Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
XX indexVermont  





      TUNBRIDGE lies in the southern part of the county, in latitude 43° 54' and longitude 4° 32', and is bounded north by Chelsea, east by Strafford, south by Royalton, in Windsor county, and west by Randolph. It was granted by Governor Benning WENTWORTH, of New Hampshire, to Abraham ROOT, Timothy BRONSON, Joshua WARNER, Ephraim THOMAS, John JACKSON. Noah THOMAS, Luke CAMP, Joel CAMP, Hezekiah CAMP, Hezekiah CAMP, Jr. Hartman VANDOZER, Moses CORBIT, Martin ROOT, Samuel BUSH, William ROBERTS, Jesse WELDON, John WELDON, James WELDON, Obadiah NOBLE, Obadiah NOBLE, Jr., William WHITNEY, Samuel BIDE, Ezekiel ROBERTS, Elisha NOBLE, Theophilus WESTOVER, Elisha WARNER, Abiel CAMP, Philip CULLENDER, Joseph HAMMER, George PALMER, Samuel LANE, David WALKER, Ebenezer FLETCHER, Ebenezer FLETCHER, Jr., Stephen HOLLY, Joseph WATERHOUSE, Cotton FLETCHER, Abiel WILLIAMS, Asa NORTON, William CORPE, Samuel LEE, Roswell KILBOURN, Benjamin PICKET, Joseph PICKET, Nathaniel PEASE, Timothy SEYMOUR, Henry ALLYN, Joseph TUCKER, James NICHOLS, Ezra HICCOCK, Benjamin TUCKER, Walter BRIANT, Esq., William BUCK, William FITCH, Joseph NEWMARCH, Esq., M. H. T. WENTWORTH, Esq., Robert TRAILL, Esq., George BRINLEY, David ALLEN, John DEANE, Obadiah MOORE, James SAXTON, David HADEN., Daniel TAYLOR, Jr., and Samuel CATLIN.

      The township contains 23,040 acres, the bounds given by the charter being as follows :

"Beginning at the southwesterly corner of Strafford, from thence north 57 degrees west, six miles; thence north 36 degrees east, six miles; thence south 59 degrees east, six miles, to the northwesterly corner of Strafford aforesaid; thence south 36 degrees west, six miles, by Strafford aforesaid, to the southwesterly corner thereof, being the bound begun at."
      The surface of the town is hilly and broken, abounding with fertile farms and rich grazing lands extending from the valleys to the summits of the hills on either side. The town is divided into two nearly equal parts by the First branch of White river, which runs through the territory from north to south, and upon which are located all the manufacturing industries of the town. Across this stream are ten goodly sized bridges, besides numerous smaller ones, all within the town limits, showing the appropriateness of its name, although it received its appellation before any bridges were built. The highest points of land are Bricknell hill and Town ledge, both near the northern boundary, Whitney hill in the northwestern part, and East hill. The center of the town is marked by a single dome-shaped elevation. The main stream, flowing as it does through the middle of the town, forms, with its tributaries, an outline not unlike that of a large tree with spreading branches. Along these smaller streams, and dotting the hillsides, are located the productive lands and pleasant homes of the husbandmen. Winding through the beautiful valley and along the Branch, from South Royalton to Chelsea, lies a most delightful carriage drive of thirteen miles, over which passes daily the time-honored four-horse coach, carrying the mail and passengers to and from Tunbridge and Chelsea.

      The rocks underlying the town are entirely of the calciferous mica schist formation, with a small bed of granite, syenite and protogine in the northeastern part. Two mineral springs, which are somewhat noted, also exist in the town. One is a white sulphur spring, the waters of which have been used beneficially by many persons suffering from cutaneous diseases. It is located on "Spring road," one and a half miles from Tunbridge Center, is owned by Mrs. A. M. Gould, and was discovered in 1805. The waters of the other spring are also valued for their medicinal properties.

      The first proprietors' meeting of which there is any record was held at the house of John HUTCHINSON; May 28, 1783; but the minutes of this meeting show that others were previously held, although no records of them are to be found. Elias Curtis was the first proprietors' clerk. At this meeting it was:

"Voted to allow Jesse MELDON, Peter MASON and Hezekiah HUTCHINSON twenty pounds for service in laying out part of the township of Tunbridge in: Anno Domini 1774.

"Voted to allow Hezekiah HUTCHINSON four pounds, seven shillings for getting the charter ratified, and putting three warnings of said meetings in the papers.

"Voted, provided Elias CURTIS will build a good saw-mill within eighteen months, and a good grist-mill within two years and six months, to give him a deed of one hundred acres of land above Mr. Jonathan WALDEN's lower pitch, with the privilege of the stream forever.

"Voted to lay out this town into hundred-acre lots.

“Voted to chuse a committee to lay out said town. Chose Nathan MORGAN, Calvin PARKHURST, Capt. Lasell, John PARKHURST, and Elias CURTIS to be the committee for the above purpose.

"Voted to raise ten dollars on each original right or share of land for the purpose of laying out the town and other necessary charges. Chose Elias CURTIS collector.

"Voted to allow Mr. Barnabus STRONG fifty pounds for laying out Tunbridge, he agrees to deliver the proprietors' clerk a good plan of said Tunbridge on parchment.

"Voted that two large books in folio are purchased to contain between three and five hundred pages, well bound and on good paper.

"Voted that the Prudential Committee hire labor on roads at four shillings and six pence per day."

      From the date of the charter of the town, in 1761, until 1782, a period of over twenty years, we can find no complete records, rendering it impossible to give a connected account of the proceedings previous to that year.

      It is known that the town was organized March 21, 1786, although no, records of such organization can at the present time be found. Alexander STEDMAN was the first town clerk; Abel CAMP, first constable; Moses ORDWAY, Elijah TRACY, and James GRAY constituted the first board of selectmen. Following we give a few interesting selections from the town records

      In a warning for a town meeting, dated December 16, 1793, the sixth article reads as follows: "To see if they will agree to have the smallpox in town by anoculation." At a meeting held July 15, 1793, they "Chose and appointed John PEABODY, Cyrus CHAPMAN and Ebenezer WELLS, choristers and to lead in singing." June 24, 1793, "Chose Reuben HATCH to wait on the Council on Ordination day," and "Voted to provide at the town's cost for all gentleman of a liberal education at Mr. Elias CURTIS and Hez'k. HUTCHINSON's to dine." December 29, 1806, "Voted to admit the smallpox by innoculcation."  March 4, 1809, "Voted to raise two cents on the dollar to defray the expense of the town, half cash and half grain, cash down and grain in February next." At a meeting held in March, 1811, it was "Voted to give a bounty of seventeen cents for each crow killed by any person in Tunbridge."

      It was customary to "sell the town poor" at public vendue to the lowest bidder, the bids ranging from .fifty cents to $1.46 as the price of board per week. Each owner of sheep and cattle was obliged to have an "ear mark," which was placed on file with the town clerk, and by which his stock was designated.

      The population of Tunbridge in 1880 was 1,252. In 1886 the town had sixteen school districts and the same number of common schools, employing twenty-seven female teachers, to whom was paid an average weekly salary, including board, of $4.23. There were 278 scholars, seventeen of whom attended private schools. The entire income for school purposes was $1,725.39, while the total expenditures were $2,030.64, with Miss V. L. FARNHAM, superintendent.

