XX indexVermont  





Hardwick lies the northwestern corner of the county, in latitude 44º  31' and longitude 4º 39', bounded north by Greensboro, in Orleans county, east by Walden, south by Woodbury, in Washington county, and west by Wolcott, in Lamoille county. It was originally granted November7,1780, and chartered August 19, 1781, to Danforth Keyes and his associates, and contains about 23,040 acres, or an area six miles square. 

       The surface of the town lies in gentle swells, with a general southerly slope. It has a rich, fertile soil, and is heavily timbered, mostly with hard wood, among which is a large quantity of sugar maple. Most of the inhabitants are engaged in farming, though several enterprising firms carry on the lumber business. The town is well watered, the principal stream being the Lamoille river, which enters the township from Greensboro, and taking a circuitous course passes through it in a westerly direction into Wolcott. This and several of its tributaries furnish a number of excellent mill privileges. 

       In 1880, Hardwick had a population of 1,484 souls.  In 1886 the town had eleven school districts and eleven schools, employing three male and twenty female teachers, at an average weekly salary, including board, of $7.13 for the males and $4.85 for the females. There were 399 scholars, eighteen of whom attended the private schools.   The entire income for school purposes was $2,376.18, while the whole expenditures were $2161.93, with W.I. Leonard, superintendent. 

       Hazen Road, commonly called “The Street,” is the oldest village in the town. It is situated on high land near the north line of the town. The first settlement was made here in 1793. It was formerly a place of activity and considerable local business importance. 

       East Hardwick, a  Post village and railroad station, is situated on the Lamoille river, about three miles from the north and one mile from the cast line of the town. Samuel Stevens made the first settlement and built the first mills here, about 1797.  It now contains two churches, Congregational and Baptist, two general stores, jewelry store, tinshop, and the following manufactures: Livingston & Montgomery, carriages, Keith & Lawrence, lumber; G. L. Johnson, grist-mill; G.D. Goodrich, bee keepers supplies. 

       Hardwick, a post office and railroad station, is located on the Lamoille river about two miles from the south line of the township. The first settler in the neighborhood was Captain John Bridgman, about a mile north of the present village, in 1797. The first saw-mill and grist-mill were built here by Willard Bugbee, who also put in a carding machine. Mark Goss bought and rebuilt the grist-mill about 1828. A woolen mill was for many years operated here, Azro Crane, Erastus Nichols, Ira Atkins and Samuel K. Remick having owned it at different times, and while owned by the latter it was burned, about 1850. David Tuttle built a tannery here and with his son Samuel carried on the business many years. It was last operated by D.W.Aiken in 1883. Amasa Wells carried on a pottery at this village several years. The first merchant at Hardwick village was Dorman Bridgman, about 1825, and he was also the first postmaster. He had as partner a Mr. Kellogg. The latter died, and in 1832,Daniel W. Aiken became a partner with Mr. Bridgman, and since that time has been in trade here. 

       Some of the other merchants who have been in trade at different periods were Dodge & Hutchins, Pennock & Dodge, Downer & Sanborn, A.E.Jeudevine with various partners, Adolphus Holton, ______Baker and others, H.A. Shedd and Mr. Clement. The present manufacturers are H.R. Mack and S.P. Wheeler, granite; R.G. Swerdfeger, miller; M.E. Tucker, Wheeler & Shipman, and Cate & Bunker, lumber; and L.H. & W.H. Ward, machine shop.  Hardwick academy is located here. There are two churches (Methodist and Adventist) in the place, and two hotels, the Centennial House, a tastily arranged, modern structure, built by J. Drennan in 1876, now conducted by the owner, Mr. I.F. Batchelder, and the Maple Park House, kept by Mr. A.R. Pike. 

       Mackville is a hamlet about one mile south of Hardwick village. It was commenced about 1831, by George P. Fish, who built a saw-mill here. Elisha Mack built the first dwelling-house in 1834, but before he was ready to move with his family to their new home he died. His eldest son, Resolved Mack, with his widowed mother, brothers and sisters, soon occupied their new house. Resolved Mack married, in 1838, Miss Mary Bancroft, and retained this homestead until his death in February 1861. He was kind and companionable in his family, a worthy citizen, and an efficient member of the Methodist church. By virtue of their having made the first settlement this place is named for this family. A corn-mill, woolen factory, and Free Baptist church have existed here, but are now things of the past, the woolen factory and church having been destroyed by fire several years ago. The present manufactures are D.Bridgman,Jr., lumber; Willie Mack, granite polishing mill, has two sets of machinery, is operated by water-power, and does custom work. 

       The granite industry, though yet in its infancy, bids fair to become the most important business of the town. The country for five miles south of Hardwick village has ever been noted for extensive granite ledges; but until the completion of the P.& 0. R.R. it was not quarried for manufacturing purposes. About that time quarrying was begun and the volume of business has had a steady increase. Five or six quarries are now worked, employing a large number of men, and adding materially to the wealth and importance of the place.  The construction of the contemplated line of railroad from Hardwick to Marshfield, passing near all these quarries, will give new impetus to the growth of this important industry. Much of the stone is now freighted in the rough to St. Johnsbury to be cut; but with the promised transportation facilities the shops will naturally be established at this point, thus saving greatly in freights, as the finished work finds its market chiefly in the west. Already a polishing-mill has been established at Mackville, where a good water-power is found, and several shops for working the stone have been put in operation, the principal ones being those of H.R. Mack and S.P. Wheeler. The great variety of stone produced by the several quarries enables those engaged in its manufacture, to select without difficulty material suitable for any demand of the business. Among those quarries located in Hardwick, or whose product is handled from this station, and contributes to the business of the place, are the following :

       The Porter quarry, opened by Alonzo Porter in 1872, now owned and operated by R.F.Carter, of the South Ryegate Granite Works. Quality of stone hard, fine grain, light color; distance from railroad two miles. 

