first tavern keeper in the
East Village was a Mr. Butterfield. He
was followed by Capt.
James Taggart, who kept a good house in the brick
building which was long after known as the Ranney residence. Before
it was converted into a private residence, Chester Rand kept a hotel, then
following Capt. Taggart who, after selling out to Rand, built the present
hotel now kept by O.F. Coombs. Taggart had just completed his new
hotel when Daniel Webster spoke on the political issues of the day in 1840,
on Stratton mountain, to the people of
Vermont living both sides of the
Green mountains. Webster stopped over night with Capt. Taggart on his way
to Stratton. This is the only hotel in the town to-day, and has been
occupied by the following inn-keepers after Taggart; Abner Johnson, Allen,
again, Thomas Evans, R.M. Flint, Holbrook and Burke,
C.H. Willard and the
present occupant, O.F. Coombs.
entire chapter was transcribed by Cherryl Ball from:
Historical Gazetteer a local History of all the Towns in the State,
Educational, Biographical, Religious and Military.
of Windham County.
by Abby Maria Hemenway.
by Mrs. Carrie E. H. Page, Brandon, VT. 1891.