      TUNBRIDGE, locally known as "The Market," is a post village situated about one mile south from the center of the town in the pretty valley of the First branch of White river, at which place the valley narrows perceptibly, widening again into broad intervals below the village at the south end of its main street, which is shaded by beautiful maple trees. The village contains one church (Congregational), a hotel, woolen-mill, one large general store, a grocery, millinery store, saw and grist-mill, blacksmith shop, harness shop, carriage shop, and about forty dwellings. The beautiful grounds of the Union Agricultural society are also located here.
      NORTH TUNBRIDGE (p. o.) lies about two miles north from "The Market" on the Branch, and contains two churches (Baptist and Universalist), one general store, an iron foundry in which are manufactured agricultural implements, a carriage shop, blacksmith shop, grist-mill, saw and planing-mill, carpenter shop, shingle and cider-mill, a fork and hoe-handle manufactory, and about thirty dwellings.
      SOUTH TUNBRIDGE (p. o.) is a hamlet located near the southern boundary of the town, on the Branch, and contains one church (Methodist), a saw and shingle-mill and wood turning shop, a carriage shop, and about a dozen dwellings.
      GAY Brothers' woolen-mill, at Tunbridge Center, was established by the present proprietors in 1868, and has since been successfully conducted by them. The members of the firm are J. F., J. S., and O. A. Gay. They manufacture satinets, cassimeres, flannels and stocking yarns, giving employment to about twenty-five persons.

      Dana B. GILES's saw-mill, located on the Branch, on road 16, was bought by the present owner in 1874. The mill is operated by water-power and saws about 150,000 feet of lumber per year, including custom work.

      F.H. LASELL's shingle and cider-mill, at North Tunbridge, has been operated by the present proprietor since 1885. He turns out about 200,000 shingles and from 800 to 1,200 barrels of cider per year, and also does wood-turning.

      James D. CORLISS's grist-mill, in North Tunbridge village, does custom grinding. The proprietor also deals in grain and feed.

      A.J. WILLS's saw, shingle and wood-turning mill, at South Tunbridge, on the Branch, has been owned and operated by Mr. WILLS since November 10, 1864. He cuts about 150,000 feet of lumber and 250,000 shingles per year.

      George BROWN &' Sons' saw and Planing mill and rake manufactory, at North Tunbridge, is located on the First branch of White river. The business was formerly conducted by W. W. & G. L. SWAN, and by BROWN & FLANDERS, and was purchased by the present proprietors in October, 1885. They deal in lumber and do custom sawing, turning out about 150,000 feet annually. They also manufacture 400 dozen hand-rakes, besides a quantity of fork and hoe-handles, and are about to put in machinery for the manufacture of chair stock. The mill is operated by water-power.

      HAYWARD & KIBBY's saw and grist-mill, located in Tunbridge Center village, was established in 1864 by Mr. HAYWARD and Earl CUSHMAN, Mr. KIBBY assuming an interest in the business in 1871. They manufacture :about 300,000 feet of rough, lumber per year, and do a general grist-milling business. The mill is operated by water-power.

      R.C. & C.B. SMITH's foundry, at North Tunbridge village, was established in 1855 by W. F. SMITH. The present proprietors, who are brothers, have conducted the business since the spring of. 1866. They manufacture plows and cultivators and do a general foundry business.

      Thomas JENKYN's carriage-making business, located on road 28, two miles northeast from Tunbridge Center, was commenced by the present proprietor in 1878. He makes a specialty of road and speed wagons and sulkies, receiving orders from the adjacent towns and counties, from Boston, Mass., and other eastern cities. He is a thorough mechanic, and is master of every branch of his business, guaranteeing all work from his shop. He turns out from fifteen to twenty new carriages annually.

      Ira MUDGETT's carriage and repair shop, at South Tunbridge village, was established by the present owner in 1866. November 19, 1880, his shop and dwelling were destroyed by fire; but he has rebuilt and continues the business, doing custom work. He is also engaged in bridge building.

      S.A. DEAN's carriage and sign painting business, at Tunbridge Center, was established by Mr. DEAN in 1866. He builds carriages, sleighs, etc., and does all the work connected with the different branches of his business, besides general repairing.

      The Union Agricultural Society of Tunbridge was organized in 1875, and the first fair was held October 13th and 14th of that year. It has been a very successful organization, and holds annual fairs and races, occupying beautiful grounds of twenty-two acres, with all the necessary buildings, and one of the best half-mile tracks in New England. Following are its officers for the present year (1887): D. W. COWDRAY, of South Royalton, president; John P. FISH, of Washington, 1st vice-president; N. H. ASTIN, of Tunbridge, 2d vice-president; H. R. HAYWARD, of Tunbridge, treasurer; E. O. LYMAN, of Tunbridge, secretary; D. C. JONES, of South Royalton, marshal; J. M. WHITNEY, E. O. LYMAN, and W. W. SWAN, all of Tunbridge, executive committee; Mason K. GRIFFITH, of Tunbridge, general superintendent.

      According to the accounts given it is somewhat difficult to decide just who was the first settler; but it is generally conceded that Moses ORDWAY made the first permanent settlement near the eastern boundary of the town, about 1776. He was soon followed by James LYON, Elias CURTIS, and the HUTCHINSON brothers, one of whom sowed the first wheat grown in the town upon what is now the town poor-farm.

      The custom of these early settlers was to first come on alone and prepare for their future homes by clearing small patches of land and "rolling up” rude log huts, then bringing their wives through the unbroken forests (their only guide being "blazed" trees) to share the hopes and toil, the hardships and privations of pioneer life. To these were soon added other families, and what was shortly before a wilderness, inhabited only by wild animals, began, by the patient industry of willing hands, cheered on by hopeful hearts, to assume a new aspect. January 25, 1780, was the most eventful day thus far in the history of the little colony, the event being the birth of James LYON, Jr., the first child born in Tunbridge. All the settlers gathered to pay homage to, the new comer.

      We learn from the descendants of Moses ORDWAY, now residing in Tunbridge, that Mr. ORDWAY's estimable wife bore him twenty-two children, eighteen of whom lived to be married. It is said of this family of many children that it was a difficult matter to provide them all with boots or shoes, at times there being but one pair for the whole number of boys, and they were obliged to "take turns," first one and then another wearing them to the forest to procure wood, while others who had none would warm chips by the fireplace, and, laying them on the snow, would stand upon them while they prepared the fuel for use.

      The HUTCHINSON brothers settled near the river, and Elias CURTIS just south of the town line. Robert HAVEN, with a family of nearly grown up children, settled near what is now South Tunbridge, and a family by the name of BUTTON located on the opposite side of the river. These families gave considerable impetus to the young settlement. They cheerfully submitted to privations and hardships, and worked with a will in anticipation of a happy future. Then, too, the accessions which from time to time were made to the colony were advantageous to all; for by making "bees" and helping each other the work of clearing and building went on more rapidly, promising well for this hardy little band of pioneers, and when a young man began preparations for "housekeeping," how cheerfully would they all join in aiding him to make a home as comfortable as the times would admit.