       The Ainsworth quarry, opened by J. Ainsworth about 1876, now operated by the St. Johnsbury Granite Company, quality easily worked, evenly mixed takes a good polish ; distance from railroad two and a half miles. 

       The Woodbury quarry, opened by H.W.Town and W.L.Voodry some years ago. This quarry is so extensive that a single stone three hundred feet in length can be quarried here. Quality easily worked, light color; distance from railroad five miles. Owned by Town & Voodry. 

       The H.R. Mack quarry, opened by H.R. Mack in 1886, quality very dark, susceptible of a high polish, well adapted to monumental uses; distance from railroad one and a half miles. Owned and operated by R.R. Mack. 

       Carrick Bros.' quarry, (leased) is located near the Ainsworth quarry, quality medium grain, light color; is operated by Carrick Bros., of St. Johnsbury. 

       H.E. Mack's marble and granite works.  In the fall of 1868, H. R. Mack  commenced working marble in this town, and has carried on the business continuously since that time, employing the best workmen and producing a quality of work which has given him a wide and favorable reputation. Since the quarries were opened in this place he has added the manufacture of granite curbing posts and monuments, in which he is prepared to meet the demands of the business. 

       Samuel P. Wheeler first started the granite business in Hardwick in 1870, locating at the crossing of Maple street and the railroad. He manufactures all kinds of monumental work and building granite, His material is procured from a quarry near the line of Hardwick and Woodbury. Six men are employed and his annual product will average $5,000.00. 

       George L. Johnson has. a mill at East Hardwick, on the Lamoille river, for the manufacture of flour and feed.   It has three runs of stones.   A mill was established here, the first in the town of Hardwick, previous to 1800. The mill grinds 30,000 bushels of grain annually. 

       Herman G. Swerdfeger, on road 63, has a grist-mill run by water-power from Lamoille river. A mill was located here about sixty years ago, by Willard Bugbee. It contains three runs of stones, and is capable of grinding 300 bushels of grain daily. 

       Dorman Bridgman, Jr.'s, saw-mill, for the manufacture of spruce, hemlock and hardwood lumber which is sawed, dressed and fitted for market, was established by Dorman Bridgman, in 1830. It is located at Mackville, on Nichols brook, the outlet of Nichols pond, which furnishes water-power the year through. He employs an average of eight men. The annual production is about 600,000 feet. 

       Melvin E. Tucker has a large lumber dressing mill situated near the railroad station at Hardwick. He has a steam engine of fifty horse-power. He also has a saw-mill on road 25, where is manufactured 300,000 feet of lumber annually. 

       Mrs. L.H. & W.H. Ward, at Hardwick village, manufacture J. Ward’s vegetable kidney compound and liver and dyspepsia pills. These remedies were originated by Jonathan Ward, in 1864, and since his death, in 1874, have been made and sold by his widow and their son William H. 

       Keith &, Lawrence are proprietors of a large saw-mill at East Hardwick. It is run by water-power from Lamoille river. They also have a shingle mill. They manufacture 200,000 feet of lumber yearly, and 150,000 shingles. 

       Wheeler & Shipman, lumber manufacturers. This firm succeeds the firm of Wheeler & Boardman, which was established about 1866, by buying out Orrin B. Hall. Mr. Wheeler had previously manufactured sash and doors and carriages. Wheeler &, Boardman carried on business about fourteen years, when, on account of failing health, Mr. Boardman leased his interest to Mr. Shipman, who purchased it after a year. They now employ an average of seven men the year through. They manufacture from 200,000 to 300,000 feet of lumber per annum, dressing, beading and matching it ready for the market, taking their lumber standing in the forest. The machinery is operated by water-power from Lamoille river. 

       J.D. Goodrich, apiarist and manufacturer and dealer in beekeepers supplies, began to manufacture the hives then in use, about twenty years ago, and has continued in the business, adding improvements as they have appeared. He now makes 50,000 to 100,000 sections, and uses about 2,000 pounds of wax in the manufacture of comb foundation, per annum, besides building hives. 

       Livingston & Montgomery's carriage manufactory was established by J.B. Livingston in 1861, at the north end of East Hardwick village, built by J. Ward, the first carriage factory in the place. In 1873, he purchased the present shop of J.T. Williams, who bought of Orra Crosby, who had built it for a woolen factory, and operated it for several years. At the time the shop was purchased Mr.Livingston formed a partnership with C.C.Montgomery, sash and blind manufacturer.  They now manufacture carriages, farm wagons, sleighs and sleds, preparing their own stock, making from thirty to fifty sleighs per annum, make carriages and wagons to order, do custom painting and planing, and deal in coffins and caskets. They make a specialty of building the Keene sleigh. 

       The first settler in the town, beyond all question, was Mark Norris. The following extract from the memorandum found among his papers in the hands of his executor, shows his indomitable courage and perseverance: 

  I went from Dewey's Gore, so-called [now a part of the towns of Peachham and Danville], and made a pitch in Hardwick on the 16th day of May, in the year 1788, which was the first pitch that ever was made in the town, and immediately went down to Dewey's Gore and brought up a bushel of potatoes, planted likewise, cut down five acres of trees, and the next winter after I lost my potatoes by the frost, and then the next spring went down to Dewey's Gore and brought two or three bushels more and brought them up on my back, for it was such bad walking that it was next kind to impossible getting through with a horse.  Likewise I had to bring all my provisions from Dewey's Gore, which is sixteen miles, that it made it very bad.  Governor Robinson promised that he would do as well by me as any other proprietor had done by settlers, and I expected that the Governor would have built a mill immediately after I went there to work, which if I had known that there would not have been no mills there, I would not have settled in Hardwick upon any consideration. The third year I raised as much as eighty bushels of wheat and other grain, but it was so far from any mill that it was worth but little to me.”

