XX indexVermont  




Jay is located in the northeastern corner of the county, in lat. 44º 57', and long. 4º 25', bounded north by the Canada line, east by Troy, south by Westfield, and west by Richford, in Franklin county.  It contains an area of 23,040 acres, and was originally granted by the State, under the name of Carthage, March 13, 1780.  Nothing was done towards a settlement under this  charter, nor were the bounds laid out until 1789, when it was surveyed by James Whitelaw, consequently, under the conditions of the grant, the charter was made void, and the land reverted to the State.  In 1792, the legislature decided that “the tract of land called Carthage is an uncommonly good one, and that it should be erected into a township by the name of Jay.”   One third of the territory was granted to Gov.Thomas Chittenden, and the remaining two thirds to John Jay and John Cozine, of New York. The Chittenden grant was chartered November 7, 1792, as follows:- 
The Governor, Council and General Assembly of the State of Vermont.

       To all to whom these presents shall come — Greeting: Know Ye, That whereas His Excellency Thomas Chittenden, Esquire, our worthy friend, has by petition requested a grant of unappropriated lands within this State, for the purpose of settlement, We have therefore thought fit, for the due encouragement of his laudable designe and for other causes and valuable considerations us hereunto moving, do, by these presents, in the name and by the authority of the freemen of the State of Vermont, give and grant unto the said Thomas Chittenden, Esquire, and to his heirs and assigns forever, all that certain tract or parcel of land, situate in the County of Chittenden, in the state aforesaid, described and bounded as follows, viz.: Beginning at a stake and stones, being the Southwest corner of Carthage; thence South 82º 20' East, six miles in the North line of Westfield to a birch tree standing in the Northeast corner thereof, marked 'Carthage, Westfield 1789;' thence North two miles to a stake sixteen links Northeast from a spruce tree marked ‘2, 1789;' thence North 82º 20' West, six miles to a fir free standing on the West side of a mountain marked 'M. 4, 1789;' thence South to the first bound, containing seven thousand and six hundred acres of land reserving out of said tract of land five hundred and ninety acres to be appropriated for public uses, in manner and form as is usual and customary in other townships, granted by the State, and to be divided and laid out in like manner in quantity and quality and be disposed of, for public and pious uses agreeable to the usual customs aforesaid, and which tract of land is to be comprehended within the township of and forever hereafter to be called and known by the name of Jay and the inhabitants that now do or shall hereafter inhabit said township tract within the township of Jay aforesaid are declared to be enfranchised and intitled to all the privileges and immunities that the inhabitants of other towns within the State do and ought, by, the laws and constitution thereof to exercise and enjoy. 

  To have and to hold the same granted premises, as above expressed with all the privileges and appurtenances unto him the said Thomas Chittenden, Esquire, and to his heirs and assigns forever, upon the following conditions and reservations, viz.: That the said Thomas Chittenden, Esquire, his heirs and assigns shall plant and cultivate five acres of land and build a house, at least eighteen feet square upon the floor, or have one family settled on each respective right or share, or on each three hundred and sixty acres within the time limited by law of this State made and provided for that purpose on penalty of the forfeiture thereof, according to the usual custom in grants made by this State aforesaid, and the same to revert to the freemen of this State, to be by their representatives regranted to such persons as shall appear to settle and cultivate the same and that all pine timber be reserved for the use of a navy for the benefit of the freemen of this State. 

  “In testimony whereof, we have caused the seal of this State to be hereunto affixed, in Council at Rutland, this 7th day of November, A. D., 1792. 

  By his Excellency's command. 
      “JOSEPH FAY, Secretary." 

       The remaining two thirds of the town was granted November 28, 1792, to John Jay and John Cozine, of New York city, the following being a copy of the charter deed:—

       The People of the State of Vermont,' BY THE GRACE OF GOD FREE AND INDEPENDENT: 

