XX indexVermont  






      DUMMERSTON lies in the eastern part of the county, in lat. 42° 56', and long. 4° 28', bounded north by Putney and Brookline, east by the left bank of Connecticut river, south by Brattleboro, and west by parts of Newfane and Marlboro. Dummerston was originally a part of the Equivalent Lands, described on page 58, that name being applied to the whole tract, in honor of William DUMMER, one of the principal proprietors. In 1750 Joseph BLANCHARD, of Amherst, N. H., was sent to survey the territory. His survey having been completed, the proprietors of the Equivalent Lands petitioned the Governor of New Hampshire for a confirmatory grant of that tract and a portion of the adjacent territory. Accordingly, on the 26th of December, 1753, the "Equivalent Lands," together with a "considerable quantity of other lands, was formed into three townships, beginning at the north bounds of Hinsdale, on the west side of the river, and extending back about six miles, and so far up the river" as to enclose the required amount, and which was divided into the townships of Fulham, Putney and Brattleboro. Fulham, which in old documents is also spelled Fullham and Fullum, subsequently attained the ancient name of Dummerston, though at what time is not positively known. As late as 1773, however, the territory was known by both names. The charter deed allowed an area of 19,360 acres to Fulham. On June 12, 176o, the restricted time for fulfilling some of the conditions of the charter was extended, and was again extended July 7, 1763.

      The surface of the town is, in many parts, broken and uneven, though there are large tracts of level, excellent farming land, Dummerston meadows being noted for their fertility. The principal elevations are Black mountain, of granite formation, in the central and southern part, Prospect hill in the central part, Spaulding and Leverwood hills in the northern part, and Stoddard hill in the western part. The scenery of the town is of the finest in the county, the picturesqueness of White river valley being proverbial, while many points of view are afforded that are grand in the extreme. White river, the principal stream, flows a southeasterly course through the western part of the township, having a number of small tributaries, while the eastern portion of the territory is drained by tributaries of the placid Connecticut. These several streams go far towards making up the scenic beauties of the town, and at the same time afford many good mill-sites. The soil is, in most localities, arable and easily cultivated. The rocks entering into the geological structure of the territory are principally of the calciferous mica schist and clay-slate formation, the former underlying the western, and later the eastern portions. The granitic formation of Black mountain has already been mentioned. It is white, flecked with black mica, and is much used for monuments, building purposes, etc. LYON & Co. have a quarry here where they employ about forty men. Primitive limestone also occurs in beds. Specimens of tremolite, limpid quartz and galena, or the sulphuret of lead, are also found here.

      In 1880 Dummerston had a population of 816, and in 1882 it was divided into eleven school districts and contained ten common schools, employing four male and fifteen female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary of $1,159.00. There were 176 pupils attending common school, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st, was $1,345.40, with D. L. MANSFIELD, superintendent.

      DUMMERSTON (p. o.) is a small hamlet located in the central part of the town. It consists of one church (Baptist), and about a dozen dwellings. About sixty rods to the east is located the postoffice, and one mile east is the hamlet of Slab Hollow, where are located a carriage shop, grist-mill, saw-mill, blacksmith shop, etc. Dummerston station, on the Connecticut River R. R., is located in the southeastern part of the town.

      WEST DUMMERSTON, a post village and station on the Brattleboro & Whitehall railroad, located in the western part of the town, has one church (Baptist), a hotel, one store, a grist and saw-mill, a blacksmith shop, the granite works of LYON & Co., and about twenty dwellings.

      John TAFT's saw, shingle and cider-mill and jelly manufactory is located on Stickney brook, on road 39.

      George E. LYONS & Co.'s granite quarry, located on West river, produces a large amount of granite, which is cut and shipped ready for use in building bridges, piers, etc., giving employment to about forty hands.

      W. & W. E. COMBS's grist and saw-mill, located at West Dummerston, is operated by water-power and is fitted with machinery for the manufacture of board and dimension lumber, shingles, etc., and also with a mill for grinding meal and feed, and a machine for polishing granite. The first mill erected on this site is said to have been erected by Joseph DUNKLEE, about sixty years ago, and was burned about 1853. The present mill was erected by C. S. ROEL, in 1855 or '56.

      Charles H. GRANT's stone quarry, located near West Dummerston, was purchased by Mr. GRANT in 1882. He employs several men in quarrying and cutting granite.

      Frederick F. CROSBY's grist and saw-mill, located on Cone brook, road 48, was built by Ebenezer CONE, and was purchased by Mr. CROSBY in 1866. He grinds about 10,000 bushels of grain and cuts from 75,000 to 100,000 feet of lumber per annum.

      Edward F. REED's saw-mill, located at Slab Hollow, cuts about 200,000 feet of lumber and 100,000 shingles per annum. Mr. REED also makes about 500 barrels of cider and 50,000 oak rims for baby carriages per year.

      Franklin CROSBY's grist-mill, operated by George N. CROSBY, was built in 1857. It has one run of stories and grinds about 7,000 bushels of grain per annum.

