- Westminster, pp. 561-630, on inner margin, also
separately paged 1-76 on outer margin;
- Westminster West, pp. 637-670, on inner margin, also separately paged 77-110
on outer margin;
- Wardsboro, pp. 669-683, on outer margin, as are the following articles:
- Whitingham, pp. 684-724
- Fayetteville (in Newfane), 725-726
(in Newfane), pp. 727-728
- Pondville (in Newfane), pp-729
- Hiram A. Cutting
(biog. sketch), pp. 730-736.
- Part III - v. pt. 3, xxx
- Guilford, v. pt. 3, 3-80;
- Londonderry, v. pt. 3¹, 15-29;
- Windham, v. pt. 3², 5-26;
- Wilmington, v. pt. 3³, 5-26;
- Sutton, v. pt. 34, 5-56;
- Bennington, v. pt. 35, 5-108.
Comments on using the contents:
- The "Introduction" has some good
- The references are all ALPHABETICALLY and NUMERICALLY ordered.
- [ Name/Subject alphabetically ] [ Volume number ] [ Page page number
- There were a lot of superscripts (especially2) and some may
have been mistakenly entered as a digit (not a superscript) making the page/part number too large. Volume
5 references parts may have a SUPERSCRIPT that does not get hoisted.
That means "v. pt. 35, 123" is really "v. pt. 35, 123".
- the "rtf" files are typically 500kb and the "htm" files are