John Hazelton was a son of Paul Hazeltine
and grandson of Col. John Hazeltine. We have the doctor’s autograph
and give his spelling of his surname.
In July, 1775, Dr. Hazelton owned and
lived upon the farm where John Sanderson resides. His house and office
stood on the old road leading to Windam. The house was built in 1785.
His first wife was Lieut. Amzi Doolittle’s sister, by whom he had 12 children:
seven died in infancy and two others did not attain the age of 10 years.
His second wife was Dr. Nathan Week’s sister: children 5.
During six months of the year 1781,
he served as surgeon of Col. Fletcher’s regiment of State troops, and attended
upon the garrisons at Castleton and Pittsford. He represented this
town in the General Assembly of 1791,
’94 and ’95. He died in Manchester,
Waitstill R. Ranney moved his family
from Chester, Vt., to this village in 1814, and lived here till the fall
of 1815, then he went to Wardsboro and resided until he came back here
in the spring of 1820. In
1822 he moved from the village to the farm
purchased about that time of Ezekiel Ransom. He lived on this farm
until 1837, when he removed to the village of East Townshend and lived
there the remainder of his days. He was married twice and had by
his first wife 13 children who survived him. He represented Townshend
in the constitutional convention of 1828, and General Assembly of 1833,
and was one of the senators from this county in the Legislatures of 1836,
-’37,-’38. He was elected lieutenant-governor of the State.
As before stated, the children of Dr.
were thirteen in number, all of whom the father gave a liberal education.
They were as follows: Dr. Evander W. who settled in practice and
died in New York city, Darwin W. who became a teacher and afterwards a
minister and died in
Brattleboro, Stella L. wife of Capt. Sheron Gray,
who settled and died in Townshend,
Alfred A. died in Colorado, Dr. Henry
D. now of New York,
Dr. Lafayette settled and died in New York, Amborse,
a lawyer of Boston, and at one time member of the national legislature,
Dr. Stephen E. now of Bennington, Dr. James W. who died in New York.
Helen L. wife of a Mr.
Bottom of Shaftsbury now dead. Frances L.
also married a Mr.
Bottom of Shaftsbury now dead. Dr. Martin L. now
a physician in New York city, and Mary A. now dead, who married a lawyer
in New York.
Moses Chamberlain commenced practice
here in February, 1834. He moved to Jamaica after living here about
one year, and died in that town. His wife was a daughter of Benjamin
Felton, Esq., Anson L. Pettee moved his family in the spring of 1835,
and occupied the house that had just been vacated by Dr. Chamberlain.
William M. Sadd opened his office here in the fall of 1837. Near
the close of 1842 he sold out to John Bement, and left town in 1843; he
married a daughter of William Parkhurst, and now resides at Claremont,
Dana Hyde. Before removing here
from Wardsboro, in 1845, he had gained and ever after maintained the reputation
of a well instructed practitioner. His wife was a daughter of William
Gregory of East Guilford. In 1826 and 27 he represented Guilford,
his native town, in the General Assembly; and was Judge of Probate for
the district of Marlboro in 1837 and ’38. On his way home from a
number of professional visits in Jamaica and
Wardsboro, he and his son
William were drowned while fording the stream below
North Wardsboro, in
John W. Gray. Not long after
receiving the degree of Doctor of medicine, he came here in
After staying about a year he moved his family to Bennington, Vt.
The following Drs. have practiced medicine and lived in this part of the
town: Chamberlain, Ranney, Silas Clark, Charles
Clark, Acherson Allen,