       Mr. Norris married on the 8th of August, 1791, and moved with his wife to Hardwick, March 13, 1792, being five days on the journey from Epping, N.H.  Previous to this, and just subsequent to the time the town was chartered, Peter Page and a man by the name of Safford came in and began a clearing near the center of the town. They remained only a short time though, when they became discouraged and left. Mr. Norris was a man possessed of energy, intelligence and good judgment. Though a mason by trade, he was capable or turning his attention to various kinds of work. He was afterwards much engaged in the public business of the town, was at different times representative and treasurer, and a preacher of the gospel.

       Toward the close of March, Nathaniel Norris, a cousin of Mark, moved with his wife into the town. He also was a mason, a good workman, but very moderate in all his movements. It is said he was never seen to run, and yet he felled his acre of trees daily for successive days. About the same time, March 1792, Peter Page—the same who had a few years before left Hardwick, discouraged—took heart and returned. He built himself a rude log shanty, about three-quarters of a mile southeast of the present village of East Hardwick, and then went to bring his family. His shanty was full half a mile from the Hazen road, and the snow was deep; however, when he had moved his family and goods as near as he could by the road, he put on his snow-shoes, and placing his wife and three children (the youngest of whom was brought in a bread-trough) on a hand sled, drew them to their new home, and then returned for his goods. They lived a year in their rude hovel without floor or chimney, building their fire at one side, and leaving a hole in the roof for the smoke to escape. Mr. Page's wardrobe, during that winter, is said to have consisted of one pair of tow pantaloons, one tow frock, two shirts, woolen socks, and a woolen vest. He brought all the provisions for himself and family on his back, either from Peacham, twenty miles distant, or from Cabot, eight miles. This family afterwards suffered much from poverty. Their only cow strayed; when Mr. Page found her, ten miles from home, she had been away so long she gave no milk. The man who had kept her a while demanded pay, and his only woolen garment, the vest, was all he could give to redeem the cow. Water gruel was substituted for milk, and was sometimes their only sustenance. The father and mother took this cheerfully themselves, but the substitution of water gruel for milk, for their little babe caused them sore grief. Mr. Page was an eccentric man, and yet he was considered a christian; loved to study his Bible, and what few religious books he had, and was a man of much meditation and prayer. He died in December, 1852, aged eighty-three years. 

       The following year, 1793, three more families were added to the settlement — those of Timothy Hastings and James Sinclair, who, with an aged father, came in February, and that of David Norris, a cousin of Mark Norris, in June. Old Mr. Sinclair, who emigrated from Scotland, settled in New Market, N.H., fought in the battle of Bunker Hill, and afterwards came, with his son, to Hardwick, and died shortly after his arrival. A log was dug out for his coffin, and a slab, split from another log, was nailed or pinned on for the cover. He was buried near a spring of water not far from the Hazen road, but his remains were afterwards exhumed and deposited in the Hazen road cemetery. Mr. Hastings soon after moved to Hyde Park. The remaining settlers had a serious time of it. They were living at a distance of from one to three miles from each other, finding their way by means of blazed trees. In the spring of 1793 these cousins supplied themselves with provisions sufficient, as they supposed, to last them through their spring's work, when they were expecting to return to Peacham for a while. They had no team or even a hoe to work with; but with their axes they hewed out wooden hoe-blades from maple chips, hardened them in the fire, and took saplings for handles. With these they hoed in, on Nathaniel's ground, two acres of wheat but Saturday night came, when they had sowed only one acre, and they found they had only provisions enough to last them one day longer. What should they do? Neither of them were professors of religion, but they had been trained to keep the Sabbath day. However, they now held a council, concluded that it was a  “work of necessity," and hoed in the second and last acre on the Sabbath. "We shall see," said Mark and David, "Whether this acre will not yield as well as the other." But Nathaniel was troubled in conscience. Reaping time came; the proceeds of the two acres were stacked separately, and the time for comparing drew near. But the comparison was never made. The stack which came of the Sabbath day's work took fire from a clearing near by, and every straw and kernel was burned. These cousins were usually in the habit of religiously observing the Sabbath day. On the first Sabbath after they came into town they held a religious meeting, and ever afterwards this practice was kept up. 

       During the year 1794 there were added the families of Daniel Chase, Elijah True, Stephen Adams, Gideon Sabin, James Bundy, Israel Sanborne and Elisha Sabin. Mr. Chase was a deacon in the Baptist church. He was afterwards ordained an elder of the Freewill Baptist church, in 1810. He moved, in 1816, to Pennsylvania, where he continued to preach until his death. Mrs. Gideon Sabin has rendered herself illustrious by giving birth to twenty-six children; and surely Gideon himself deserves to be remembered if he found food, as we presume he did, for such a family, poor as he was. Mr. Sanborne was a kind and public-spirited man, and was blessed with a family of fourteen children, the third of whom, William Sanborne, now lives in Hardwick. Elisha Sabin was a hunter, led a wild life, and allowed his children to go barefooted through the winter. 

       On the 31st of March, 1795, the town was organized. The first town meeting was held at the house of Mark Norris. Paul Spooner was chosen the first town clerk, and also the first representative. 