      Soon after the charter of Fulham was granted, John KATHAN, who had resided within the limits of the town since the year 1752, united with a number of persons, purchased in conjunction with them, from the New Hampshire proprietors, a part of the township, and in the year 1764, according to his own account, removed there, "with his wife and seven or eight helpless children." "Possessing the qualities of industry and perseverance," says HALL in his “History of Eastern Vermont," qualities especially necessary to the successful management of a new settlement, he addressed himself with energy to his task, and did actually clear and improve above a hundred and twenty acres, and built a good dwelling-house, barn, and all necessary offices, and also a saw-mill and potash works."' In order to guard his improvements, he was "at a considerable expense in building a fort round his house," and was “under the disagreeable necessity of residing therein during the course of a tedious and distressing war." Misfortune rendered his toil more severe. His eldest daughter was taken prisoner by the Indians, and for two years and a half he knew nothing of her fate; but at the end of that time she returned home, Col. Peter SCHUYLER having "paid a ransom of four hundred livres for her redemption from captivity." In the year of 1752 a ferry was established between Westmoreland, N. H., and the proprietary of Dummerston, and about the same period a similar method of communication was arranged between the latter place and the town of Chesterfield. The settlement, although much disturbed by the French and Indian war, was not allowed to die, and a few years after the restoration of order, John KATHAN and his eighteen associates, with their families, were rapidly subduing the forests of Fulham, and accomplishing the conditions of their charter.

      In 1771 the settlement had increased to 189 souls, the enumeration being as follows: fifty-four males under sixteen years of age; fifty-four between the ages of sixteen and sixty; three over sixty; thirty-seven females under the age of sixteen; forty above sixteen, and one colored male, forty-four of the number being heads of families. In 1791 this population had increased to 1,501, in 1800 to 1,692, and in 1810 to 1,704 souls, being the highest population the town has ever had. Since then it has gradually fallen off to the present small list of 816. The town was organized in 1771, when Enoch COOK was chosen town clerk; Rufus SARGENT, Barzilla RICE, Ebenezer HAVEN, and Daniel KATHAN, constables; and Ebenezer HAVENS, Leonard SPAULDING, Thomas HOLTON, and Joseph HILDRETH, selectmen. The first justices of the peace were Alexander KATHAN and Nathan DUNCAN, in 1786. The first representative was Leonard SPAULDING in March, 1778. The first town meeting under the charter was called in writing, the document being signed by the following named individuals: Ebenezer HAVEN, Charles DAVENPORT, Daniel KATHAN, Enoch COOK, John KILBURN, Samuel WISWALL, Josiah BOYDEN, Barzilla RICE, Rufus SARGENT, Samuel DUTTON, Jr., Nathaniel FRENCH, Isaac MILLER, and Horace MILLER. The meeting thus warned met at the house of Isaac MILLER, Monday, March 9, 1771, when Alexander KATHAN was chosen moderator, and Enoch COOK, clerk. Samuel WISWALL, Alexander KATHAN, and Enoch COOK were appointed a committee to lay out roads, and Isaac MILLER and Benjamin JONES to act in company with the said committee, "to view the public lots and choose the spot to set a meeting-house." Alexander KATHAN was elected surveyor of highways, and it was voted that each settler work four days on highway improvements. And Charles DAVENPORT, David KATHAN, and Joseph HILDRETH were appointed a committee "to look out a burying place."

      David BENNETT was one of the early settlers of Dummerston. He was twice married, reared a family of seventeen children, and died June 9, 1848. His son, Jonas G., born July 28, 1814, married Adaline M. MILLER, reared four children, Franklin E., Ellen C., and Fayette O., and now resides in Spafford county, Kansas.

      William KELLEY was one of the early settlers of Dummerston. His son Samuel, born in Dummerston in 1760, was thrice married, to Margaret HOWE who bore him one child, to Rebecca CHOATE, who bore him three children, and to Eunice CHOATE, who bore him four children, viz.: Harriet, Urial, Austin and Benjamin F. He died in Wardsboro, in 1814. Benjamin F., the youngest son was born in Wardsboro, April 1, 1806. He was twice married and reared ten children, three of whom are now living. He resided in Wardsboro until 1848, then in Newfane until 1866, when he removed to Brattleboro, where he now resides, on road 5, the only one of Samuel's children living.

      Isaac MILLER was of Scotch descent. He was born in 1708, and in 1739, married Sarah CROSBY, of Worcester, Mass. He had eight sons and four daughters. March 5, 1767, he located on road 34, in Dummerston. He was a civil engineer and surveyor, and in 1767 he surveyed the town into lots.

      Jacob LAUGHTON, from Massachusetts, was born in 1761, and came to Dummerston with his father, Samuel, in 1769. He married and settled on road 10. The homestead farm, which has always been in the LAUGHTON family, is now in possession of his grandson, Austin LAUGHTON, the youngest child of Jacob LAUGHTON, Jr., who was the youngest of eight children raised by the pioneer.