      The colony now enjoyed peace and prosperity. The barns were for the first time well-filled with the fruits of their summer's toil, and their cellars held ample stores for the coming winter. All were happy, and those who had not moved their families into town were getting ready to bring them to share these hard-earned comforts and dispel the wintry gloom from their lonely firesides.
About day-break on the morning of October 16, 1780, the inhabitants of this quiet little settlement were awakened by the fiendish yells of a large body of Indians sent out from Canada on an errand of murder and pillage under the command of a British lieutenant named HORTON, a more extended account of which incursion will be found in the County Chapter of this work. Nearly everything of value was destroyed, barns with their contents were burned, the savages feeding the flames with the furniture from the homes of their helpless victims. All who could, fled, as resistance was useless and meant instant death. Those who endeavored to escape were pursued, and if captured, were treated in the most barbarous manner. A number of persons were literally cut in pieces and scalped, and others taken prisoners and hurried to Canada, where they were turned over to the British at $8 per head. No pen can adequately describe the sufferings which this little band was compelled to endure before they finally regained their liberty.

      Moses ORDWAY and family, who lived a short distance away, heard the attack and concealed themselves for several days in the woods, their youngest child being then but three weeks old. The mercy apparently shown to the women and children was probably due to the fact that their scalps brought no bounty from the British. Most of the women and children who were left sought refuge with the friends whom then had left but a short time before. A few bravely faced the winter with hardly anything upon which to subsist. The men who were taken captive eventually returned to their friends and again engaged in tilling the soil and the building up of a township. Many who were thought to be dead, again appeared and began anew the work from which they had been so ruthlessly taken.

      About this time the Revolutionary war ended and many new families, besides some who had been here before, settled in different parts of the. town. From that time onward its growth was more rapid and its prosperity assured.

      In 1785 Dea. Elijah TRACY, with his wife and one child, came to Tunbridge and settled on what is now known as the "Tracy farm." At this time their nearest neighbor to the north was a family living at Montpelier. Upon arriving at their rude hut Mrs. TRACY proceeded to prepare their dinner while the Deacon arranged a table, using a stump which had been left in the cabin, it being inconvenient to remove it. Their furniture consisted of the stump table with brush for a table cloth, one kettle, a bedstead, and a few pieces of crockery, the kettle serving the double purpose of teapot and meat kettle. In just six weeks after moving into their new home Mrs. TRACY visited Mrs. MORGAN, and on returning found her house and its contents in ashes. With the help of sympathizing friends they soon had another home as cozy as the first, and happiness again reigned in their household. Deacon TRACY reared a family of five children and accumulated a handsome property. He was a devoted christian, ever abounding in good works, and died at an advanced age. Miss Jerusha S. TRACY, who resides on a part of the old, farm, is the only one of the family now living.

      Cyrus TRACY, a brother of the Deacon, came into town with his family about 1786 and settled on West hill. He built the third frame house in town, and reared a family of seven sons and six daughters, no death occurring in the family for over sixty-four years. He built the first saw and grist-mill in Tunbridge, at what is now known as "The Market." Alexander STEDMAN, who was the first town clerk, built a house where the first settled minister, Rev. D. H. WILLISTON, afterwards lived. Dr. COWDRY, the first physician in town, settled on the "Spring road" near C. W. SMITH's present home. Peter BRANCH, a very tall man, commenced a settlement a little above the north village. Dea. DEWEY, a quiet and very good man, cleared a farm near the present town farm.

      The population now increased rapidly, by numerous new settlers and by births. As has been mentioned Mrs. Cyrus TRACY became the mother of thirteen children, Mrs. Seth AUSTIN of fourteen or fifteen, and Capt. John MOODY, who lived on the East hill, reared a family of ten sons and daughters. Capt. MOODY built the first frame barn in town, and "snaked" the boards through the woods from Strafford with one horse, his unmarried sister riding the horse.

      In 1787 the town elected Seth AUSTIN its first representative to the state legislature, and he rode to the capitol on horseback. At this time so many new families ware coming to town it was impossible to procure grain enough to supply their needs, and much suffering ensued. Dea. Elijah TRACY and Dea. Hezekiah HUTCHINSON built frame houses at about the same time, which was the first is an open question; but Dea. HUTCHINSON certainly has the honor of being the first to erect two frame houses in the town. He had scarcely finished the first when it caught fire and burned to the ground. He had been to Connecticut for money and was returning with it in his pocket, to pay the men who were finishing the mansion, into which his family had just moved, and just as he came in sight of his new house it was in flames. This was towards night. The fire caught in the shavings and spread with such rapidity that the family barely escaped. The mother, missing her little son of two or three summers, saw him through the window, curled up in the large fire-place, calling for help. She implored the men to rescue him, but they, thinking it was impossible, refused, when she rushed through the flames and brought hem out safely just as his father arrived. Dea. HUTCHINSON was not the man to be discouraged, however, though his new house, furniture and provisions were destroyed. He paid off his men and went to work again to erect another house on the same spot, into which he soon moved his family and erected an altar unto the Lord where he daily held family prayers. He was apt and sometimes eccentric, but carried his religious influence wherever he went. He bore his share of the burdens in town and church affairs, reared seven children, and lived to the extreme age of ninety-nine years.

      Philip FARNHAM was born September 22, 1764, and died September 1, 1850. He came from Connecticut to Tunbridge when a young man, and married Hannah BEMENT, April 6, 1786. Nine children were born to them, viz.; Freelove, Horace, Philip, Jr., Harley, Patty, Heman, Phebe, Kirtland, Osman, Peter, and Oramel. His wife died, and he then married Hannah SANBORN, in July, 1804, by whom five children were born, viz.: Caroline, Polly, John, Mason, and Clarissa. Freelove, born April 13, 1787, married Daniel SANBORN, settled in Lowell, Vt., and was the mother of nine boys and two girls. Horace was born July 8, 1789. He married Sarah HIBBARD, and settled in this town on the George CUSHMAN farm, where he built a saw-mill, in which he labored. He had six children, viz.: Milo, Horace, Jr., Hibbard, Abigail, Sarah Ann, and William. Milo married Laura HOWE and they had three children -- Charles, Hibbard, and one who died in infancy. Milo lived in this town the greater part of his life, and died here. Of his two sons, Charles removed to Illinois a few years ago, and Hibbard married Mary Jane TUCKER and resides on a farm in Royalton, Windsor county. Horace, Jr., married ____ CILLEY and removed to Illinois. Hibbard died when a young man. Abigail married Hazen ALEXANDER and lived on the farm where their son John now resides. Sarah Ann married ____ NORRIS and moved to the northern part of the state. William married, first, Sarah HUTCHINS, by whom he had one child, William, Jr., and second, Laura HUTCHINS, a sister of his first wife, and resides on a farm in Royalton with his son William.

      Philip FARNHAM, Jr., was born August 15, 1791. He married Nellie CLEMENT, and their five children were William, Wallace, Emily, Martha, and one who died in infancy. Philip lived in Tunbridge the most of his life and worked at blacksmithing. His last years were spent in Illinois, where he removed with his family, and where he, his wife, and two children, Wallace and Emily, have since died.