       To all to whom these presents shall come, Greeting: Know Ye, That we have given, granted and confirmed and by these presents do give, grant and confirm unto the Honorable John Jay, of the city of New York, Esquire, and to John Cozine, of the same place, Esquire, as Tenants in common and not as joint Tenants, all that certain tract or parcel of Land situate, lying and being in the County of Chittenden, in the State of Vermont, Beginning at the North Easterly corner of a Tract heretofore called Carthage, being a stake and stones, standing in the North Line of the said State, fifteen links north from a Beech Tree, marked ‘Carthage 1789’ and running thence North eighty-two degrees and twenty minutes West, six miles in the North line of the State to a Beech Tree, marked ‘Richford, Carthage, October 17, 1789.' Thence South four miles in the East line of Richford to a pine or fir Tree on the west side of a small mountain, marked  ‘M. 4, 1789.' Then South eighty-two degrees and twenty minutes East, six miles to a stake six- teen links northwest from a spruce Tree, marked ‘M. 2, 1789.'  Then north in the East line of said Tract to the place of Beginning, containing fifteen thousand three hundred and sixty acres, statute measure, being sixteen Thousand acres of land straight measure, be the same more or less in the following proportions, viz.: Fourteen full equal and undivided sixteenth parts, (the whole into sixteen equal parts to be divided) unto the said John Jay, and the residue and remaining Two full and equal undivided sixteenth parts (the whole into sixteen equal parts to be divided) unto the said John Cozine, together with all and singular the rights Heriditaments and appurtenances to the same belonging, or in any wise appertaining, excepting and reserving to ourselves all Gold and Silver mines. And also all that certain piece of land or parcel of the tract hereinbefore described: Beginning at the northwest corner of a tract of land granted to his Excellency, Thomas Chittenden, in the East line of Richford: Thence along the north bounds of the Tract so granted to Thomas Chittenden, south eighty-two degrees and twenty minutes East, three hundred and ten rods: Thence north three hundred and ten rods: Thence north eighty-two degrees and twenty minutes West, three hundred and ten rods to Richford aforesaid. Thence south in the East line of Richford three hundred and ten rods to the place of Beginning, for public uses. 

  To have and to hold the said fourteen full and equal undivided sixteenths (the whole into sixteen equal parts to be divided) of the said above mentioned and described Tract of Land and premises unto the said John Jay his heirs and assigns forever, as a good and indefeasible Estate of Inheritance in fee simple. And to have and to hold the residue and remaining two full and equal and undivided sixteenth parts (the whole in sixteen equal parts to be divided) of the above mentioned and described tract of land and premises unto said John Cozine his heirs and assigns forever, as a good and indefeasible Estate of Inheritance in fee simple; and on condition nevertheless, that within the term of seven years to be computed from the first day of January next ensuing the date hereof, there shall be one actual settlement made for every six hundred and forty acres of the said Tract of land hereby granted, otherwise these our Letters Patent and the Estate hereby granted shall cease, determine and become void; and we do by these presents Constitute, erect and create the tract of land hereby granted and chartered, together with another tract of Seven Thousand acres to the south of and adjoining thereto, granted to the before mentioned Thomas Chittenden and bounded westerly on Richford, southerly on Westfield, and easterly partly on land granted to Samuel Avery and others, a township to be forever hereafter distinguished, known and called JAY, with all and singular the powers, privileges, Franchises and immunities to other incorporated Townships within the State of Vermont— 

  In witness whereof we have caused these our letters to be made Patent, and the Great seal of our said State to be hereto affixed— 

  Witness our trusty and well beloved Thomas Chittenden, Esquire, Governor of our said State, General and Commander-in-Chief of all the militia of the same. 

  At Williston, this twenty-eight day of December, in the year of our Lord, one thousand seven hundred and ninety-two, and in the sixteenth year of our Independence. 


  Passed the Secretaries office this 28th day of December, 1792. 

  By his Excellency's command, 
    JOSEPH FAY, Sec’y." 

      A copy of the Charter was filed for record in the office of the Secretary of State, January 29, 1806.

       In the Chittenden grant is situated nearly all of the intervals, and nearly all the streams of water run through it, which unite in this town to form what is known as Jay branch, which empties into the Missisquoi river in Troy, and is the largest tributary thus far in the course of that river. Jay Peak, the highest point of the Green Mountain range north of Mt. Mansfield, is also situated in the Chittenden grant, and is 4,018 feet above sea level.  Its summit is twenty rods or more north of the north line of Westfield, and one hundred rods or more east of the east line of Richford. 

       The Green Mountain range covers nearly one-third of the town on the west side, presenting a formidable barrier to roads, and none have ever been built across it ; but there are two quite feasible routes, one of which is through the notch south of the Peak, and it, will probably be utilized before a great while. The other is some distance north of the Peak, opening into the settlement on the west side of the mountain, known as West Jay, and East Richford. The range forms a vast semi-circle, commencing on the line between Jay and Westfield, about two miles west of the east line, and running on the line between the two towns nearly all the way west, rounding up the southwest corner of the town, as it swings around to the north, and then following along between Jay and Richford a couple of miles, and then bending around to the cast to within about two miles of the east line of the town, making room for the settlement of West Jay, and thus completing the semi-circle. From this point the mountains swing back again to the west, forming another and smaller curve, crossing the Canada line. There is a vast amount of spruce and hardwood timber on the sides of these mountains, and there was formerly considerable pine timber in the town, but the navy was never benefitted by it, notwithstanding the charter. A pine tree was cut on the meadow of lot NO. 12, in the 2d range, which made 5,250 feet of inch boards. It stood 135 feet high, and was five feet in diameter at its base. The first branches started twenty-five feet from the ground, and were three feet through. These again branched out so that the continuous length of sawlogs taken from the tree was two hundred and fifty feet. The tree was sold on the stump for $5.00. Another remarkable pine was cut on the little meadow just above the “duck pond " on lot No. 11, in the first range. It was but twenty-two inches through or, the stump, though it was 125 feet high, straight as an arrow, and the first limb eighty feet from the ground. 

