The first firm to go into the jobbing of specialties in Burlington
was T. W. GREGORY & Co., who established themselves in the tea business,
to which POPE, BERRY & HALL subsequently succeeded. The WELLS &
RICHARDSON Company was the first firm to go into the wholesale drug business
on a large scale. This house first began to do business about 1870 in the
block now occupied by the PORTER Manufacturing Company, and their success
was almost immediate, soon requiring more extended quarters. The first
to do any wholesale business in the dry goods line was Elias, who was succeeded
by Edward LYMAN, now of the firm of LYMAN & ALLEN, and Sidney BARLOW,
who built up a large trade in wholesale dry goods. William WELLS &
Co. had a store on Pearl street, where they carried on a large wholesale
business in liquor and flour. One of the early dealers in spices, coffee,
tea, etc., was Charles MINER, the originator of the large house of MINER,
POPE & Co. H. W. CATLIN began the wholesale flour trade in 1865, in
the store now occupied by JONES & ISHAM. POPE & Co. did a large
general wholesale business, on the corner of St. Paul and College streets.
The present firm of SAFFORD, WETHERBY & Co., wholesale jobbers of fancy
goods, began business in Burlington in 1870, under the firm name of E.
S. FULLAM & Co. Safford & HUMPHREY, who were connected with the
business, purchased it in 1881. HENRY, JOHNSON & LORD went into the
wholesale drug business in 1881, but soon after disposed of their trade
in this line to the firm of Wells, Richardson & Co., and went into
the manufacture of proprietary medicines, which they have continued with
great success ever since. In 1870 the firm of ARBUCKLE & Co. previously
succeeded to the manufacturing and wholesale business of D. A. VAN NAMEE.
The wholesale business of the city, exclusive of marble and lumber, now
aggregates about $2,000,000 yearly.
The wholesale grocery business of O. J. WALKER & Bros. was established
by the present senior member of the firm. O. J. WALKER began business in
Burlington in 1851; in 1856 a member of the firm of VAN SICKLEN & WALKER.
This firm now keep three men on the road, and make a specialty of salt
and nails, though they carry a heavy stock of general groceries, amounting
in value to $100,000. The sales, amounting to about half a million a year,
are as extensive in New York as in Vermont.
The wholesale grocery and provision trade of VAN SICKLEN, SEYMOUR
& Co. was founded by VAN SICKLEN & WALKER in 1856. The present
firm was formed in 1878. Ten men are employed. The store has been mentioned
before, and is the oldest wholesale house in the city.
The firm of JONES, Bros. & Co. is descended from the firm of
WESTON & JONES, formed here about twenty years ago. They are jobbers
in fruits and vegetables of all kinds, and general dealers in groceries.
A.L. BARROWS established his trade in groceries and provisions about
1867. McWILLIAMS Brothers founded their business in 1868, and they have
had no change in the membership of the firm since the beginning. They deal
in general groceries, fine flours, teas, spices and coffees. C. E. GERMAIN,
who does a considerable trade in groceries, started in Burlington about
fifteen years ago, and has made a success of his store. ROWLEY & PRIOR,
dealers in groceries and meats, began here in 1876. P. H. CORLEY established
a trade in groceries, Catholic books and stationery, etc., on the 15th
of December, 1877. His business is worth now over $30,000 a year. W. B.
McKILLIP began dealing in fancy groceries and table delicacies in 18i7,
and as specialist in this line is a pioneer. G. W. KELLEY deals in groceries
and fruits, oysters, sugars and tobaccos. He started in Burlington in 1877.
E. S. Spear, in the same line, began in 1878. His annual income is about
The firm of ROBERTS & PERKINS (W. H. ROBERTS and F. E. PERKINS)
bought out the old firm of Ira RUSSELL & Co. in 1879, and established
a good trade in all kinds of groceries, wooden ware and baskets, carrying
the best goods in the market. DOLAN Brothers, who started here in 1880,
carry now a stock valued at $4,000 or $5,000 of all kinds of provisions
and country produce, making a specialty of flour. The firm of NYE &
LAVELLE was established in 1880, and now do a large wholesale and retail
business in cheese and meats, and general groceries. They have an income
of more than $50,000 per annum. O'NEIL Brothers, established in trade two
years ago, carry a full line of groceries, fancy baskets and willow ware,
making a specialty of teas and coffees. The store of SPALDING & BEACH
was opened on the 1st of May, 1885, and is provided with a good stock of
groceries, canned goods and choice butter. The grocery of J. E. CORRIGAN
was opened in June, 1885. Owing to his excellent goods and his local situation,
he has a remarkable trade in groceries, fresh and salt meats, canned goods,
cigars, overalls and fancy articles.
The oldest hardware store in the State is that of George I. HAGAR,
which was established more than fifty years ago. We saw in 1850 that prominent
among the hardware merchants of that period were HAGAR & ARTHUR, the
senior member of the firm being the father of the present proprietor. George
I. HAGAR entered into partnership with his father about twenty-eight years
ago. In 1872 he succeeded to the entire business. Mr. HAGAR now carries
on a business worth about $40,000 a year, and has a stock of $20,000. His
specialties are mill supplies, builders' and saddlery hardware, etc., though
his stock is by no means limited to these.
The hardware store of Albert G. STRONG also bears the mark of antiquity
and solid worth. Mr. STRONG began business in Burlington in 1852, and carries
at present, as always, an excellent stock in heavy shelf and carriage hardware
and house trimmings, in addition to the varieties that are necessary to
the thorough equipment of a wholesale and retail establishment of this
The hardware firm of RIPLEY & HOLTON was formed in 1871, and
from a small retail concern the house has grown to be one of the largest
of its kind in the New England States. They carry a large stock of shelf
and saddlery hardware, paints, farmers' tools, powder, cordage, etc. The
value of the stock is about $30.000 or more.
FERGUSON & ADSIT, though the youngest firm of the kind in the
city, are energetic and full of resources. They have already established
an extensive trade both in Burlington and throughout this part of the country.
They are manufacturers and jobbers of saddlery and carriage hardware, and
deal largely in paints, besides having a heavy sale of ADSIT's patent rein
supporter. Their business amounts to about $70,000 per annum.
W.W. WOOD established a trade in this line of goods in Burlington
in 1863, and is thus the oldest dealer in the city. He has manufactured
considerably, but has relinquished that branch of the business and now
confines himself to an extensive retail trade. His store is a model of
elegance, and is the finest in the State in finish and appearance. It is
finished in cherry.
The wholesale trade of D. A. BRODIE had its origin in the formation
of the firm of KELSIE & BRODIE, in April, 1873. This partnership was
dissolved on the 1st of January, 1886, and Mr. BRODIE has since been sole
proprietor. He carries a stock of about $20,000, and has three men on the
C.A. HIBBARD's boot and shoe manufactory, located at 52 and 54 College
street, was established at Troy, Vt., in 1865. In 1870 Mr. HIBBARD removed
to Essex junction, and from there to Burlington in 1874. He manufactures
none but hand-made goods, and turns out from 1,200 to 1,700 cases per annum,
giving employment to fifty workmen. His whole trade, consisting of the
sale of his own and other manufactured goods, amounts annually to $150,000.
The business of FLETCHER & BOYNTON was established in 1876 by
the present senior partner, F. G. FLETCHER. F. B. BOYNTON was admitted
to an interest in September, 1885. These gentlemen carry an unusually fine
stock of boots, shoes, and rubbers, procuring both ladies' and gentlemen's
goods from the best manufacturers. Their trade is worth from $30,000 to
$40,000 a year.
M.D. McMAHON has been dealing in a general line of boots and shoes
here since 1882. His prices range from the cheapest to the dearest. His
stock is valued at $10,000. During the year 1885 his sales were more than
$30,000, and have not diminished since.
George H. SMILIE started a boot and shoe store in Burlington three
years ago. He carries an extensive and an excellent stock suited to all
purposes for ladies and gentlemen.
W.H. HALE, a merchant of twenty years' experience, opened a boot
and shoe store in this city in-1884. His stock is valued at $6,000 to $7,000.