      Harley FARNHAM, born May 25, 1793, married ____ LEAVITT, by whom he had two children, James L. and Mary Ann. He worked at the tanner's trade in Brookfield for a number of years; then came to this town and built the house where William NOBLEs now lives, and afterwards bought and moved onto the farm now occupied by his son James L. The latter married Lena FULSOM and they had four children -- Henry, Clara, Effie, and a son who died in infancy. Henry is married and resides in Kansas. Clara married Bija. WHITNEY, has one child, and resides on a farm in Tunbridge. Mary Ann is dead.

      Patty FARNHAM was born March 17, 1795, married Elias LYMAN, of Royalton, and they had eleven children -- nine girls and two boys.

      Heman FARNHAM was born January 9, 1797, and died March 30, 1878. He married Sally ENGLISH and removed to Geneseo, N. Y., where his wife died, when he married Mrs. Elizabeth VAN GORDER, by whom he had one child, Annie E. He removed to Bennett, N. Y., where he soon after died of pneumonia.

      Phebe Kirtland FARNHAM was born April 12, 1799, and died January 26, 1867. She married Horace GRIFFITH, by whom she had six children, when her husband died, and she married William HOWE, by whom she had two children. She resided successively in Duxbury, Moretown, and Reading.

      Osman Peter FARNHAM was born April 30, 1801, and died June 28, 1884. He married Lucy FELTON, by whom, he had six children, viz.: Amos P., Nancy A., Delia L., Luna B., Marcia O. and George D. The first years of their married life were spent in Tunbridge, in the house now occupied by Mason FARNHAM, when they bought and removed to the farm now occupied by their son George. He was a good carpenter and an excellent hand to build stone bridges. His son Amos P., who resides on a farm in this town, married Phebe JONES, by whom he has had eight children, viz.: Flora E., Ellen L., Levinnie L., Myrtie M., Hattie L., James S. Park Elwin, and Mable, of whom Flora married Lorenzo B. KIBBY, of Brookfield, and has three children, and Ellen married Myron C. FLANDERS and resides at North Tunbridge village. Nancy A., daughter of Osman P., married Royal H. Gove, by whom she has six sons and two daughters, and resides in Rochester, Minn. Delia L. married Joseph ROSS, has two sons and three daughters, and resides in Strafford. Marcia O. married, first, Dexter GODFREY, by whom she had two children, and second, Deacon PRESCOTT, of South Strafford. George D. married Mrs. Susan A. BAILEY.

      Oramel FARNHAM was born. April 30, 1803, and died August 28, 1830. He removed to Lowell, Vt., and lived with his sister Freelove until he was married. He had two or three children.

      Caroline FARNHAM was born January 7, 1805. She removed to Plattsburgh, N. Y., when eighteen years old, and married Walter THEW, by whom she had ten children.

      Polly FARNHAM was born July 15, 1807. She married Andrew H. REYNOLDS and spent the greater part of her life in Tunbridge. She had four children, all of whom are dead.

      John. FARNHAM was born August 29, 1809. He removed to New York, where he married and had born to him several children. He became insane and died in the insane asylum, at Buffalo, N. Y.

      Mason FARNHAM, born September 5, 1810, married Cylinda THOMPSON and located in Tunbridge, where he had born to him five children -- Carlos, Fred, Susan, Harriet, and Henry. Carlos married, first, Mary Ann TENNEY, who died after bearing him three children, only one of whom, Clara, is living. Fred is married and is proprietor of the hotel at West Fairlee. Susan married Henry HAYWARD, of this town, by whom she had six children. Harriet married George W. COMSTOCK, of Post Mills, and they have one child. Henry died at the age of ten years.

      Clarissa FARNHAM was born October 9, 1812, and died May 8, 1887. She married George TURNER, settled in Duxbury, and was the mother of five children.

      Capt. John MOODY, of English descent, married Elizabeth WEEKS and came from Gilmanton, N. H., and settled on East hill, in this town, about 1736. He was an active, enterprising man, and entered heartily into the task of clearing up the land and making for himself a home. He was eminently successful, owning at one time a thousand acres of land. He had born to him ten children, -- four sons and six daughters, -- all of whom grew to maturity, married, and settled near the old homestead. The eldest, Betsey, married Aretus HASKELL, and had three children; Sally married Joseph BADGER, and also had three children ; John married Sally SMITH, who bore him: nine children; Abigail married John NOYES, and had seven children; David married, first, Martha SMITH, by whom he had three children, and second, Mary TUCKER, who bore him one child; Dudley married Clara HUNT, by whom he had six children; Washington married Sally HALL, and they had five children; Thirza married John HALL, and had two children; Mahala, married Burham HUNT, and had four children; Judith married Hazen LITTLE, and also had four children. This large family have all passed away except John HALL, who still resides in this town. The grandchildren, great-grand children, and great-great-grandchildren are scattered over many states of the Union, and only two of the descendants bearing the name of MOODY remain in Tunbridge, Florentine D. and his son George W., son and grandson of Dudley,-and they reside near the old homestead. Capt. John MOODY and two of his sons, David and Dudley, were volunteeers in the War of 1812. Charles H. MOODY, son of David, was a volunteer in the civil war. Mrs. Charles F. AVERY, a daughter of Dudley, resides in Strafford. Harriet F. BUZZELL, another daughter of. Dudley, was born February 7, 1840, and Harriet E., daughter of Harriet F., was born February 7, 1879. Florentine D. MOODY, born September 9, 1834, married Mary H. CRAM, of Chelsea, November 18, 1856, and their children were Volney H., born March 26, 1859, married Nancy I. GAGE, of Derry, N. H., September 3, 1885, and is engaged in mercantile pursuits in Derry; George W. D., born April 23, 1865, married Alice P. PRESTON, January 1, 1887, and is engaged in farming with his father in this town; and Adran D., born November 5, 1871, died April 13, 1887, aged fifteen years and five months. Volney H. has one son, Howard G., born July 29, 1886.

