XX indexVermont  




Albany is located in the southern part of the county, in lat. 44º 43', and long. 4º 32', bounded northeasterly by Irasburgh, southeasterly by Glover, southwesterly by Craftsbury, and northwesterly by Lowell, being a tract of land six miles square, set diagonally north and south. The town was originally granted by the State June 27, 1781, to Col. Henry E. Lutterloh, Major Thomas Cogswell, and fifty-nine associates, as follows: Gen. Joseph Badger, Col. Ebenezer Smith, Col. Antipas Gilman, Noah Dow, Charles Clapham, Richard Sinclair, Gen. John Tyler, John Tyler, Jr., James Lord, Nathaniel Coit, Hezekiah Lord, John Mott, Nathan Geer, Joshua Stanton, Abiel Fellows, Andrew Lester, Noah Holcomb, Ruluff Dutcher, Nehemiah Law- rence, Rachel Fellows, Elisha Sheldon, Jr., Elijah Stanton, David Whitney, Correl Merrill, Samuel B. Sheldon, Calvin Ackley, Andrew Carney, Elisha Lee, Timothy O'Brien, Joshua Porter, Jr., Nergalsharezzer Rude, James Jordan, Frank Moore, Arthur Frink, John Wheeler, Jacob Galusha, Samuel Moore, Jr., Ebenezer Fletcher, Jacob Vosburgh, Moses Rinesdale, Ebenezer Reed, Gabriel Dutcher, Isaac White, Andrew Frink, John Park, Samuel Hull, Gideon Smith, Ezra Crane, Jr., James Holmes, John Fellows, Caleb Nichols, James Parks, John Russell, Joshua Fitch, Jr., Isaac Peck, John Caton, Thomas Selleck, and Elias Lord. 

       The charter was issued June 26, 1782, naming the town in honor of Col. Lutterloh and under the conditions that,

 “Each proprietor of the township, his heirs or assigns, shall plant or cultivate five acres of land, and build a house at least eighteen feet square on the floor, or have one family settle on each respective right or share of land, within the term of four years from the time the outlines of said township shall be known and established, as the law directs, on penalty of the forfeiture of each respective right or share of land in said township, not so improved or settled, and the same to revert to the freemen of this State, to be by their representatives regranted to such persons as shall appear to settle and cultivate the same.”

       The name of Lutterloh was retained until 1815, when, by petition to the legislature, it was chanced to the one it still bears. Much excitement is said to have prevailed among the inhabitants at that time, relative to what the new name should be, “Adams” seeming to have been quite popular, in honor of John Q. Adams; but Albany prevailed and Albany it was rechristened. 

       The general surface of the town is hilly and uneven, though not mountainous, the only elevation approaching the dignity of a mountain being Harvey's mountain, in the northwestern part of the township, which is cut off from the main chain of the Green Mountains by Phelps' brook. The soil is varied and productive, being especially fertile in the valley of Black river. This stream flows through the central part of the town from south to north, having a number of quite considerable tributaries. Lord's creek flows north through the eastern part of the township, having several tributaries. Aside from these are numerous other minor streams found throughout the territory, affording ample irrigation to the soil. There are also several ponds, the principal of which are Great Hosmer, Heartwell, Page, Heart, and Duck ponds. The timber is that indigenous to the towns of northern Vermont, mostly beech, birch, maple, pine, spruce, hemlock, cedar, tamarac, fir, butternut and ash. 

       The rocks entering into the geological formation of the town are disposed in parallel ranges extending north and south, the first of which, on the west, being a bed of talcose schist, next to which is a narrow range of Upper Helderburg limestone, followed by a vein of clay slate, the residue of the territory being calciferous mica schist. In the central and eastern parts of the town there are several rich beds of muck and shell marle. There are also some fine ledges of granite rocks, suitable for building purposes. Upon the farm of John A. Vance, in the northeastern part of the town, are remains of beaver dams and hundreds of mounds marking what was once the homes of these industrious animals. 

