XX indexVermont  




Newport is a very irregularly outlined town located in the center of the northern line of the county, in lat. 44º 55' and long. 4º 40’ bounded north by the Canada line, east by the waters of Lake Memphremagog and the towns of Coventry and Irasburgh, south by Coventry Gore, and west by Troy.  It was granted by the State, as a township of 23,040 acres, October 26, 1781, though its charter was not issued until October 30, 1802, giving to Nathan Fisk and George Duncan under the name of Duncansboro, all that tract of land bounded as follows: 

    Beginning at a beech tree standing on the west side of a hemlock ridge, on the north line of this State, marked 'Duncansboro, 1789'; thence running south 82º 29' east, three miles and forty-two chains to the western shore of Lake Memphremagog; thence southerly along the shore of said lake about three and one-half miles, to a red ash tree standing in a swamp; thence south 36º west, seven miles and forty-nine chains to a stake by a birch tree marked ‘Duncansboro,1789', standing near a small brook running south; thence north 82º 20' west, two miles and thirty-five chains to a beech tree marked Duncansboro, October 24, 1789, on flat land; thence north 20º east, ten miles and eleven chains to the first bound."

       In 1816, November 16, a small part of Coventry and of Salem was annexed to this territory and the name of the town changed from Duncansborough to Newport. The portion annexed from Salem included the site of the present village of Newport. 

       The surface of the town is comparatively level, there being many hills but few prominent elevations, though the township, scenographically, is second to none in the State, as the beauty of Lake Memphremagog amply compensates for whatever may be lacking in the way of sublime mountains and picturesque glens. The soil is mostly a gravelly loam, with clay in some parts, while the point upon which the village stands is sandy. Cultivation of the soil is amply rewarded in nearly all the grains and grasses indigenous to the latitude, while grazing and stock raising is fairly remunerative. A considerable branch of the Missisquoi and several small streams falling in the lake drain and irregate the territory. Black river also enters the lake in the extreme eastern part of the town, near the village. 

       Most of the rocks entering into the geological structure of the town are of the talcose schist formation, The whole eastern part of the territory, however, is composed of clay slate and limestone. A small bed of granite, also, is found in the northern part of the town, and veins of quartz abound in some places. Some of this quartz is gold-bearing to a small degree, while copper veins of considerable magnitude are numerous. Specimens of argentiferous galena have been found in the northern part of the town, containing by analysis twenty-three percent of silver. The timber is of the usual hardwood varieties, interspersed with hemlock, pine, etc. Ample means of transportation are afforded by the Missisquoi & Clyde Rivers Railroad, (operated by the Southeastern Railway,) with stations at Newport and Newport Center, and by the Connecticut & Passumpsic Rivers Railroad, with a station at Newport village. 

       In 1880,  Newport had a population of 2,426, and in 1882, was divided into fifteen school districts, and contained, fifteen common schools, employing three male and twenty-seven female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary of $3,370.58. There were 610 pupils attending common school, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st, was $3,793.85, with C. A. Prouty, superintendent. 

       Newport is a beautiful incorporated village and railroad station situated in the eastern part of the town, upon a point or peninsula extending into Lake Memphremagog.  It contains five churches, (Baptist, Congregational, Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Episcopal), two large hotels, a well conducted bank, several manufacturing establishments, twenty-five stores of various kinds, three livery stables, eight lawyers, six physicians, one dentist, and from twelve to fifteen hundred inhabitants. 

       The village is well known as a popular summer resort, and aside from the many natural attractions it presents, few large cities are provided with such good sanitary improvements as it can boast. It has an excellent supply of pure, cold spring water, while its drainage is complete. Many tasteful, elegant residences adorn its broad, well-kept streets, and a general air of taste, elegance and good order prevails. Yet in 1854, when George C. Merrill came here, there were only eleven buildings in what is now included in the corporation limits,—two stores, one hotel, and eight dwellings, while the whole population consisted of the families of Orville and Moses Robinson, George W. Smith, Levi Fielding, Benjamin Moss, Jonathan Randall, Phineas Page, and —— Bauchman. 

       The village environs for many miles around, afford interesting drives, over smooth, well-kept roads; but the principal attraction is Lake Memphremagog.  Even the untutored savages recognized its superior beauty, christening it “beautiful water," or Memphremagog. It is from one to four miles in width and a little over thirty-three miles in length, about one-fifth of it, only, lying in the State. Newport lies at its head, the outlet being at Magog, P.Q., to which daily trips are made by the steamers, “Lady of the Lake” and “Mountain Maid,” during the season.  The lake's silvery waters, or in winter its crystal surface, were a favorite pathway of the  Indian in early times, and over its bosom many war parties and many luckless captives have glided in the birch canoe. During the old French war,  General Stark, who was commander of our forces at the battle of Bennington, was carried over it a prisoner of war, and afterwards made a map of the country through which he passed. 

