XX indexVermont  





      HARTLAND lies in the center of the eastern range of townships, in lat. 43° 34' and long. 4° 34', bounded north by Hartford, east by Connecticut river, which separates it from Plainfield, N. H., south by Windsor and West Windsor, and west by Woodstock. It contains an area of 25,350 acres, originally granted by New Hampshire to Samuel Hunt and his associates, in seventy-one shares, by the name of Hertford, July 1o, J761. On the 23d of July, 1766, however, the territory was re-chartered to Oliver Willard and his associates, by New York. The name of Hertford was retained until June 15, 1782, when it was changed to the one it now bears, by the following act of the legislature: 

“Whereas, The town of Hertford lies contiguous to the Township of Hartford, which makes it difficult for strangers to distinguish which of said towns may be meant when either is spoken; and many other inconveniences do attend the having two towns so near of one name in the State; which to remove: Be it enacted by the Representatives of the Freemen of the State of Vermont, in General Assembly met, and by the authority of the same, That the Township of land and incorporate Body, heretofore known by he name of Hertford, shall be hereafter called and known by the name of Hartland."
      The surface of the town is diversified with hills and valleys, most of which are only great enough in extent to form a pleasing landscape picture without retarding cultivation of the soil, which is of a rich, arable quality, producing large crops of grain and grass with comparatively little labor. The timber is that common to most of the towns in this vicinity. The territory is well watered by numerous streams, the principal of which are Quechee river, flowing through the northeastern part, and Lull brook, flowing through the southern portion of the township, emptying into Connecticut river. Many excellent mill-sites are afforded, some of which are utilized. In the extreme western part of the town the rocks entering into the geological structure of the territory are of the calciferous mica schist formation. This range is very narrow in extent, however, when there comes a large range of gneiss, extending quite to the center of the township, north and south; from this point to the Connecticut the rocks are mostly calciferous schist again, except a small bed of clay slate and a bed of talcose schist in the northeastern corner. No minerals of importance have ever been found.

      In 1880 Hartland had a population of 1,604, and in 1882 was divided into sixteen school districts and contained fifteen common schools, employing six male and nineteen female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary of $2,069.65. There were 391 pupils attending common schools, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st, was $2,530.20, with D. F. RUGG, superintendent.

      HARTLAND, a post village, contains two churches, (Congregational and Methodist), one hotel, two stores, a tin shop, harness shop, blacksmith shop, tailor shop, etc., and about thirty dwellings. It is located on Lull brook, nearly a mile from Connecticut river and about the same distance from the south line of the town. The brook affords several good water-powers, and on it, so near as to almost be said to be a part of the village, are a blanket factory, grist-mill, saw-mill, and two sash and blind factories. The C. V. R. R. station is about five-eighths of a mile from the village, where is located the depot and hotel.

      HARTLAND FOUR CORNERS is a post village located about a mile and a quarter northwest of Hartland village. It has one church (Universalist), a general store, blacksmith and carriage shop, and about seventeen dwellings.

      NORTH HARTLAND is a post village located in the northeastern part of the town, on Quechee river. It has one church (Congregational), two stores, woolen-mill, saw-mill, and about twenty-five dwellings. The railroad station of North Hartland is about a quarter of a mile distant.

      J. E. ASHWORTH's blanket factory, formerly the Sturtevant woolen-mills, located on road 26, is operated by water-power, has five looms, one set of carriages and jacks, and all necessary machinery for manufacturing horse and army blankets. Mr. ASHWORTH employs twelve men and manufactures 10,000 blankets per annum.

      A. A. MARTIN's sash and blind factory, located on road 62, gives employment to fifteen men, and manufactured during the past year (1882), 500,000 feet of lumber into sash, blinds, etc.

      MARTIN & STICKNEY's sash and blind manufactory, located at Hartland village, does a large amount of business in the manufacture of blinds, sash, house finishings, brackets, moldings, etc.

      J. F. LYMAN's saw and shingle-mill, located on road 62, is operated by water-power and manufactures 400,000 feet of lumber, 500,000 shingles, and 15,000 lath per annum.

      F. GILBERT's foundry, located on road 56, was established by DARLING & GILBERT in 1862. Mr. DARLING retired in 1866, since which time the business has been conducted by Mr. GILBERT. He employs three men and uses seventy-five tons of iron annually.

      The Ottaquechee Woolen Mills, V. J. BRENNAN, superintendent, located at North Hartland, on the Quechee river, are operated by water-power, have 1,680 spindles, sixty looms, and employs seventy-five hands.

