The Drawing Room
This is a very well proportioned room with lead light windows facing onto the verandah and a graceful bay window. The wide polished board floor is covered by a reproduction rug typical of the period. The curtains, light fittings,sofa and chairs are all reproductions. The maroon crinoline gown was hand made to an original pattern by Mrs Christine Ward. The child wears a hand made frock and bonnet dated circa 1880. All other furniture in the room is original.
The Pheyel piano (not seen), c1802, was donated by the Presbyterian Church, Melbourne. On the mantel piece is a working Ansonia steeple clock. The embroidered picture over the mantelpiece was once under glass atop a round table. A fire in 1994 destroyed much of the front of the homestead and the embroidery was all that remained of the table so it was framed and mounted on the wall. The smoke coming out of the chimney is actually scorching from the fire.
The collection of vases and flowered jardiniere are all originals from the nineteenth century. Of particular interest in the lady's face protector. These were placed in front of a lady as she sat sewing by the fire, to protect her cherished peaches and cream complexion. The miniature face protector on the mantelpiece was made as a sampler.
Not seen in this photograph is a sewing table in the corner which was donated by Ruth Kalgee, a former Frankston librarian. The table, c1850, was brought to Australia when Ruth and her aunt fled Nazi Germany in 1938. The table opens up to reveal an interior laid with wood mosiac. The lamp on the top of the table is an example of the 1850s metal work, with a brass base and nickel stem. It was donated by Mrs Alter Bell. Two silk tapestries (also not seen in this photograph) on the right of the doorway belonged to Lord Somerville, who brought them to Australia during the nineteenth century.
This room would have been used for entertaining and it evokes the tranquil, elegant lifestyle of the well-to-do pioneers who lived at Ballam Park.