The Beehive. -- James and John E. PECK, under the firm name of PECK
Brothers, are large dealers in carpets, oil cloths, and lace curtains.
They have been in business here together ever since the establishment of
their trade in 1862, though until recently dealing in a general line of
dry goods. They carry a stock of from $40,000 to $50,000.
Edward BARLOW, in the Opera House block, has been in the dry goods
trade in Burlington for twenty-three years. The business is now worth about
$60,000 a year. His stock which is composed of everything in the dry goods
line, foreign and domestic, is valued at $25,000 or $30,000.
SAFFORD, WETHERBY & Co., wholesale jobbers of fancy goods, notions,
hosiery, overalls, shirts, etc., first began business at Montpelier in
1870 under the title of E. S. FULLAM & Co., and in September of that
year removed to Burlington, locating at their present site. About four
years after this C. C. CHADWICK was admitted to the business, and the firm
name changed to FULLAM, SAFFORD & CHADWICK, and so remained until 1875,
when, owing to failing health, Mr. FULLAM sold his interest to SAFFORD
& CHADWICK, and during the same season Mr. HUMPHREY became a partner,
and the firm was known as SAFFORD, CHADWICK & Co.; but in the early
part of 1876 Mr. CHADWICK died, and SAFFORD & HUMPHREY having purchased
his interest, continued the business in their name until 1881, when Henry
L.. WETHERBY was admitted, and the title changed to the one it has since
borne. Although Mr. HUMPHREY is a member of the firm, his time is given
to conducting a retail trade in Winooski village, which is owned by SAFFORD,
HUMPHREY & Co. During these years the business has steadily increased,
so that they now employ two traveling salesmen and a full corps of clerks
at their store, their annual sales amounting to about $100.000.
The extensive dry goods house of LYMAN, Allen & Co. was established
in 1868 by the admission of H. W. ALLEN to partnership with the present
senior member, Edward LYMAN. The trade was originally started in 1844 by
Elias LYMAN, in the LYMAN block, as before noticed. On the 1st of January,
1848, Edward LYMAN became a partner of the founder. In 1851 Elias LYMAN
retired. This is the largest wholesale dry goods house in the State, its
success being due to the principle adhered to of dealing only in the best
of goods, and representing them as they are. The trade extends throughout
the State, and is by no means confined to Vermont. A more extended history
of the concern appears in the biographical sketch of Mr. LYMAN on a subsequent
M.D. COOK began dealing in fancy dry goods and carpets, and has
enlarged his original business to its present proportions. He makes a specialty
of carpets, and sells $80,000 worth of goods a year. In 1876 his sales
amounted to $25,000.
George H. KINSLEY, who now carries a stock of $25,000, first opened
his store here in 1876. He carries a full line of dry and fancy goods,
making a specialty of cloaks.
J.B. SCULLY & Co. are successors to J. B. SCULLY, who founded
the present flourishing business in 1881. They carry an excellent stock
of general dry goods, silks, shawls, and domestics.
George TOWLE and A. F. CHAYER entered into partnership and established
their present trade in dry goods three years ago. They make a specialty
of hosiery, underwear, and gloves.
Bennett TURK established the trade in fine custom clothing, now
carried on by the firm of B. TURK & Brother, in 1853, when only two
or three of the houses now in business in Burlington had been started.
They carry a stock of $40,000 to $50,000, and deal in hats, caps, and gentlemen's
In 1878 A. N. PERCY, after an already wide experience in St. Albans
and Boston, came to Burlington and started the trade in ready made clothing,
etc., now carried on by A. N. PERCY & Co., the junior being A. H. RICHARDSON.
The income from their business is about $50,000 per annum.
The business of E. P. SHAW, dealer in the same line of goods, was
founded by the present proprietor in 1873. Mr. SHAW makes a specialty of
fine clothing, and carries a stock of $15,000 to $20,000.
The Blue Store, one of the largest establishments in the city, was
opened in 1875 by SMITH & PEASE. Jerome B. SMITH and H. C. HUMPHREY
formed their present partnership in 1885. They have an excellent line of
clothing and furnishing goods.
D.N. NICHOLSON began on the 1st of January, 1878, a trade in hats
and furs, and has since added a general clothing, hat, cap, fur, and trunk
business to his first enterprise. He manufactures furs, and makes them
and hats a specialty.
The firm of Miles & McMAHON, jobbers and retailers in millinery,
ladies' furnishing and ready made goods, furs, notions, glassware, etc.,
was formed in July, 1884. Their sign is the "largest bonnet in the world."
Mr. MILES has charge of the store in Burlington, and Mr. McMAHON of another
owned by the firm at Stowe, Vt.
The Globe Clothing House, D. M. MILES & Co., was opened on the
25th of April, 1885, with a general stock in men's, youths', and boys'
clothing, etc., etc.
The firm of POPE & PEASE began to trade in Burlington in the
fall of 1885 - dealers in clothing, furnishing goods, hats, caps, etc.
The glove store of A. N. JOHNS came into the present proprietor's
hands in March, 1886, and is the only exclusive glove store in Vermont.
He carries a stock of about $5,000 to $10,000, and sells the finest of
gloves and mittens.
The oldest drug store in the city is that of W. S. VINCENT, which
was opened by Mr. VINCENT in 1865. From 1866 to 1875 it was VINCENT &
Taft that ran the business, and from the latter date to the spring of 1881
the firm name was VINCENT, TAFT & Co. Since then Mr. VINCENT has again
been sole proprietor.
The enterprising firm of HENRY, JOHNSON & LORD commenced business
at Waterbury, Vt., in 185 5, under the firm name of J. M. HENRY & Sons.
Under various changes the firm continued in Waterbury until March, 1867,
when they removed to Burlington. After this the addition of the wholesale
drug business was made to their manufacture of proprietary medicines. In
1870 the firm divided, the present firm of WELLS, RICHARDSON & Co.
taking the wholesale department under the firm title of HENRY & Co.
and HENRY & JOHNSON retaining the proprietary medicine department,
which they still continue, with the addition in 1879, of L. B. LORD to
the company, making the firm as at present. The specialties which they
manufacture are N. H. DOWNS's elixir, BAXTER's mandrake bitters, and arnica
and oil liniment, besides a large line of toilet articles, extracts, essences,
and other proprietary medicines. They have traveling salesmen in all New
England and the Middle States, while their sales extend to all parts of
the Union. They have a branch house in Montreal, which supplies an extensive
demand in Canada.
The drug firm of R. B. STEARNS & Co. are lineal descendants
from the old PECK stand established in 1840. The present proprietors assumed
the business in 1870. In addition to the drug trade, which is their specialty,
they carry a good stock of surgical instruments, which they claim cannot
be excelled in quality in the State.
The well-known wholesale drug firm, WELLS, RICHARDSON & Co.,
succeeded to the business of HENRY & Co. in 1872. The first members
of the firm were Edward WELLS, A. E. RICHARDSON and W. J. VAN PATTEN. In
1873 Henry WELLS was admitted as a partner, and in 1881 F. H. WELLS. They
occupy two large stores, Nos. 125 to 133 College street The first store
was built in 1874, and the later and larger one in 1883. The original business
of the firm was simply that of wholesale druggists, but in- 1886 they began
their successful enterprises as manufacturers of proprietary articles,
by putting upon the market their celebrated butter color. This became,
in a short time, very popular throughout the dairying sections of the country,
and the sale has already extended to England and Australia. The next article
which they put upon the market was the well known remedy, kidney-wort,
which was advertised very extensively by means of newspapers and almanacs,
and has had a deservedly high reputation for the diseases for which it
In 1881 the firm commenced the manufacture of the diamond dyes,
which are now sold in almost all parts of the world. These very useful
dyes are manufactured in thirty-six different colors, and are adapted to
a wide range of uses, from coloring the most ordinary goods to the finest
silks, ribbons, feathers, and for many artistic uses. The sale has probably
exceeded that of any proprietary article now upon the market.
The last enterprise of the firm is the manufacture of a very valuable
food for infants and invalids, which they have called lactated food. As
its name indicates, its basis is sugar of milk, or lactose, an article
which is now manufactured in large quantities by the American Milk Sugar
Company, under the patents of Prof. A. H. SABIN, of the University of Vermont.
