XX indexVermont  






      STRATTON lies in the northwestern corner of the county, in lat. 43° 3' and long. 4° 8', bounded north by Winhall, in Bennington county, east by Jamaica and Wardsboro, south by Dover and Somerset, and west by Sunderland, in Bennington county. It was chartered by New Hampshire, July 30, 1761, to Isaac Searl and sixty-two others, in sixty-nine shares, containing an area of 23,040 acres. On October 28, 1799, however, Stratton Gore was annexed.

      The surface of the town is extremely irregular and mountainous, so much so, indeed, as to be in some places unfit for habitation. The cultivated farms are mostly in the eastern and southern portions, where there are tracts of arable land that well repays the toil of the husbandman. Deerfield river rises in the central part of the town, flowing south into Somerset, its principal tributary in this town being Black brook, which has its source in Bennington county. Pond brook has its source in GROUT pond, and flows a southerly course, uniting with Meadow brook, which also flows south, into Somerset. Several other small streams flow east into Wardsboro, and several flow north into Winhall. A number of good mill-privileges are afforded. GROUT pond, covering an area of about 100 acres lies in the southern part of the town, North, or Jones pond, lies in the northern part, and Muskrat, or Bowen pond, lies on the line between Stratton and Sunderland. The rocks are almost entirely of gneiss formation.

      In 1880 Stratton had a population of 302, and in 1882 had five school districts and four common schools, employing two female teachers, to whom was -paid an aggregate salary of $303.12. There were seventy pupils attending common school, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st, was $322.60, with E. H. WILLIS, superintendent.

      STRATTON is the only post office, it being located a little south of the center of the town, on the old stage road from Arlington, there being no village in the township: At the junction of this road and the road from the northern part of the town there is located a church, an hotel, and one dwelling. A little distance west of the old stage line is a blacksmith shop and the post office above mentioned, while just beyond the post office there is a cluster of about four houses. In the extreme southeastern part of the town there is a small hamlet called the Pike settlement, having been first settled by the PIKE family, and has had members of that family there ever since.

      Joel F. GROUT o' Sons' saw and shingle-mill and chair-stock factory, located in the extreme western part of the town, was purchased by Mr. GROUT in 1880, of E. W. BOWKER. The mill was built about ten years ago, by Osmer FITCH, upon the site of a mill erected in 1838, by Phineas WHITE, of Putney.

      R. LYMAN & Son's saw-mill, located on road 18, has the capacity for turning out about 5,000 feet of lumber per day. Mr. LYMAN purchased the property of William PIKE, in 1844, though there has been a mill on this site about sixty years, the first having been erected by Levi KNIGHT. The present structure was built by Mr. PIKE, in 1835.

      Alexander H. PIKE's caw-mill, located on road 18, manufactures all kinds of lumber, and shingles, and is also supplied with planing and matching machinery. Mr. PIKE built the mill in 1844.

      The settlement of the town was not commenced until 1784, by Timothy MORSMAN. Others of the same name followed soon after, and also a family by the name of PATCH. In 1791, the settlement had increased to ninety-five souls. 

      The town was organized and the first town meeting held, in 1788, when Asa PHILLIPS was chosen town clerk; Joseph PATCH, constable; and Timothy MORSMAN, Solomon GALE and Benjamin HOBBS, selectmen. The first birth was that of Asa PHILLIPS, Jr., in 1785.

      William G. and Jonathan PIKE, two brothers, came to Stratton, with their mother, in 1795. He erected a log house on the farm now owned by William Henry EDDY, on road 17, and a year later the brothers were joined by their father, Samuel PIKE, who was born at Hopkinton, Mass., in 1728. He died here November 15, 1815. Mrs. PIKE died February 20, 1825, aged eighty-five years. They reared four children, William G., Anna, Jotham and Rhoda. Jatham reared ten children by his first wife, and eleven by his second. Alexander HAMILTON, the sixth of his ten children, built the saw-mill he still owns, in 1844. He married Elvira RICE, who bore him four children, three of whom are living, Viola and Elvira in Brattleboro, and Lovina with her father.

      Rodolphus LYMAN, born in 1790, died here in 1866. He married Bethiah ROBBINS, in Northfield, Mass., April 24, 1820, and came to Stratton in 1837, locating upon the farm now owned by William Henry EDDY, on road 17, Rufus, one of their twelve children, born September 3, 1815, married Tryphenia PIKE, the youngest child of William G. PIKE. One of their four children, William R., married Emma WHITMAN, of Jamaica, and now operates a saw-mill in company with his father.

      Stephen FORRESTER came to Stratton about 1820, locating on road 15, upon the farm now owned by his son, Roderick B. Roderick has held several of the town offices.

      Samuel WILLIS, from Mendon, Mass., came to Stratton about 1806, locating on road 18. He reared six children, Sylvia, Amy, Ruth, Roxey, Chloe and Daniel. Hilon E. WILLIS, residing on road 16, has served the town as selectman. Herbert F. WILLIS, residing on road 11, married Flora ALLEN and has reared three children.

      The Union Congregational church, located at the corner of roads 10 and 11, was organized at an early date, Rev. Chester PRESCOTT being the first and only settled pastor the society has ever had. The first house of worship was erected in 1809, and gave place to the present structure in 1849, which will seat about 200 persons, and is valued at $300.00. The society now has about fifteen members, with no regular pastor.

Gazetteer and Business Directory of 
Windham County, Vt., 1724-1884.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child,
Printed At The Journal Office, Syracuse, N. Y., July, 1884.
Page 304 [18]- 304 [20]

Transcribed by Karima Allison ~2004