       The finest point of view is at Prospect hill, in the western suburbs of the village, which commands an extensive prospect, taking in the lake, the fine scenery of the surrounding towns, the valleys of Barton and Black rivers, and Coventry bay. Here are located the extensive grounds and fine summer residence of Mr. Emmons Raymond, comprising an area of twenty-seven acres, containing the village reservoir and a fine pine grove. Mr. Raymond has also in process of erection a large green-house, which he intends to stock with a choice collection of plants. 

       The construction of the water-works was begun in 1863, for the purpose of supplying the Memphremagog House. Water was brought from springs in Salem, (since annexed to Derby,) in iron pipes through the lake.  In 1877, the reservoir above mentioned was built, giving a fine head of water. It is oval in, form, 30 x 60 feet and ten feet deep. There are now about sixty-five families supplied, in addition to, the Memphremagog and Bellevue hotels, the railroad depot, and tanks for supplying locomotives. The works are the property of Mr. Raymond, who has made a large outlay in their construction. 

       The Memphremagog House, is an elegantly appointed hotel, built soon after the completion of the Passumpsic railroad to Newport. It has since been extensively enlarged and remodeled, however, being now a handsome, commodious structure four stories in height with a basement and French roof. Surrounding it is an extensive shaded lawn reaching to the lake shore. The National Bank of Newport and B.E. Shaw's jewelry store are located on the ground floor of the building, fronting Main street, while the South Eastern railway and the International Company have officers in the basement. The hotel is owned by the Passumpsic Railroad Company, and operated by Mr.W.F. Bowman, as manager, a gentleman of most genial and courtly manner sand possessed of large experience in hotel business. 

       The Bellevue House, located on Main street opposite the Memphremagog House, was built about 1871, by Horace Bean. It is a three story brick structure, with a basement and French roof. All the appointments are elegant and modern, adapted especially to the comfort and convenience of its guests, of which it can accommodate seventy-five. Mr. E. Knowlton makes a most urbane host, the institution being the property of Mr. J. Drew of St. Johnsbury,Vt. 

       The National Bank of Newport was incorporated March 19, 1875, and the certificate of the comptroller of the currency, dated May 17, 1875, with a capital of $100,000 and Lucius Robinson, J. E. Dickerman, Elisha Lane, William S. Foster, William G. Elkins, directors; and Lucius Robinson, who continued to hold the position until his death, June 8, 1882, president; and C.W.Scott, who held that position until December 1, 1877, cashier. The present board of directors are as follows: Elisha Lane, F. M. Sherman, William S. Foster, William G. Elkins, and John L. Edwards. President, Elisha Lane, who was elected to succeed L. Robinson; vice-president, F. M. Sherman, the office being created June 12, 1882; cashier, Robert J. Wright, from December 1, 1877. The bank has a surplus fund of $20,000.00. 

       The Newport Academy and Graded School, located on the west side of School street, was incorporated by an act of the legislature, approved November 24, 1874. It is divided into four grades, High, Grammar, Intermediate, and Primary, with appropriate courses of study for each grade, examinations for promotion occurring at the close of each school year. The institution is now in successful operation, under the principalship of Mr.L.M.Jenne, a thorough and practical teacher of ten years' experience.T.Grout, Esq., Rev. B.W. Atwell, and C.A. Prouty, constitute the board of trustees. Commanding a fine view of the surrounding lake and mountain scenery, together with the healthful location and the picturesque situation of the thriving village, Newport Academy has one of, if not the best, situations of any school building in the State. It will accommodate 200 pupils, and has a hall occupying one entire floor, where the pupils meet for rhetorical exercises, etc. A basement will be put under the building this summer (1883), to contain an improved furnace whereby the building may be warmed to a uniform temperature, and at the same time a ventilating system will be introduced, insuring perfect ventilation. 

       Newport Center is a thriving little post village and station on the South Eastern railway, located in the central part of the town.  It contains two churches (Free Will Baptist and Methodist Episcopal), a hotel, five grocery stores, a steam saw-mill, shingle-mill, three blacksmith shops, three carriage shops, three cabinet shops, one harness shop, and about fifty dwellings. Situated in the midst of a beautiful valley, surrounded by excellent farming lands, it must of necessity increase in proportions and importance. Mud creek, with its tributaries, waters this section of the town. It flows a northwesterly course into Troy. 