       The whole of the eastern part of the town is comparatively level, contains considerable intevale land, and is susceptible of producing excellent crops of grains and grasses. In this section the geological structure is quite varied, the rocks being disposed in alternate parallel veins, of narrow extent, extending north and south. They consist of serpentine clay slate, steatite, and talcose schist, while in the residue of the township the rocks are almost entirely of this latter formation.   The serpentine contains large quantities of chromic iron, of excellent quality, which is found in veins, somewhat irregular, of which the largest is from one to two feet wide. An early use of this ore was made by Prof. A. C. Twining, of Middlebury college, who obtained a large percentage of chrome yellow from the ore without exhausting the chromic oxide of the latter. Small quantities of gold have been found here, but not to any great value. 

       In 1880, Jay had, a population of 696, and in 1882, it was divided into six school districts and contained six common schools, employing one male and six female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary of $596.96. There were 202 pupils attending common school, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st, was $667.61, with A. A. Macomber superintendent. 

       Jay, a post village located in the southeastern part of the town, on Jay branch, contains a church (Baptist), an hotel, a school-house, one store, a  steam saw and shingle-mill, tannery, blacksmith shop, and eleven dwellings. 

       The Chittenden grant was surveyed into lots of 100 acres each, by Curtis Elkins, in 1803-'04, and numbered from one to seventy-six consecutively, beginning at the southeast corner of the grant, numbering back and forth, north and south, being one-half mile long and 100 rods wide, east and west. Most of the lots, however, overrun in width, some of them being 140 rods wide. This land has all passed out of the possession of the Chittenden heirs, the last sale being made to B.F. Paine, of this town, by George W. Chittenden, of Boston, Mass., on April 1, 1874. 

       In July, 1805, John Neilson, justice of peace of Ryegate, published a warning in Spooner's Vermont Journal, in the Rutland Herald and in the Green Mountain Patriot, warning the proprietors of that part of Jay that was chartered to John Jay and John Cozine to meet at the dwelling of Thomas Tolman, of Greensboro, on August 29, to choose officers to see if the proprietors will vote to allot or divide said tract in severalty, and to transact any other necessary business. The proprietors met at the appointed time and chose Curtis Elkins, moderator; Thomas Tolman, proprietor's clerk; and Charles Azarius, treasurer. It was also voted to allot the whole of said tract and divide the same“in severalty,into lots of one hundred and three acres each strict measure.” Curtis Elkins was appointed surveyor, and took the necessary oath for the faithful execution of the trust, when the meeting adjourned. 

       Several meetings were held subsequent to this, all at the same place, but no business of importance was transacted until July 30, 1806, when the following transactions occurred:— 

        “Voted, That the proprietors do accept the Report and Plan of the survey of the lots made, and presented at this time by Curtis Elkins, surveyor and committee. 

        “Voted, That Louisa Tolman, an indifferent person, be and is appointed to draw the numbers in the Draft.”  John Jay drew 112 lots and John Cozine sixteen. 

       Under date of December 19, 1806, the following entry appears in the proprietor's records:— 

         “Draft of that Part of the Northern Division of the township of Jay that was drawn to John Jay, Esquire, by the proprietors of said part of Jay and now divided between John Jay, Esq., and Azarias Williams, this 24th day of November, 1806.”    In this draft each party drew fifty-six lots. 

       Samuel Palmer was the first settler of Jay, as a bond for a deed from Azarias Williams, now in the possession William Williams, of Troy, locates Palmer in Jay the 16th day of July, 1807, and Mr. Williams is confident that Palmer came to town in 1803.  He settled on lot No. 6, in the third range, and left town before it was organized. 

       Luther Bailey and his brother, Philander, came about 1806. Luther settled on the place now owned by J. E. Chase, and when he came there was a party of Indians, fourteen in number, camped on the meadow. They left that summer, though occasionally one came back but not to stop long. When they left they told  Mr. Bailey that they had more dried moose meat than they wanted, and left  him about forty pounds. Mr. Bailey cleared a couple of acres, put up a log hut, and when harvesting time came went back to Peacham to work on a farm owned by his father, leaving his wife alone in the wilderness for three weeks, though his father, who lived in Potton, came over on horseback through the woods every Sunday to see how she got along. Mr. Bailey sold out to Madison Keith, about 1811, and went to Canada and was drafted there. He took his equipments and came this side of the line and afterwards bought out a man by the name of Whitcomb, where Hollis Manuel now lives, and was living there when the battle of Plattsburgh was fought and heard the guns. He was present at the organization of the town, being elected one of the auditors. He sold out to Adna Crandall, December 16, 1830, and left town in 1831; but was living in town again between the years 1836 and 1840. He had four sons born in Jay, viz.: Charles F., in 1820, who was second lieutenant of Co. D, 6th Vt. Vols., wounded at the battle of Lee's Mills, Va., April 16, 1862, and died May 1, 1862, having enlisted from Troy; Chandler, born in 1823, now lives in Troy; Luther, Jr. born in 1825; and John, born in 1829. 