       In 1880,  Albany had a population of 1,138, and in 1882, was divided into thirteen school districts and contained fourteen common schools, employing five male and fifteen female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary of $1,356.86. There were 285 pupils attending common school, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31, was $1,471.81, with C. S. Hamilton, superintendent. 

       Albany, a post village located near the western part of the town in the valley of Black river, contains two churches (Congregational and Methodist), a hotel, three stores, two blacksmith shops, harness shop, shoe shop, and about thirty-five dwellings.

       South Albany, a small post village located in the southern part of the town, contains one church (Wesleyan Methodist), a hotel, one store, blacksmith shop, shoe shop, carriage shop, planing-mill, and about a dozen dwellings. 

       Albany Center (p. o.), a hamlet located in the central part of the town, contains the town-house, a store, and about eight dwellings. 

       East Albany (p. o.), a hamlet located in the eastern part of the town, on the creek road, contains one church (Roman Catholic), a store, and a few dwellings. 

       Charles Hood's sawmill located on road 2, is operated by the waters of Clough's brook, is supplied with circular saws, employs five men, and cuts 240,000 feet of lumber per annum. 

       C.A. Church's saw and grist-mill, located at South Albany, does custom work, operating one run of stones and an upright saw. 

       George W. Orme's carriage shop, located, at South Albany, is furnished with steam-power, giving the proprietor facilities for turning out all kinds of work in his line with promptness and of a superior quality. 

       Orlando J. Cass's shingle-mill, located on road 45, is operated by steampower, and gives employment to five men, and cuts 2,000,000 shingles per year. 

       It was over six years after the town was chartered before any survey of the territory was made, the outlines of the town being run and the corners noted September 23, 1788. Few of the proprietors became actual settlers, and most of them forfeited their title by failing to comply with the conditions of the charter in this respect.This liability to forfeitures of rights served to materially retard the settlement of the town, and disputed titles and a partial survey even drove away some who would otherwise have become residents. 

       The first settlement was commenced just prior to 1800, and at that date the whole population numbered ten or fifteen families. Of these, Hayden & Jesse Rogers were located in the southwestern part, on the old military road, David P. Cobb in the northwestern part, on the old county road, Eli & Aaron Chamberlin about three miles northeast of the Center, Silas Downer, in the southeastern part, while the Fairfields, Coggswells, Neals, and Skinners were scattered all along the center road from Irasburgh south. 

       The town was organized March 27, 1806, the meeting being warned by Thomas Coggswell, upon petition of William Hayden, Jesse Rogers, Eli Chamberlin, Joseph Fairfield, Benjamin Neal, Walter Neal, Jacob Fairfield, and Daniel Skinner.  Thomas Coggswell was chosen moderator; Benjamin Neal, clerk; Silas Downer, Eli Chamberlin, and Thomas Coggswell, selectmen and listers; Benjamin Neal, constable and collector; and Walter Neal, William Hayden, and Silas Hubbard, highway surveyors. The first justice of the peace was Thomas Coggswell, chosen in 1805, who was also the first representative, in 1808. 

       The first freemen's meeting was held on the first Tuesday in September, 1807, when Hon. Isaac Tichenor, received one vote for governor, and Hon. Israel Smith nine. Hon. Paul Brigham received nine votes for lieutenant-governor, and Benjamin Swan ten for treasurer. The first birth was that of Stanton, son of Isaac Fairfield. The first female born was Fanny, daughter of David Cobb.   Mr. Fairfield drove the first cow into the town, and the cow's old bell was used for the first milk-pail. The first record of deaths is dated July 25, 1808, that of Amy Neal, daughter of Benjamin and Lucy Neal, aged two years and one month, and Opha Gale, aged two years and seven months. The first road through the town crossed the southwesterly corner, nearly the same as the one that now leads from Craftsbury to Lowell. It was opened in the summer of 1779, by Gen. Hazen, with a part of his regiment. Isaac and Jacob Fairfield are said to have been the first settlers in the town, coming in 1798. The first frame barn was built by Isaac Cobb, when all the inhabitants of the town, seven men and three women, turned out to assist at the raising. 