       In the fall of 1795, Elder Amos Tuttle, the first minister of the town, moved in. His son, Capt. David Tuttle, said, “there was not a cart in town; but in the following spring two carts were constructed out of my father's wagon. My father and I took $44.00 of my mother's savings—money which came safely to Hardwick, sewed up in a bed—and went to Ryegate to purchase a cow; but when we got her home she proved almost worthless. My father killed her for beef, and my mother learned to make bean-porridge, so we had plenty of that instead of milk."

       Between the time of Elder Tuttle's settlement as pastor of the church, and the year 1800, many families moved into Hardwick. Among them were several of Puritan descent, whose influence for good is, no doubt, felt to this day. 

       In 1797, Capt. J. C.  Bridgman made the first settlement at South Hardwick. In 1798, Thomas Fuller came to settle in Hardwick, with his wife and children. For six months, with a family of eleven, he occupied a log house twenty-four feet square, with Mr. William Cheever, whose family also numbered eleven. There was a stone fire-place in the center of the house, and a hollow log for a chimney. 

       Samuel Stevens, son of Capt. Simeon, an officer in the Revolution, was a native of Newbury, and came to Hardwick in 1798. He built a log house and married Puah Mellen, of Holliston, Mass., the same year. They were the first settlers of the village of East Hardwick, formerly called Stevens Village. He built the first mills in town—a saw-mill in 1798, and a grist-mill in 1800. He was town treasurer twenty-one years. His son Simeon graduated from the University of Vermont, and married Miss M. A. Young, daughter of Hon. Augustus Young. 

       Samuel French was born in Hoosick, Mass., and came to this town about 1800. He married Tabitha Dow, sister of Lorenzo Dow, and died in 1848, aged sixty-nine years. 

       Col. Alpha Warner was born in Hardwick, Mass., in December 1770, and came to this town in 1796. He married Lydia Cobb, of his native town soon after he came here. He opened a house of entertainment on the Hazen road, and presided in the capacity of host for nearly sixty years. His first wife died in 1816, and he married for his second wife Mrs. Anna Burton. He went west in 1853, and died at Chillicothe, O, in January, 1854, in the eighty-fourth year of his age. 

       Timothy G. Bronson was born in this town in 1804, his father, Elisha Bronson, having been one of the first settlers of the town, who had come originally from Connecticut, and died in 1858. Timothy G. Bronson was a farmer on a large scale. He had built all the bridges across the Lamoille river standing at the time of his death. He also built two of the churches in town, and several dwelling-houses. In the early days of the settlement of the town, his father carried a bushel of rye for sowing, upon his shoulder, from Peacham, sixteen miles, there being no roads, and his only guide blazed trees. He married, in 1823, Mahala Doe, of Rumney, N.H. They had one son, William D., who now occupies the old homestead on road 13. He is a large farmer and breeder of Jersey cattle. He has also held many offices in town, and is at present a justice of the peace. He also practices civil engineering and surveying to some extent. He married Anna D., daughter of Jesse and Dorothy (Phillips) Mason, of Grafton, N.H.  They have one son, Timothy G., who is a farmer in Hamlin county, Dakota, and two daughters, May A. and  Jessie L. 

       John Bridgman during the spring of 1795, was on his way to the lake towns, and lost his way while passing through Hardwick. He finally found the house of Gideon Sabin, who prevailed on him to stop and look over the land, and settle here. He found some land which had been partly cleared by Daniel Warner, and purchased over 300 acres. John Bridgman, son of John, was born in 1807, and when seven years of age was called upon to turn the grindstone to grind his father's bayonet, as he was preparing to go to Plattsburg to engage in the battle. He graduated from Dartmouth college in 1830, studied law, was admitted to the bar in 1833, and established an office at Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1834. He married Ann W. Vincent, September 3, 1835, and has four children, viz.: Anna B. Newton, John V., Henry A. and Victor H. The latter, 1st lieutenant of the U. S. Art., is a graduate of West Point. 

       Asahel and Levi Goodrich, brothers came to this town, from Westminster, about 1798, locating near the center, Asahel on the farm where his daughters, Lucinda and Almira, still live, and Levi three miles north, where B. Chaffee now lives. Asahel was the father of eleven children, six sons and five daughters. Simeon married Abigal Sanborn, and had born to him one son and one daughter, Justus D. and Augusta A., widow of Hiram M. Conant. 

       Enoch Badger, son of Jonathan, who was a Revolutionary soldier, was born in Connecticut, married Myra Billings, of Hartland, where he lived many years, and came to Hardwick about 1803. He bought a lot of wild land, and made a clearing where G. S. Wheatley now lives. He moved to Danville about 1814, where he spent the remainder of his life, and two of his sons, Ancass and Charles, now reside there. His eldest son, Enoch, married Sally B. Blodgett, and has had born to him nine children, of whom six are living. Mr. Badger, who is now eighty years of age, resides in town. His oldest son, Zenas A. served in the late war, in Co. B, 15th Vt. Vols., and died at Fairfax Court House, January 9, 1863. 

       Joseph Thomas came to Hardwick, from Bennington, Vt., in 1804, and made the first settlement in the Lamoille valley, between the mouth of Alder brook and the Wolcott line. He first built a log house on the river bank, but was driven back by the freshets, to the high land. He died at the advanced age of ninety-two years. His son Billings was born in 1792, spent most of his life upon the same farm, and built the two houses now standing there. He married Temperance Lucas, and was the father of two sons and two daughters, viz.: Joseph W., Andrew J., Cordelia E. and Mary B., wife of Orrin B. Hall. 