      The first settlement in Hartland was made in May, 1763, by Timothy LULL, who had previously been living at Dummerston. Having concluded to settle in Hertford, as it was then called, he purchased a log canoe, and taking with him his family, which consisted of a wife and four children, and such furniture as they needed, paddled up Connecticut river. Arriving at the mouth of a stream just north of the southern line of the town, he anchored his boat and landed his family. Taking then a junk bottle, he broke it in the presence of his wife and children, and named the stream Lull brook-the name by which it has ever since been known. Proceeding up the brook about a mile, he came to a deserted log hut, situated upon the farm now owned by E. M. GOODWIN. Here he commenced a settlement. For many years he suffered privations and hardships, “but possessing a strong constitution and a vigorous mind, he overcame all obstacles, accumulated a handsome property, lived respected, and died at the age of eighty-one years, generally lamented." He reared a family of nine children, of whom Timothy was the first male child born in the town. This birth occurred in December, 1764, on which occasion the doctress was drawn on the ice twenty-three miles, from Charlestown, N. H., on a hand-sled. Joab, son of Timothy, married Ruth BURLINGAME, of Weathersfield, and had eight children, six of whom are now living. Chauncey, son of Joab, married Laura PRATT, of Hartland, and had two children, Alfonso and Laura A., both of whom are living, the former in Hartland and the latter, Mrs. Laura A. STEVENS, in Rutland.

      Other settlers soon followed Mr. LULL, mostly emigrants from Massachusetts and Connecticut, so that two years later, in 1765, the town had thirty inhabitants. Six years later, when the census of old Cumberland county was taken, in 1771, the returns show the town to have had within its limits forty-eight males under the age of sixteen, thirty-one between the ages of sixteen and sixty, one over sixty, thirty-five females under sixteen, and twenty-nine (one a negress) above sixteen, making a total population of 144 souls. In 1791, according to the census of that year, the population had increased to 1,652, making Hartland the most populous town in the county, containing nearly fifty inhabitants more than it does to-day.

      The town was organized and the first town meeting held, March 11, 1767, though the records do not state where it was held. The following list of officers were elected: Oliver WILLARD, Esq., moderator and supervisor; Capt. Zadock WRIGHT and Lieut. Joel MATTHEWS, assessors; Timothy LULL, treasurer; Ensign TAINTOR and Lieut. Joel MATTHEWS, overseers of highways; Oliver WILLARD and James HARWOOD, overseers of the poor; Nathan CALL, collector; and Capt. WRIGHT, Timothy LULL, Ebenezer CALL and Joel MATTHEWS, constables. According to the records no clerk was chosen until 1769, when Oliver WILLARD was elected to the office. The first justices appointed were Elias WELD and Thomas COTTON, in 1786. William GALLUP was the first representative, in 1778.

      Though the settlement of the town seems to have moved along so smoothly, many privations had to be borne, much hard work had to be patiently performed, and the strictest economy maintained and the coarsest fare thankfully received. Notwithstanding all this, however, many happy hours were passed around the old fireside, at the "bee," or at the back-woods party. On the other hand, scenes of violence were not infrequent, for they seem to be necessary concomitants of a new settlement, let the settlement be where it will. One instance of the latter description may be mentioned. In 1782, a man by the name of John Billings was found guilty of some contemptible act and was punished therefore in such a manner as to cause considerable physical suffering and was humiliating in the extreme. This punishment, however, does not seem to have been thought sufficiently severe by the majority of the people, for on the night of May 30th, a party of men composed of Jedediah LEAVINS, Phineas KILLAM, James WILLIAMS, Timothy LULL, Jr., Aden WILLIAMS, Timothy BANISTER, Simeon WILLIAMS, Joab BELDEN and William MILLER, with Amos ROBINSON and Moses MORSE of Windsor, "with force and arms, unlawfully, riotously, and routously" assembled and assaulted the unfortunate citizen. As was more clearly set forth in the presentment of the grand jury, they "did beat, wound, and ill-treat" him by "placing him upon an old horse without a saddle, tying his feet under the belly of said horse, and hanging to his feet a heavy weight, and in that situation causing him to ride to a considerable distance, by which he suffered great pain and inconvenience."

      This particular instance of lawlessness seems to have been brought about by a feeling of dislike of the delay which usually accompanied the execution of the law. These offenders against good order were taught, however, that there was majesty in the law; for they were prosecuted by Mr. BILLINGS and were punished by pecuniary mulcts and were compelled to bear the costs of the prosecution.