       Philander Bailey made a pitch on the lot now owned by H.S. Ovitt, and built a log house; but had no family there and did not remain in town a great while. 

       Robert Barter came on in 1807, and began on lot No. 2, in the third range, and it is said, and probably truly, that his was the only family that remained in town during the panic created by the war of 1812. It is said he would have gone, only his wife had just put a web into the loom to weave, which had to be finished and the cloth made into garments for the children before they could go, by which time the scare was over. He was the father of twenty-four children, many of whom are living. The fact of his having so large a family caused a traveler who was passing through the town and happened along at the log school-house at noon-time, to enquire if "Mr. Barter lived there." He died in 1856, aged about ninety years. 

       The Keith family, James and his sons Madison, Bela, James,Jr., and Nahum, came to town about 1811, from Bridgewater, Mass.  Madison bought out Luther Bailey, and Nahum began on lot No. 12, in first range, but left before the town was organized, and all but James went to the State of New York previous to 1845. James went to Troy, residing there until his death. 

       Joseph Hadlock came with his sons, Hiram, Ithamar, and Joseph, Jr., about 1820, and settled on what is called Hadlock hill.  Ithamar soon after took up lot No. 10, in the second range, now owned by E. J. Blair.  Joseph Hadlock, Sen., was found dead in his field one Sunday afternoon in the summer of 1849, and his mother, many years before that, died instantly while sitting in her chair knitting.  Other Hadlocks soon followed them to the town, until there were about as many Hadlocks as all the other settlers combined. Their names, in addition to those already given, were Samuel, Stephen, Amos W., Jonathan, Jonathan, 2d, Hazen, Henry D., Archibald, Jonathan, Jr., and Adams B., most of whom had large families. Several of them died in town, while others moved away. Hazen was shot and instantly killed on the night of February 27, 1838, at the house of Samuel Elkins, of Potton, P.Q., while engaged, with about thirty others from Jay and Troy, in making a raid on Elkins' house for guns and equipments. 

       Eli, Appleton, and Nathan Hunt, Abner Whicher, Asa Wilson, John Bell, Abel Alton, Elisha Upton, and Jehu Young were settlers in town previous to its organization.

       The town was organized and the first town, meeting held, March 29, 1828, at the house of Jehu Young, pursuant to a warning issued on the '5th of the same month, by Ezra Johnson, Esq., of Troy. Asa Wilson was chosen moderator; Abner Whicher, town clerk; Abel Alton, Madison Keith, and Joseph Hadlock, selectmen; Madison Keith, treasurer; Madison Keith, Abner Whicher, and Joseph Hadlock, listers; Madison Keith, Stephen Hadlock, and Abner Whicher, highway surveyors; Joseph Hadlock, Stephen Hadlock, and Madison Keith, fence viewers; Abel Alton, scaler of leather; Madison Keith, sealer of weights and measures; Abel Alton, Madison Keith, and Abner Whicher, school committee; Abner Whicher, Elisha Upton, and Joseph Hadlock, overseers of the poor; Luther Bailey, Appleton Hunt, and Asa Wilson, committee to settle with treasurer; Nathan Hunt, constable and collector; Samuel Hadlock, tything man; Nathan Hunt, Eli Hunt, and John Bell, haywards; Jehu Young, pound keeper; Abner Whicher, and Abel Alton, grand jurors; and Nathan Hunt, Madison Keith, Hiram Hadlock, and Stephen Hadlock, petit jurors. 

        John Blair was born at Paisley, Scotland, and emigrated to this country, locating at Ryegate, Vt., in March, 1817.  In 1818, he came to Jay, having a capital of seventy -five cents, and now has a good farm of 240 acres. Mr. Blair is noted for his rigid ideas of honesty, and now enjoys a hale old age of sixty-six years. He first located in a log  house where F. B. Wakeman now resides.

        At a freeman's meeting held on September 2, 1828, the town was divided into school districts, as follows: District No. 1 comprised the Chittenden grant. District No 2, two miles north, or to the line between lots 6 and 7, in each range, and District No. 3, north to the Canada line, making each district two miles wide and six miles long. There were twenty-one votes cast for governor at this meeting, but it is not stated who they were for.  Madison Keith was elected representative.  In 1829, the vote for governor stood for Samuel C. Crafts, 17; for Heman Allen, 2.  In 1839, Samuel C. Crafts had them all, twenty-two. 