      Eld. Nathaniel KING, the first Freewill Baptist minister of Tunbridge, was born in Hampstead, N. H., April 4, 1767, of English parentage, his father with one brother having emigrated to America prior to the Revolutionary war. At the age of eight years be removed with his father to Sutton, N. H., and. there resided until he was twenty-one years of age. At the age of twenty-two he visited Tunbridge, purchased a tract of land, and immediately commenced making improvements by clearing the land. The country was then new and sparsely settled. He erected buildings upon his land, and, in 1794, married Miss Lydia NOYES, with whom he maintained marital relations for fifty-eight years until his death. They had born to them thirteen children, five sons and eight daughters, all of whom arrived at mature years and married. Having previously felt the importance of engaging in the service of the Lord, he consecrated himself unreservedly on the last day of. March, 1799, and soon commenced preaching the gospel. July 1, 1804, he was publicly set apart to the work of the ministry. Being a pioneer in a new country he preached nine Sabbaths standing in a chair in the woods. "Since that period," he remarked a few hears previous to his death, "these hands have been spread out over perishing sinners." During his ministry he held many interesting and fruitful revivals, and was instrumental in imparting the bread of life to thousands. His abundant labors and extensive usefulness still live in the grateful remembrance of those who survive him, while his remains are turned to dust. His sympathies were deeply enlisted for the good of others. The heathen, and slave, and poor around him shared in his hospitality, and were remembered in his liberal contributions and prayers. He contributed largely for benevolent institutions, for the Bible cause, and for missions. He refused to receive remuneration for preaching, believing that God called his servants to preach without money and without price. He would work hard upon his farm during the week and preach on the Sabbath. He was a man of literary mind, and possessed a great memory, combined with pathos, and power to thrill an audience and move them at his will. In person he was large and athletic, in mind equally as strong, and an honest, upright, and patriotic citizen. As a christian, he was humble, faithful and consistent; as a minister, in deportment unassuming and exemplary; in doctrine, orthodox; in his public ministrations, plain, direct and fearless; in labors, untiring, persevering and successful. He was a kind and affectionate husband and parent, and was long spared to bless his family, the church and the world. Forty-two years of his useful life were spent in Tunbridge, seven in Randolph, and fourteen in Northfield, where he died October 18, 1852, aged eighty-five years and six months. In each town where he resided he held the confidence and esteem of his townsmen, was elected to many offices of trust, and for thirteen hears represented this town in the state legislature. Although he received no remuneration for his services as a preacher, he was blessed with this world's goods, and acquired a competency by hard labor and frugality. His funeral was attended at Northfield, Rev. M. C. HENDERSON, now of St. Johnsbury, preaching the sermon from 2 Tim. 4:6-8, assisted by the resident clergyman. Eld. KING's widow survived him seventeen years, dying February 5, 1869, aged ninety-one years. Of their thirteen children only six are living, viz.: Eliza H. (Mrs. John HUNT), of Antwerp, Mich.; Sally H., widow of Moody SMITH, of Tunbridge; Nancy F., widow of Jeremiah BROWN, of Waterbury, and now a resident of Burlington; Daniel P., of Northfield; Harvey, of Boston, and Aaron N., of this town. Harvey was of the firm of LYMAN & KING, merchants, of Montpelier,  which partnership was dissolved and Mr. KING continued in trade alone for a number of years, finally removing to Boston, where he was engaged in the wholesale dry goods trade for a quarter of a century, when he retired from business and removed to New York city, where he resided six years. About three years ago he returned to Boston and is now a resident of that city. Aaron N., the youngest of the family, has been engaged in the mercantile business for over thirty years, has held many offices of trust in the town, and is president of the First National bank of Chelsea. 

      Cyrus CHAPMAN came to Tunbridge from Cornish, N. H., about 1789, when twenty-one years of age. He was a tanner and currier by trade, which business he followed here for a short time, when he engaged in tilling the soil. December 3, 1795, he married Mehitable LASELL, of this town, by whom he had four sons and two daughters, viz.: Isaac, Ciba, Albert, .James, Amanda and Delia. James resides in Kalamazoo, Mich., and Delia is dead. By a second wife, Rachel CHENEY, he had two sons and two daughters, viz.: Alondier, David F., Mehitable and Emeline, of whom David F. and Emeline are the only survivors, and they reside in this town. Cyrus, familiarly known as "Square CHAPMAN," was justice of the peace here for more than twenty-five years.

      David F. CHAPMAN, mentioned above, was born June 5, 1822. After arriving at manhood he occupied a position in a mercantile house four years, when he embarked in trade in company with Francis Sturtevant, with whom he was associated five years, when Mr. Sturtevant retired from the firm. Mr. CHAPMAN then conducted the business alone for about five years, when he engaged in farming, to which business he has since given his attention almost exclusively. He owns, with A. N. KING, the Union Agricultural society's grounds, and has been prominent in town and county affairs, holding many positions of trust and responsibility. He was county judge four -years, county commissioner, selectman eleven years, has been town agent eight years, town clerk twenty-one years, lister eighteen years, and is the present town clerk, agent, chairman of the board of listers, and county auditor. He married Martha D. TROW, of Barre, September 18, 1848, and their union was blessed. with three sons and three daughters, viz.: Florence, born September 30, 1849, resides in Methuen, Mass.; Jennie, born January 2, 1852; George, born July 11, 1855, died May 24, 1856; Fred, born January 1, 1857, lives in Montpelier; Harry, born July 17, 1859, resides in Haverhill, Mass.; and Kate, born May 14, 1862, died January 16, 1884. Mrs. CHAPMAN died October 20, 1879. Mr. CHAPMAN resides in this town, at Tunbridge Center village. 

      Daniel and Hannah (Colby) HACKETT, with two children, came from Dunbarton, N. H.; settling in Tunbridge in 1790. The year previous he had come here and made some preparations for a permanent home, building a log house and clearing some land. He served with his father, Ebenezer, in the Revolutionary war, and was among those detailed to dig in the trenches at Bunker Hill. He had four children, all boys, viz.: Rev. George, John, Capt. Ephraim and Ebenezer. Capt. Ephraim HACKETT married Mary CORWIN, January 5, 1808, and their union was blessed with seven children, -- five sons and two daughters, six of whom lived to maturity and were married, and two of whom are now living -- Hannah and J. Spencer. When Daniel HACKETT came to Tunbridge he settled on East hill, on what is now called the old HACKETT farm. The soil was productive, and, being an energetic, hard-working man, he was quite successful. In a short time others had taken up and improved land in this part of the town, and, feeling the need of christian worship, a church was erected called the "red meeting-house." A society was organized by Elder RANDALL, called the “Freewill Baptist Church," and the meetings were attended by all the settlers and great interest manifested. Eld. Nathaniel KING was the first settled minister, and he served without pay. After Elder KING removed from town Rev. George HACKETT, son of Daniel, became the settled minister, and remained in charge most of the time until his death, working on his farm during the week and preaching the gospel on the Sabbath "without money and without price." He was quite successful financially, and reared a large family of children who became scattered throughout the country, one dying in California, and one in Beloit, Wis. Ephraim and Ebenezer remained on the old farm until they were, married, when Ebenezer bought and removed to a farm in the same district. He represented the town in the state legislature a number of years. Ephraim lived with and cared for his parents until their death. He was a captain of militia at the time of the Indian raid, receiving the news while at church on Sunday evening, and the next morning started in pursuit of the red fiends with those of his company whom he could get together on such short notice. Both he and Ebenezer were successful, financially, investing largely in Vermont Central railroad shares and bonds.

      J. Spencer HACKETT, son of Ephraim, remained on the old farm most of the time, and with his wife cared for and witnessed the peaceful departure from earth of his parents in 1864. Hannah was married, March 7, 1832, to Daniel CRAM, settled in Chelsea, and reared a family of seven children, all, girls. Soon after the death of her parents Mr. CRAM purchased the old homestead farm, where he remained until his death, after which the place was sold to F. D. MOODY, his son-in-law, who now occupies it. James HACKETT, son of Ephraim, left at his death two sons, Corcellas H. and James H., the former being for many years a member of the firm of MINOT, BEALS & HACKETT, of Boston, and now engaged in the wholesale and retail clothing business in New York city. James H. lived with his uncle J. Spencer until he was eighteen years of age, when he located in Jacksonville, Ill., and engaged in, the clothing trade for a number of years. He next engaged in the flouring business, being of the firm of SCOTT, HACKETT & Co. He is now treasurer of the Fort Scott Real Estate and Investment Co., of which his son James is secretary. J. Spencer HACKETT married Sarah. A. NOYES, March 7, 1843, and they have no children. Mr. HACKETT's principal occupation has been farming, in which business he has acquired a competency. He has been prominent in town affairs. They have an adopted son, who is married and lives with them, to cheer their declining years and lighten their burdens. They are a social and generous couple, esteemed by a large circle of relatives and friends. Ebenezer HACKETT married Sally ALEXANDER, of this town, in March, 1818, by whom he had two sons and one daughter, of whom Daniel and Mary E. are now living, near the old church on East hill, where was built the first meeting-house in town.