The importance of an article of this kind is conceded by all well-informed
physicians, and the firm is in receipt of hundreds of letters from eminent
members of the profession, indorsing this food as the best article of the
kind with which they are acquainted. No doubt it will soon achieve as wide-spread
popularity as have the other articles previously put upon the market.
The demand for their goods induced WELLS, RICHARDSON & Co. several
years ago to establish a branch house in Montreal, where a large business
is done. Since then they have also established branches in London, England,
and in Sidney, New South Wales, Australia. Probably no other one of the
many enterprising houses of Burlington has done more to spread the name
and fame of their beautiful city throughout the world than have WELLS,
RICHARDSON & Co. In 1882, in order to handle their business to better
advantage, the firm changed their style to that of a corporation under
the name of WELLS & RICHARDSON Company, the stockholders in the corporation
remaining the same as those in the partnership previously. Edward WELLS
is president of the corporation; A. E. RICHARDSON, vice-president; Henry
WELLS, treasurer; W. J. VAN PATTEN, secretary; F. H. WELLS, assistant secretary.
The drug firm of B. W. CARPENTER & Co. began business here in
1875, the junior member, F. L. TAFT, having been with Dr. VINCENT for ten
years previous to the formation of this firm. The senior member was a surgeon
in the Ninth Vermont Regiment during the last war, and practiced in Burlington
until 1874. The firm deal extensively in everything at all pertaining to
this line of business, especially in TAFT's myrrhline, phosphated ginger
cream, capsine cholera specific, etc.
BURRITT Brothers started a drug store here in 1874, and in 1883
sold out to the present proprietor, F. W. BURRITT. He deals in all kinds
of drugs and patent medicines, dentists' and surgical instruments, etc.,
and has a large trade.
The Peoples' Drug Store, at 75 Church street, under the management
of BEAUPRE & LOWREY, proprietors, was opened by these gentlemen in
1880, they having succeeded the old firm of JONES & RILEY. The business
has grown steadily, until it is now one of the largest stores of its kind
in the State.
BELLROSE & GRANT have been in the drug business since 1881.
Their stock includes a thorough line of drugs, surgical instruments, laboratory
goods, reagent bottles, etc.
The drug store of W. H. ZOTTMAN & Co. was opened on the 15th
of January, 1885, and, in addition to a full line of drugs, makes a specialty
of compounding prescriptions. They also have two of the best soda fountains
in the State.
The drug firm of SULLIVAN & CARRIERES was formed in April, 1886.
They keep a complete line of patent medicines, drugs, perfumes, cigars
and sundries. They are also proprietors of SULLIVAN's cough balsam.
The jewelry house of BRINSMAID & HILDRETH, of 99 Church street,
is like a city landmark, and is the oldest of its kind in Burlington. It
was established by Abram BRINSMAID in the year 1793, and during this lengthened
period of more than ninety years the reputation of the house for responsibility
and first-class workmanship has never been disputed. By the admittance
of Moses BLISS as a partner the firm was known prior to 1824 as BRINSMAID
& BLISS, and has been followed successively by PANGBORN & BRINSMAID
in 1841; BRINSMAID Brothers in 1849; BRINSMAID, Brother & Co. in 18154;
and in that year the present firm name of BRINSMAID & HILDRETH was
They carry at all times a full and complete stock of foreign and
American watches, clocks, jewelry of all kinds, silver and silver plated
ware, and kindred goods, transacting a business that is not only local
but extends all over this section of the State. The individual names of
the proprietors are William BRINSMAID and Chester HILDRETH.
The business conducted by H. E. ADAMS & Son (Mark W. ADAMS)
was established in Burlington on the 1st of April, 1879, by the senior
member of the present firm. At the beginning the stock was valued at about
three thousand dollars, and only $5,000 worth were sold the first year.
But the sales have increased until they now amount to $20,000 annually.
L.X. FREMAU began dealing in jewelry in Burlington six years ago.
He makes a specialty of repairing, though he carries a complete stock for
E.A. BRUCE has been in the jewelry business at No. 106 Church street
for four years. The site, however, has been in use for a jewelry store
for the last thirty-five years. Mr. BRUCE carries a full line of the best
jewelry, watches, silverware, spectacles, eye-glasses, etc., and executes
with great care and skill the resetting and mounting of diamonds and other
precious stones: He gives special attention to the repairing and adjusting
of fine watches. His predecessor in the building was C. W. WINGATE.
In 1837 Samuel HUNTINGTON opened the first book and stationery store
in town, in the building which he still occupies, and has been in business
longer than any other merchant in the city. From a small country trade
the business has grown to extensive proportions, and is constantly increasing.
The present firm of S. HUNTINGTON & Co. manufactures blank books, keep
a fine stock of writing materials of every sort, albums, scrap books, etc.,
as well as a large assortment of the best educational and other books.
The store has for forty years been a depository of the American Bible Society.
In view of the fact that Mr. HUNTINGTON is the only merchant in business
to-day that was here when he began, his remarkable success must be gratifying.
The Free Press Association opened a store of the same kind about
six years ago, and have always kept a fine assortment of stationery, ruled
and bond papers, inks, etc. The stock carried is valued at $10,000 to $15,000.
In 1872 C. R. NASH began the business of plumbing, gas fitting,
furnace work and general jobbing in stoves, ranges and house-furnishing
goods, making plumbing a specialty. The junior partner of the firm of NASH
& ROCHE, P. A. ROCHE, was admitted to the position in 1885.
JOHNSON Brothers began dealing in crockery, china, glass and silver
plated ware, wall-paper, window-shades, lamp goods, etc., in 1879, succeeding
to a business which was established about thirty-five years ago. C. G.
PETERSON has been in the same line of trade for five years. He does considerable
wholesaling. The Boston Bargain Store, Chester C. COLLINS, proprietor,
was founded in 1884. The stock consists of tinware, crockery, glassware
and fancy goods.
A.G. PIERCE has, since 1873, conducted the business established
by his father in 1845, and carried on from 1858 to 1873 by PIERCE &
Son ; carries everything that is demanded in farm machinery, seeds, fertilizers,
C.P. SMITH succeeded in 1867 to the business which Frederick SMITH
had founded ten or twelve years before. He is now a wholesale and retail
dealer in flour, grain, feed, hay and seeds. “A good line of good goods."
The store of JONES & ISHAM was opened in 1883 by the present
members of the firm, J. W. JONES and C. S. ISHAM. Besides carrying a first-class
assortment of oatmeals and grahams, they deal in field and garden seeds,
flour, grain and feed, baled hay, grass-seed, oil meal, and ground bone.
They also sell Nova Scotia plaster extensively.
One of the best as well as oldest of the coal interests of the city
is that of Elias LYMAN. Honorable dealing has increased a trade at first
small to large proportions. In no case has misrepresentation as to quality
or quantity been practiced, and his customers have come to regard his statements
as in all respects trustworthy. His stock is of the best.
J.W. HAYES, wholesale and retail dealer in hard and soft coal and
wood, established his trade in Burlington ten or twelve years ago. It is
enough to say that he handled 10,000 tons of coal during the last year,
his trade reaching Canada and New Hampshire. He also keeps a general grocery
at No. 165 South Champlain street.
The firm of ADSIT & BIGELOW -- E. S. ADSIT and J. J. BIGELOW
-- was formed in 1875. By reason of thrift and honesty these gentlemen
have established a trade throughout Vermont and Eastern New Hampshire,
requiring the handling of 10,000 tons of coal per annum. They also deal
somewhat in hard wood.
S. BEACH, baker and confectioner, began business here about 1854.
He keeps a large assortment of the goods expected in his line, and has
a wholesale business that embraces Northern New York and Eastern New Hampshire.
His specialties are the Burlington and the Boston cracker. Two men are
kept on the road, and for the retail trade two teams are required in Burlington
and Winooski. His business is worth about $55,000 per annum and demands
the continual employment of about twenty men.
H.E. SAILS began business in Burlington in 1870, and keeps an excellent
stock of tobaccos, cigars, fruits and confectionery. His ice cream parlors
are also well patronized. Other confectionery stores are kept by G. B.