       Batesville, is a hamlet located in the eastern part of the town a little north of Newport village. It consists of a veneer manufactory, basket factory and fourteen dwellings. 

       Memphremagog Veneer Works, Frank E. Bates, proprietor, located at Batesville, were established by John A. Butler, Jr., in January, 1880.  Mr. Bates does an extensive business, employing about fifty men. 

       Prouty & Miller's steam saw-mill, located at Newport village, was established by Stimson & Co. in 1862. This firm does a business of about $60,000.00 per year employing fifty men. 

       W.H. Willey's steam saw-mill, located on road 14, was built in 1879. It is operated by a sixty-five horse-power engine, with capacity for cutting 2500 feet of lumber every twenty-four hours. During the summer season the help is engaged in manufacturing packing boxes, in which 1,000,000 feet of lumber will be used this season (1883). The firm employs thirty hands. 

       J.H. Crawford's shingle-mill, located at Newport Center, wag built by Thomas Reagan, about 1872. It is operated by water-power, having the capacity for cutting 1,000,000 shingles per year. 

       Chandler, French & Co.'s steam saw-mill, located on road 26, was built in 1882. The mill is operated by a forty horse-power engine, employs twelve men and cuts about 12,000 feet of lumber per day. 

       Thomas B. Alexander's steam saw-mill, located on road 12 corner of 11, was built in 1877. It is operated by a thirty horse-power engine, employs ten men, and has the capacity for cutting 10,000 feet of lumber and 15,000 to 30,000 shingles per day. 

       Although the town was not chartered until 1802, settlement was commenced here as early as 1793. During that year two brothers, Calender and Dea. Martin Adams started through the forest from St. Johnsbury, with their young wives, making their way by means of marked trees to Barton Landing. Here they constructed rafts or canoes and embarked with all their earthly possessions, following Barton river to the lake. Arriving at the little bay near when W. A. Himes now resides, it is said, they became impressed with the fact that the frost had not destroyed the vegetation in that vicinity, while on the hills around everything had been destroyed by the cold, and here disembarked their miniature fleet and commenced the first settlement in Newport. These brothers were soon followed by other settlers, so that in 1800, there were eleven families in the town, viz.: John Prouty, Nathaniel Daggett, Abel Parkhurst, Amos Sawyer, Luther Chapin, James C. Adams, Abraham Horton, Nathaniel Horton, Simon Carpenter, Enos Barlett, and Joseph Page. Martin Adams having in the meantime removed to Stanstead, P.Q., where he remained a few years and then returned to Newport. 

       There were sixty acres of land cleared, six yoke of oxen in the town, but no horses. The town was organized and the first town meeting held, March 11th of this year, when James C. Adams was chosen moderator; Amos Sawyer, town clerk; Enos Bartlett, James C. Adams, and Amos Sawyer, selectman; Luther Chapin, constable and collector; Amos Sawyer, James C. Adams, and Enos Bartlett, listers; Amos Bartlett, grand juror; Enos Bartlett and Nathaniel Daggett, surveyors of highways; James C. Adams, pound keeper; Simon Carpenter, fence viewer and hayward; and Amos Sawyer, sealer of weights and measures. The first justice of the peace and first representative was Luther Chapin, elected in 1800. The first birth recorded is that of Allen Adams, December 29, 1794, though Orville Daggett is said to have been born here previous to that date. The first clearing begun where Newport Center now is, was made by H. & A. Adams and D. & S. Meacham. Here they constructed a dam and put up a saw-mill, the first brought to the town, though it had previously been used for a few years on a small stream that enters the lake near the Kendall place. When the mill was completed and the workman had gone home, the Messrs Adams went to Seymour Lane's place to attend a vendue sale, leaving their wives and children in a log house they had constructed near the mill. During the night the house took fire and burned to the ground, the inmates escaping with barely clothing enough to cover their nakedness. They took refuge in the mill until morning, then made their way through the forest to the nearest neighbors, where Leon Field now resides, a distance of two miles. The first marriage recorded is that of Thomas Devenport and Hannah Blanchard, both of Potton, P.Q., by Luther Chapin, Esq., January 8, 1801. The following is a copy of the record of the first death: 

   Polly Chapin died July 7, 1808, sun one hour high in the morning, aged twenty-five years, one month, and eighteen days.”

       The first physician in the town was a man by the name of Morgan, coming here among the early settlers and remaining until his death, which occurred at an early day. The next, physician who attended the inhabitants was a Dr. Newcomb, who resided in Derby Center. When his services were required, some person would cross the lake in a boat, return with the Doctor, and when his visit was completed take him home in the same manner. Most of the settlers paid $3.00 an acre for their land, which they purchased principally of Judge Sawyer, of Hyde Park. 