      Josiah WHITNEY, of Welch and English descent, was born in Grafton, Mass., about the year 1688, and his son Josiah, Jr., was born in Littleton, Mass., April 21, 1713, Peter WHITNEY, son of Josiah, Jr., was born in Wellington, Conn., April 21, 1738. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, came from Connecticut to this town in 1790, and purchased two lots of land in the southwesterly part of the town. His family consisted of three sons and six daughters. Of the sons, Jonathan, the eldest, was born February 20, 1766. He came to Vermont about the year 1787, at the age of twenty-one years, and was employed as a surveyor. That season he surveyed the town of Chittenden, and the old town of Philadelphia, since annexed to Chittenden, after finishing which he returned to Connecticut. The next year he surveyed the town of Barre, and on his return home succeeded in persuading his father to make a settlement here. He came with his father, assisting him in clearing the land in the summer and teaching school winters. He afterwards came into possession of the farm, upon which he lived until his death, April 12, 1853, aged eighty-seven years. Of his family of eight children, four sons and two daughters lived to mature age. The eldest child, Zabad, was born December 10, 1797, and died in Royalton in April, 1830. Only three of Jonathan WHITNEY's children are living, viz.: Zebina, aged eighty-seven years, A. G., aged seventy years, and James M., aged sixty-six years. The latter has two sons, James A. and Henry D., both living in Tunbridge. James A. has two sons, and Henry D. is unmarried.

      Abel WHITNEY, born in Pepperell, Mass., came with his wife, Phebe SCOTT, to Tunbridge in 1791. They had seven sons and three daughters, two of whom, Henry and Nancy (Mrs. Roswell DURGEE), are living. George WHITNEY, born in 1812, was reared on a farm on Whitney hill. He married Arathusa, daughter of Jonas and Anna (ROBINSON) GATES, in 1839, and their children were Albert, Milo F., John S., Orlando L., Lewis and Lester. Five of these sons served in the war for the Union, and one, Orlando, died in the service in 1864. Mr. WHITNEY died July 11, 1865, and his widow survives him, residing with her son Albert on the old homestead in this town.

      John BROUGHTON married Abigail DEAN, in old Hadley, Mass., and with four other familes came to Tunbridge about 1792. They had six sons and four daughters. Ira, the second child, and Humphrey, the seventh, were the only ones who remained in town. Humphrey married Hannah COOK, of Norwich, October 30, 1828, and their children were John and Francis, born in Norwich, who died young, Frances A., John D., Silas H., Betsey J. and Thomas F., born in this town. Thomas F., with his brother John D., were among the first to enlist in the late war from this town. Thomas F. was in the first battle of Bull Run, where he was severely wounded. He served two and one-half years, was discharged, re-enlisted, and served through the war. He received several severe wounds, one was caused by a large splinter which, from a gun-carriage being blown to pieces, passed through the calf of his leg, pinning him to the ground till released by a comrade. This wound caused varicose veins, from which he now suffers. The most severe wound was made by an explosive ball, which struck him in the foot, nearly blowing it off, and, leaving it in a dreadfully mangled condition, confining him to the hospital for six months. Thanks to a robust frame and strong constitution he recovered, and is now engaged in farming do East hill in this town.

      Stephen and Joseph SMITH. brothers, came from Gilmanton, N. H., and located in this town in 1793. They each purchased land, made a clearing: and built a house of logs in the then wilderness, the nearest neighbor of Joseph being a Mr. MOODY, three miles to the southeast. February 23, 1794, Joseph SMITH was married to Hannah FIFIELD, at Gilmanton, by Rev. Isaac SMITH, for whom they had both worked for several years, and soon after started for their forest home, on East hill, in this town, the place now occupied by their grandson, Walter F. SMITH. Mrs. SMITH deemed it no hardship to take her first child in her arms and go to Stephen SMITH's, the place now occupied: by George L. SWAN, on West hill, a distance of five miles, her only guide being marked trees, and return the same day. Who of her great-grandchildren would be equal to the task at the present time? Joseph and Hannah SMITH reared two sons and four daughters, the eldest of whom, Josiah, settled and died in Hopkinton, St. Lawrence county, N. Y. The other son, Major SMITH, remained in this town and cared for his parents in their old age. He always lived here, and is buried in the family burying-ground on the old farm. Of his children, two sons and one daughter, Azro A., the eldest, is pastor of the Congregational church at Johnson, and the daughter died in 1863, leaving, one child.

      Jonathan ADAMS was born in Old Rowley, Mass., in 1767, and located in, Loudon, N. H., at an early day. In 1795, when twenty-seven years of age, he came to Tunbridge, settling in the northeast corner of the town on a. farm now owned by H. B. COLBY. He resided in this town until his death, in 1842, aged seventy-five years. Seth ADAMS, son of Jonathan, was born in. Tunbridge July 16, 1803, and is therefore eighty-four years old. He is the only survivor in a family of seven children, and during his life has followed the occupation of carpenter and joiner and farmer. He has two children, Arthur C., with whom he now makes his home, and a daughter, Luna A., widow of Alva J. DUTTON, of West Randolph. Arthur C. learned the carpenter and builder trade, at which he worked for a time, but now devotes his whole attention to farming and stock raising. April 18, 1867, he married Rosa LEE, of Sharon, Vt., and they have one child, Sarah J., who resides at home. Mr. ADAMS has in his house the records of the first school meeting in his district, held in 1793.

      William NOYES, son of Nathan A., came to this town from Bow, N. H. with his father, at an early age. He married Hannah FOLSOM, of Tunbridge, October 31, 1811, by whom he had two children, Asenath F. and Freeman W. He bought the land and felled the first trees on the farm in the extreme eastern part of the town where he resided until his death, aged eighty-one years. Freeman W. is seventy-one years old and has always resided on this farm where he was born. He married Amelia P. CARLISLE, of Randolph, January 1, 1840, and they have had two daughters -- Lucy M., who died May 19, 1878, and Emma Rose, who married Ed. D. ALDRICH, of Sharon, and lives with her husband on the old homestead. Freeman W. NOYES is a large, muscular man, and, though well along in years, is as erect as though he were but forty. He was always a natural athlete, and is a remarkably well preserved man. Mr. and Mrs. NOYES have been married forty-seven years, and have never rode on the steam cars.