       Nathaniel Babcock, one of the first settlers in the town, came here from Connecticut. He remained only about two years when he removed to Craftsbury, where he resided the remainder of his long life. 

       William Hayden, Sen., from Covington, came to Albany in 1801, and purchased a lot of land, though he resided in the adjoining town of Craftbury. About a year after he sold this property to a Mr. Kelsey, and returned to Covington. In 1804, he bought lot N0. 4, in this town, upon which he located that year. Mr. Hayden married Silence Dale, of Bridgewater, Mass., in 1798. He was at one time possessed of considerable wealth, and was noted for his success and shrewdness in business, though he lost his property by endorsing paper for others.  He opened and kept the first public house licensed in the town, was the first military captain, and was also the only man ever appointed collector of customs here. He also erected the first cloth manufacturing establishment and the first store in the town. He died in the State of New York, in 1846, aged sixty-nine years. Mrs. Hayden died in 1872, aged ninety-four vears. William Hayden, Jr., was born in Craftsbury, Vt., in 1800, and is now the oldest resident of Albany. He commenced his business life as a railroad contractor at an early day, but through an imperfect knowledge of the business he became financially embarrassed. He then began at the bottom round of the ladder, determined to master the business, and worked for three years as a day laborer, when he again commenced business, and for twenty-two years was eminently successful, building about 586 miles of road. He also carried on a mercantile business in Manchester, N.H., and was also engaged in mercantile pursuits in this town until 1850. 

       Chester Tenney, from Hanover, N.H., came to Albany at an early day and located on road 6, purchasing his farm of Reuben Skinner, who had made some clearings, built a log house and frame barn. Mr. Tenney moved his family into the house, where he resided until his death, in 1837. He left a family of three sons. The eldest, Lyman P., purchased the homestead and added to it from time to time until he increased it from 100 acres to over 400 acres.  He married Louisa Page, June 17, 1844, the union being blessed with six children. Lyman P. died May 20, 1882. Four of his children are now living, viz. George N. and Fred N., who reside with their mother on the home farm, Mrs. Cornelius E. Rogers, residing in the southern part of the town, and Mrs. Solomon Corey, who resides in East Hatley, P.Q.  Of the other two sons of Chester, George N. commenced the study of medicine, and died in New York city while taking his last course of lectures, and John F. located as a farmer adjoining the home farm. He has represented the town in the State legislature one term, as did also his brother, Lyman P., serving two terms, and three years as assistant judge. These highly respected brothers were also honored by all the other offices in the gift of their townsmen.  Of John F. Tenney's children, three are living, two in this town, Frank W., a farmer, residing in West Albany, and Florence (Mrs. James Gilmour), residing in the eastern part of the town. 

       Dr. Dyar Bill was born in Hartland, Vt., April 7, 1792. He studied medicine with his brother, a physician at Topsham, Vt., and commenced the practice of his profession in that place. After a year's experience, he located at Cabot for another year, then came to Albany, there being at that time only twelve or fifteen families in the town. He immediately commenced practice, being the first resident physician in the township, and such was the confidence the people had in his ability that no other physician was called for a period of over forty years, and after that, so long as his health allowed him to practice, no physician could take his place. He was twice married and was the father of eleven children, only one of whom, George A., resides in the town. He represented his townsmen four terms in the legislature, and died February 22, 1876, aged eighty-four years. 

       Aaron and Moses Chamberlin, twin brothers were born at Hopkinton, Mass., July 3, 1774. September 11, 1796, Moses was united in marriage with Miss Sally Bullen, and soon after located in Rockingham, Vt. In May, 1804, he came to Albany and located soon after on Chamberlin Hill, upon the farm now occupied by his son, Martin C. Chamberlin, where he resided until his death, November 2, 1843. Mrs. Chamberlin died July 2, 1861, aged eighty-three years.  Four of their thirteen children now reside here. 