      John LAUGHTON, a son of Deacon John LAUGHTON, was born in 1770, and came to Dummerston when about two years old. He married Sally MILLER, of Dummerston, by whom he had one son and two daughters. Thomas, who was born in 1796, married Rosanna KNAPP, of Dummerston. The fruit of this marriage was five sons and four daughters, of whom Augustine I. and Frederick H. reside in this town. The latter married Anna LITTLEWORTH and has six sons and two daughters. His daughter, Nellie M., aged thirteen years, in the summer of 1883 caught a hawk measuring thirty-four inches from tip to tip, which had entered the barn to prey upon some chickens and was about to escape through the open door.

      Jonas WALKER, Jr., was born in Dummerston in 1781 and married Polly, daughter of Marshal MILLER, by whom he had three sons and six daughters, six of whom are living.

      Ichabod KNAPP was born in Petersham, Mass., in 1755. In 1780 he married Catherine MILLER and settled in the north part of the town. After a residence there of three years he bought the place of Mrs. Andrew STEVENS, living one year in a log house, when, in 1783, he erected the house now occupied by his grandson, George S. KNAPP. He raised a family of six sons and five daughters. One son, Isaac, was a physician, and died in the town in 1856. Another son, George W., born in 1796, married Elizabeth M. MANSFIELD, widow of Josiah WILLIAMS, who bore him a son and a daughter. The former, George S., born in 1858, resides on the homestead with his mother.

      Dr. Isaac BURNETT was a son of Robert BURNETT, who came to Warwick, Mass., from Scotland, about 1700. Isaac was born in 1745, married Esther MARRIAM, and came to Dummerston about 1781, where he commenced to practice medicine. He had a family of two sons and two daughters, Mollie, Jotham, Wilkins, and Anna. Isaac died October 18, 1816. He was twice married. His first wife died August 7, 1799, and his second wife, Lydia EDDY, died January 3, 1847. She had one child, Mary, who married Caleb TAFT.

      Dr. Jotham BURNETT, son of Isaac, was born at Warwick, Mass., December 21, 1780, and came to Dummerston when about a year old. He studied medicine with his father and subsequently practiced here. He married Abigail PRATT and reared four sons and two daughters. Jotham died January 21, 1847. His wife died February 27, 1850. Three of his children are now living, Mary, widow of George R. MILLER, residing at Brattleboro. Stephen P. resides on the home farm in Dummerston. Lysander resides in Boston, Mass. Isaac was also a physician, and practiced in Milford, Otsego Co., N. Y. Forest M. was a photographer and settled in Cooperstown, N. Y. Philena P. married Daniel TAYLOR and settled in Boston. Lysander was born in Dummerston, March 27, 1808, married Emily FRENCH, and has five sons and two daughters. His first wife died October 13, 1851, and his second wife was Louise TAYLOR, who died May 19, 1881.

      Stephen BENNETT, from Connecticut, came to Dummerston about 1873. He married Ruth FELLOWS, who bore him four sons and four daughters, of whom Orrin L., who was born in the town in 1792, married Sarah BOWKER, of Walpole, N. H., and had four sons and two daughters, of whom George R., who is an acting justice of the peace, married Mary E. DOWNES, and resides on the homestead with his father and mother, the former of whom is ninety-two years of age, and the latter eighty-three.

      Henry WILLARD, from Lancaster, Mass., came to Dummerston, where he married Sarah WILDER about 1785, or '86. His oldest son, Benjamin, was born here in 1787, and married Lydia, daughter of Samuel BENNETT. He lived many years where S. H. BARRETT now resides. He was one of eight children, and he himself raised a family of ten, five sons and five daughters. He was for many years a justice of the peace and one of the board of the town officers. His son, Nelson W., is a farmer and has always lived in Dummerston. Another son, Benjamin F., has lived in this town with the exception of twenty-five years spent in Chicopee, Mass., having resided twenty five years on his present farm. He is a store mason and has been foreman on many large jobs in this and other States.

      John S. GATES, from Worcester, Mass., married Hannah MOORE, of that State, and had five sons and three daughters, of whom Shepherd, who was born in Dummerston in 1780, married Polly DUTTON in 1808, and had two sons, the eldest of whom, Alanson, born in 1808, married Julia A. TURNER, of Putney, Vt., and lives on the LAUGHTON farm in district No. 4.

      Asa DUTTON came to Dummerston from Worcester, Mass., before 1790, and settled in the southeast part of the town, where he pursued the vocation of a farmer, and died in February, 1836, aged seventy-eight years. Not one of his eight children survives.

      Peter STICKNEY was born in Harvard, Mass., April 7, 1761. In April, 1778, he enlisted in the Continental army and served several years in the struggle for independence. In 1782 he married Eunice (WILLARD) CARLETON, and about 1792 he came to Dummerston and bought and cleared the farm where S. W. ESTEY now lives. He was a carpenter and cooper by trade, and the father of four children. Benjamin, his only son, was born in Leominster, Mass., March 15, 1785, and succeeded to his father's estate. He married Sally, daughter of Thomas BETTERLEY, of Newfane, October 25, 1807. They resided in Dummerston, and reared nine children. Benjamin, Jr., their oldest son, was born in Dummerston September 4, 1808. He learned the trade of a carriage maker and pursued that vocation in the same shop for fifty-five years. He has been chosen to various town offices, and for fifty-two years he has been a member of the Baptist church. He married Betsey TENNEY, April 25, 1831, and has had five children, of whom George W., Albert W., and Ada L. (BAILEY) now live in Dummerston. Peter, another son of Benjamin, Sr., was born July 21, 1820, married Abigail WELLMAN, and still lives in this town.