       The nearest post office was Brownington, where Amherst Stewart, father of Judge Edward A. Stewart, was postmaster. There were no roads built for a long time, the several streams emptying into the lake being used as thoroughfares until the more settled regions were reached.  The first road extended from Daggett's farm to North Troy, built for military purposes during the war of 1812. The first ferry was kept by Enos Bartlett, at Indian Point, and afterwards by Azarias Whipple. The first store was kept by Sanger Grow, near where the first settlement was made. The next was kept by Hiram Lane. The first lawyer was Charles Robinson, cousin of the late Lucius Robinson. 

       John Prouty, the first of the name who came here, was born at Spencer, Mass., in 1747, and came here in 1799. He twice married, his first wife dying before he came to the town. By this marriage he had four children, John, Phineas, Levi and Lucy. John settled in Schenectady, N.Y., Phineas in Geneva, N.Y., and Levi enlisted in the war of 1812, and was never heard of after. For his second wife Mr. Prouty married Alice, sister of Nathaniel Daggett, by whom he had seven children, viz.: Sally, Arnold, Laura, William, Emily, Roswell and Alfred, of whom only the two latter are now living, Roswell in this town, and Alfred in the town of Waterford, near St. Johnsbury, Vt. Arnold married Sally, daughter of Dea. Martin Adams, reared eight children, William, Emily, Charles A., Rosella, John A., Lydia, Mary and Alfred, and died in January 1881, aged eighty-four years. Five of the children, William, Rosella, John A., Lydia and Alfred are living. 

       Nathaniel Daggett, John Prouty and John Baker came here about the same time in 1799, locating on the lake shore. Mr. Daggett, though he never was ordained, preached in the Baptist church, more or less for a great many years. He reared a family of twelve children, ten of whom were sons, and all of whom attained an advanced age. 

       George W. Smith is the first one who located where the village now is, it being then a heavy pine forest, of which many of the magnificent pines were burned by the settlers to “get them out of the way.”  He married Sally Sias, of West Derby, and had born to him eleven children, four of whom died in infancy. The others were named John, Edwin, Roxana, Lydia and Lucy, of whom John, Roxana (Mrs. Nathaniel Norris), Sophia (Mrs. George C. Merrill), and Lucy (Mrs. Wright Sherburne), are now living in the village, while Edwin lives in Burke, Lydia (Mrs. John  Pearl), in Sheffield, Vt., and Sarah (Mrs. Abel Humphrey), in Barton. Mr. Smith cut the first tree and built the first house in the corporation.  The house is still standing, in a fair state of preservation, the oldest house  in the town. 

       Gardner Green was born in Shipton, P.Q., in 1802, and came to Newport at an early day, locating about two miles west of the village when it had but two houses and a hotel. He married Betsey S. Green and reared three children, Florella E., Helen F., and Heza S.  Florella E. died at the age of seven years, and  Helen died in 1871, aged twenty-one years. Heza S. married Ellen J. Weld, daughter of Thomas Weld, of Coventry, and had three children, Hamilton H., Hattie E., and Arthur E. 

       Seymour Lane was born at Burlington, Vt., in February, 1788, his father having settled in that city, from Connecticut, when it consisted of two plank houses and log house. January 1, 1814, he married Hettie Robinson, and after a short period spent in Coventry, came to this town, in June, 1822. There were then only twenty-five houses in the town, while the only wagon was owned by John Baker, and even that would not now be considered worth $5.00. The only school-house was a log structure, with seats and desks made of slabs with stakes for legs. Oliver Bowley was the teacher, who received the princely salary of $5.00 per month and boarded himself, taking his pay in oats. Mr. Lane kept a public house here for many years, was the first Postmaster, was town clerk forty years, and filled various other of the town offices, dying in 1874. His children were George R., Henry, Harriet and Cephas R. born in Burlington, and Hiram, Augustus, and Elisha in this town, on the farm now owned by George R., who, with Augustus, now resides in the town.  Cephas R. located upon the farm now occupied by Augustus, and afterwards removed to Coventry, where he died November 9, 1865. He had four children, Seymour, Burrill, Elizabeth and Ida. Elizabeth married George C. Gilman, a merchant in Newport. Burrill married Lenora Brown and resides in the western part of the town. Seymour married Ellen Davis and carries on a mercantile business in Newport, residing in West Derby. 