       Butler Shipman, Sr., came to this town about 1806, settled on the farm where Schuyler Wells now lives, and carried on farming and shoemaking. He married Harriet Wilson, and his children were: Mary A., Lucia A., Charles, Fanny, Cynthia S. (Mrs. Albert Cross), Harriet (Mrs. Jonathan Foster) and Butler. Mr. Shipman died in 1823, aged forty-four years. His son Butler has spent his life in Hardwick, and is engaged in the lumber business. He has served as selectman nine years, and collector nine years, and has held various other offices. He married Dolly O. Belding, and has one son, George B., of the firm of Wheeler & Shipman, and who is leader of the Hardwick cornet band. 

       Asahel Hall came to Hardwick, from Keene, N.H., about 1808, bought land, and built a log house where Drury E. Goodrich now lives, on road 22, corner 23. He reared five sons and three daughters, and died about 1860, aged seventy-two years. Two of his sons, Asahel and Orrin B., served in the late war, and the former lived on the farm his father cleared until 1874. 

       Jonathan Ward was born in Sanbornton, N.H., March 29, 1779, married Sally Silver in 1801, and moved to Greensboro, Vt., where he built a log house in the forest, four miles north of the village. In 1809 he bought the farm where his son Samuel W. now lives, and where be spent the remainder of his life. He was the father of twelve children, of whom four sons are living, namely, Daniel in Palmyra, N.Y., Samuel W. on the homestead, Chase at Hardwick Street, and Dr. Amassa M. at Hardwick village. Mr. Ward died in June, 1836. Five of his grandchildren served in the late war, two of whom died in service. His daughter Mercy married Thomas Page, and moved to Sheffield. 

       Aaron Bell came here from Washington, Vt., and was an early settler on West hill, where Albert Goodrich now lives, locating there about 1816. He died in April, 1876, aged over eighty years. His son John W. was born here in 1822, married Marietta, daughter of James M. Currier, and has one son. 

       Hon. Daniel Warner Aiken.—Among the residents of Hardwick for many years, identified with its mercantile, political and social relations, must be especially mentioned, Daniel Warner Aiken, the oldest merchant, and now (1886) the oldest male inhabitant of the town. His birthplace was Dracut, Massachusetts; he was born March 23, 1799; his parents were Solomon and Polly (Warner) Aiken; his paternal ascendants were of Scotch origin. Two brothers, David and John, with their sister Mercy, having immigrated to this country from Scotland, were of the early settlers of Hardwick, Mass.  Mercy married a Page, and died in 1820, at the age of one hundred and two years. John Aiken married (probably) an Atwood, and had four sons, of whom Solomon was born in July, 1758, and in 1776, while yet a mere lad, enlisted to serve his country in her noble struggle for liberty. He afterwards prepared for college, and was graduated from Dartmouth in 1784, and became a Congregationalist clergyman. He was settled in Dracut, Mass., in 1788, and his pastorate there continued until 1818, a period of thirty years, when he removed to Hardwick, Vt. From this time he relinquished regular preaching, but occasionally filled the pulpit to the satisfaction of his hearers. While in Dracut he was the representative to the general court from 1809 to 1816, inclusive. He married Polly, daughter of Daniel Warner, a native of Hardwick, Mass. Their children who attained maturity were: (1) Sophia (Mrs. Joel Spaulding); (2) Solomon; (3) Justus W.; (4) Alma; (5) Daniel Warner; (6) Mary Wright (Mrs. Elizabeth Kellogg); (7) Samuel Adams; (8) Harriet Whipple (Mrs. Russell Bridgman); (9) Selina Atwood (Mrs. George H. Cook). 

       Rev. Solomon Aiken, A. M., was a man of commanding presence; his hair and eyes were black, his complexion clear, and his body well proportioned. His manners were those of the old school, courteous and distinguished, and, even when meeting children, his three-cornered hat was raised with all the grace of a Chesterfield. He was strong mentally and physically, bold and fearless in announcing his opinions, and, a pronounced Republican, he openly, and from the pulpit, hurled his terse and pointed denunciations at the Federalists. With his great mentality he imbued many with his convictions of right, and his influence was a good and lasting one upon the community. Mrs. Aiken died October 20, 1820, aged fifty-four. His death occurred in this town, June, 1833, when nearly seventy-five years of age. Their remains lie in the Center cemetery of Hardwick. On his monument is this inscription: "In youth, a soldier of the Revolution; in age, a Christian pastor; through life the inflexible friend of civil and religious liberty." 

       D.W. Aiken passed his childhood at home, and, as in those days, the salary of the ministry was very small, the children were early obliged to use their hands at labor to help move the wheels of the household economy. At the age of twenty years he became a teacher, and continued that occupation for twelve years in New England, with good acceptance. In 1832 he came to Hardwick, and engaged in merchandising, and for over half a century his erect form, pleasant countenance, and fine bearing has been one of the familiar sights in the town. He married, September 8, 1839, Lucy Ann, daughter of Captain David and Anna Emerson (Goss) Tuttle, and granddaughter of Rev. Amos Tuttle, the first settled minister of Hardwick.  Mrs. Aiken is an estimable and intelligent lady. Their children attaining maturity were Inez Rowena (Mrs. Ira R. Kent), born March 23, 1832, died June 8, 1874; Daniel W., Jr., a merchant, now residing in Louisiana, SelinaAtwood (Mrs. Hamilton S. Peck, Burlington, Vt.,), born August 16, 1848; Samuel Adams, farmer; Edward, a merchant in Hardwick. 