      Hon. Asa KNIGHT was born in Dummerston February 29, 1793, He died July 20, 1851. His ancestors carne from England and settled in Massachusetts in 1620. He filled successfully for many years the various public offices of constable, collector, deputy sheriff and representative. In 1824 he removed to Newfane Hill, the county seat, and was keeper of the county jail for two years. He returned to Dummerston in 1828 and commenced business as a merchant. He was judge of probate for this district for the three years, 1835, '36 and '37. He was eminently successful in business, and his large and varied experience, together with his extensive acquaintance with the prominent men of the county and State, made him the associate of the first in the legal fraternity. He was bold and fearless in the enunciation of his principles, and was greatly beloved for his genial, social qualities and noble and generous nature. He gave liberally to the poor and needy, and was ever ready to lend a helping hand to the oppressed and down-trodden. He was a devoted member of the Masonic fraternity, and a strong adherent of the principles of the old Democratic party, which propensity he inherited from his ancestors. May 1, 1822, he married Susan, daughter of John and Mary (DAVENPORT) MILLER, and granddaughter of Capt. Isaac MILLER, the pioneer settler and surveyor of Dummerston. She was born October 22, 1896. She was strictly disciplined in her youth in industry, economy, a sacred regard for truth, and the religious faith of her Puritan ancestors, in whom these were prominent characteristics, and her life evinced their most rigid observance. She possessed a vigorous constitution and was untiring in her devotion, and faithful in the discharge of her duties to her husband and family. She was distinguished for patience, cheerfulness and excellent judgment. She is still living, at the age of eighty-seven years. This worthy couple had eight children, three sons and five daughters. Seven of them are still living, though widely scattered over the country, only one, Mary Esther, born in Newfane July 26, 1826, and now living with her mother, residing permanently in this town or county. One son, Randolph, after an absence to the West of nearly twenty years, returned with his family about three years since.

      David BELKNAP, from Massachusetts, located on road 36, where C. G. ROEL now lives, previous to the Revolution. He married Betsey PLUMMER and had six sons and four daughters. John, who was born in 1808, became an extensive railroad contractor and builder. He married Harriet P., daughter of Nathaniel FRENCH. Their son Chester P. resides on the BELKNAP homestead on road 20. He was born in 1838, married Julia E. NORCROSS, and has one son, Harry C.

      Alexander KATHAN, one of the first settlers of the town, located on the farm now occupied by Dr. SHOALS. Mrs. Adin A. DUTTON and Mrs. Larken G. COLE, of this town, are great-grandchildren of his.

      Dea. Dan WILDER, son of Joshua and Lois WILDER, was born in Massachusetts in 1786, and came to Dummerston with his father in 1795. He located on road 54. He had eight sons and five daughters. Leroy WILDER, his grandson, who was born in 1808, and married Patience GOULD in 1832, lives on the homestead. He is the son of Dan WILDER, 2d, who married Joanna BEMIS, of Dummerston, in 18o6, and had seven sons and three daughters.

      Samuel STODDARD, from Chesterfield, was born in 1767, married Zeruah, daughter of Ephraim and Anna RICHMOND, who was born in 1770, and located on Dummerston Hill in 1767. He had three sons and three daughters, one of whom, Levi, died in 1863, aged ninety-two years. Horace R. STODDARD, son of Levi, was town representative in 1878-'79.

      Dr. Abel DUNCAN was born in Petersham, Mass., in 1772. He studied medicine with Dr. GOULD, of Chester, and came to Dummerston about 1798. He married Lydia MILLER, of this town, by whom he had one son and two daughters. The former, Charles M., who was born in 1808, was a physician, and married Lucinda EASTERBROOK. Fanny M., who was born in 1810, married Joel WELLMAN, whom she survives, and resides on the old homestead with her daughter, Mrs. E. D. GREENWOOD. The other daughter, Evalina, who was born in 1813, married Marshall NEWTON, and died in 1834.

      Dudley BAILEY, with his family, from Westminster, Mass., after a few years' residence in Brattleboro, located, in 1798, in Dummerston, on road 39, on the farm now owned by his grandson, Silas A. BAILEY. His son David, who was a native of Westminster, and one of a family of four sons and one daughter, succeeded to the ownership of the homestead. He married Lydia ALLEN, and spent his life on the farm, where he raised ten sons and two daughters. He died in 1867, aged eighty-six years. One of the daughters, Mrs. Anna BALDWIN, and three of the sons, Levi, Silas A. and Abner B., still reside in Dummerston. Chester W. resides in Brattleboro, William D. in Rhode Island, Ora in Fitchburg, Mass., and Ephraim D. in Canada. Silas A. BAILEY was born November 9, 1815, and married October 17, 1849, Arvilla, daughter of David JACKSON, who was born in; Newfane July 17, 1831. Their only son, David J., was born in Newfane, July 26, 1850. December 24, 1872, he married Ada L., daughter of Benjamin STICKNEY, who was born January 11, 1851. They reside on the old homestead purchased by Dudley BAILEY in 1798, and have one daughter, Grace A.