       Oliver Bowley was born November 8, 1790, and came to this town, from Farlee, Vt., about 1823, locating on the lake shore. He taught the first school in the town, was married twice, reared a family of thirteen children, all by his first wife, and died April 18, 1875. His first wife, Eunice Grimes, died September 3, 1848. His second wife, Mary Wood, died January 23, 1868. Eleven of his children are now living, nine in this town. A.G. Bowley has been sheriff since 1877. 

       Nathaniel Morris was an early settler in Derby, having located on the lake shore, off road 41, in 1816. He was half owner of the ferry from Indian Point to the intersection of roads 8 and 16, in this town, for many years. Four of his sons are now living, William G., in Derby, Eliphalet S. and Nathaniel, Jr., in Newport, and Rufus L., in Canada. Nathaniel, Jr., worked at his trade of carpenter and joiner for a number of years, then, in 1856, purchased and cleared a lot on road 2, where he now resides. At the age of forty-five years, during the late civil war, he enlisted and served in the 15th Vt. Vols. 

       Edmund Sleeper came here, from Lyttleton, N.H., in 1825, locating on the Lake road, where he resided for a time, then removed to the Coburn farm, and finally located near the Center, where he died, in 1866. He married Miss Betsey Wheelock and reared seven children, viz.: Mrs. Dorothy Baker, Mrs. Ezra Sias, Mrs. Sylvester Drown, Mrs. Fred Shaw, George L., and Asa C.  George L. married Eliza Blake, of Derby, and has seven children, viz.: Carlos G., Willie E., Mrs. Dr. Erwin, Mrs. Buzzell, Nye and Nettie, (twins,) and George. He was the first Postmaster at the Center, having gotten up the petition which was instrumental in establishing the office, and now holds the position. He also built the hotel here, about eighteen years ago. 

       Israel Scott, born in Brighton, Mass., September 14, 1798, came to Newport in 1826, and located upon the farm now owned by James Maxfield. A small clearing had been made here, and he reclaimed the rest of the farm, and also cleared a farm where the village now is. On this latter lot of land he raised one year twenty acres of corn. It is said he also made the first trip from this town to Boston with butter and pork. His son, W.W. Scott, now lives on road 6, a portion of his farm being the same upon which his father first located. 

       Shuball Stevens, the twenty-third child of Samuel Stevens, was born in Amherst, N.,H,, in 1783, married Lydia C. Peck, of Grafton, N.H., 1811, and resided in Littleton, N.H., until 1828, then came to Newport with his family of five children and located upon the farm now owned by Willie Richmond. Of his sixteen children, only four are now living, John P., of Santa Barbara, Cal., Cyrus E., of Jonesbury, Mo., and Mrs. Lydia Brown, and Mrs. Mary Wright, of this town. 

       Daniel Bean was born at Sandwich, N.H., and immigrated to Coventry in 1831. He married Anna Willey, had nine children, Silas B., Malinda, Harrison, Estine, Charles, Temperance, Alzada, Ellen, and George,  and died in Coventry at the age of seventy-eight years. Silas B. has been twice married and has two children, Charles T. Bean, and George H. Newell, an adopted son. He was high sheriff of the county in 1858, deputy marshal until 1868, and has been deputy collector of customs since 1872. 

       Mrs. Thankful W. Stickney, who now lives in Potton, P.Q. is a daughter of Joshua Gerry, one of the pioneers of Bradford, Vt. She came to Newport in 1832, and was married by Seymour Lane, Esq., to Jonathan Stickney, a native of Lunenburgh, Vt.  They built a log house just over the line in Canada, on road 4, where they remained several years, then moved away and did not come back until 1849, locating where Mrs. Stickney now resides. Her husband was a victim of the late war. Their son, J.G. Stickney, who now resides on road 3, served in Co. D, 6thVt. Vols., and lost a leg at Charlestown, Va. 

       Timothy B. Pratt was born in Haverhill, N.H. July 1, 1807, and in 1833, came to Newport and located on road 6, where W.W. Scott now resides, and later removed to the place now occupied by W. Himes. He was one of the building committee to erect the first church in the town, a union structure, but now rebuilt and the property of the Baptist society. It was originally located on the Lake road, about a mile south of the cemetery. He was also one of the committee to build the present Congregational church, of which society he has been a deacon for many years. Mr. Pratt now resides at No. 40 Main street, aged seventy-six years. 

       Rufus Whipple, from Franconia, N.H., came here in 1832.,   By his wife, Philinda Oaks, he reared a family of six children, Simon, James H., Lucretia, R., Philinda, Mary and Nettie J.