      In 1786, another cause for riotous behavior came up, the main points being briefly as follows: During the summer of that year, "the sufferings of the people becoming severe, and their complaints loud, on account of the extreme scarcity of money, Governor Chittenden, in the month of August, published an address to the inhabitants of the State, which was evidently dictated by a paternal regard for their welfare and happiness." In this carefully considered paper, he earnestly exhorted his fellow-citizens to be industrious and economical; to avoid, as much as possible, the purchase of foreign productions; and to devote their attention to the raising of flax and wool and the various articles necessary for food and clothing, etc. Most of the people were inclined to suffer inconvenience rather than disturb the peace of the State, ceased to complain, and endeavored to quiet the murmurings of their neighbors. Others, however, who owed debts and could not obtain money to pay them, determined “to prevent the sitting of the courts in which judgments and executions might be obtained against them.” By the terms of the statute, a session of the court of common pleas for the county of Windsor was appointed to be held at Windsor on Tuesday, the 21st of October. On the morning of that day, a mob of about thirty armed men, from Hartland and Barnard, under the command of Robert MORRISON, a Hartland blacksmith, and Benjamin STEBBINS, a Barnard farmer, assembled near the courthouse at Windsor, a little after sunrise. Though no movements to that effect were made, yet their obvious design was to hinder the sitting of the court. Stephen JACOB, the State's attorney, and Benjamin WAIT, the high sheriff, waited on the malcontents, read them the riot act and several other acts relative to such assemblages, ordering them to disperse, which they finally did.

      On Tuesday, the 14th of November, a term of the supreme court was held at Windsor, when warrants were issued for the arrest of the rioters, and MORRISON and several of his men were taken and placed in confinement. Complaints were then exhibited against them by Stephen JACOB, in which it was charged that they, on the 31st of October; "with guns, bayonets, swords, clubs, drums, fifes, and other warlike instruments, unlawfully, and tumultuously did assemble and gather themselves together, to disturb and break the peace of the State;” and that being thus assembled, they "did parade themselves in the front of the court-house in said Windsor in martial array, and with fixed bayonets did resist, obstruct, and hinder," the sheriff of the county and of the county court "from entering the said court-house, and there did impede from opening and holding the said court, then and there bylaw to be opened and holden." To these charges MORRISON pleaded guilty and threw himself upon the mercy of the court. The court sentenced him to suffer one month's imprisonment; to procure bonds of £100 for his good behavior for two years; to pay a fine of £10, and to bear the costs of the prosecution. The punishment of the other offenders, who either pleaded guilty or were found guilty, was proportioned to the offences they had committed.

      Soon after the result of the trial had been announced, about fifty of the insurgents, most of whom resided in Hartland, assembled under arms at the house of Capt. LULL with a fixed determination to rescue -MORRISON from imprisonment. The court having been informed of these proceedings on the 16th of November, directed the sheriff to procure assistance, proceed to the place where the insurgents were collected, arrest them, and commit them to prison. In obedience to these commands Sheriff WAIT, who was also colonel of the third regiment of the Vermont militia, ordered Capt. DARTT, of Weathersfield, to march his company to Windsor. On the evening of the same day the soldiery of the latter place assembled to aid the civil authority. The court and some of the higher military officers then called a council, and having taken into consideration the character of the mob, determined that it would be true policy to take them by surprise. In conformity with this conclusion, Col. WAIT, with a force of forty men well armed, set out for the stronghold of the insurgents very early on the morning of the 17th, and reached it between the hours of three and four.

      Having evaded the notice of the guards by taking a circuitous route, WAIT and his men entered Capt. LULL's house in two divisions, and after a short, but “very resolute" attack, captured twenty-seven of the insurgents. During the conflict the leaders of the revolt escaped. So expeditiously was this performed that WAIT's party returned to Windsor and lodged the culprits safely in the jail at that place before sunrise. Though the victory over the insurgents was gained with comparative ease, yet several wounds were received by the sheriff's party. Stephen JACOB, the State's attorney, did not escape without injury, and WAIT himself was "badly wounded in the head." Still he was able to attend court, and, observed a chronicler of that time, would "have headed his regiment if necessity had required it." The results of this attack would have been far more disastrous, but for the humanity and firmness evinced by the military. The conduct of Capt. DART was highly applauded, and it was publicly announced at the time that he and his company were entitled to "the particular thanks of the freemen" of the State.