      Jesse WELLMAN was an early settler in the south part of the town. He was a farmer and plow-maker. He died about 1846, aged eighty-three years. He raised ten children, six of whom are now living. Perry, who was born in 1796, has spent most of his life in Dummerston and Putney. He married Eliza FAIRBANKS, who has borne him eleven children, five of whom are now living, James H. and Charles D., in Putney.

      Cromwell BURNHAM, who came in company with two brothers from England, settled at an early day in the central part of Dummerston, where he resided till his death. He served in the war of the Revolution. He raised ten children, who were equally divided as to sex. His son Cromwell was born in Dummerston, in 1802, and lived here until 1844, when he removed to Putney to live with his son. He died in 1867. He raised ten children, only three of whom are living, one, Henry J., in Putney.

      Nathaniel FRENCH was one of the early settlers in the town of Brattleboro, on the road running south of the MILLER farm, and by what was known as the Peter WILLARD tavern. One of his eleven children, William, was killed at Westminster court-house, March 13, 1775. Another, Nathaniel, Jr., settled in Dummerston, on the farm owned by Henry H. NORCROSS, where he lived and died. He was born November 17, 1789, and married Sally WALKER, of Dummerston, who was born March 15, 1790. He lived on the old homestead until all of his eight children were born, after which he lived on the west side of West river. He was killed by the fall of a tree, September 8, 1854. Three of his children survive him, Harriet, who lives where her father died, Almira, in Putney, and Chester W., who was born in Dummerston, February 12, 1819, and married Mary FOSTER of that town, in Vernon, to which town he removed in 1870.

      Samuel MORSE came to Dummerston in 1801. He married Mercie VAIL and located on the farm now occupied by his grandson, Francis H., son of John H. MORSE, the latter of whom was born in 1814, and married Eliza S. NICHOLS, in 1858. Francis H. served three years in the war of the rebellion, and was present at the taking of Richmond. His brother, John F., was also a soldier and died in the army in 1863.

      Wilson HADLEY, son of Benjamin and Abigail (SPAULDING) HADLEY, was born in 18i0, on the farm on which he now lives, on road 56, school district 2. He married Olive BRYANT of Dummerston, and has three children, Clarissa, Mrs. Geo. J. Bond, of Searsburg, Vt., and George D. and Ellen L., the latter a school teacher, who are living at home.

      William O. MILLER, son of William and Esther MILLER, was born on the MILLER homestead in 1816. His mother was a daughter of Joel WELLMAN. He has been constable and collector about forty years, and postmaster twenty-two years. He married Julia J., daughter of Ira and Jemima (Ward) HAVEN, and has three sons, one of whom, William D., was graduated from WILLIAMS college in the class of 1882.

      Enos LEONARD was born in Westford, Mass., April 29, 1784. He married Matilda KEEP, January 7, 1817, and soon after came to Vermont. He spent about a year in Dover, when, in 1818, he bought the place, on road 38, now occupied by his grandson, W. B. LEONARD, where he died in 1866, aged eighty-two years, and his widow in 1877, aged eighty-eight years. The fruit of this wedded life was five children, three of whom died in infancy. The youngest son, John Keep LEONARD, spent his life upon the homestead and became a prominent and respected citizen. He was for a number of -years a justice of the peace, and was chosen to represent the town in -the legislature of 1867-'68. He was for several years a deacon of the Baptist church, which position he held at his death, March 1, 1875, at the age of forty-six years. His wife was Mary, daughter of James MILLER, who bore him two sons, J. Franklin and Willie B. The former died in 1875; the latter occupies the paternal homestead.

      John GREENWOOD, from Millbury, Mass., went to Stratton, Vt., about 1788 or 1790. In 1822 he exchanged his farm in Stratton for one on the site of the village of West Dummerston and removed to it. He raised seven children, all of whom became members of the Baptist church. Deacon John GREENWOOD, of West Dummerston, one of the younger sons, is the only survivor. His residence occupies a part of the farm where his father spent his later years. He was born in Stratton in 1807, and in 1830 married Betsey, daughter of David BELKNAP, one of Dummerston's pioneers. He has been a liberal supporter of the Baptist church, which he joined at the age of nine years, and of which he has been a deacon since 1863.

      Gardner S. KATHAN was born in Dummerston in 1821. He married Elizabeth WELLMAN, who bore him a son and a daughter, and died in 1858. In 1868 he married Martha E. LANE, of Putney, who bore him a daughter in 1870. His mother, Jerusha KATHAN, resides with him on road 15, school district 4.

      Willard DODGE was born in 1813. At the age of fifteen he took the farm of Deacon Ira HAVENs to work on shares for three years. He subsequently worked the Margaret BOYDEN farm for ten years. He married Zilphia TEMPLE, who has borne him four sons and four daughters, and is now a farmer on road 4. His father, Josiah DODGE, who was born in New Hampshire, in 1778, and married Phebe KATHAN, widow of W. WILDER, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was shot through the hand at the battle of Plattsburgh. He died of lock-jaw in 1815.