       Benjamin Hoyt, from Danville, Vt., came to this town about 1833, and located on road 30, where his son, J.H. Hoyt, now resides. He was a cooper by trade, and in addition to clearing his land and doing his farm work, he made large numbers of sap buckets. Samuel and Reuben Niles, with their families, came here about the same time, locating in Mr. Hoyt's neighborhood. The Burlington road was put through not long after, and Mr. Hoyt was employed in its construction.

       Lorenzo Cummings, a native of Lyman, N.H., was the fifth settler on road 7, having cleared the farm now owned by J.C. Hunt, where he resided from 1833 until 1880, when he sold out and purchased the farm now owned by his son, T.S. Hunt, on road 19.  Of his family of seven children, six are now living. 

       Theophilus Grout from Charlestown, N.H., settled in Kirby, Vt., at an early date, where he reared a large family of children. His son Theophilus settled on the old homestead and reared three children. Josiah, the sixth child, married Sophronia Ayer, daughter of Carlton Ayer, of St. Johnsbury, and located on the old farm after the death of his brother, in 1849, where he resided until 1856, when he sold the place to his son George.   Gen. William W., another son, now owns it. The surviving members of Josiah's family of ten children now reside as follows: Maj. Josiah and George, in Derby; Gen. Wm. W., Mrs. Charles H. Dwinell, and Victoria, in Barton; Mrs.Capt. Ford and James A., on the old homestead, and Theophilas in Newport village.The latter married Ellen A. Black, of Galveston, Texas, and has two children, Charles T. and Addie L. He is a prosperous lawyer.

       David Rollins, Sr. from London, N.H., came here in 1842, and with his two sons, David and John B., made a clearing and erected a house on road 9, and moved his family here during the following spring. Four sons and one daughter of his family of thirteen children now reside here. The eldest of these, David,Jr., a veteran and pensioner of the late war, resides on road 9, corner of 15, where he has lived twenty-nine years. Mrs. Rollins is a daughter of Silas Whitcomb, of Alexander, N.H., a pensioner of the war of 1812. 

       Nathaniel Rogers came here from Moulton, N.H., in 1845, locating upon the farm now owned by his son, G.W. Rogers, on road 23. At the age of fifty-seven years he enlisted in Co. H, 15th Vt. Vols., and was taken prisoner by Mosby, at Fairfax Court House, and lodged in Libby prison. Two of his sons, D.W. and N.S., were also in the army, the former losing an arm and the latter a leg. D.W. resides at Derby Center, and N.S. on road 23, in this town. 

       John Buzzell came to Newport, from Berkshire, Vt., in 1851, locating on road 5, where his widow resides. His youngest son, James F., resides at the Center. 

       George Robinson was born at Tolland, Conn., in January., 1794, and removed with his father to Holland, Vt., at an early date, and subsequently located in Derby. He married Harriet Stewart, daughter of Maj. Rufus Stewart, of Derby, and reared three children, Lucius, George S., and Charles. Lucius was born in Derby, April 5, 1853, was educated at the Derby Academy, and spent his youth and early manhood on the home farm, teaching a few terms in the district schools during the winter months, and later speculating in cattle and produce. In 1858 he came to Newport, and from that time until his death was prominently connected with its farming, mercantile, hotel, banking, navigation and railroad interests. During his later years, however, his larger schemes were devoted to hotels, coach lines and railroad enterprises in other states. At the time of his death he was president of the National Bank of Newport, a director of the National Bank of Derby Line and of the Connecticut & Passumpsic Rivers Railroad Co., and vice- president of the South Eastern Railway Co., while from 1876 to 1879 he was proprietor of the Memphremagog House. He was also largely entrusted with the settlement of the estates of deceased persons and bankrupt estates, which with the town offices almost yearly bestowed upon him, entailed an immense amount of labor and care, and it was doubtless overwork and consequent inattention to health that brought on the disease that resulted in his death, June 8, 1882. Mr. Robinson was a Democrat in politics, and was sent as a delegate to the National Democratic convention held at New York in 1868, was a member of the Charleston convention in 1860, represented the town during that year, and held various other offices. Mrs. Robinson, (Lucy Kendall) daughter of Jerreb Kendall, of Passumpsic, Vt is still living, making her home at the Memphremagog House. They were married November 22, 1848, and had two sons, both of whom died in 1857. George S. Robinson, the only surviving brother of Lucius, is a popular lawyer of Sycamore, Ill. 

       George W. Wright was born at St. Johnsbury, Vt. December 22, 1813, married Harriet Kittredge, of Danville, Vt., September 22, 1842, and came to the southern part of Newport the following day. Mrs. Wright now resides with her son, Harrison A., on the old homestead. 