KENT & Co. and Charles N. JONES, started respectively four years, and
six months, ago. G. B. WOODWARD opened a news store and began keeping confectionery
on the 1st of September, 1885.
The firm of REED & TAYLOR became successors in 1884 to the old
house of MURRAY & REED, who for twenty years had carried on a trade
in teas, coffees, spices, tobacco and cigars. The business is now largely
wholesale, extending throughout Vermont, Northern New York and a part of
New Hampshire. Three men are kept on the road. Tobacco and cigars are with
them a specialty, and two and a half million cigars were sold in 1885.
The wholesale and retail tobacco store of C. N. MEAD, on the corner of
Main and Church streets, is worth an income of from $25,000 to $40,000
The immense wholesale trade in teas, coffees, spices, tobacco and
cigars, now conducted by POPE, BERRY & HALL, was founded in 1866 by
GREGORY & MEAD, T. W. GREGORY & Co., MINOR, POPE & Co., and
the present firm successively followed, the last change occurring about
nine years ago. The business is entirely wholesale, three men being kept
continually on the road. Teas, coffees and spices are the specialty. The
firm carry a stock valued at $25,000, and have annual sales of from $250,000
The New York and China Tea Company was formed three years ago, S.
W. HENRY, manager. Their stock of $1,000 is of an excellent quality. A
beginning has been made in a wholesale trade.
H.H. DAVIS keeps a full line of artists' materials, books, musical
goods, and apparatus for all games. He has been in trade in Burlington
since 1873. He also carries a line of school-books, newspapers and periodical
BAILEY's music rooms, under the efficient management of H. W. HALL,
has been opened in this city for seven years past. The main store, however,
is at St. Johnsbury, under Mr. BAILEY's management. This business is worth
from $60,000 to $80,000 per annum, six men being on the road. The stock
is in pianos, organs and musical instruments of all kinds, musical merchandise
and sheet music. The trade extends all through Northern Vermont and New
For the last three years Mrs. H. E. SAILS has dealt in Kensington
art work in all its branches, and in fancy goods of every description.
The art store of L. G. BURNHAM is worthy of particular mention as
being the best of its kind in the State. Everything in the nature of picture
frames and mouldings is made here. A wholesale business is done in photographers'
and artists' supplies, and an extensive trade carried on in artists' materials,
plush goods, fancy articles and novelties. Mr. BURNHAM has been in a similar
business in Burlington for the last ten years, and has conducted his art
store since 1884. His line of etchings and engravings is unsurpassed in
this part of New England.
AND BURLINGTON HORSE
The charter for this, the first horse railroad company in the State,
was obtained on the 31st of October, 1872, by F. C. KENNEDY, Lemuel B.
PLATT, Charles W. WOODHOUSE, Edward W. PECK, and Levi UNDERWOOD, corporators,
with a capital stock of $100,000. Nothing effectual was done until the
summer of 1885, when C. D. HAINES, of Sandy Hill, N. Y., came to Burlington
and organized the company. A contract was let to his brother, A. G. HAINES,
to build an equipped road for $40,000. To extend the road as it now runs,
it was bonded for $15,000, and stock paid up for $25,000. It is three miles
in length. The road is not now quite a standard gauge road, but is to be
widened from its present breadth of four feet, to four feet eight inches,
and in the summer open cars are placed on the track. The capital stock
is also yet to be increased. But the company have placed themselves on
a solid footing and will undoubtedly make the road in every way a success.
The first officers of the company were C. D. HAINES, president, U. A. WOODBURY,
vice-president, and directors as now, except Jo D. HATCH in place of E.
T. HAINES, resigned. The present officers and directors are as follows:
President, U. A. WOODBURY; vice-president, F. C. KENNEDY; superintendent,
K. B. WALKER; treasurer, L. E. WOODHOUSE; clerk, George W. WALES; directors,
U. A. WOODBURY, C. D. HAINES, F. C. KENNEDY, K. B. WALKER, and Jo D. HATCH.
The first post route in Vermont was established on the 19th of June,
1781, when Samuel SHERMAN was employed to "ride post from His Excellency's
in Arlington to Camp Headquarters at (Castleton) once a week three months
from date hereof." He was to go one road by way of Tinmouth and return
by way of Pawlet. For his “encouragement," he was allowed fourteen shillings
a week out of the State treasury. In 1783 the Governor and Council established
a weekly post between Bennington and Albany, and Anthony HASWELL, father
Nathan B. HASWELL, afterward a prominent Burlington merchant, was appointed
postmaster-general. On the 5th of March, 1784, the Legislature enacted
a law for the establishment of post-offices within the State, which was
substantially re-enacted in March, 1787, with the following preamble:
"Whereas, the business of promulgating the
laws, conveying timely notice to the inhabitants of the State of all proprietary
proceedings, and other matters of importance to the public, can in no other
way be effected so extensively and with so small expense as by the appointment
of regular posts for conveying the same to the different parts of this
State;" therefore five post-offices were established, viz: At Bennington,
Rutland, Brattleboro, Windsor, and Newbury, under such regulations as were
established for the government of the post-offices of the United States.
The post-rider from Bennington to Brattleboro was allowed three pence for
every mile traveled, and riders on the other routes two pence per mile,
"in hard money orders or hard money." The postmaster-general was empowered
to employ a rider to travel from Rutland through Addison county (of which
this county was then a part), at two pence per mile, "each fortnight for
one-half the circuit, going one road and returning another." On the 15th
of October, 1790, to the dissatisfaction of the public, who feared a suspension
of the service, that part of the act which provided for the compensation
of the riders was repealed. On the 21st of January, 1788, Daniel MARSH
advertised himself as post-rider from Clarendon to Onion River, the northern
terminus of his route being Jericho. There was no authority for the establishment
of an office in Chittenden county, which then extended to the Canada line;
and the conclusion is that there were no offices in the State except the
five named in the act of 1787, until June 1, 1792, after the service had
become a part of the economy of the general government. On that day, under
the authority of Congress, additional offices were opened in Manchester,
Vergennes, and Burlington. Congress was very slow in the extension of the
service in Vermont, the first act, passed March 3, 1791, authorizing the
postmaster-general to extend the carrying of the mail from Albany to Bennington;
in other words, merely connecting the general service with that previously
established in Vermont.
Under an act passed on the 20th of February, 1792, only the following
routes were established in this State: From Albany by way of Troy and Lansingburgh
to Bennington, Manchester and Rutland, once a week; from Rutland to Burlington,
once in two weeks, though proposals were invited for service once a week;
from Springfield, Mass., by way of Northampton to Brattleboro, once a week;
and from Brattleboro by way of Charlestown, N. H., and Windsor, Vt., to
Hanover, N. H., once a week. In 1801 the Rutland “Herald”contained advertisements
of the following routes, among others:
From Windsor by way of Woodstock, Royalton, Randolph, Williamston,
Montpelier and Jericho to Burlington, once a week, the rider leaving Burlington
on Saturdays at six o'clock A. M., arriving at Montpelier by six P. M.,
and at Windsor on Mondays by ten A. M. Returning he would leave Windsor
every Wednesday at two o'clock P. M., reach Montpelier on Thursdays at
seven P. M. and Burlington seven P. M. on Fridays. Another route was from
Rutland north by way of Pittsford, Brandon, Salisbury, Middlebury, Vergennes,
Charlotte, Shelburne, Burlington, Colchester, Milton, etc., to Highgate,
once a week, leaving Rutland at five o'clock every Monday morning, reaching
Charlotte at ten on Tuesday mornings, Burlington by one on Tuesday afternoons,
and Highgate at seven on Wednesday afternoons. Going south the carrier
would leave Highgate at eight o'clock Thursday mornings, reach Burlington
at eleven o'clock Friday mornings; leave Burlington at noon, reach Charlotte
at two in the afternoon and Rutland at eight o'clock every Saturday afternoon.
Fifteen minutes was allowed for the opening and closing of the mails at
all offices where the time was not particularly specified. This system
of transmission by stage was continued, of course, until the opening of
railroads through the State, about 1850. Thompson's “Gazetteer” states
that there were in 1840 three lines of mail stages through Burlington,
which arrived and departed daily, one to the south, one to the east and
one to the north.