      George WARRICK was born in Shuckburgh, Warwick county, England, and married Emily E. BLOXHAM, of Leamington, in the same county, in 1866. He emigrated to America in 1869, and after a residence of three years in Putney, bought the farm on Mount View, in Dummerston, where he now resides.

      Whitney TENNEY, son of Calvin and Betsey (WOODBURN) TENNEY, of Windham, was born in 1836, and married Sarah H. PAGE in 1855. He lived seven years in Nashua, N. H., six in Windham, Vt., two in Lynn, Mass., and one in Chester. He came to Dummerston in 1882.

      Joel WELLMAN Jr., son of Joel and Esther (FARR) WELLMAN, was born in 1794 and died in 1874. He married Fanny M. DUNCAN, who bore him two sons and six daughters, among whom is Evaline D., widow of William H. GREENWOOD, (who was killed in Mexico in 1880,) who resides with her mother in the paternal homestead.

      Abram HOUGHTON, from Bolton, Mass., was a Revolutionary soldier and was present at Braddock's defeat. He settled in Putney, and married Sarah DIVALL. His son Henry married Sally PERRY, of Putney, and had three sons and three daughters, of whom Don A., who married Emily R., daughter of Luther MILLER, resides in Dummerston.

      Alvin KNAPP was born in Dummerston in 1781 and died in 1850. He married Rinda FULLER, of Putney, in 1807, and had one son, Milton I., who was born in 1808. The latter married Sarah WHEELER, who had two sons and a daughter; Sarah S., Mrs. R. M. WILLIAMS, of Brattleboro; Alvin, born in 1850, a physician and dental surgeon, who graduated from the Fort Wayne college of medicine, and in dentistry from Michigan university; and Wheeler W., who was born in 1852, and resides with his father in the north part of the town.

      Lewis ALLEN was born in Rehoboth, Mass., in 1766, and married Lydia INGALLS, who bore him four sons and seven daughters. His son Luther, who was born in 1792, married Mary O. DICKINSON in 1816, and had four sons and two daughters. Pamelia E. married Nelson WILLARD, and Mary O., who was born in 1826, became the wife of John R. PITKINS.

      Benjamin FOSTER was born at Hanover, N. H., in 1803. He was graduated at Amherst college and entered the ministry at Salisbury, N. H. He married Mary JOHNSON, widow of George PERRY, of Manchester, Mass., and had one daughter, Nellie F. He took charge of Congregational church at Dummerston in 1846, and died much respected in 1867.

      Benjamin BUFFUM was born in RICHMOND, N. H., April 2, 1821, and removed to Winchester at the age of nineteen. He married Almira CUNNINGHAM and had three sons and two daughters, of whom Arthur M. now resides upon road 53.

      Thomas P. MORSE, son of Ephraim M. and Polly (COOK) MORSE, was born in 1817, and was thrice married, first to Martha Kelsey INGHAM, second to Mary Alden ADAMS, and third Mary LANE, daughter of George LANE, of Putney. He and his second wife's son, S. L. ADAMS, live together on road 46, and are successful farmers.

      Frank A. JOHNSON, son of Ransom and Nancy (KILLIAN) JOHNSON, enlisted in Co. A, 3d Vt. Vols. and served three years. He married Emogene E. BEMIS in 1867, and now resides on road 51.

      Moses ROEL was born in Oxford, N. H., in 1781. In 1808 he married Olly FRENCH, of Dummerston, and located where his son, Chas. G. ROEL, now lives on Dummerston Hill. He had six sons and four daughters, two of whom, Edson M. and Charles G., are now living. Charles G. was born March 4, 1822, and married Julia A. WARD, who died in 1858. He married the same year Marcia M. WELLMAN. He is a successful farmer and has been selectman for nine years.

      Densmore W. BLOOD, son of Peter and Irene (FISHER) BLOOD, was born in Putney in 1839. In 1863 he married Lorinda O. BRAGG of Westminster, and in 1869 he came to Dummerston, locating on the old DUNCAN homestead on road 28.

      Lewis C. COMBS, son of George W. and Abigail (BAKER) COMBS, was born in Winchester, N. H., in 1843. In 1862 he enlisted in, Co. C, 14th N. H. Vols., and served three years, till the close of the war. He participated in the battles of Winchester, Cedar Creek, Fisher's Hill, and many others, and was wounded in the second engagement. In 1870 he married Charlotte NORCROSS, and now resides on the BELKNAP homestead, in the northerly part of the town.

      Asa DUTTON, son of Asa and Mary Day DUTTON, of Chesterfield, N. H., was born on his grandfather's farm, in 1822. In 1861 he married Mary L., daughter of Joel WELLMAN. His widow, and daughter Eva M., reside on the old homestead, where he died in 1878.

      Stephen L DUTTON, brother of Asa DUTTON, was born in 1827. He married Electa SARGENT, of Brattleboro, who died in 1876. He is a civil engineer and surveyor, and resides on road 55, in the south part of the town. He was town auditor for eighteen years, and town representative in 1869, '70, '72 and '80.