      On the 18th, the State's attorney exhibited a complaint against the insurgents, in which they were charged with having assembled for the purpose of hindering the supreme court from proceeding with the trial of certain persons who had been "informed against for a high misdemeanor," and for the purpose of rescuing Robert MORRISON, "then a prisoner in the goal at said Windsor, pursuant to a legal order from said court." In answer to these accusations the prisoners pleaded guilty, and appeared "very humble and penitent." In consequence of these manifestations, they were "treated with great tenderness by the court." Fines were imposed upon them, and they were also required to discharge the cost of the suits and to procure bonds for their good behavior for one year. Fears had been entertained that an insurrection of the people was about to happen, which would endanger the government of the State and jeopardize the lives and liberty of those who refused to join it. Preparations for such an event were accordingly made, and on Saturday, while the trial of the insurgents was in progress, six hundred soldiers under the command of Brig.-Gen. Peter OLCOTT assembled under aims at Windsor. Meantime the insurgents, having received reinforcements, had collected at LULL's house to the number of a hundred. While in doubt as to the course they should pursue, information was brought to them of the preparations for defense or attack which were in progress at Windsor. Satisfied that the government was too strong to be overcome by their puny efforts, the rioters dispersed, studious only to avoid detection and disgrace. Early the following week the soldiers returned to their homes, and peace was again restored to the distracted community. Thus ended this miniature Shay's rebellion. In one of the State's attorney's complaints against the rioters, the persons informed against were as follows: Amos KENDALL, Benjamin HOLE, Silas HOLE, David HOLE, and Abijah CAPEN, of Windsor; Benjamin MUNSILL, Timothy WOOSTER, Eleazer BISHOP, Jr., Paul ROGERS, Oliver ROGERS, Samuel DANFORTH, Sylvanus WOOD, John JENNE, Elzi EVANS, Asa EVANS, Zera EVANS, Elish GALLUP, Jr.. James KELSEY, and William HOPKINS, of Hartland; and Josiah CLARK, and Josiah HURLBURT, of Woodstock.

      Let us take a look at the country in the vicinity of these stirring scenes as it appeared in 1807. At the Four Corners there were no buildings except the tavern, which stood on the southeast corner, a gambrel-roofed house occupied by Dr. Friend STURTEVANT, who came here from Woodstock that year and was the only educated physician in the town, one other occupied by a Capt. FARWELL, who owned and run a saw-mill on the brook, and a small school house. On the road leading to Hartland village, or the Three Corners as it was then called, there were no buildings until you came to what was recently known as the C. W. WARREN place; below this there were dwellings in nearly the same places of those now occupied by Elisha BARRELL, Wilson BRITTON, and the late residence of E. H. BAGLEY, also one opposite the large elm tree still farther east, and at which point the road turned to the north and led over the hill instead of passing directly east as it does now, coming into the village by the Quechee road. Near the corner of Ira ROGERS' farm, on the north side of this road, stood one of the first stores in town, kept at this time by "Johnny" R. GIBSON. At Hartland village the, Congregational parsonage then stood as now; the hotel building, two stores, standing on the sites now occupied for the same purpose, three houses and Mr. HAMILTON's blacksmith shop, with the school-house opposite the parsonage, constituted the settlement. Back or west of the Pavillion Hotel, kept by Lyman CHILDS, a large forest of pine timber extended northward and westward, covering all the hills in sight.

      Col. Oliver WILLARD, to whom and whose associates the New York charter was issued, was a prominent man in the public affairs of his day. He came to Hartland in 1763 and made the first settlement upon the farm now owned by Phineas WILLARD. The first birth in the town was a daughter of Mr. WILLARD. She died soon after, making the first death in the township.

      Gov. Paul SPOONER was also an early settler. He made the first settlement on the farm now owned by Charles GATES and son, in 1770, and practiced medicine for a time. Mr. SPOONER was for many years actively engaged in advancing the public interests of Vermont, and enjoyed the fullest confidence of the people of the State. He was a member of the council from 1778 to 1782, when he was chosen lieut.-governor of the State. In this position he was continued until 1786. He was judge of the supreme court in 1779, 1780, and from 1782 to 1788. During the years 1781-'82, he served as judge and register of probate for Windsor county. In 1779 he was town clerk of Hartland. Subsequent to this he removed to Hardwick, Caledonia county, and was chosen first town clerk of that town, in 1795. Of the respect with which the early officers of Vermont were treated, the following incident affords a good example: On one occasion the Rev. Elisha HUTCHINSON, the first minister of Pomfret, was preaching a sermon at a private house in this town, when Mr. SPOONER entered the room. Pausing in the Midst of his discourse, the reverend minister informed his audience that he had "got about half through" his sermon, but as Gov. SPOONER had come to hear it, he would begin it again. Then turning to a woman who sat near him, he said: "My good woman, get out of that chair and let Gov. SPOONER have a seat, if you please"' Mr. SPOONER was accommodated and Mr. HUTCHINSON repeated the first part of his sermon, much to the edification, it is supposed, of those who had already heard it.