In 1804 there were sixty post towns in the State, seven of which
were in Chittenden county, viz: Burlington, postmaster, John FAY ; Charlotte,
W. BARNES; Hinesburg, Elijah BOSTWICK; Huntington, Jabez FARGO; Jericho,
Roderick MESSENGER; Richmond ____ ____; and Williston, Eben JUDSON. In
1823, as shown by Walton's “Register,’ there were 163 post-offices in the
State, and about $20,000 was annually paid on the postage of letters, papers
and pamphlets by the inhabitants thereof, numbering 235,749 persons. The
compensation of postmasters was on the basis of 30 per cent. on the first
$100 of receipts, and 25 per cent. on the next $100. Brattleboro was the
largest office in Vermont. Middlebury was second in importance and Burlington
third. The salary of Ephraim MILLS, the postmaster at Burlington, was $333.
All the other postmasters in the county received less than $l00. The rates
of postage were for a single letter of one piece of paper, for any distance
not exceeding thirty miles, six cents ; over thirty and not exceeding eighty
miles, ten cents; over eighty and not exceeding 150 miles, twelve and a
half cents; over 150 and not exceeding 400 miles, eighteen and three-fourths
cents; over 400 miles, twenty-five cents. Letters composed of two pieces
of paper were charged double those rates, three pieces were charged triple
rates, and more than three pieces quadruple postage.
The highest salary paid any of the 4,000 postmasters in the United
States was then $2,000, and there were only ten who were paid that sum,
while twenty-seven received $1,000 and upward. In 1845 the rates of postage
were reduced, and letters weighing not more than half an ounce could be
sent any distance under 300 miles for five cents, and any greater distance
for ten cents. In 1851 the rates were again modified so that a single letter,
that is, a letter weighing not more than half an ounce, would be carried
3,000 miles, or under, for three cents, if prepaid, and for five cents
if not prepaid. The rates for a distance exceeding 3,000 miles were respectively
six and twelve cents. Postage stamps and stamped envelopes were not used
until 1852. The system of charging uniform rates on letters according to
weight, and disregarding distance within the limits of the country, was
established in 1863.
In the earlier years of the existence of Burlington, and down to
a period within the memory of living man, money was so scarce that a letter
would frequently remain in the office several days or a week, until the
person to whom it leas addressed could earn the twenty-five cents, or less,
by labor for cash instead of pork, wheat, or pot-ashes.
Following is a list of the postmasters of Burlington from the first
in 1792 to the present (for the first eight names credit should be given
to Robert ROBERTS, esq., through whose influence they were obtained from
the department at Washington): Amos HUTCHINS, appointed July 17, 1792;
John FAY, March 20, 1793; Cornelius P. VAN NESS, July 1, 1809; Jason CHAMBERLIN,
March 6, 1814; Dr. Elijah D. HARMON, January 22, 1816; Almon WARNER, October
17 1816; Ephraim MILLS, September 26, 1818; Henry B. STACY, May 12, 1841;
Dana WINSLOW, 1843; William NOBLE, 1845; George H. PAUL, 1849; Luther P.
BLODGETT, 1850; Douglas A. DANFORTH, 1854; G. Grenville BENEDICT, 1862
; Samuel HUNTINGTON, 1866; William H. HOYT, 1867; George H. BIGELOW, 1868;
G. Grenville BENEDICT, 1872; Buel J. DERBY, 1875.
While Ephraim MILLS was postmaster the office was kept in a little
room about twenty-five feet long and twelve wide, in Mills' Row, a building
described in former pages as a long two-story wooden structure extending
from the east end of the American Hotel to Church street and fronting the
square. Behind it, instead of the buildings now to be seen, was a large
garden. This post-office was distinguished less by "pigeon-holes," for
the reception of mail matter, than by little shelves. The floor was usually
and unavoidably littered with pieces of paper, for in those days envelopes
were unknown; the writer would place the address of the person for whom
the letter was intended on the back of the folded sheet itself, around
which the postmaster would wrap an extra sheet, write upon it the name
of the place for which the communication was destined, tie it and send
it on. Letters received here were stripped of their outer covering by the
postmaster and, when paid for, delivered to the person addressed. When
Mr. STACY received the appointment he fitted up an office in a framed building
that occupied the present site of the Commercial Bank building, on the
north side of the square, and constructed pigeon-holes and letter boxes
for the convenience of the public, an innovation that was generally appreciated.
It is related that the painter who labeled the letter-box slits on the
inner apartment and on the outer door, in his anxiety to please and perform
more of a service than was expected of him, painted over the key-hole on
the street door the title "key-hole," to the amusement of the many and
annoyance of the postmaster. The office was kept for a number of years
after Mr. STACY's retirement in the rear part of the building at present
occupied as an office by the Burlington Shirt Company, on the southwest
corner of College and St. Paul streets.
The land now occupied by the post-office and custom-house building
was deeded on August 27, 1816, by Seth POMEROY to John POMEROY for $3,000.
John N. POMEROY derived his title from the latter, and on the 30th of March,
1855, sold the property, including the brick cottage, to the United States
for $7,750. The deed describes the lot as extending 220 feet on Main
street and 316 on Church. On the 4th of August, 1854, Congress passed an
act appropriating $40,000 for the construction of a custom-house, post-office
and rooms for the judge of the United States District Court, at Burlington.
This building was begun in the fall of 1855, and completed in the spring
of 1857. In June, 1838, an additional appropriation of $4,000 was made
for paving and grading the grounds and furnishing the building. It is composed
of brick, iron and stone, only the doors, base-boards and the floors of
the upper story being made of wood. Douglas A. DANFORTH, the first postmaster
to occupy it, removed his office from the basement of the city HALL.
Edward J. PHELPS, the subject of this sketch, was born in Middlebury,
Vt., July II. 1822. He was the son of Samuel S. PHELPS, who, as lawyer,
judge of the Supreme Court, and United States Senator, has left a reputation
for distinguished ability. The son, Edward J., was graduated from Middlebury
College in 1840. He studied law at the Yale College Law School and in the
office of Hon. Horatio SEYMOUR, in Middlebury, and was admitted to the
bar in 1843. He soon removed to Burlington and became a partner of Hon.
David A. SMALLEY. The firm had a large business. Later in life he was for
some time a partner with Hon. L. E. CHITTENDEN. In 1851 he accepted the
office of second comptroller of the currency under President Fillmore,
and served through this administration. From 1856 for two or three years
he practiced his profession in New York city. Returning to Burlington he
continued in active practice until 1880, when he was made professor in
the Yale College Law School At this time he gave up most of his local professional
work, retaining his connection only with the most important cases. For
many years his legal business had been in quality and extent perhaps the
most desirable of any in the State. In 1870 he represented Burlington in
the constitutional convention. In 1877 he presided with his wonted grace
over the centennial celebration of the Bennington battle, and delivered
the opening address. In 1880 he gave a course of lectures on medical jurisprudence
before the medical department of the University of Vermont. He was president
of the American Bar Association in 1881. His printed report to that body,
of the "changes in statute law," is a good example of his witty and sarcastic
style of treating certain classes of subjects. As professor of law in Yale
College he was extremely popular as a lecturer, his light and graceful
touch embellishing the dryest of topics. In 1882 he also gave a short course
of lectures before the law school of Boston University upon constitutional
In politics Mr. PHELPS was a Whig, while the organization of that
party continued vital. Later, he acted usually with the Democratic party,
although taking little part in the business of politics. In 1880 he was
the Democratic nominee for governor.
Upon the accession of the Democratic party to power in 1884, he
was nominated and confirmed as minister to England. Never having been in
the National Legislature, his newspaper reputation was limited and the
nomination was something of a surprise to active politicians; but his eminent
fitness for the English mission has already been demonstrated.
In August, 1845, Mr. PHELPS was married to Miss Mary HAIGHT. Of
their four children two survive-Mary H., the wife of Horatio LOOMIS, of
Burlington, and Edward P., now in London, a member of the legation. A son,
Charles, died in boyhood, and Edward H. died in Detroit in 1884, at the
age of thirty-seven, while occupying the position of chief engineer of
the Michigan Central Railroad.