       Josiah D. Litchfield came to Newport, from Springfield, Vt., in 1850. His family consisted of three sons, one of whom died in the late war, and one daughter. Mr. Litchfield now resides on road 13, while his son-in-law, J.G. Stickney, owns the old homestead. 

       Converse G. Goodrich was born at Enfield, N.H., in 1820, married Almira Howard, of Morristown, Vt., in April, 1846, and came to Newport in January, 1851, locating upon the farm now owned by Hollis Daggett. He now resides at the village. 

       Major William H. Morse was born in Lyme, N.H., March 11, 1802, and came to Troy when he was seventeen years of age, remaining in that town until recently, when he located in this town with his sons, J.W. and Levi P., on road 2. He was one of those who aided in building the present Congregational church at North Troy. He has nine children now living, of whom Carlos W., of Newport Center is the oldest. 

       H.A. Larabee came to Newport, from Berkshire, Vt., in 1852, and located on road 10. He married a daughter of Hiram Rublee, one of the early settlers of Berkshire, and has a family of five sons and one daughter. 

       Austin Loverin came to Newport, from Berkshire, Vt., in 1860, and located upon the farm now owned by his son, L.D. Loverin. 

       Thomas Farrant, proprietor of Vine Haven Fruit and Flower Farm, came here from England, where he was gardener for Lady Charlotte Dennison, of Ossington Hall, in 1851. He has one of the finest greenhouses in this part of Vermont. 

       Dr. Charles L. Erwin was born in Sheldon, Vt., and in 1859 went to Nashua, N.H. remained there two years, then came to St. Albans and enlisted in Co. L, 1st Vt. Cav., serving until the close of the war. He then spent two years at the University of Vermont, graduating therefrom with the class of '67, locating in Newport where he has practiced his profession since. 

       Emmons Raymond who has been so prominently identified with the railroad interest of Newport, was born in Franklin county, Mass., September 23, 1806. After a number of years' experience in mercantile pursuits in Boston, Mass., he retired, in 1858, and located in Cambridge, Mass., where his home now is. He became connected with the Passumpsic railroad from its inception, in 1846, became a director in 1850, and president of the corporation in 1870, which position he still retains. 

       Rev. Robert V. Hall, who has taken a great interest in both the material and spiritual interests of Newport, was born at Stanstead, P.Q., in 1810, graduated from the Auburn Theological Seminary, and has been settled in this town twelve years.  Mr. Hall has been twice married, to Laura A. Newton, of Brattleboro, by whom he had five children, and to Adelia L. Ellis, daughter of Col. Benjamin Ellis, the latter marriage occurring June 10, 1861. 

       John L. Edwards was born in Walden, Vt., in 1819, read law, was admitted to the bar in 1848, and came to Newport in 1872, where he is now at the head of the law firm of Edwards, Dickerman & Young. 

       Hon. Edward A. Stewart was born in Brownington, Vt., June 13, 1834, read law with John L. Edwards and was admitted to the bar in 1858, and located at the village of Newport in 1872, where he has since resided. He was assistant clerk of the legislature in 1860-‘61, clerk in 1862-‘63, and was elected judge of probate in 1865, holding the office eleven years. He was editor and part owner of the “Express and Standard” from 1872 to 1881, when he sold out to D.M. Camp. 

       Silas Angier, born in Weathersfield, N.H., was a blacksmith by trade, and located in Troy about 1822, where he took up and cleared a piece of land which he afterwards sold, and removed to Troy village, opening a shop which was for many years the only one there. He was chosen captain of a company during the war of 1812, but it was organized too late to take part in the war. Of his family of eight children, Rawson, residing in this town on road 38, Newell, of Westfield, Asa H., of  Potton, P.Q., Mrs. Calista Hodgkins, of Westfield, and Mrs. Hodgden, of Troy, are living. 

       Dr. Joseph C. Rutherford was born at Schenectady, N.Y., in 1818. His parents came to Vermont in 1826, and settled at Burlington in 1830. At an early age he manifested a strong love for the fine arts, painting in particular, but as his taste could not be indulged to any great extent from lack of means, he was obliged to turn his attention to the more substantial means of subsistence. In 1842, he entered the office of Dr. Newel, then of Lyndon, and late of St. Johnsbury, as a student of medicine. The following year (1843) he went to Derby, where he became acquainted with Miss Hannah W. Chase, youngest daughter of Jacob Chase, Esq., and was married to her the same year. In 1844, he resumed the study of medicine in the office of Dr. M. F  Colby, of Stanstead, P.Q., and graduated at Woodstock, Vt., in 1849.  In 1851, he went to Massachusetts to practice his profession, where he remained about five years, when he went to Illinois with a view of making a home; but business of a domestic character called him back to Vermont, where he has resided ever since.   In 1860, he located in Newport, where he now resides.  In 1862 he was commissioned assistant surgeon of the 10th Vt. Vols. and followed the fortunes of that regiment to near the close of the war, when he was promoted surgeon of the 17th Vt. Vols. Soon after the close of the war he received a commission from the government as U. S. examining surgeon for pensions, which office he has held to the present time. He has discharged the duties of his office in such a manner as to receive the approbation and esteem of his superior officers, and there is no man who has a stronger hold on the affections of the veteran soldiers of the late war than he, as he has always been ready to lend assistance to them at any and all times.  In 1880, he was chosen by the Vermont legislature supervisor of the insane, which office he held for two years. At the battle of Locust Grove, Va., November, 1863, the Doctor received a wound which crippled him for life. 