      Daniel SPOONER, brother of the governor, came to Hartland about the same time of the former, making the first settlement on the farm now owned by his granddaughter, Sophia M. GAGE. He married Abigail MONROE and reared nine children, eight of wham attained an age of over seventy years.

      Elder Timothy GRAW, for many years pastor of the Baptist church, was the first settled minister in the town. He located on road 3, upon the farm now owned by J. H. EASTMAN.

      Mathias RUSS, from New London, came to Hartland in 1763 or '64, to take charge of a grist-mill at what is now North Hartland. This was the first mill built in the town and the first in the county. Mr. RUSS continued in charge of the mill several years, then followed farming the remainder of his life. He reared a family of eight children, all of whom settled in this and surrounding towns.

      Capt. Caleb HENDRICKS, from Massachusetts, was among the earliest settlers, He located, with his father, upon the farm now owned by J. and S. S. WALKER, They brought with them two slaves, Caesar BROCKEY and his brother, and located them upon a piece of land adjoining the farm. A rough stone now marks the colored men's graves and the spot where stood their cabin.

      Isaiah ALDRICH made the first settlement upon the farm now owned by A. L DAVIS. Noah, son of Isaiah, was born and spent his life on the old farm. In 1852 the children of Noah removed to Mendata [Mendota], Ill., where they now reside. The ALDRICH family stood high in the respect of their townsmen.

      MARTIN Cabot, who made the first survey of the town, receiving therefore a choice of a lot in the same, was also an early settler.

      Asa TAYLOR, from Connecticut, made the first settlement on the farm now owned by James L. PADDLEFORD, where he reared seven children -- Asa, Jr., Samuel, Alvin, Elias, Oliver, Sprague and Nancy. Elias married Azubia GOSS, of St. Johnsbury, and had born to him Elias, Jr., Solomon, Chandler, Foster, Samuel, Azubia, Anna, Susan and Sophia.

      Eliphalet ROGERS, born at Martha's Vineyard in 1756, entered the Revolutionary army when quite young, was captured by the enemy and was confined in an English prison seven years, when he made his escape. After the war he came back, married, and settled in this town, upon the farm now owned by Harris MILLER, where he died March 12, 1841, aged eighty-five years. The only descendants of Eliphalet now residing in the town are Ira, son of Pethuel, and Silas and Jerome, sons of Jonathan. Artemas ROGERS came here from Martha's Vineyard in 1780. His son, William, married Chloe PEABODY and reared eight children, of whom Cyrus W., Daniel P., Lorenzo and Mary Bagley are now living. Paul ROGERS, brother of Eliphalet, came here in 1785.

      Elisha GALLUP, from Stonington, Conn., was the first settler on the farm now owned by his grandson, Elisha J. GALLUP.

      Samuel WILLIAMS, from Stonington, Conn., made the first settlement on the farm now owned by John W. SAWYER. In 1782 he built the house now occupied by Mr. SAWYER. He reared a family of eleven children, of whom Lewis D., Sarah K. (BATES), and Mary (WHITMAN), are living.

      Amos BRYANT, from Middlebury, Conn., made the first settlement on the farm now owned by Jerome ROGERS, where he reared a family of seven children. Ephraim, son of Amasa, was born here in 1784 and died in 1869.

      Thomas LAWTON, from Petersham, Conn., made the first settlement on the farm now owned by William SHORT. His children were Thomas, Jr., George, Susan, Harvey, Sally, Amelia and Mary, many of whose descendants now reside here.

      Thomas Park ROOD made the first settlement upon the farm now owned by his great-great-grandson, Melvin J. HOLT, where he built the second barn put up in the town. He died October 10, 1795, aged sixty-three years.

      Adonijah LUCE, from Martha's Vineyard, came to Hartland, June 4, 1774, making the first settlement upon the farm now owned by Byron RUGGLES. He married Abigail ARTHORN, who died in 1790, and was the first corpse carried to its grave by a team in the town.

      Samuel JENNE, from Bedford, Mass., came to Hartland in 1770, making the first settlement on the farm now owned by his great-grandson, Sebastian JENNE. He died January 2. 1802, aged seventy-two years.