      Addison B. KNAPP, son of Gardner and Fanny (TAFT) KNAPP, was born in 1824, and in 1848 married Harriet Field. Ed. J. KNAPP, a merchant in Townshend, is a son of his, and Mrs. Frank CHURCHILL, of the same town, is a daughter. Luella F. KNAPP, residing on the FOSTER homestead, is another daughter.

      James SARGENT was a soldier and pensioner of the war of 1812. He married Polly BURNHAM, by whom he had two sons and three daughters. His widow, who is also the widow of William BEMIS, is still living at the age of eighty-three years, with her daughter Sarah, who was born in 1833, and was married first to Benjamin Ray, who died in 1856, and in 1858, to G. W. TAYLOR.

      Anthony L. HUNTLEY, son of Lyman and Lydia (BENNETT) HUNTLEY, of Putney, married Maria Jane, daughter of Jonas WALKER, arad resides on the homestead of his grandfather, Elder Jonathan HUNTLEY.

      Chauncey JILLSON, son of Sylvester and Hannah (REED) JILLSON, was born in Marlboro, in 1811, and in 1838 married- Electa HORTON, of Brattleboro, by whom he had four sons and one daughter. One son, John S., was a member of Co. F, 1st. Vt. Cavalry, and served during the war of the rebellion. His other surviving children are George S., Julia E., widow of Carter F. NORCROSS, now the wife of Chester BELKNAP, and Luther C., who married Mary L. WELD, and resides on road 6.

      Samuel C. BETTERLY, son of Chester H. and Sophia B. (NICHOLS) BETTERLY, was born in 1852, married Etta M. JONES, of Newfane, in 1874, and now resides on the BIXBY farm, on road 61; on Dummerston Hill.

      S. W. ESTEY, son of Bartlet ESTEY, was born in Hinsdale in 1837. He removed to Brattleboro, where he married Malonna GRAY, and resided until 1861, in which year he enlisted in Co. F, 4th Vt. Vols., serving three years. He was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness. He is at present a prosperous farmer and merchant, on road 60, and has been postmaster of West Dummerston for three years.

      Franklin BUTTERFIELD, son of Luke BUTTERFIELD, was born in 1809, and married Mary HOLLAND, who bore him three sons and a daughter, of whom John F., born in 1837, married Eliza J., daughter of J. W. CHAMBERLAIN, in 1873, and resides on road 65.

      John T. COOPER, son of Russell COOPER, was born in Dover in 1841, and married Lorend I., daughter of John LAZELLE of that town, in 1862. He was a member of Co. F, 16th Vt. Vols., and was wounded in the hand and knee at the battle of Gettysburg.

      Lewis H. LYNDE, son of Daniel and Tamson (McCLURE) LYNDE, was born in 1841. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. F, 4th Vt. Vols. He was a sergeant, and served three years. He was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness. In 1864 he married Emma R. GATES, of Dummerston, and is now town representative.

      Oscar L. F. BENNETT, son of Orren L., married Lydia HERRICK, of Dummerston, in 1852, and resides on road 19 He is a selectman.

      J. Armes MILLER, son of Joseph, married Sarah M. REED, of Wardsboro, in 1871, and resides on the REED homestead, on road 12.

      Erastus T. CORSER, son of Josiah and Prudence (HEATH) CORSER, was born in 1812, and married Harriet BIGSBEE, of Springfield, and after her death, Lucy AYER, of Rockingham. In 1868 he bought the Underwood farm. He is a breeder of fine Merino sheep, and an extensive dealer in cattle, sheep, and wool. He resides on road 17.

      Wm. H. GREENWOOD was born in Dublin, N. H., March 27, 1832. Quite early in life he determined to be a civil engineer, and in 1850 he entered Norwich University, graduating in 1852. He was engaged in railroad engineering until the commencement of the late war. In January, 1862, he enlisted in the 51st Ill. Vols. as 1st lieutenant and became captain May 9, 1863. He was selected by Gen. ROSENCRANS to organize a topographical engineer service, and was ordered to report to Gen. STANLEY, then in command of the cavalry of the army of the Cumberland. As lieutenant-colonel and inspector he continued with that command until the close of the war, and received commendatory notice from its commandant. In 1865, while still in the service of the government, he rebuilt the Gulf and San Antonio railroad. In 1867 he was appointed chief engineer of the Kansas Pacific railroad, which position he resigned in the summer of 1870. He then accepted an appointment as general manager of the Denver and Rio Grande railroad, resigning this position in 1874. After a residence of two years in Vermont (1875 and '77), and one (1876) in Philadelphia, in 1878 he took charge of the construction railroad now operated by the Denver and Rio Grande Company. In 1879 he was in charge of the construction of the Marion and McPherson railroad in Kansas, and in 1880 he took charge as chief engineer of the surveys for the Mexican National railway. In August of the latter year, while on his way to the capital to spend the Sabbath with his family, he was waylaid and murdered by Mexicans, whose cupidity the excellent qualities of his horse had excited, while stopping at a wayside inn for refreshments. His body was interred in the American cemetery of the Mexican capital, September r, 1880, and in May, 1882, was removed to Dummerston, where a beautiful granite monument marks his final resting-place. May 19, 1857, Col. GREENWOOD married Evalina D., daughter of Joel and Fanny M. (DUNCAN) WELLMAN, who requited his affection as a husband with a wifely devotion of equal ardor.