       Eli Hunt kept the first school, in the winter of 1823, in a log house that was built on the point or bluff east of the pond where the Ball mill stood. School was afterwards kept in a log house on the meadow east of C. R. Bartlett's present residence, with Emeline Lamb, daughter of the Rev. Silas Lamb, of Westfield, and afterwards wife of Bradley Sanborn, teacher. The first frame school-house was built at the Center, as it was called, in 1831, where it still stands. It served also for a town-house and meeting-house, and is now used for town and school purposes. In the first district, a log school-house was built on the road leading west from the postoffice, upon the flat on the north side, west of the stream. Afterwards a frame house was built at the foot of the hill, farther west, and in 1860, the present house was built at the Corners, south of the postoffice. There are now five school districts on the east side of the mountain, and a fractional district on the west side. 

       The first church was built in 1880, by the Methodist society. It was located at the Center contrary to the better judgment of most of the society, who wished to have it at the south end of the town, where the business enterprise is centered. There has been an effort made to move it to that point which may yet prove successful. 

       The first store was opened by T. A. Chase, in the spring of 1867, by finishing off the wood-shed, a room 14 by 20 feet, in the ell of the house built by A. B. Chamberlin. On February 3, 1873, H. D. Chamberlin took possession of the store by purchase, remaining until the spring of 1877. In November, 1880, the building was burned, being then the property of B. F. Paine. In 1881, H. D. Chamberlin purchased the building lot, and, in the summer of 1882, began to build a hotel, which is not yet completed, but is intended to be open for summer boarders in 1884. The building is 30x48 feet, two stories in height, with a French roof, and is designed to accommodate from twenty to thirty boarders. The post office and town clerk's office are located in this building. In 1881, H. G. Banister built a store and dwelling combined, commencing trade in the winter of 1882, and is now doing a thriving business. His store is situated just across the stream, south of the hotel and postoffice. 

       The first saw-mill was built in 1822, by Solomon Wolcott, on the Branch, twenty or thirty rods below the present mill site and below the covered bridge. It was carried off the following summer by high water, and was never rebuilt. The house was built upon the bluff on the south side of the stream, and was occupied by a man by the name of White, who run the mill. The next built was a saw-mill erected by Ithamar Hadlock, on the Cook brook, just below the present dam. The precise date cannot be ascertained, but was about 1830. Hadlock sold Ebenezer Brewer a half interest, April 16, 1835, and the whole interest June 22, 1838. Brewer sold to Solomon Sheldon, March, 18, 1839, and he in turn to Willard Walker, September 25, 1841. Walker, although one of the leading men of the town, had but little respect for the Sabbath and did most of his sawing during low water time in the summer on that day. It was so rare for him to saw on a week day, that when he did so once,  a neighbor's little girl went to the mill and inquired of Mr. Walker if it was Sunday. Walker sold the mill to T. M. and Josiah Caswell, February 26, 1857, and they sold to S.D. Butler, March 10, 1858.  Butler deeded the property back to them March 4, 1859, and they in turn deeded it to Z.0. Sargent January 7, 1860, and he to Willard Walker, March 2, 1867. Walker sold to S.S. Huntley, March 1, 1872. Huntley built a new mill below the bridge and conveyed the water in a tube. The next saw-mill was built by James Peck in 1834, where B.F. Paine's upper mill now stands, on what is called South branch. It was afterwards owned by Chester Hovey. In 1858, B.W. Lee became the owner of the property, and put up a new mill, adding a circular-saw, the first in town, and also put in the first clapboard-mill which he afterwards run in the starch factory. In 1866, Lee deeded the property to George E. Percy, but again became the owner in 1864, by a deed from S.M. Field, who obtained his title from Thomas Reed, in 1862. Lee again deeded to Root & Paine, in 1866, and the next year Dwight Root put in a dam a short distance below the old mill, and also put up a clapboard-mill, which is now owned and run by B.F. Paine. The upper mill has gone out of use. 

       In 1834, Maj. Orin Emerson became an extensive land owner in Jay, by way of his uncle, Thomas Reed, of Montpelier. He owned twenty lots in the north division, thirty-five whole lots and parts of two others in the south division, from Martin Chittenden, and in 1835 he was deeded by Truman Galusha seven whole lots and parts of two other lots, and by Truman Chittenden fifteen whole lots and part of a lot.  Soon after, on one of these lots, No. 22, Emerson built a forge, where A.W. Honsinger's mill property is now situated. This forge contained a trip hammer, operated by water-power, and all the appliances for manufacturing iron. It was run until about 1848, when it passed into the hands of Thomas Reed, who sold it to I.P. Hunt, in December, 1851. Here also the fourth saw-mill was built, by the said Hunt, in 1852, and was sold to John Magraw in 1853, being destroyed by fire during that year. Another was erected on the same site by I.P. Hunt, that autumn, which he sold to Alfred Hunt, in 1857, and he to Daniel Burt, in 1858. Burt put in a circular saw in 1860, and deeded it back to Hunt in 1861, and the same year Hunt deeded it to Horace Squire, and Horace Squire to Amini Squire, in 1864. Amini Squire deeded it to John Young, of Troy, September 5, 1866, who, on the 15th day of September, 1866, deeded it to John Young, of Derby, and J.T. Allen. In the spring of 1870, Young & Allen deeded it to D. Y. Clark. Clark put up a new mill a few rods below the old one, in 1872, and in the spring of 1873, sold a half interest to his brother, F.E. Clark. They run the mill together and did considerable business till the fall of 1874, when F.E. Clark retired from the firm. D.Y. Clark run the business alone for a couple of years, or till February, 1877, when it went into the hands of Hildreth & Young, who disposed of it to G.S. Butlerin March of the same year. Butler sold it to R.M. Dempsey, in the spring of 1881 but Dempsey failed to fullfill his part of the contract and it went back again into Butler's hands, and in the fall he sold it to A.W. Honsinger, who still owns it. He has torn down the old mill, which had not been used for years. 