      Benjamin JAQUITH came to Hartland, from Massachusetts, about 1776, and made the first settlement on the farm now owned by his great-grandson, Wesley A. JAQUITH.

      Francis CABOT, from Woodstock, Conn., came to Hartland about 1776, making the first settlement on the farm now owned by F. T. ALEXANDER. He married Marcia HODGEMAN and reared a family of eleven children, the youngest of whom died in 1830, aged seventy-four years.

      John SUMNER, from Pomfret, Conn., came to Hartland in June, 1777, settling the farm now owned by his grandson, F. A. SUMNER.

      Solomon BROWN, a Revolutionary soldier from Connecticut, made the first settlement on the farm now owned by his grandson, Sidney BROWN, in 1780.

      John DUNBAR, another Revolutionary soldier from Connecticut, came here about 1780, making the first settlement on the farm now owned by Arthur KEEN.

      Nathaniel WEED, from Ware, N. H., came to Hartland about 1780 and purchased of Asa HEATH the farm now owned by the heirs of his grandson, Nathaniel.

      James WALKER came to this town, from Massachusetts, in 1781, locating upon the farm now owned by his great-grandsons, J. and S. S. WALKER. The old frame house now used by N. F. ENGLISH as a machine shop was built by James, Jr., in 1800.

      Adam CRANDALL, from Stonington, Conn., made the first settlement on the farm now owned by Harmon MERRITT, in 1782. A. L. CRANDALL, residing on road 40, is the only one of the family left in the town.

      Samuel HEALEY came from Dudley, Mass., in 1783 and made the first settlement on the farm now owned by his grandson, R. V. GILL.

      Isaac MORGAN, with his son Daniel, came here from Groton, Conn., in 1784, and made the first settlement on the farm now owned by his grandson, Daniel F.

      Charles MACKENZIE, from Londonderry, N. H., came here in 1789, and, in 1797, purchased the farm now owned by J. N. MACKENZIE.

      Joseph LIVERMORE, from Paxton, Mass., came herewith his father, William, in 1791, locating at North Hartland. In 1793 the family settled upon the farm Joseph now occupies. The longest period he has been away from the farm since, was seven months, when he went to the war of 1812. He is now ninety-four years of age and receives a pension.

      Isaac SARGENT came to Hartland, from Ware, N. H., in 1792, locating upon the farm now owned by his grandson, Isaac N. The house the latter now occupies was built during that year.

      Willard MARCY, from New Hampshire, came here in 1795 and purchased the farm now owned by his grandson, Daniel MARCY.

      Consider, Quartus and Eldad ALEXANDER came to Hartland about 1795. Consider located upon the farm now owned by Nathan HARLOW, where he carried on the clothier's trade until his death. His sons Taylor and Foster T. now reside here. Eldad located on the farm now owned by Charles W. WALES, where he practiced medicine until his death, in 1827. Qurtus located on the farm now owned by his grandson, Frederick ALEXANDER. He was the first blacksmith in this part of the town.

      George MILLER came to Hartland with his father in 1795. Mr. MILLER, Sr., purchased of Gen. ENOS the farm now owned by J. R. POWERS. George married Lucy DEAN, and reared eight children, six of whom, Adelaide, James, Anson, Harris, Josephine and Oscar are living. The house in which Mr. POWERS now lives was built by Gen. ENOS nearly, or quite, one hundred years ago. The barn was built in 1798 and has never been re-shingled.

      Lemuel HOLT, from Woodstock, Vt., came here in 1796, and located upon the farm now owned by his son, James F. HOLT.