       Mr. Aiken, as merchant and citizen, has been a prominent factor in the town for nearly sixty years.  His sound judgment, practical wisdom and general intelligence fitted him for any position in the community.   He has enjoyed the confidence and esteem of his townsmen in an unusual degree, and has been placed by them in all responsible positions of office and trust within their gift, and always unsolicited by him. In 1837 he was made lister, and performed the duties for fifteen consecutive years; served as town clerk and treasurer from twelve to fifteen years; selectman and postmaster for some time; justice of the peace and notary public for many years; he has held all town offices with the exception of that of overseer of the poor, and has transacted more town business than any other man who ever resided in Hardwick. His politics have been in consonance with the government in all of its wars and controversies. Always an anti-slavery man, he has been a staunch Republican since the organization of that party.   He represented this town in the legislature seven years, and Caledonia county two years as state senator, and has served as associate judge of the county court.  March 7, 1885, the fine residence which had been his home since, 1839, with his large mercantile establishment, comprising buildings with a frontage of nearly two hundred feet, were entirely destroyed by fire. To lose the cherished home of fifty years, with all its tender memories and associations, was a great misfortune; but Mr. Aiken, with the vigor of a young man, immediately purchased a dwelling house, and leased a store, and out of the wreckage constructed a home, which, if not the old and cherished one, yet under the skillful arrangement and care of Mrs. Aiken, presents an attractive appearance, both external and internally.  His merchandising had but a brief interruption, and Mr. Aiken, in company with his son Edward, still continues in active business under the firm name of D. W. Aiken & Son. 

       Mr. Aiken, in his religious preference, is a Unitarian, but is not a member of any church organization. He believes that "morality is the great hinge of life and respectability." He is a man of strict integrity, marked generosity and liberality of character. As a businessman, successful, as a citizen respected and beloved, and as one who has done much to further and promote the improvement and prosperity of the town, he stands among the representative men. His manners are plain and unostentatious; he is cheerful, with all the brightness and vivacity of the prime of life, and his conversation is an unusual flow of pure and almost classic English. All in all, he is a worthy descendant of the good old clergy-man of Dracut, and has the satisfaction of having children who inherit many of the estimable qualities of their several grandparents. 

       Lewis H. Delano came to Hardwick, from New Braintree, Mass., about 1817, and engaged in farming for a few years, then as a clerk in the store of Elnathan Strong, at Hardwick Street, and afterwards became a partner with Mr. Strong.   They carried on an extensive general mercantile business for many years. Hardwick Street at that time being, perhaps, the liveliest business place in Vermont north of Wells River. He married Maria, daughter of Col. Alpha Warner, who came here from Hardwick, Mass., about 1790. He kept the first tavern in town, in a log house on the ground now occupied by Joseph R. Delano and afterwards in the same house now occupied by him, which was built as early as 1795, and is the first house built now standing in town. Lewis H. Delano died in 1866., after a successful business life. Joseph R. Delano has in his possession the original sign of the old tavern mentioned. It is in the form of a shield, on pivots, enclosed in a fancy frame, and bears date 1799, with the name of Alpha Warner. Later was added "Stage House." Joseph R. Delano married Jane E. Vincent, of Walden. He is a large farmer and dairyman. In 1885 he built one of the best barns in Caledonia county. He is interested in a lumber business at Greensboro Bend. 

       Capt. Mark Nelson, from New Hampshire, removed to Montpelier, Vt., nearly a century ago.  His son Joses Nelson came to Hardwick in 1820, and worked for Samuel French, getting out timber for the "French Meeting House." Rev. J. Monroe Nelson was born in Hardwick, February 20, 1822, experienced religion in 1854, was licensed to preach in 1856, by the Wheelock quarterly meeting, ordained in 1861, at Franklin, by the Enosburgh quarterly meeting, became pastor of the Wolcott and Hardwick Freewill Baptist church in 1863, and has continued the pastorate until the present time. 

       Enoch Smith, a native of Chatham, Conn., was born February 14, 1798. When one year old his parents removed to Berlin. When sixteen years old he learned the trade of harness maker. In 1819 he settled in this town, on road 12, Hardwick Street, on the old Hazen road. He married Sally Adams, of this town, and had two daughters and one son. After many years he engaged in farming, always living on the same farm, and dying in May, 1875. 

       John S. Smith came to this town, from Randolph, in 1831, soon after his marriage. He was a blacksmith by trade, carried on that business about eight years, then bought the farm now owned by his widow, and soon after built the brick house upon it. He was one of the selectmen for many years, and in the war period was chairman of the board, and attended to the raising of recruits for the army. He lived to be seventy-nine years of age, and died May 5, 1886. He married Sophronia M., daughter of Walter Perrin, and had born to him two sons, John Morris, who died at the age of twenty-two years, and Walter P. The latter, now judge of probate for Caledonia county, studied law in the office of Powers & Gleed, at Morrisville, and one year at Michigan University law school, and was admitted to the Lamoille county bar in June, 1869. Most of his practice has been in Caledonia county, and he has served as judge of probate for Caledonia county since 1882. 

       John Porter, born in Newcastle, N.H., in April, 1808, married Marinda Palmer, September 7, 1831, and came to East Hardwick in February, 1832. He was a shoemaker and saddler, built a tannery here, and for many years did a large business. His wife died May 22, 1875, and his death occurred January 12, 1886. Twelve children were born to them, of whom three daughters are now living, viz.: Sarah E. (Mrs. Charles E. Campbell), of Newcastle, N.H., Madeline M. (Mrs. Amory Jewett, Jr.,), of Somerville, Mass., and Louisa M. (Mrs. B. B. Prentice), of East Hardwick. 

       Harvey Montgomery, son of Capt. William, was born in Walden in 1805, where he spent his early life. Since 1839 he has lived in Hardwick, principally engaged in milling business. He built the hotel at East Hardwick, opened it in 1849, and kept it fourteen years. Dea. J. M. Stevens gave the land and timber in the woods, and the use of the mill to saw it, if he would build and keep a temperance house. Mr. Montgomery was postmaster four years, selectman and justice many years. He married Eliza Stevens, of Walden, has two sons and one daughter, Charles G., John S., and Ann E. (Mrs. J. H. George). 