       In 1853, John Hamilton, of Troy, built a starch factory which he ran for several years. In 1864, the dry-house connected with it was burned while being used by M.S. Chamberlin, for drying lumber. The factory is now used by William Porter for a tannery. In 1875, Brown & Kimball built a large steam mill in West Jay, to be used for a saw-mill and the manufacture of trays and other wooden-ware. In connection with the mill they owned a large tract of timbered land, employing a large amount of help in taking the timber from the stump and manufacturing it into lumber. In September, 1881, Brown & Kimball dissolved partnership, Kimball retiring, and in the summer of 1882, the mill was burned. 

       In 1876, A.O. Brainerd, of St. Albans, who had been interested in the steam mill, built a factory for the manufacture of acetate of lime. This did not prove a good investment, and the mill is now lying idle. It was built a few rods below the steam mill at West Jay. In the same year H.D. Chamberlin commenced to build a saw-mill and tub factory, completing it in the spring of 1877. The dam was built about twenty-five rods below the tannery, the water being conveyed to the mill in a large wooden tube 690 feet long, giving a head of sixteen feet. The mill did not long remain in Chamberlin's hands, however, as he was forced to go into bankruptcy, August 31, 1877. He took the job of manufacturing the butter-tub stock remaining on hand, making about ten thousand tubs. On May 1, 1878, the property was sold to B.F. Paine, and the tub contract to J.W. Currier. Chamberlin continued to live in the house and run the mill for Paine until the house was burned on November 25, 1880. In the fall of 1881, the water power was exchanged for steam, which adds greatly to the facilities for cutting lumber. The concern is furnished with a board-mill, edger, planer and matcher, clipper, shingle-mill, and a full set of machinery for making boxes, with band-saws for cutting chair-stock. The building of this mill proved the means of starting a village, of concentrating business, of greatly increasing the grand list of the town, and will doubtless prove a strong factor towards drawing the new railroad from Johnson to North Troy, by this place. In 1868, a clapboard-mill was built where the dam now stands, below Mr. Blair's, by M.W. Shurtleff, of Waterbury, and C.P. Stevens, of Troy. They run the mill for two years, when Shurtleff bought out Stevens, and took in a partner by the name of Ball, from Canada. They run the business one year, then Ball bought out Shurtleff and run the mill alone until it was burned in the fall of 1874. The site is now the property of the Waterloo (P.Q.) Bank. 

       In 1844 or '45, Moses C. Cutler came into town and built a general repair shop operated by water-power. It stood about where A.D. Hinkson's saw-mill now stands. Mr. Cutler did wheelwright work and cabinet work, and made coffins as they were needed. He also put in a run of stones for grinding provender and corn, the first in town. The property was afterwards owned by the Caswells, who also owned the saw-mill above, but it was not used very much after that. The Caswells sold to Mr. Butler, who used the building as a cooper shop, doing quite a large business in the manufacture of starch barrels. The Hunts also had a run of stones in their saw-mill previous to 1860. They had also a planing machine, the first in town. In 1861, A.W. Burt leased of David Johnson a piece of land lying on the Branch, where Henry West and Henry Trim's buildings now are, and built a dam across the stream, putting up a wheelwright and repair shop, with a planing machine and splitting-saw. This he run for about ten years, when the high water carried away the dam and the shop became useless. The planing machine was taken to S.S. Huntley's mill. 

       About 1870, a shingle-mill was built by Albert Everts, on the brook just below A. Youngs. The shingles were cut by a knife, but it did not prove a successful experiment, and is not now in use. In 1875, James Willard put up a shingle-mill on the brook west of, Wm. Ryans, in North Jay, operated by an overshot wheel, and supplied it with the first machinery for sawing shingles in town. He also made fancy boxes. He lived in the mill and was found dead there on the 19th of March, 1877, dying from the effects of over indulgence in rum. The mill has never been used since and has partly gone to decay. G.S. Butler bought the shingle machinery and put it into the mill now owned by A.W. Honsinger. 