       Eli Chamberlin was born in Rockingham, Vt., married Sally Stanley, and settled in Rockingham as a farmer, but failing to get a valid title to his land, he immigrated with his  family to this town, in 1805, and settled near his brother, Aaron, on Chamberlin Hill. He raised a family of eleven children, eight daughters and three sons, only two of whom are now living, Eli, Jr., residing on the old homestead at the age of ninety-two years, and Mrs. Mary Crandall, residing in the State of Ohio.  Eli, Sen., died in 1832, aged sixty- nine years. Eli, Jr., at the age of twenty-six years married Miss A. Delano, and commenced farming on the River road, where he resided about fourteen years, then returned to the old homestead. He has held all the town offices except that of town clerk, - commencing when quite young, serving as selectman, collector, and constable without pay for several years, though he was finally allowed fifty cents per day. As selectman he has located and built most of the roads in the town. In all the various positions he has held, he guarded the interests of his town with the same vigilance, care and economy that he would his own. He is the father of nine children, six of whom are now living, all highly respected people. 

       David Cobb came to Albany about 1800, and made a pitch in the southwesterly part of the town, though he never located upon it. He located on several other farms, building in all five log houses, all of which he occupied for a time. His last location was a little northeast of the center, and is still known as the Cobb place. He was the father of four sons and two daughters. Fanny, his oldest child, was the first female born in the town, November 13, 1802. He died at the home of his son James, in Irasburgh, June 28, 1851, aged seventy-four, years. Three of his sons are living, Charles B., in Coventry village, James P., in Pittsburgh, Mass., and Joseph, in Ashbury Park, N.J. 

       Anson Hand, from Duxbury, Vt., came to Albany about 1812, and located where A. G. Cheney now resides, which was his home until his death, in 1863, aged seventy-two years. He was the father of three children, all of whom married, lived, and died in Albany. The oldest, Clarissa, married Charles Waterman and was the mother of three children. Cynthia married Lorenzo Davis and was the mother of three children, two of whom are now living. The only son, Orra, died without issue. 

       Jonathan Morris, born in 1795, came to Craftsbury with his father in 1809. When quite a young man he worked for the farmers in Albany, and after he was married he lived in adjoining towns until 1835, when he permanently located in the southern part of this town, where he resided until his death, in 1874, aged about seventy-nine years. He married Lucinda Cross and reared a family of ten children, six daughters and four sons. Three of the sons were soldiers in the Union army, and one died in the service. Two sons and a daughter now reside in the town, viz.: Myron K., a farmer in the southern part of the town, Maria S., in West Albany, and Almon E., on road 32. The other two daughters are residents of Massachusetts. 

       Enoch Rowell, a native of New Hampshire, married Betsey Hodges, of Lebanon, N.H., and resided a time in Plainfield, and from there removed to Irasburgh, in 1806, and thence to this town in 1812, and located upon the farm now occupied by his son, Zuar Rowell, and his daughter, Mrs. Cass, and her husband.    In company with his brother William he purchased the farm, and upon it was built the first and only distillery ever operated in the town. They contracted to pay a stipulated number of gallons of potato whiskey for the land, and when the contract was filled the still was stopped. After paying for the farm the brothers divided it between them, William taking the northern half and Enoch the southern, which contained the buildings where he resided the remainder of his life, dying in 1839, aged sixty years. His wife survived him until 1865, aged eighty-six years. William died in 1870, aged eighty-three years. Both of these brothers took a decided interest in public affairs, and both held town offices, William was a representative in the legislature twenty-two years. He was also a strong Methodist and his house was always made the home of itinerant ministers. 