       Jonathan Foster was born in Tewksbury, Mass., January 1, 1822. His mother died when he was an infant. In January, 1826, he came to Hardwick to live with his cousin Jonathan Foster, a large farmer who lived in the eastern part of the town. After he was of age he learned the carpenter's trade, at which he has worked since that time. He married Harriet W., daughter of Butler Shipman, of this town. They have three daughters and one son living, and have buried three daughters. 

        Henry Blake was born in Greensboro in 1817, where he resided until 1842, when he came to this town, locating on road 23, and has been a farmer in town since that date. He is now located on road 7.  Mr. Blake has a literary turn of mind, and has been engaged for many years as correspondent for various periodicals, and also as statistical correspondent for the agricultural department at Washington. He has held the office of selectman, lister, etc., often. He married Rosanna T. Phillips, of Glover, in 1839, and has two daughters, Mary and Flora, the latter of whom married Nathan Field of this town. His father, Henry Blake, was a prominent resident of Greensboro, whose father was Maj. Henry Blake, who came from Hopkinton, N.H., to Peacham, about 1804, where he died in 1840. 

       Joseph Chubb was born in Charlton, Mass., in 1790, lived in Corinth, and went from that town to serve in the War of 1812, and years afterward received a warrant of government land on account of his services. He came to this town in March, 1846, where he lived until his death in 1870. He resided near the Wolcott line, and was at one time justice of the peace. His widow, Sarah D. Chubb, is now ninety-seven years of age, and is the oldest person in Hardwick. His youngest son, Dennison S. now owns a portion of the original 240 acres which his father purchased. He has been selectman three years, lister and Justice. Edson and Harrison C., sons of Joseph, now live in Edson, Wis. The former was the first settler in that township, locating there about thirty years ago, and the town was named for him. He is extensively engaged in the manufacture of lumber. Harrison C. has lived in the town about twenty years, is engaged in the manufacture of lumber, and custom grist-milling. 

       Hon. Orra Crosby came to Hardwick when twenty-one years of age, and worked in the mills for Samuel Stevens, where he was engaged several years. He married Julia, daughter of his employer. He erected the building which is now occupied by Livingston & Montgomery as a carriage manufactory, and for many years carried on the business of cloth-dressing and wool-carding. He was twice chosen to represent Hardwick in the legislature, and was associate judge of the county. He was the father of two sons, both deceased, and four daughters, namely, Polly, Pure, who married F. J. French, Seraphine (Mrs. Dr. S. L. Wiswell), of Cabot, and Flora. N., who married Dr. A. J. Hyde, now of California. Hon. Orra Crosby died in Cabot. 

       John H. George was born in Topsham, in 1832, where he spent his years until about twenty years of age. He entered Asa Lowe's store as clerk at Bradford, in 1849, where he remained three years. In March, 1852, he came to this town, and clerked for L. H. Delano & Sons two years, at East Hardwick, when he entered into partnership with L. W. Delano, until 1863. Since then he has carried on a general store at East Hardwick, in which business his only son, James H., is now associated. John H. has often been entrusted by his townsmen with the most responsible town offices. For the past two terms he has been elected associate county judge of Caledonia county. He married, in 1856, Ann E. Montgomery, of Hardwick. They have one daughter. 

       Frederick Hovey was born in Hanover, N.H., in 1796, married Harriet Ellis, of Berlin, Vt., and had four sons and two daughters. He was town clerk of Berlin, selectman, town representative, and a member of the congregational church. He came to this town in 1857, and died here in March, 1876, his wife having died six years previous. Two sons and one daughter are living, Jabez W., of this town, who has been justice, selectman and representative, Edward P., a merchant in Kansas, and M. Edna, who resides with her brother in Hardwick. 

       Hon. Alden Edson Jeudevine.— The work that a man does, the business interests he develops, the land he brings into cultivation, the towns and villages he has helped to form, all these continue and exist long after he is gathered to his fathers, and the history and personality of such men should be preserved that future generations may know to whose energy, enterprise and industry, the town is indebted for its progress and prosperity. 

       The name Jeudevine or Judevine indicates French origin but we have no information when, or from what country, the family came to America. William Jeudevine, the first of whom we have knowledge, emigrated from Sterling, Mass., (where his son, Cornelius, was born, Nov. 2, 1776) to "Number Four," (Charlestown) N.H., in 1778. Cornelius Jeudevine attained his manhood and acquired his education in Charlestown, and in 1805, an active, vigorous young man, removed to Concord, Vt., established himself in trade, and became a life-long resident. He married, first, June 11, 1809, Lucy, daughter of Captain Samuel and Susanna (Johnson) Wetherbee.

