A county forming the N.W. extremity of Vermont, has an area of about
77 square miles. It consists of a number of islands in the northern part
of Lake Champlain, and the southern part of a peninsula lying between the
lake (including Missisque bay) and the Richelieu river.
The surface is undulating, the soil fertile, and adapted to grain
and grass. This county is regarded as producing the finest apples in the
state. Wheat, oats, wool, and grass are the staples. In 1850 the county
produced 31,324 bushels of wheat; 81,027 of oats; 6980 tons of hay; 93,225
pounds of wool; and 70,291 of butter. It contained 1 marble quarry, 1 tannery,
5 churches; 1364 pupils attending public schools, and 33 attending academies
or other schools.
This county is almost surrounded by Lake Champlain, which is navigable
for vessels of 90 tons burthen. It is traversed in the N. part by the Vermont
Central railroad. Organized in 1802. Capital, North Hero. Population, 4145.