Mr. PHELPS holds a high position at the bar. In the management of
causes before the court and jury he is extremely skillful, facile and adroit;
well equipped to meet all emergencies -- he is a dangerous antagonist and
is notably successful in winning verdicts. He has a gift of graceful and
fluent expression which has been carefully cultivated, so that as a speaker
and advocate he has few superiors in point of neatness, elegance, finish
George F. EDMUNDS. -- Vermont from its earliest history has wielded
an influence in the national councils out of all proportion to her population
and the extent of her territory. Her distinguished senatorial delegation
for a century has added to her fame and prestige as a producer of great
men. Mr. EDMUNDS holds a high place in the list of senators from this State,
and no one of them has been recorded as having been the originator or promoter
of so many important measures of legislation as he.
Mr. EDMUNDS was born in Richmond, Vt., February 1, 1828. He was
educated in the village schools, and also spent some time in study under
a private tutor. He studied law in the office of his brother-in-law, A.
B. MAYNARD, and afterwards in the office of SMALLEY & PHELPS, at Burlington.
He was admitted to the bar in 1849, and began practice in Richmond in partnership
with Mr. MAYNARD. In 1851 he removed to Burlington, and very early showed
an aptitude for the profession, which brought him a good practice. He always
had a civil business of good volume and character. In the Vermont Central
Railroad litigation, which in one form or another was in the courts for
many years, and which involved the large interests of various classes of
security holders, he was one of the leading counsel. Mature in intellect
as well as in personal appearance, his successes came early and have continually
followed him. In August, 1852, he married Miss Susan MARSH LYMAN, daughter
of Wyllys LYMAN, of Burlington. They have had two daughters, one of whom
In 1854, when twenty-six years of age, he was elected town representative
as a candidate of the younger element in politics. He was a member of the
House from 1854 to 1857 inclusive, and during the three last sessions was
speaker. In 1855 he was chairman of the judiciary committee. In 1861 Mr.
EDMUNDS was elected State senator from Chittenden county, and during this
term was chairman of the judiciary committee. He was re-elected in 1862.
In the State Legislature he was distinguished for his thorough acquaintance
with the duties of every post to which he was assigned, and his close attention
to the business of the day in every detail. In 1866 he was appointed by
Governor Dillingham as the successor in the Senate of the United States
of Solomon Foote, and was afterwards elected by the Legislature for the
remainder of the term ending March 4, 1869. In 1880 he received his fourth
election. His present term of service expired by limitation in 1886. From
these data it will be seen that Mr. EDMUNDS has been in public service,
either in the State or the National Legislature, every year but five since
he became twenty-six years of age. In the United States Senate Mr. EDMUNDS
early took an active and leading part. He has served in the committees
on commerce, public lands, retrenchments, and appropriations. During the
Forty-first Congress he was chairman of the committee on pensions, and
in the third session of the Forty-second Congress he succeeded Mr. TRUMBULL
as chairman of the judiciary committee. This position he held continuously
until the accession of the Democratic party to power in 1885. In 1866 he
reported a bill to regulate the term of civil offices. At the beginning
of GRANT's administration he earnestly opposed the repeal of the tenure
of office act. In 1876, at the crisis of the conflict over the electoral
count, he submitted a draft of the constitutional amendment, which provided
for the counting of the electoral votes by the Supreme Court of the United
States. The proposition was rejected. He was afterwards chairman of the
Senate committee which devised the bill providing for the electoral commission.
Mr. EDMUNDS reported the bill and was made a member of the commission.
In 1886 he framed, advocated, and pressed to their passage the resolutions
which declared it to be the sense of the Senate that papers on file in
the departments should be submitted to the Senate on demand, when they
concerned the reputation of any public officer who was removed, or who
was proposed for confirmation. The anti-polygamy bill was chiefly his work,
and the bill providing for the presidential succession, which became a
law January 9, 1883, was introduced by him. The foregoing are a few of
the many legislative measures with which the name of Mr. EDMUNDS has been
prominently identified. At the close of the last session of Congress he
was chosen president pro tem. of the Senate.
Although never a willing candidate for the office of president of
the United States, his name was presented by the Vermont delegation to
the National Republican Conventions of 1880 and 1884, and met the endorsement
of a large and influential portion of the press and people.
Mr. EDMUNDS is a very -Strong debater upon questions of law as well
as politics, and has had during his senatorial term a large practice before
the Supreme Court of the United States. Mr. EDMUNDS is recognized as one
of the great leaders of the Republican party, and from his extensive and
thorough information in all matters pertaining to the public service, he
has become at Washington the guide and counselor of Republicans and Democrats
alike, in questions of political administration, wherever considerations
of party may chance to have no place.
Next to Mr. PHELPS, the attorney of longest standing in Burlington
is E. R. HARD, who was admitted to practice in the Chittenden County Court
at the March term of 1845. He was born at Essex, Vt., on the 17th of February,
1824; secured his education by private study, and took his preliminary
course of law study in the office of David A. SMALLEY.
William G. SHAW was born at Danville, Vt., on the 9th of August,
1831; was graduated from the University of Vermont in 1849; began the study
of law with William W. PECK and David A. SMALLEY, of Burlington; was admitted
to practice at Burlington in 1853. He held the position of secretary of
civil and military affairs of the State in 1856-58; was reporter of the
decisions of the Supreme Court from 1858-64; member of the House of Representatives
from Burlington in 1862-63; alderman of this city in 1868; judge of the
City Court of Burlington 1868-72; in 1856 he was chosen a member of the
board of trustees of the Burlington Savings Bank, and has retained the
office ever since. He is a member of the board of trustees of the University
of Vermont, to which position he was called in 1881; and he is also a member
of the board of trustees of the permanent fund of the Home for Destitute
Children, to which position he was appointed December 20, 1876.
Daniel ROBERTS, for a more extended sketch of whose life the reader
is referred to a subsequent page, was born in Wallingford, Vt., on the
25th of May, 1811; received a collegiate education at Middlebury, was admitted
to the bar of Rutland county in September, 1832, and came to Burlington
Russell S. TAFT was born in Williston, Vt., on the 28th of January,
1835, was educated at the common schools and academies, and after a due
course of study was admitted to the bar of Chittenden county in 1856. He
was selectman of the town from 1861 to 1864, and alderman of the city of
Burlington from 1865 to 1869; was State's attorney for Chittenden county
in 1862, '63, and '64; senator from this county in 1865-66, and lieutenant-governor
of the State in 1872-74. In 1880 he represented the city in the Legislature
and was elected associate judge of the Supreme Court, and in 1882 was appointed
fifth associate judge by Governor FARNHAM, vice Wheelock G. VEAZEY, promoted.
He was elected fifth associate judge in 1882.
C.J. ALGER was born at Hinesburg, Vt., on the 20th of December,
1829, and was graduated from the University of Vermont in 1854. In 1856,
after a two years' service as principal of the Franklin, Vt., Academy,
he began the study of law in the office of Hon. George F. EDMUNDS. In 1857
he entered the office of Hon. Asahel PECK as student and in April, 1858,
was admitted to practice in the courts of this State. He followed his profession
somewhat irregularly, owing to his activity in public affairs. He became
interested in the public schools of the city, was elected school commissioner
and served seven years as clerk of the school board, and after a year's
retirement was called to the position of superintendent of schools for
six successive years, when he resigned further service. He was then devoted
to the interests of the city as alderman for five years, during the last
two of which he was chairman at the same time of the street and water committees.
These positions were never before held simultaneously by the same person.
In the spring of 1886, owing to his increasing labors as editor and publisher
of the “Burlington Independent” (an able and a fearless exponent of good
morals and clean politics), which he had a few months previously established,
he relinquished the duties of this office. He had never abandoned the practice
of his profession, but had continually been engaged in the transaction
of legal business, especially in the collection of claims, etc. A growing
defect in hearing prevented his frequent appearance before the courts in
A.V. SPALDING was born on the 1st day of February, 1835, at Bridgewater,
Vt. He received his education at West Randolph Academy, and pursued his
law studies in the office of Hon. Jefferson P. KIDDER, once lieutenant-governor
of Vermont, and lately United States district judge of Dakota. He was admitted
to practice at the June term of the Orange County Court, in 1859.