      Orvis P. CILLEY was the eleventh child in a family of six boys and six girls, eleven of whom lived to maturity. His parents, Ebenezer and Polly (CLEMENT) CILLEY, were immediate descendants of some of the early settlers in town. Orvis P. was born September 23, 1816, in Tunbridge, where he has always resided. He has been engaged in various occupations, teaching district school in early life, later occupying positions with mercantile houses, and, also acting as commercial traveler. He kept the old hotel at Tunbridge two years, which stood some distance south of the present hotel. He has held the office of selectman seven years, constable fifteen years, and represented the town in the state legislature in 1880. He has been twice married, first to Caroline H. JONES, of this town, who died April 29, 1879, and second to Carlie S. SMITH, also of this town, who is still living. He has acquired a comfortable property and can now enjoy the fruits of his labor. Always ready to lend a helping hand to the needy, he is actively interested in all enterprises tending towards the improvement or benefit of his townsmen.

      Zachary BICKNELL, with his wife Agnes, came from England to this country in 1635. Of their descendants, Peter BICKNELL, of the fifth generation from Zachary, was born in 1744. He married Hannah KENT, born in 1740, and they came from Rehoboth, Mass., to Vermont, in 1803, and settled near the Joseph SMITH farm, on East hill, in Tunbridge. Of their children, Hezekiah married Hannah CARPENTER, by whom he had two sons and one daughter. Elra, the eldest child, remained in this town, and of him it is said that he never tasted tea. In youth he resolved to use what money others of his acquaintances foolishly expended for spirits and tobacco in buying books. He accumulated the largest and best private library in the town, leaving at his death (April 17, 1887,) 160 choice volumes, besides having given many to,his children and grandchildren. Of Elra's family, his eldest son, Almond B., resides on the homestead farm.

      Samuel DICKERMAN was one of the party of eighteen or twenty young men who, on December 16, 1773, being indignant at the act of the British Parliament in laying heavy duties on tea, paper, etc., destroyed several hundred chests of tea by throwing them into Boston harbor. He also served in the Revolutionary war, and participated in the battle of Bunker Hill. After the close of the war he settled in Francestown, N. H., where his son Elijah was born. Elijah came to Vermont in 1807, on horseback, and traded his horse, saddle and bridle for twenty-five acres of land in the northwest corner of this town, where he built a log cabin, and in 1808 removed here with his wife and one child. He was a blacksmith by trade, and also worked at farming, was very successful financially, and at his death owned 1,500 acres of land, valued at $50,000. Lewis DICKERMAN, son of Elijah, has in his possession the sword used by his grandfather at the battle of Bunker Hill. Lewis was born in this town September 28, 1822, on the farm first settled by his father, and there lived until he was thirteen years old, when the family removed to the farm adjoining, where he has resided fifty-one years. He is now postmaster at North Tunbridge, but continues farming, and has also done land surveying, commencing when but eighteen years old. July 24, 1845, he was married to Emily GOODWIN, who bore him five sons and three daughters, of whom four sons and two daughters are living. He has always been a leader in town and county affairs, holding many positions of trust and responsibility. He represented the town at Montpelier in 1861-62, served as selectman eleven years, lister and appraiser for a long time, and is now notary public. Until appointed postmaster he held the office of justice of the peace twenty-nine years. He is a Democrat in politics, is liberal in his views, and takes pleasure in entertaining his friends. He has accumulated a nice property, and owns considerable real estate in Chelsea, Randolph and Royalton, besides several fine farms in this town.

      William P. BROWN, son of Jeremiah and Mary (MORSE) BROWN, was born in Canterbury, Conn., April 10, 1805. His parents settled in Tunbridge about 1811, where he has since resided, his occupation being that of a farmer. December 9, 1847, be married Emeline HUTCHINSON, of this town, who died November 29, 1877. By industry, energy and fair dealing he has been able to secure a competency sufficient for his declining years. He has one child, Mrs. B. Frank BUTTERFIELD, with whose husband he is now engaged in farming and stock raising, and although eighty-two years of age takes an active interest in the business affairs of the farm. Mr. BROWN has held many offices of trust in the town and county, serving as side judge at Chelsea, town treasurer and constable for many years, and is universally esteemed and respected by all who know him.

      Dana B. GRANT resides on a pleasant farm one and a half miles northeast m North Tunbridge village. He was born in Washington sixty-one years ago, being one of a family of eleven children, all of whom lived to maturity and were married. His father, John, was one of the first settlers of Washington, coming from New Hampshire, His farm consisted of 100 acres of unbroken timber land, and his early experiences were much like other pioneers of "ye olden time." During the first two years of his pioneer life his house consisted of a sap holder, in which he slept in the winter by a log fire, both for warmth and for protection from wild beasts, bears being especially familiar, even following him from the sugar camp attracted by the odor of the hot syrup. He died in 1871, aged seventy-two years. Dana B. married Caroline E., daughter of James and Henrietta NOYES, March 8, 1849, and, aided by his estimable wife, has accumulated a comfortable property. Their union was blessed with five children, three sons and two daughters,-four of whom are living.

      Major GRANT, son of John and brother of Dana B., was born in Washington, March 24, 1819. He removed to this town with his parents when fifteen years of age and has since resided here. March 23, 1848, he married Sarah J. LUCE, who died January 24, 1868. They had born to them seven children, five sons and two daughters, five of whom are living, all in Tunbridge. One daughter is the wife of H. J. WILLIAMS, a well-to-do farmer residing in the eastern part of the town.

      James L. FARNHAM, son of Harley and Mary (LEAVITT) FARNHAM, was born in Tunbridge, February 16, 1836, and is a farmer by occupation. Previous to the late Rebellion he was a member of the state militia, and was mustered into service October 4, 1862, as lieutenant. June 12, 1860, he married Lena N. FOLSOM, of this town, and their union was blessed with four children, equally divided as to sex, three of whom are living. Fred W. died at the age .of seven years; Henry H., the eldest, is engaged in farming and stock raising, in Kansas; Clara M. is married and lives in this town; and Evie M., the youngest, resides with her parents.

      Stephen NOYES was born in Chelsea, June 29, 1811, and is the sixth child of Nathan and Lydia (SMITH) NOYES, who reared a family of twelve children. His business has been principally that of farming, although he has always improved the opportunity for a good investment. March 27, 1834, he married Julia GUSHA, and in 1837 settled in this town, where they have since resided. Their union was blessed with four children -- two sons and two daughters. He owns the woolen-mill now occupied by GAY Brothers, also four dwellings at Tunbridge Center and several farms in the town. At the age of eighteen he received accidentally a charge of shot in the left hip, from the effects of which he experiences much suffering and inconvenience. Still, at the age of seventy-six years, he looks after and manages his business affairs personally though doing but little manual labor. Mr. and Mrs. NOYES have lived together as man and wife for fifty-three years. Mr. NOYES has held many positions of trust, and: by strict economy and close attention to business has accumulated a competency, which will serve to make his remaining years pass with comfort and contentment. He is a genial, hospitable gentleman, and a good type of the genuine old New Englander.