       Capt. George W. Fogg, who came here in 1840, and has done so much towards navigation enterprises, etc., as to be often styled the "father of Newport," was born in 1824. Left an orphan at an early age, he resided with a Mr. Asa Lillie until he reached his majority, then engaged in staging between Skowhegan and Bangor, Me.  In 1840, he commenced running a ferry between Georgeville and Knowlton Landing, continuing in this occupation until 1850.  In 1850, he built the steamer “Mountain Maid,” the first on the lake, and in 1880, built the new  “Mountaia Maid.”  In 1867, he formed a company and had the beautiful boat “Lady of the Lake” built in Clyde, Scotland, and has had charge of the boat since. He owns a fine place in Derby, called the Lake View farm. 

       The First Baptist church of Newport, located at Newport village was organized by Rev. John Ide, with twelve members in 1817.  Rev. Mr. Clark was the first pastor, though the society had been supplied by Rev. Messrs. Ide, Nathaniel Daggett, and others. The first house of worship was a wood structure built in union with the Congregational society, in 1846. It stood about a mile south of the cemetery, on the Lake road. The entire interest was purchased by the Baptists in 1861, who tore down the building and removed it to the village. The society now has about forty-five members, with Rev. Joseph Freeman, pastor. 

       The First Congregational church of Newport, located at Newport village, was organized by Rev. R. A. Watkins, with seven members, February 23, 1831, Rev. Reuben Mason being the first pastor. The Union church was used until 1861, when a new house was built on Main street, a pleasant structure capable of seating 300 persons. The society is now in a flourishing condition, has 153 members, with Rev. E. P. Wild, pastor. 

       The Methodist Episcopal church, located at Newport Center, was organized by its first pastor, Rev. Mr. Nason, about 1832, with fifteen members. The church building was not put up until 1861. It is a wood structure capable of seating  250 persons, costs $1,000 and is valued at $1,600.00. The society  has eighty members, with Rev. Daniel Lewis, pastor. 

       The Freewill Baptist church of Newport Center was organized by the first pastor, Rev. Charles S. Roberts and Rev. M. A. Amsden, with sixteen members, November 7, 1855. The church building, dedicated in 1870, is a wood structure capable of accommodating 250 persons, and is valued at $2,600.00. The society numbers eighty-five members, under the pastoral charge of Rev. S. W. Cowell. 

       The Newport Methodist Episcopal church, located at Newport village, was organized by Rev. A. T. Bullard, with about twenty-five members, in 1863, Rev. C. Liscomb being the first pastor. The building was erected in 1869, a wood structure capable of seating 400 persons. It cost $8,000.00, though it is now valued at only $5,000.00.  Rev. Daniel Lewis is the present pastor, the society having about one hundred members. 

       The Methodist Episcopal church of Newport village was organized in 1866, with about twelve members, Rev. H.A. Spencer being the first pastor. The building, a wood structure valued at $6,000.00, was built in 1869. The society has eighty members, with Rev. Elisha Folsom, pastor. 

       St. Mary's Star of the Sea Roman Catholic church, located on Pleasant street, Newport village, was organized by its first pastor, Rev. John Michaud, in 1873.  The church building was erected in 1875, a wood structure capable of seating 250 persons, at a cost, including grounds, of $6,135.37. The society has about 700 members, with Rev. Norbert Proulx, pastor. 

       St. Mark's Protestant Episcopal located at Newport village, was organized by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Bissel, in 1879, the church building erected in 1882. The society numbers twenty-five members, with Rev. Benjamin Atwell, pastor. 

Stet:  Farlee; Lyttleton; therefrom

(Source: Gazetteer of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 288-34 to 288-47)

This excerpt was provided by Tom Dunn.

1883 –1884 Newport Village Business Directory

1883 –1884 Newport Business Directory
(Town Outside of Corporation)