Henry BALLARD was born on the 20th of April, 1839, in the town of
Tinmouth, Vt.; was graduated from the law department of the University
of Albany in 1863, and in September of the same year was admitted to the
bar of Chittenden county. A more detailed sketch of Mr. BALLARD's life
appears in a later page.
Hon. BRADLEY B. SMALLEY was born in Jericho on the 26th of November,
1836, and removed to Burlington in 1839. He received a common school and
academic education; studied law with his father, the late Hon. David A.
SMALLEY; was appointed clerk of the District Court of Vermont in 1861,
and admitted to the bar of Chittenden county in 1863. He represented the
city of Burlington in the Legislature of 18i4 and again in 1878, besides
holding various offices in the city. During the presidential campaign of
1884 he was chairman of the State Democratic committee, and in 1886 was
appointed by President Cleveland collector of the port for the district
W.L. BURNAP was graduated from Dartmouth college in the class of
1863, and soon after entered the law office of WALES & TAFT of Burlington.
He was admitted to the Chittenden county bar at the September term of 1886.
As will be seen by reference to the civil list, he served as State's attorney
for three years; he was county senator in 1882, and is now professor of
medical jurisprudence in the medical department of the University of Vermont.
George B. SHAW was born on the 27th of July, 1845, at Burlington;
was graduated from the University of Vermont in 1865; studied law at the
University of Albany and with his brother, judge William G. SHAW, and was
admitted to the bar in April, 1 868. He has practiced in Boston, New York
city, and for nine and a half years in Burlington.
A.G. WHITTEMORE was born in Milton on the 23d of January, 1844.
After receiving his degree from the University of Vermont in 1867, he entered
the law office of C. W. WITTERS, of Milton, and was admitted to the Chittenden
County Court at the September term of 1870. In the following spring he
came to Burlington and shortly afterward entered into partnership with
Henry O. WHEELER, a relation which subsisted until the 1st of January,
1886. Mr. WHITTEMORE represented the town of Milton in the Legislature
in 1870, and was president of the Burlington Board of Aldermen from 1876
E.F. BROWNELL was born in Williston on the 15th of May, 1846; studied
law in the office of Hon. Daniel ROBERTS, was graduated from the Albany
Law School in 1870, and admitted in Burlington in September, 1870.
Robert ROBERTS, the junior member of the firm of ROBERTS & ROBERTS,
was born on the 1st of January, 1848, and became a graduate of the University
of Vermont in 1869. After the usual course of study, part of which he took
at the Columbia College Law School, he was admitted to the bar of Chittenden
county in September, 1871. Since that time, with the exception of one year
in Europe immediately after his admission to practice, and two years in
practice in Chicago, he has been regularly engaged in practice in Burlington.
He represented the city in the Legislature from 1882 to 1884.
J.W. RUSSELL was born on the 1st of September, 1846, at Moira, Franklin
county, N. Y., and was graduated from Yale College in the class of 1868.
He studied law in the office of Judge William G. SHAW, in Burlington, and
was admitted to the bar of Chittenden county at the September term of 1871,
after a course in the Columbia Law School. He was afterward admitted to
practice in the Supreme Court of the State, and in the United States Courts.
From December, 1882, to December, 1884, he was State's attorney for Chittenden
Henry O. WHEELER was born on the 7th of October, 1841, in the town
of Williston. He was educated in the University of Vermont. He entered
this institution in the class of 1860, but owing to the Rebellion, in which
he rendered his country gallant service, he was not graduated until 1867.
During the war he fought in the ranks of the First Vermont Cavalry, and
was promoted first lieutenant of Company A, and afterwards brevetted captain.
He was wounded while engaged in the battle of the Wilderness by a ball
which seriously affected, and, to all appearance at least, penetrated the
left lung, but he was able to enter the action at Shenandoah Valley on
the 7th of October, 1864, when he was taken prisoner and confined in Libby
prison until the following February. He was then exchanged. After his graduation
from the university, he began the study of law in the University of Michigan
at Ann Arbor, and continued his course with CONGAR & SLOAN, of Janesville,
Wis. There he was admitted to practice on the 1st of June, 1868. He removed
to Iowa, was admitted to the District Court of that State on the 11th of
May, 1869, at Fort Dodge, and to the Supreme Court on the 13th of November,
1871. He came to Burlington in the spring of 1872 from Winooski, where
he had been for a few months. He was appointed superintendent of schools
in I880, after serving several years before that on the school board, and
retains the position still. He is also treasurer of the University of Vermont
and State Agricultural College, to which place he was appointed in July,
Chauncey W. BROWNELL, jr., was born in Williston on the 7th of October,
1847. He is a graduate from the University of Vermont, class of 1870, and
of the Albany Law School in 1872. He also studied for a time in the office
of WALES & TAFT. He was admitted to the Chittenden County Courts in
September, 1872. He was assistant secretary of the State Senate from 1874
to 1880, since which time he has been the secretary of that body. He is
also State's attorney for Chittenden county.
Elihu Barber TAFT was born on the 25th of March, 1847, at Williston
He was educated at the Williston Academy and the University of Vermont,
from the latter of which institutions he was graduated in 1871. He studied
law with the firm of WALES & TAFT, and was admitted to practice at
the April term of 1873.
Hamilton S. PECK was born on the 22d of October, 1845, at Royalston,
Worcester county, Mass., and is a graduate from the University of Vermont.
He pursued his course of study with WALES & TAFT, and L. L. LAWRENCE,
of Burlington, and was admitted to practice in the courts of Chittenden
county at the April term of court 1873.
Seneca HASELTON was born on the 26th of February, 1848, at Westford,
in this county. After his graduation from the University of Vermont in
1871, he entered the law office of WALES & TAFT, and completed his
course of study in the law department of the University of Michigan, from
which he was graduated in 1875. In the same year he was admitted to practice
in the courts of Chittenden county. He was elected city judge in 1878,
and in consequence of annual re-election held the office until 1886.
W.H. HARE, born on the 12th of May, 1848, at Cedars, P. Q., and
graduated from the Montreal College at the age of twenty years, came to
Burlington in 1872, and commenced. the study of law with the Hon. Levi
UNDERWOOD. He was admitted at the May term of 1876, after completing his
course with L. L. LAWRENCE. From 1877 to 1880 he was clerk of the City
Court; has been city grand juror three years in succession; was again clerk
of the City Court in 1885, and in 1886 was elected city judge.
L.F. ENGLESBY was born on the 3d of August, 1854, in Burlington.
He received his education at the High School in this city and at the University
of Vermont, and prepared himself for the practice of law at the Boston
Law School, in the offices of S. H. DUDLEY, of Boston, and Henry BALLARD,
of Burlington. He was admitted at the April term, 1879. He has served as
grand juror, clerk of the City Court, and is now alderman from the first
J.J. ENRIGHT was born in what is now South Burlington on the 6th
of April, 1861, received his education in Burlington, studied law in the
office of Hon. Henry BALLARD and was admitted to the bar in the spring
of 1882. He is still a resident of South Burlington, for which he has been
town agent for the last three years.
D.J. FOSTER born in the town of Barnet on the 27th of June, 1857,
educated at the St. Johnsbury Academy and at Dartmouth College, from which
he was graduated in the class of 1880, and began his law studies with J.
W. RUSSELL, of Burlington. He was admitted to practice at the April term
of court, 1883. He has held the offices of city grand juror and school
commissioner since 1885.
Orman P. RAY was born in Irasburgh, Vt., on the 21st of May, 1837,
and was admitted to the Coos county (N. H.) bar in November, 1886. His
home had always been in Vermont until 1865, when he went to New Hampshire.