      Eugene C. SLEEPER, son of Calvin N. and Sarah (LILLIE) SLEEPER, was born in Strafford, Vt., February 12, 1841, and lived in that town and Chelsea until the breaking out of the late civil war. He was the first man to enlist from the town of Strafford, was mustered into service June 12, 1861, and served to the close of the war. He was taken prisoner near Warrenton Junction, Va., by Mosby's Guerrillas, October 26, 1863, and was confined in rebel dens for thirteen months, seven months of which time was spent in the notorious Andersonville prison where so many of our brave boys met a death a hundred fold more terrible than in the mad rush of battle. The other six months were spent in five different rebel prisons. Mr. SLEEPER was paroled November 26, 1864, but was never exchanged owing to the closing of the war. He is engaged in farming, but the privations and hardships of those thirteen months of confinement and cruel treatment has told upon an otherwise strong constitution, and like thousands of other soldiers he will be obliged to carry the effects of his imprisonment through life. He lives on the farm settled by his great-grandfather, John LILLIE, who came from Connecticut with an ox-team among the early settlers.

      Charles A. WIGHT, son of Albert and Lydia (ABBOTT) WIGHT, was born in Troy, N. Y., January 2, 1837, came to Tunbridge when a child, and lived with Abel BENNETT until he was twenty-two years old. He learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed until 1875, when he bought out the general store at North Tunbridge village and combined mercantile pursuits with shoemaking until his growing trade compelled him to devote his whole attention to the latter branch of his business. He is an illustration of what a man can become by close application to business even in a small town. He married, in 1860, Sarah J. LITTLEFIELD, of Kennebunkport, Me., who has ever been a true helpmeet, and to her he attributes a large share of the credit for his success. By strict attention to business, and fair dealing, he has built up a. lucrative business and secured the confidence and esteem of his townspeople. He has been postmaster and assistant postmaster since 1878.

      Theodore HOWE, a farmer, married Lydia JOHNSON, and they had born to them six boys and five girls. Mr. HOWE settled in Royalton, Windsor county, at an early day, where he was accidentally killed by being thrown from a load of hay, July 25, 1805, aged fifty-eight years. His son William married, first, Fanny FOSTER, and settled on a farm in Royalton, thence removed to Tunbridge, where his wife died, leaving him four children. For his second wife he married. Mrs. Phebe K. GRIFFITH, daughter of Philip FARNHAM, of this town, and they had two children. In the spring of 1844 he removed to Barnard, Windsor county, and in May, 1852, returned to this town, locating on Whitney hill, where he died May 6, 1865, in his sixty-ninth year. His wife died January 26, 1867, in her sixty-eighth year. E. F. HOWE, son of William, is married and lives on the home farm. He is a deacon in the Congregational church and is much esteemed by all.

      Henry R. HAYWARD, son of Reuben and Mina (CUSHMAN) HAYWARD, was born in this town March 20, 1841. He was one of the first to respond to the call for troops to suppress the Rebellion in 1861, and enlisted in Co. E, 2d Vt. Vols., as third sergeant, serving three years without being severely wounded. He was promoted to 2d lieutenant for meritorious conduct, and was honorably discharged at the expiration of his term of service, when he returned to Tunbridge and engaged in the lumber and grist-milling business, which he has since followed. He married Susan E. FARNHAM, November 17, 1864, and they have had six children, five of whom are now living.. Fred F., the eldest, is a cadet at Northfield, Washington county, and will. complete the course with the class of '88. The other children reside at home.

      Wallace W. SWAN, son of William and Harriet (WHITNEY) SWAN, was born in Tunbridge, November 11, 1842, and was educated at the common schools in this town. He enlisted in Co. A, 15th Vt. Vols., August 29, 1862, and was honorably discharged August 5, 1863. In 1869 he engaged in manufacturing lumber, rakes, and fork and hoe handles, in which business he continued until 1884. He served the town as constable in 1884-86, and was elected representative to the state legislature in 1886. Owing to failing health he has retired from active business. He resides in the village of North Tunbridge.

      Dr. Edgar J. FISH was born in Washington, February 7, 1851, and was educated at the common schools of his native town and at the academy in, Chelsea. He studied medicine with Dr. S. M. GOSS, of Chelsea, attended Dartmouth Medical college, graduated from the Medical department of the University of Vermont, and located in this town in September, 1874, where he has built up a lucrative practice and has won the confidence and respect of the people by his skill and reliability as a physician and citizen.

      It appears that the settlers of Tunbridge were early interested in ecclesiastical affairs. In a warning to the inhabitants for a town meeting, dated September 4, 1788, to be held on the 23d of the same month at the house of Capt. Alexander STEDMAN, articles 3 and 4 read as follows: "To see if the town will come into some method to hire preaching." "To see if the town will agree on some particular spot for the meting house." The vote on these two, questions was as follows: "Voted that this town will do nothing about hiring preaching at present"; and "voted to do nothing with respect to pitching a spot for a meting house." In the following year the question was again brought up, the town voting at this time "to raise money to hire preaching the next summer." Previous to this a Rev. Mr. JONES had preached in town, but it appears that they were not agreed upon what remuneration he was, to receive. In 1790 it was decided to locate a meeting-house near the center of the town, and a committee of five was chosen to "stick the stake " for ,said house.

      The Central Congregational church was organized February 5, 1792, by Rev. Aaron HUTCHINSON, with fifteen male and twelve female members, with David H. WILLISTON as the first pastor. Their first house of worship, a wooden structure, was commenced in 1795 and finished in 1797. In 1838 their building was destroyed by fire, and in 1839 the present structure, which will comfortably seat 200 persons, was built at a cost of about $1,500, and is now valued, including parsonage and other church property, at $3,000. The society now consists of thirty-nine members, under the pastoral charge of Rev. Thomas S. HUBBARD. The Sunday-school has an average attendance of fifty, with Dea. B. F. BUTTERFIELD, superintendent.

      The Methodist church, located at South Tunbridge village, was organized about 1810. Their first house of worship, the present brick structure, was built in 1833 at a cost of about $2,500, will comfortably seat 200 persons, and is valued, including other church property, at $2,000. The society numbers thirty-three members, under the pastoral charge of Rev. W. R. DAVENPORT. The Sunday-school has an average attendance of thirty scholars, with Ira MUDGETT, superintendent.

      The First Universalist society, of North Tunbridge; was organized May 27, 1837, by Isaiah BACON and Newell ORDWAY, with forty-five members, Rev. Russell STREETER being the first pastor. Their first house of worship, the present structure, was built of wood in 1839, at a cost of $2,000, will comfortably seat 200 persons, and is now valued at $600. The society consists of fifteen members, with Rev. S. A. PARKER, pastor.

      The North. Tunbridge Free Baptist church was organized October 8, 1840, by Rev. David SWETT, the first pastor. Their church edifice, a wooden structure, was built in 1870 at a cost of $3,000, will comfortably seat 300 persons, and is now valued, including other church property, at $2,000. The society has a membership of seventy, under the pastoral charge of Rev. C. E. HURD. A flourishing Sabbath-school with sixty members is connected with this church.

Gazetteer Of Orange County, Vt. 1762-1888.
Compiled And Published by Hamilton Child,
The Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders. 
Syracuse, N. Y., 1888.
Page 471-492.

Transcribed by Karima Allison ~ 2004


Souvenirs of North Tunbridge School, District No. 14, 
Spring Term - 1899 & Dec. 4, 1899 - Feb. 16, 1900