       Joel Cheney, from Waterford, Vt., came to Albany in 1818, and located on road 33, where John Clark now resides. His son, A. G. Cheney still owns fifty acres of the original farm. Mr. Cheney completed a log-house, which had already been commenced, in which he and his family resided thirteen years. The location known as Clark's road was then an unbroken wilderness, without even a line of marked trees. He experienced all the inconveniences of the pioneers, being obliged to cover his seed with a hand-rake for the first two seasons. Mrs. Cheney was a tailoress and used to say that she could clear land with her needle faster than her husband could with his axe.    They jointly cleared a farm of 175 acres, when Mr. Cheney died July 99,  1849, aged fifty-eight years, and Mrs. Cheney died July 6, 1861, aged sixty-five years. Five of their six children are now living, one, A.G., in Albany. 

       Eliphalet Rowell, brother of Enoch, William, Daniel and Converse, was born February 8, 1796, and came to Albany, from Plainfield, N.H., in 1818. He run the distillery for his brothers, Enoch and William, about a year, then purchased the farm where his son, Levi, now resides, near South Albany. He married Sally True, of Plainfield, and reared eight children, five of whom are yet living, and died in 1875, aged seventy-nine years. 

       Converse Rowell, the youngest of the Rowell brothers, came to Albany, from Plainfield, N.H., about 1820. He married Orpha Chamberlin, daughter of Aaron Chamberlin, and in his early life here taught school winters. He lived for a time with his brother, Daniel, but afterwards purchased a farm on the Creek road, where Mr. Ruen now resides. His son, Willard, chose the legal profession, and is now in Arizona. Converse died in the autumn of 1882, aged eighty-four years. Mrs. Rowell died a few years previous. 

       Daniel Rowell immigrated to Irasburgh, from Plainfield, N.H., when twenty-three years of age, and two years later married Miss Mary Johnson, of that town. In 1820, he came to Albany and located on Chamberlin hill, where he resided until his death, aged sixty-two years. Uncle Daniel, as he was familiarly called, was noted for his excellent judgment and unquestioned integrity. He was extensively employed by the merchants of Craftsbury in buying cattle and other stock. He reared a family of eight children, five of whom are now living, Mrs. Plumley, Enoch, Mrs. Miles, and Mrs. Frazer, in this town, and Mrs. Carter, in Craftsbury. 

       Josiah Cooledge came to Albany, from Hillsborough, N.H., about 1820, and located at the Center, where his grandson, George T. Cooledge, now resides. He was the father of seven daughters and two sons, and, died at the advanced age of seventy-four years. His son Harvey retained the homestead until his death, in 1861, when his son, George T., came into possession. 

       Roger Willis, born in Lebanon, N.H., married Jerusha Cleveland, of Hanover, N.H., and came to Albany in 1821, locating on the Creek road, about three and one-half miles south of Irasburgh court-house, where he resided the remainder of his long life, dying at the great age of ninety-four years. He was the father of eleven children, three of whom are living, — the oldest, Lathrop, resides in Lowell, Samuel C. occupies the old homestead, and Rev. Dyer is pastor of the M. E. church, of Elmore. 

       Joshua Hyde came to Albany, from Brookfield, Vt., in 1823, and located on the River road, where Ira Pierce now resides, where he died at the age of sixty-five years. His large family all settled in the town, but later on became scattered, so that only one, Mrs. Chester Hyde, aged seventy-three years, now resides here. Four of his grandchildren are residents of the town. 

       Daniel  Lawrence came to Albany, from Troy, N.H., in February, 1824, and located at the Center, where his son Daniel and grandson George F. now reside. He reared a family of eight children, only two of whom, Daniel and Maria (Mrs. Eli Chamberlin), now reside here. Mr. Lawrence died in 1866, aged eighty-seven years. 

       Rufus Billings Hovey came to Albany, from Brookfield, Vt., in 1827, and located on the River road, where his son, John B., now resides, where he died, in 1844, aged forty-nine years. He married Miss Polly Kendall, and reared a family of ten children, eight of whom are living, two, John B. and Mary A. (Mrs. Madison Cowles), in this town. He was twice chosen to represent his townsmen in the general assembly, and held the several town offices a number of terms. 