       S.S. Huntley built the next shingle-mill in 1877, setting it just below his saw-mill and putting in a dam where the oldCutler dam was located. It is now owned by A.D. Hinkson. A new steam mill is to be built this summer, (1883,) at West Jay, to take the place of the one that was burned last year, L.D. Hazen, of St. Johnsbury, being the owner of the property. The lumber business is quite extensively prosecuted on the east side of the mountain, by P.F. Paine, whose mill will cut this year about 4,000,000 feet of lumber. On the west side the business is carried on by L.D. Hazen, and formerly Kimball & Co. Willard Walker, born in 1798, came to Jay from Fletcher, Vt., in 1841, becoming a prominent man in town affairs. He held the office of town clerk 16 years in all, was representative four terms, and a member of the constitutional convention in 1850.  He also held various other town offices and was postmaster during Lincoln's administration. He had one son, GilbertD., who now lives in Albany. In 1873, he moved to Newport Center and died there in 1880, aged 82 years. 

       William Williams was born in Bath, N.H., Feb. 5, 1802, and came to Jay in 1829. March 22, 1832, he married Martha Sanborn, the first marriage on record in Jay. He held the office of selectman eleven years, and various other town offices. He moved to Troy, where he now lives, in 1860. 

       Ebenezer Sanborn was born in Bath, N.H., October 13, 1772, and came to Jay in 1828, locating on the place now occupied by E.K. Hunt. He was town clerk from 1831 to 1835, and represented the town twice. He married Mary Child, January 8, 1795, and died October 28, 1839, aged sixty- seven years. His wife survived him several years and died at the advanced age of eighty-four years. 

       Lanson Sanborn was born in Bath, N.H., November 26, 1797, and came to Jay with his father, Ebenezer Sanborn, in 1828. He was town clerk seven years, and represented the town once, besides holding other minor offices. He was the first postmaster, but at what time he was appointed we are unable to state. He died November 26, 1882, aged eighty-five years, 

       Bradley Sanborn was born December 2, 1805, in Bath, N.H., and came to Jay, with his father, Ebenezer. He was selectman several times, and represented the town three years. He sold out in 1849, and went to Lowell, Vt., where he died, November 28, 1852. 

       Walter Charlton came from Littleton, N.H., in 1834, and located on the place where Jerry Deaett now lives. The next year he was elected town clerk, which office he held ten years. He was a very neat penman, and undoubtedly would have held the office longer had he remained in town. He was also selectman and town treasurer several years, or until he went to Hanover, N.H. in 1845. 

       David Jonson was born in 1807, and came to Jay in 1833, locating on the place where S.S. Huntley now lives. He represented the town two years, and went to Westfield to live in 1868, dying there in 1880.

       Joshua Chamberlin was born in Bath, N.H., March 8, 1802, and came to Jay in 1835, having lived in Troy twelve years previous to that. He married Sophia Smith, of Georgia, Vt., July 11, 1823. He was selectman four years, and held other town offices, and was a deacon of the Baptist church at North Troy and Jay for several years. His wife died April 26, 1867, and, in 1870, he went to Nashua, N.H., and married a Mrs. Baker, and died there September 4, 1871. 

       Martin S. Chamberlin, son of Joshua, was born in Troy, Vt., October 29, 1824, and came to Jay with his father, in 1835, and has resided here ever since. He has held various town offices, representing the town two years, is a deacon of the Baptist church, and has been superintendent of the Sunday school here for twenty-two years. 

       Henry D. Chamberlin, son of Joshua, was born in Jay, July 11, 1841. He served as a private in Co. B, 3d Vt. Vols., and was discharged December 10, 1862, has been superintendent of common schools five years, from 1866 to 1871, justice of the peace ten years, town clerk nine years, postmaster twelve years, represented the town at the biennial session of 1874, and at the extra session of 1875, was first lieutenant, and afterwards captain of Co. H, 5th Regt. Vt. militia, composed of the towns of Jay, Lowell, Troy and Westfield. 

       Hiram and Pascal Wright, the first settlers in West Jay, came here in 1831, locating upon the farms now owned by their sons, Elias H. and Alonzo.  Pascal died in 1880, aged seventy years, and was buried on the farm now occupied by his son Elias H. Hiram resides with his son Alonzo. 

       Newton Chase was born in Croydon, N.H., March 5, 1807, and came to Jay from Cambridge, Vt., in 1849. He at once took a prominent position in town affairs, and the following spring was elected constable and one of the board of selectmen. He represented the town in 1859, has been school superintendent and justice of the peace. He now lives with his daughter, Mrs. W.N. DuBois, in Troy. His father, Jonathan Chase, came to town with him.   He was born at Sutton, Mass., July 1, 1787, and died July 20, 1860. 