      David Hubbard SUMNER, who did so much for the town of Hartland in the way of developing its business facilities and stimulating its growth, was born at Claremont, N. H., December 7, 1776, and came to Hartland about 1805, establishing himself in mercantile pursuits about where Mr. STURTEVANT is now located. In early life Mr. SUMNER's father had intended that David should be a collegian; but young SUMNER preferred the life of a business man, so he entered the store of the LYMANS, at White River junction, where he received the necessary training that made him so successful through life. In 1809 he also opened a store in Middletown, Conn., which he continued, with various changes of partners, down to 1856, while at one time he maintained another branch concern in Louisiana. During the war of 1812, a militia company was organized here and Mr. SUMNER was chosen its captain. In 1813 and '14 he was appointed postmaster, and retained the office nearly twenty years, tendering his resignation July 8, 1833. Soon after coming to Hartland Mr. SUMNER had interested himself in the development of the town by building roads, establishing a ferry, bridging the Connecticut and establishing mills. The "Ferry road" and the road from the village to Sumner's falls are among those he built. October 9, 1809, he purchased the Perez GALLUP estate, the saw-mill at the falls, which was built a few years previous, and became extensively engaged in the lumber business, this point and Dalton, N. H, being the places for manufacture, while the lumber yards for its disposal were located at Springfield, Mass., and at Hartford and Middletown, Conn. The mill and dam were carried off by a freshet in 1857. In 1821 he formed a company and built a bridge across the Connecticut, near the site of the present bridge, which was ultimately carried off by a freshet. In 1841 he completed another bridge, which shared a like fate in March, 1859. After that, until his death, he maintained a ferry at that point. He also became sole owner of the canal and locks at Sumner's falls. Mr. Sumner married Martha B. FOXCROFT, of Brookfield, Mass., in 1805. She died in March, 1824, leaving no children. April 25, 1839, he married Wealthy THOMAS, of Windsor, who survives him. Their children were Mattie, born May 19, 1840, and David H., Jr., born November 8, 1842. Mattie, now the widow of Hon. Benjamin H. STEELE, resides on the old homestead with her mother. David H., Jr., died August 18, 1867, a short time before the death of his father, which occurred August 29, 1867.

      Hon. Benjamin Hinman STEELE, the husband of Mattie SUMNER, died in Faribault, Minn., whither he had gone in search of health, July 13, 1873, and was buried in Hartland on the Friday following. Mr. STEELE was a resident of the town only a short time, coming here after the death of Mr. SUMNER, yet his loss was greatly lamented. Mr. STEELE was born in Stanstead, P. Q., February 6, 18J7, attended school at Derby Center, at the St. Pierre college, P. Q., at the Norwich University, and graduated from Dartmouth college in 1857. About a year after his graduation he was admitted to the Suffolk bar, and also to the bar of Orleans county, and commenced practicing at Derby Line; and in the autumn of 1865 was appointed to the bench of the supreme court of Vermont, the youngest man who ever filled that position. He remained on the bench only five years, however, when he deemed it advisable to decline a re-election, to the unanimous regret of the bar and of the public. Mr. STEELE married Mattie SUMNER February 6, 1861, and left two children, Mary Hinman STEELE and David Sumner STEELE, to comfort their mother in her great loss.

      Dr. Friend STURTEVANT, son of Dr. Josiah and Lois (FOSTER) STURTEVANT, was born in Halifax, February 19, J767, studied medicine at Middleboro, with an older brother, Dr. Thomas STURTEVANT, and married Sarah PORTER, April 25, 1793. After his marriage, Dr. STURTEVANT went to New York State, thence to Pittsfield. Mass., thence, in 1804, to Woodstock, Vt., and, in 1807, to Hartland, where he was the only educated physician for some years and had an extensive practice. During the war of 1812 he enlisted in the U. S. army, as surgeon, was quartered at Plattsburgh, but was taken sick and returned home before the close of the war and continued the practice of his profession until his death, August 26, 1830.

      Elias BATES was born in Waitsfield, Vt., in 1795, and came to Hartland in 1812, purchasing the farm row owned by Edgar SPEAR. In 1834 he sold this place and purchased the farm now owned by his son, James G. BATES, where he died in April, 1872, aged seventy-nine years.

      Charles MARBLE, from Massachusetts, came here in 1816 and purchased a farm near the mouth of Lull brook, where he built and for many years run a saw-mill. He reared eight children, five of whom are now living. Mr. MARBLE died August 7, 1872, aged ninety years.

      Barker CROOKER came to Hartland in 1817 and resided here until his death in 1825. His son, W. S. CROOKER, still resides here.

      Harvey LAMB, from Massachusetts, came to Hartland in 1818 and engaged in farming and running a saw-mill with Lewis MERRITT. About 1821, in company with Lewis MERRITT and Stephen HAMMOND, he purchased a portion of the farm now owned by his son, Julius LAMB, and built a distillery which they operated for several years. They also built a grist-mill where MARTIN & STICKNEY's shops now are. Mr. LAMB married Esther HAMMOND and reared four children, three of whom, Julius, Harriet and Clara E., are now living, on the old homestead.

      Eldad FRENCH, from Tewksbury, Mass., came to Windsor in 1818, and since that time he has resided in Windsor and Hartland.

      Lewis MERRITT came to Hartland from Massachusetts in 181.9, and rented of Aaron WILLARD a grist-mill which stood where Asa MERRITT's now is. In 1821 he entered into partnership with Harvey LAMB and Stephen HAMMOND and built the grist-mill mentioned above.