       Luke Story, from Plainfield, N.H., came to Albany in 1828, locating in the southeastern part of the town, where he resided until his death at the age of sixty-eight years. Mr. Story was greatly respected by his townsmen, and filled the offices of selectman and justice of the peace for a number of years. 

       John Paine, born in Brookfield, Vt., June 20, 1806, came to Albany in 1828, and located upon the farm now owned by his grandsons, Samuel C. and Charles P. Kimball. He married Miss Martha D. Colt, of Hadley, Mass., and reared seven children, only two of whom, Helen E. (Mrs. Abbey), of Westfield, Mass., and J. Wesley, of Baltimore, Md., are living. Mr. Paine took an active interest in town affairs, and was entrusted by his townmen with many of the offices in their gift. He was a decided Methodist and one of the pillars of the church. He died on the homestead in May, 1873, aged sixty-seven years. Mrs. Paine is still living, aged seventy-two years. 

       John Duckles, born in England, October 24, 1806, came to America when fifteen years of age, with his brothers, Joseph and Thomas. He resided in Massachusetts until 1831, then came to Albany and located upon the farm now owned and occupied by his adopted son, Charles Duckles. He married Miss Elizabeth Woodman, of Lowell, Mass., and died in 1831, aged seventy-five years. 

       John and Henry Chafey came to Albany from Brookfield, Vt., in 1831, and bought adjoining farms on road 6. John's farm is now owned and occupied by A. McGuire. John resided on the place until his death, in 1874, at the age  of seventy-seven years. He married Clarissa Leslie, and reared four children. Hiram's farm where he died in 1873, is now owned by M. P. Chafey.   He married Miss Asenath Kendall, who survived his death until 1882.  Of their family of eleven children, three reside in the town, M.B. Chafey, Mrs. Lucy Reynolds, and Mrs. P. C. Lamphear. 

       Timothy C. Miles was born in Danville, Vt, December 15, 1808, and came to Albany in 1832, locating in the eastern part of the town, where Duncan Buchanan now resides. He remained on the farm about five years, then moved to a farm on the river road, where he remained until 1878, when he left the farm to his son, A. Rufus, and has since lived a life of retirement. Mr. Miles has held the office of high sheriff two years, deputy sheriff twenty-two years, and constable and collector thirty-nine years. He has been twice married and is the father of eight children, four of whom are living, Daniel R., in Iowa, Franklin M., A. Rufus, and Effie J., in this town. 

       Hiram Moore was born November 3, 1798, and came to this town, from Plainfield, N.H., in 1832, locating on the Creek road, where he died, February 16, 1858, aged fifty-nine years. He married Miss Sarah Rowell and had born to him one son and a daughter. The son, Byron N., is a merchant and postmaster at East Albany. The daughter died at the age of twenty-five years. Mr. Moore served his townsmen in various positions of trust, among which that of representative, and took an active interest in the cause of religion and temperance, being a staunch Methodist. 

       John C. Dow was born at Walden, Vt., January 6, 1818. At the age of twenty-one years he began farming and stock dealing, in Craftsbury, and at the age of twenty-four years came to Albany. In 1843 he married Azuba, the eldest daughter of William Hayden, and began his usual business here and also acted as Mr. Hayden's agent in the mercantile business, continuing thus six years when he purchased the stock of his employer and built the first store in Albany village. He continued this business only about one year, however, when he sold out and commenced farming, at which he is still engaged. Mr. Dow was the pioneer of the cattle trade in Albany, which is carried on more extensively than in any other town in Vermont, there being over twenty dealers in the town now, who handle over three thousand head annually. He is also considerable of a lawyer, having taken out a lawyer's license from the government. No lawyer resided in the town, except about ten months in 1859-'60, until within the last five years, and all cases that could not be amicably settled by the litigants themselves, have usually been adjusted by him. Mr. and Mrs. Dow are the parents of six children, all living in Albany. 

       Thomas Williams, a native of Scotland, came to America about 1849, and soon after located his family on a farm in Albany, where his son Archibald now resides, and leaving his wife and sons to manage the same, worked at the molder's trade in Boston, Mass., where he commanded high wages, continuing thus as long as his health permitted him to labor. He died at Albany, in 1876, aged sixty-four years. 