      John BRADLEY was a poor boy and was brought up by a merchant in Worcester, Mass., till he was sixteen years of age, when he entered the army as a waiter. He afterwards became a soldier and served through the war for independence under Lafayette. After the close of the war he married Elizabeth COWDEN, of Worcester, Mass., and moved to Newfane, where he bought and cleared wild land, making himself a home about one and one-half miles northwest of the village. There he lived and brought up eleven children. He died in Jamaica, aged about eighty-five years. Calvin K. BRADLEY, now living on road 12 in Dummerston, aged eighty-one years, is the youngest of seven sons and the only one living. Elizabeth BROWN is the only surviving daughter. Calvin K. married Sally TEMPLE, a granddaughter of Joseph TEMPLE, who cleared up the farm on which they now live in Dummerston. He was a native of Worcester, Mass., and drew the land in a lottery which was instituted for the purpose of raising money to build highways and a meeting-house in Dummerston. The farm is now owned by Mrs. Augusta BENNETT, the daughter of Calvin K. and Sally T. BRADLEY. Mrs. G. C. WORDEN, of Dover, is the youngest of their family of ten children. Alonzo BRADLEY, residing on road 12, in Dummerston, is their only surviving son. Louisa S. HALLIDAY, of Guilford, is their eldest daughter.

      Charles C. HOWARD, of Dummerston, was born in Jamaica, and the youngest of ten children of Banyard HOWARD, the first child born in Jamaica, who established a cloth mill near the old cemetery on West river in that town, and also owned one in the village. Charles C. was brought up in this business and that of farming. In April, 1851, he married Mary BROWN. They have two sons, Arthur C., who is superintendent of the Patterson organ factory in Bridgeport, Conn., and Herbert C., who resides with his father on road 49.

      Ira ORMSBEE was born in Putney, Vt., in 18i0. His father, Christopher ORMSBEE, died when he was but four years of age, and he was brought up by Joel WELLMAN of Dummerston. At the age of seventeen he began to learn the blacksmith trade, and soon after completing his apprenticeship he bought a shop at Slab Hollow, and began business for himself. In 1833 he built the brick shop now owned by his son Charles, and continued the business there until his death in April, 1881. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph MILLER, Sen., and raised ten children, five of whom are now living, Charles and Emily, (Mrs. D. W. GATES,) in Dummerston, and Albert F., Leslie, and Julia, in Westfield, Mass.

      Sylvester MAY, the third son of Lyman MAY, was born in Wardsboro. At the age of four years his father died, after which he was brought up by Simeon ADAMS, of that town. In 1852 he married Mary POND, of Wardsboro, resulting in the birth of seven sons and one daughter. He died in November, 1868, aged forty years. His widow resides in Dummerston, and Mary A., their daughter, in New HAVEN, Conn.; Simeon S., in Granville, Mich.; Herbert, in East Manville, Mich; Henry F., in Edinbury, N. Y.; Charlie E. and Samuel L., in Hinsdale, N. H.; Walter, in Vernon; and Willie L., in Dummerston.

      The Congregational church, located in the central part of the town, was organized by. its first pastor, Rev. Joseph FARRAR, August 18, 1779, with the following named members: James HOLLAND, Aaron BROOKS, John FRENCH, Amos RICE, Mary FRENCH, Sarah TOWN, Joseph TEMPLE, John CRAWFORD, Joseph TEMPLE, Jr., Joseph HILDRETH, Sarah HOLTON, and Hannah BROOKS. The first church building was commenced in 1773. The present building, a wood structure capable of seating 400 persons, and valued at $3,000.00, was built in 1842. The society now has 107 members, with Rev. Josiah MERRILL, pastor. 

      The Baptist church, located at West Dummerston, was organized by Rev. Mr. GODDARD, in 1798, the first pastor being Rev. Mr. FREEMAN. After a few years he was succeeded by Elder Jonathan HUNTLEY, under whose ministration the church was greatly prospered. In 1816 there were ninety-six persons baptized through the ice. The society's meetings were held in dwellings, barns, and school-houses until 1802, when the first house of worship was built. The building erected in Guilford but not finished, was purchased by the society, taken down and re-erected in West Dummerston. The building was of white oak timber and is the same now used as a store by J. E. TOWNSEND. Their present house of worship was built of wood in 1860. It will seat 250 persons, cost about $2,000.00, its present value. They also have a parsonage worth $1, 200.00. The present preaching supply is by Rev. C. R. POWERS, of West Brattleboro.

Gazetteer and Business Directory of 
Windham County, Vt., 1724-1884.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child,
Printed At The Journal Office, Syracuse, N. Y., July, 1884.
Page 169-183

Transcribed by Karima Allison ~2004