He removed to Winooski in 1872. On the 6th of September, 1882, he was appointed
county clerk, a position which he now fills. He removed to Burlington in
James A. BROWN was born on the 23d of November, 1840, at Grand Isle,
Vt. He completed a regular course in the University of Vermont in 1863;
began the study of law in the office of Hon. George F. EDMUNDS ; went one
term to the law department of the Albany University, and was admitted to
the bar at Plattsburgh, while in the office of G. M. BECKWITH & Sons,
in 1865. He then practiced several years in Milton, Vt., and removed to
his old home, Grand Isle. He represented that town in 1880, and also served
it in the capacity of State's attorney. He came to Burlington in July,
1885, and is deputy collector of internal revenue for the district of Vermont.
Dr. H. H. ATWATER was born on the 17th of February, 1828, at Norfolk,
St. Lawrence county, N. Y., and came to Burlington with his father, Dr.
William ATWATER, in 1829. He was graduated from the University of Vermont
in 1847, and from the medical college at Woodstock, Vt., in 1851, and immediately
began his practice in this town. He was in partnership with his father
until the death of the latter in 1853. Among the offices -- all of them
professional -- which he has held may be mentioned that of commissioner
of the insane for the State two years; health officer of the city six years
in all; city physician, etc. He is now instructor in obstetrics during
the winter terms of the medical department of the University of Vermont,
and consulting physician of the Mary Fletcher Hospital. He is the author
of the chapter on medical men and institutions in former pages of this
Dr. S. WAGER was born in New Jersey in 1818, received his education
in New York and New Jersey, and came to Burlington thirty years ago. Since
that time lie has continuously practiced in this city.
Dr. Hiram CRANDALL was born at Royalton, Vt., December 4, 1804,
was educated at Royalton Academy, studied medicine with Dr. Benjamin P.
SMITH and was graduated from the Woodstock Medical College in 1832. He
took up his residence in Burlington in 1865.
Dr. H. A. CRANDALL was born at Hartford, Vt., on the 6th of August,
1831, and received an academical education at the Kimball Union Academy
of Meriden, N. H. He attended the medical college at Castleton, Vt., from
which he was graduated in June, 1859. His medical preceptors were Dr. Hiram
CRANDALL, of Burlington, and Dr. A. WOODWARD, of Brandon, Vt. He began
to practice medicine and surgery in Burlington in 1865.
Dr. W. B. LUND was born in Burlington on the 3d of April, 1841.
He received a collegiate education at the University of Vermont, and graduated
in medicine from the medical department of the University of Michigan.
His medical preceptor in Burlington was Dr. H. H. ATWATER. He established
his practice in Burlington in 1865.
Dr. A. P. GRINNELL was born on the 26th of December, 1845, at Messena,
St. Lawrence county, N. Y. He was graduated in medicine from the Bellevue
Hospital in 1869, and first practiced in Ogdensburgh, N. Y. Twelve years
ago he came to Burlington and has ever since been dean of the medical department
of the University of Vermont. He is now professor of theory and practice
in this institution and also in the Long Island Medical College at Brooklyn,
N. Y.; medical director of the Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York
for Vermont and New Hampshire; acting assistant surgeon of the United States
Marine Hospital Service in the district of Vermont; attending physician
at the Mary Fletcher Hospital; and president of the Board of Pension Examiners
for this district.
Dr. J. E. MONTMARQUET was born in Montreal, Canada, in 1845, studied
medicine with Dr. DORSONNS, of that city, and was graduated from the College
of Physicians and Surgeons, at Montreal. He began to practice in Burlington
Dr. L. M. BINGHAM was born at FLETCHER, Vt., on the 10th of April,
1 was educated at the Normal School, JOHNSON Academy at Stowe, and institute
at Fairfax, and was graduated in medicine from the medical department of
the University of Vermont in 1870. He has practiced in Burlington eleven
Dr. A. J. WILLARD was born in Harvard, Mass., on the 19th of March,
1832. From 1853 to 1857 he studied theology at the Yale and Andover Seminaries,
and from 1857 to 1865 preached at Upton, Mass. He then removed to Burlington
and preached at Essex Center and Essex junction until 1870. He studied
medicine at the University of Vermont and received the degree of M. D.
in 1879. He has practiced medicine in Burlington since that time. He has
been for some years chiefly occupied as superintendent of the Mary Fletcher
Dr. H. E. COLVIN was born in Essex county, N. Y., on the 20th of
March, 1854, and was educated at Keeseville, in that county. He was graduated
from the Chicago Homeopathic College March 30, 1880, having also studied
with E. H. PRATT, A. M., M. D., professor of anatomy in that college, from
1877 to 1880. He began his practice in Burlington in November, 1880.
Dr. Jo H. LINSLEY, born at Windsor, Vt., on the 29th of May, 1859,
and educated at the Burlington High School, was graduated from the medical
department of the University of Vermont in June, 1880, his preceptor being
Dr. A. P. GRINNELL. He first practiced in Burlington in 1881.
Dr. John B. WHEELER was born at Stowe, Vt., in 1853. He was graduated
from the University of Vermont in 1875, and in medicine at Harvard in 1879.
He began practice in Burlington in 1881.
Dr. J. C. RUTHERFORD was born in Derby, Vt., on the 29th of January,
1857, received a high-school education and was graduated in medicine from
the proper department of the University of Vermont in June, 1882. He immediately
began to practice in this city. He acted as demonstrator of anatomy in
the medical department one year, was appointed city physician in 1884 and
again in 1885, was the first commander of Vermont Division, Sons of Veterans,
was commissioned, June 30, 1884, assistant surgeon First Regiment National
Guards. He was elected school commissioner from the fourth ward in 1885,
and chosen captain of the Ethan ALLEN Engine Company in January, 1886.
Dr. D. CARRIERES was born at St. Scholastique, P. Q., in 1856, educated
at St. Therese College, P. Q., and was graduated in medicine from the University
of Quebec in 1880. He established his practice in Burlington in 1882.
Dr. John M. CLARKE was born at Concord, Vt., in September, 1847,
and received his education in Massachusetts and Vermont, taking a regular
course of study in the University of Vermont. He studied medicine with
Dr. D. W HAZELTON, of Vermont, and began to practice in 1873. For nine
years he was assistant physician at the Vermont State Asylum, and in October,
1882, opened the Lake View Retreat at Burlington as a private institution
for the treatment of nervous and mental disease, and has continued it successfully
Dr. H. C. TINKHAM was born in Brownington, Orleans county, Vt.,
on the 7th of December, 1856, and received an academical education at Derby.
He received the degree of M. D. from the medical department of the University
of Vermont in June, 1883, his preceptor being Dr. Albert RICHMOND, of Rochester,
Vt. He opened an office in Burlington in August, 1883.
Dr. L. HAZEN, born at Bridgton, Me., September, 1856, received his
general education at the Hebron (Me.) Academy, and his medical education
at the University of Vermont, from which he was graduated in 1883. He commenced
practice here in the fall of that year.
Dr. William B. GIBSON was born at Clarenceville, P. Q., on the 9th
of August, 1856, was graduated from the University of Vermont in 1876,
and from McGill University of Montreal in 1878. He opened an office in
this city in 1885.
Dr. Charles A. A. BISSONNETTE was born at St. Johns, P. Q., in 1853,
was educated at St. Marie De Monnoir, P. Q., and admitted to practice on
the 25th of June, 1885, his preceptor being Dr. LAKOCQUE, of St. Johns.
He began practicing in Burlington in August, 1885.
Dr. D. C. HAWLEY was born on the 31st of October, 1855, at FLETCHER,
Vt., and was educated at the New Hampton Institute at Fairfax, and Barre
Academy at Barre, Vt. He also took an academical degree from the University
of Vermont, in the class of 1878, and the degree of M. D. from the medical
department thereof in 1884. He studied medicine with Dr. C. F. HAWLEY,
of Fairfax, Vt., and Dr. L. M. BINGHAM, of Burlington. His practice in
Burlington began January 1, 1885.
Mrs. M. A. CAMPBELL, corner of Union and Main streets, is a pioneer
in the curative use of magnetism, manipulation, electricity, dietetics,
out-of-door exercise, and all natural means of restoring and promoting
health. She has practiced in Burlington for three years and a little more.
Her theory is based on the conviction that all drug-produced action, or
suspension of action, is a direct interference with organic law, to be
expiated by suffering and often death.