       John Waters, a native of Ireland, came to America about forty years ago. In 1853, he married Miss Ellen McCarty, and in 1854, came to this town and located upon a farm upon road 33, where he still resides. Mr. Waters is an educated man, has amassed a large property, is highly respected and a hearty supporter of the Catholic Church. He has given his son and two daughters a good academic education, and is now a hale old man of seventy years. 

       During the War of the Union, Albany furnished 117 enlisted men, thirteen of whom died of disease in camp and hospital, four died in rebel prisons, six were killed in battle, seven were incarcerated in rebel prisons, five deserted, and fifty-one received town bounties, amounting in all to $ 12, 200.00. The case of Lucien L. Sanborn, who now resides in, this town, shows such a remarkable instance of tenacity of life that we deem it worthy of mention. He enlisted in Co. D., 6th Vt. Vols., October 15, 1861, and camped during the ensuing winter at Camp Griffin, about fifteen miles from Washington. April 6, 1862, he engaged in the battle of Lee's Mills, Va., and subsequently fought in eighteen battles and skirmishes, escaping from all without a scratch. But, in the battle of the Wilderness, May 6, 1864, he was struck in the right side of his head with a minnie ball, the missle hitting him on a level with his eye, about half way between that organ and the ear, passing out on the opposite side, below the left eye, while, almost at the same instant, he received another ball in the right shoulder. He remained on the field in an insensible condition about twenty-four hours, when he rallied, and was discovered by a detachment of soldiers who were engaged in carrying off their wounded. They carried him to their field hospital, dressed his wounds, and strange as it may appear, he recovered and was sent to Andersonville prison, July 27th, where he remained until about November 1st, then was sent to the hospital and was finally exchanged, about March 20, 1865, and soon after received his discharge from the service, at Montpelier. He is now totally blind in the left eye, nearly so in the right, the sense of smell being entirely destroyed, and that of taste but partially remaining. His pension of $24.00 per month we are sure no one covets. 

      The Congregational church, located at Albany, was organized August 16, 1818, by Rev. James Hobert, of Berlin, and Rev. James Parker, of Enosburgh, at the dwelling of Moses Delano, and consisted of Aaron Chamberlin, Moses Chamberlin, Theodore S. Lee, and Mrs. Hannah Skinner. The first settled minister was Elias W. Kellogg, in 1826. The first house of worship was erected at the Center, in 1841, and was destroyed by fire in February, 1846.  During the following April the society purchased half of the Baptist Society's edifice, on the River road, retaining the same until the present house was erected, in 1868. The society has no regular pastor at present. 

       The Methodist church, located at Albany, was organized in 1818, and in 1833, the first church building was erected, at the Center, which was used until 1843, when the present edifice was built. The society is now in a flourishing condition, with Rev. H. T. Jones, pastor.   The society at South Albany is under the charge of Rev. G. W. Ellis. 

      The Freewill Baptist church, located at East Albany, was organized by Rev. T. P. Moulton and Rev. H. W. Harris, November 14, 1842, with ten members. Rev. J. E. Flanders was the first pastor. The church building was erected in the summer of 1857, and is to be superceeded by a new structure during the present year, 1883. The society now has sixty-five resident, and forty non-resident members, with Rev. R. W. Collins, pastor.

     St. John of the Cross Roman Catholic church, located at East Albany, was organized by Rev. Father Michael McCauley, in, 1874, Rev. Father John Michaud being the first pastor. The church building, a comfortable wood structure capable of seating 180 persons, was erected during the same year, at a cost of $ 3,300,  and is now valued, including grounds, at $ 3,800. The society has 225 members, with Rev. Father Norbert Proulx, of Newport, pastor. 

(Source: Gazetteer of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page  190-192)

This section was provided by Tom Dunn.

1883 –1884 Albany Business Directory