      William LABAREE, son of Peter LABAREE, Jr., was born at Charlestown, N. H., June 21, 1781, married Sarah KENNEDY, January 24, 1808, and came to Hartland, from Weathersfield, Vt., in March, 1829. All but two of their nine children are now living, and three of them, Harriet (Mrs. S. F. SHORT), Ralph and Benjamin F., in this town. The latter is a merchant at Hartland village.

      Eldad FRENCH, from Tewksbury, Mass., came to Windsor in 1817, as a guard at the State prison. He returned to Massachusetts again in 1819, remained five years, then came back to the county, locating here on the Nathaniel PENNIMAN farm. He married Polly PENNIMAN and reared nine children, six of whom are living, two sons in this town, as follows: Charles H., on road 72, and Robert E., on road 68. His other surviving son, Frank, resides in Chicago, Ill.

      Jonathan BAGLEY was an early settler in the valley of Lull's brook, locating upon the farm now owned by Sanford B. BAGLEY. Jonathan, Jr., married Lydia SMALL and reared sixteen children, ten of whom are living. Sandford B., one of these, has always resided on the home farm. Laura A. and Lucia A., wives respectively of C. H. and R. E. FRENCH, are twin sisters.

      Charles McKENZIE, a native of Scotland, was born November 29, 1768, and immigrated to America with his parents in 1774, locating in Londonderry, Mass. About 1788 Charles came to Hartland, in company with Capt. James CAMPBELL, and located on road 54, near the place now owned by Fred W. CLARK. He subsequently, about 1797, removed to the farm now owned by his son, James M. During that year he married Mary SCOTT, who bore him three children and died. August 27, 1807, he married Eliza PARKER, by whom he had five sons and five daughters. Only one of the latter, Mrs. Seth JOHNSON, is living. Of the sons, James M. occupies the old farm, John resides in Woodstock, and Oliver in Windsor.

      Isaac MORGAN, from Groton, Connecticut, came to Hartland about 1788, locating on road 34, upon the farm now owned by his grandson, D. F. MORGAN. He reared a family of eight children, several of whose descendants now reside here.

      Jeremiah RICHARDSON came to Hartland at an early date and located on road 11. His youngest son, Amasa, was born on the old farm in 1788, and died thereon in 1870. He married Martha COTTON and reared a family of nine children, only two of whom, Ward C. RICHARDSON, of Woodstock, and Mrs. Celistia SLAYTON, of Cavendish, reside in the county. Paul D. RICHARDSON, Amasa's eldest son, became a clerk in the store of his uncle, Porter COTTON, at Hartland, and in 1841 succeeded to the business, which he carried on until his death, in 1870. He was much respected and held several of the town offices.

      The Congregational church, located at Hartland village, was organized by Revs. Isaiah POTTER, David FULLER and Peltiah CHAPIN, September 6, 1779, Rev. Daniel BRECK being the first pastor. The first house of worship was a wood structure, built in 1785, which did service until 1834, when the present brick edifice was built. It will comfortably seat 250 persons, and is valued at $2,000.00. The society now has fifty members, with Rev. Charles SCOTT, pastor.

      The Union church, at North Hartland, is occupied by the Methodist society. It was built in 1830, and is now valued at $1,500.00. The society has twelve members, with Rev. H. G. HOUGH, pastor.

      The Universalist Christian church at Hartland Four Corners, was originally organized May 10, 1802, with twenty-six members, under the name of the Catholic Benevolent Society. Afterwards it was known as the Universalist Benevolent Society, and since 1842 it has borne its present name. The first pastor was Rev. Hosea BALLOU, his pastorate beginning with the first Sabbath in March, 1813. The first church building, a brick structure, was erected in 1822, and in 1854 gave place to the present wood building, which will seat 230 persons and is valued at $3,000.00. The society has twenty-four members, with Rev. C. E. CHURCHILL, pastor.

Gazetteer of Towns
Gazetteer and Business Directory of 
Windsor County, Vt., For 1883-84
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child,
Syracuse, N. Y. Printed January, 1884.
Page 137-150.

Transcribed by Karima Allison ~ 2004

The Hartland Historical Society
First settler or not, Old Capt. Timothy Lull or Willard? 
Hartland ~ Virtual Vermont 
Hartland, Vermont Genealogy 
Hartland, Vermont Web Site 
New North Hartland Covered Bridge Replaces Concrete Span!
Hartland Township, Windsor County