       T. Abel Chase, son of Newton, was born in Fletcher, Vt., October 9, 1832, and came to town with his father in 1849. He served as corporal and sergeant of Co. B, 3d Vt. Vols., and was discharged December 16, 1862.  He learned the surveyor's profession, which he practiced in this and adjoining towns. He lived in Troy awhile after the war, and, in 1867, bought H.D. Chamberlin's house and lot, and in the spring commenced keeping a store, continuing the business till he sold back to Chamberlin in 1873. He then went to North Troy, as a station agent. He was school superintendent several years previous to the war, was elected town clerk in 1868, and held the office till he went away; represented the town at the annual session of 1869, and at the biennial sessions of 1870 and 1872. He is now in the custom house at Island Pond, Vt.

       Jonathan E. Chase, son of Newton, was born in Fletcher, Vt., November 3, 1838, and came to town with his father in 1849. He enlisted in Co. H, 2d Regt., Vt. Vols., May 1, 1861, from which he was discharged September 21, 1863. He afterwards enlisted in 2d U. S. S. S., Co. E., December 9, 1863, was transferred to Co. G, 4th Vt. Vols., and received a severe wound in the ankle considered equal to the loss of his leg below the knee, on account of which he draws a pension, of $24.00 per month. He is now town treasurer, and represented the town in 1880. 

       C.R. Bartlett was born in Sutton, P.Q., June 17, 1836, and came to town with his father, Enos Bartlett, in 1849. He has held the office of selectman ten years, and has been lister several times, also constable and collector, and represented the town two years, 1867, '68, and has also held two other town offices. 

       Jehu Young came to Jay in 1826. He was born in Lisbon, N.H., in 1791, and located on the place where H.S. Ovitt now lives, the town being organized at his house two years later. This is also the same lot that Philander Bailey settled on. He died in 1845, aged sixty-four years. 

       John Young was born at Lisbon, N.H., June 11, 1816, and was ten years old when he came to Jay with his father, Jehu Young. His farm was the next one north of the one his father located on. He was honored with the different town offices and represented the town in 1853 and '54. He sold out September, 26, 1864, and went to Troy, where he still resides. 

       B.F. Paine, son of Amasa Paine, of Lowell, Vt., was born in Lowell, October 29, 1838, and came to Jay in 1870, where he has been engaged in the manufacture of lumber ever since. He represented Lowell in 1863-'64, and was State senator from  Orleans county in 1878, the only county office ever held by a citizen of Jay. He has also served as selectman, lister, town grand juror, and justice of the peace. 

       Joshua Hunt was born in 1791, married Eunice Chamberlin, sister of Joshua Chamberlin, and came to Jay in 1829, locating on the farm where Rominer Morse now lives; but he lived in the log school-house on the “meadow" when he first came. He reared a large family of children, his sons being as follows: Israel P., Alfred, Wallace W., Edward K., and Franklin B. He died in 1853, aged sixty-two years. His widow is still living, at the advanced age of eighty-eight years. 

       Jay now has a bonded indebtedness of $7,000.00, given in aid of the M.& C.R.R.R., upon which it pays an annual interest of five per cent., payable semi-annually. The grand list for 1883, is $1,730.00, or about double what it was when the town was bonded. The other liabilities, including interest on bonds, for this year amounts to $1,125.00, to meet which a tax of $1,730.00 is raised. 

       During the late war Jay furnished sixty-five enlisted men, who nobly performed their share in sustaining the honor of our old flag. 

       The Baptist church.—The Baptists hold their meetings at the south school-house. The society is a branch of the Baptist church at North Troy, and consists of about twenty members. They had the first settled minister, Rev. Prosper Powell, the present pastor being Rev. George H. Parker. He was born in Montgomery, Vt., April 5, 1841. At the age of twenty years, August 26 1861, he enlisted in Co. A, 5th Vt. Vols., and was mustered in as corporal September 16, 1861. He was severely wounded in his side by a fragment of a shell during the seven day's fight before Richmond, June 27, 1862, and in consequence of it was discharged January 6, 1863. He was educated at New Hampton Institution, Fairfax, Vt., and ordained as an evangelist January 30, 1867, at Montgomery, Vt. He represented the town of Reading, Vt., in l876, and began his present labors here last May, but had preached here three years previous. 

       The Methodist church.—The Methodists have a meeting-house at the center and hold their meetings there. Their resident minister was probably Enos Putnam. The society is a branch the Westfield church and is considerably larger than the Baptist society. E.A.Emery supplies the pulpit, though he is not an ordained minister. 

       The Christian church.—Rev. H. C. Sisco is the pastor of the Christian society, and they hold their meetings at the school-house in North Jay, where their pastor resides. 

Stet:  intitled, Heriditaments, hereinbefore, intevale

(Source: Gazetteer of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page  288-9 to 288-15)

This excerpt was provided by Tom Dunn.