* Capt. Wetherbee was the sixth child of Capt. Ephraim Wetherbee, an original proprietor of Charlestown, and an early settler greatly respected. Capt. Samuel Wetherbee was an active patriot in the Revolution, several years a member of the General Court, and also county judge. He was, for years, a leading citizen of Concord.   Mrs. Susanna (Johnson) Wetherbee, when but four years old, was captured by the Indians at Charlestown, N.H., August 29, 1754, together with her father, mother, sister and brother. She returned to Charlestown in 1760. (See pub1ished work by her mother, "Captivity of Mrs. Johnson.") Their descendants are numerous in Vermont, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Canada, and stand high in social and public positions. Among them we mention Hon. Frederick Billings, of Woodstock; the late Major Evarts W. Farr, of Littleton, N. H., ex-member of Congress; Hon. A. E. Jeudevine, of Hardwick, and Hon. Harvey Judevine, of West Concord. 
       They had three children, Luthera, who married Adolphus Holton, and died March 27, 1847, aged 37 years; Alden E. and Harvey.  Mrs. Jeudevine died April 29, 1826, and Mr. Jeudevine married, second, May 29, 1827, Eliza Cushman, of Littleton, N.H.  She died April 10, 1878. Mr. Jeudevine was the popular country merchant of Concord for more than thirty years, engaged also extensively in farming and was financially successful. He was broad and liberal in his views, gave his children a good education, was strictly an honest man, "the noblest work of God," and was ever foremost in all laudable purposes, and in supporting religion, education, and temperance. He became a pronounced and active temperance worker long before temperance was popular in the land, and labored earnestly, according to his strong convictions, as a pioneer in this direction, and never a man resided in Concord who paid out more money for the above named purpose than he. Although no office seeker, be was honored by his townsmen, and often, by election to all the offices in their gift which he would accept. He was a member of the constitutional convention of 1814, represented Concord in the legislature in 1815-16, and held the offices of selectman, justice of the peace, and other town offices for many years. He died August 31, 1862. 

       Alden Edson Jeudevine was born in Concord, Vt., August 4, 1811. He inherited his father's qualities of activity and financial ability, and assisted him in his business and remained with him until twenty-eight years of age. He received his education at Concord academy, then in its palmy days, under the management of that celebrated instructor, Rev. S. R. Hall. When twenty-one years old Mr. Jeudevine was appointed deputy sheriff, and held that position until 1839. During this time he was elected high bailiff of Essex county, in which office he served two years, and from peculiar circumstances, rarely occurring, he appointed several deputies. In 1839 he removed to Hardwick and engaged in merchandising with Jonathan Baker, (a cousin from Charlestown, N.H.) under the firm name of "Baker & Jeudevine." With him he continued four or five years. He then formed a partnership with Adolphus Holton as "Holton & Jeudevine," and until 1867 they conducted a large mercantile business, together with farming and cattle dealing. During this time Mr. Jeudevine had extensive interests in other mercantile establishments, and was a member of the firm of "Jeudevine, Nelson & Co.," doing business at Woodbury, from about 1847 to 1853; also of "Jeudevine, Carruth & Co.," in trade at East Charleston from 1853 to about 1859. He was also of the firm of "A. T. Way & Co.," at Hardwick, three years, and twelve years of "Way, Titus & Co.," at Hardwick, and has been engaged to some extent in the manufacture of lumber, and is a mill owner. In 1867 he retired from his long and prosperous career as a merchant, and has since devoted himself exclusively to farming and the care of his real estate, which at the present time amounts to several thousand acres. A pioneer in the free-soil movement, he has ever been an anti-slavery man; an active and successful worker, and prominent in the counsels of the Republican party since its organization, he has been an earnest, faithful and unswerving adherent of its principles, and advocated them fearlessly, fairly and untiringly. His political faith is founded as deep as his nature. He has been repeatedly honored by election to the various town offices, holding that of town clerk eleven years, and selectman ten years. He was postmaster at Hardwick for twenty-three years, receiving his first commission in the administration of President Tyler, and his last under that of President Lincoln. He was chosen assistant judge of the county court in 1850 and 1851, county commissioner in 1854, the first under the law constituting the office, and was a member of constitutional conventions of 1850, 1857 and 1870. He represented Hardwick in the annual sessions of state legislatures of 1853 and 1854, and the biennial ones of 1878 and 1880, serving with credit on important committees. The latter year he was particularly prominent in the legislature in introducing important bills; one, the "valued policy insurance bill," as it was termed, to compel insurance companies to pay on buildings the full amount of insurance, which in the House lacked but one vote of passing. He also introduced and secured the passage of a law relieving towns from the liability of damages on highways, which, with a large majority of the people in the state, has become a popular law, and is known as the "Jeudevine highway law." In 1860 and 1861 he represented Caledonia county in the state Senate and here also did important committee work. 

       Mr. Jeudevine married, April 11, 1858, Malvina M., daughter of Captain David and Anna Emerson (Goss) Tuttle, and granddaughter of Rev. Amos Tuttle, the first settled minister of Hardwick. Their children were Cornelius Alden, born June 26, 1861, died March 29, 1878; Anna Emerson; Edward Harvey, and Harry Edson. The three younger died in infancy. Cornelius Alden to be nearly seventeen. He was a bright, active young man of great promise, and his death was a grievous trial to his parents. Mrs. Jeudevine is a lady of worth, in her manners and bearing showing the marks of a "goodly heritage" from her ancestors. Mr. Jeudevine has succeeded in his undertakings and acquired wealth, and the key to his success lies in his energy, perseverance and indomitable courage. He possesses strong will and resolute purpose, combined with great physical endurance. Cautious and conservative, he does not hastily form his plans or arrive at conclusions; but when his course of action is formed, he is positive and persistent in obtaining a successful issue. Like his father he is a strong temperance man, never using liquor in any form. He has always been a prominent factor in town meetings, and has originated more improvements than any other man who ever lived in Hardwick. The proof of this statement is shown by the great number of resolutions introduced and carried through by him. In many and various ways he has demonstrated himself a useful citizen, wise in counsel, sagacious in plans, original in his conceptions, and a valuable constituent of society, ever throwing the weight of his strong individuality on the side of law and order. The business interests of this town and section are largely indebted to him for their growth and prosperity, and he has taken part in the erection of mills, factories, stores and dwellings to a great extent in this locality. A man of strict integrity, his word is considered as good as his bond, and neither were ever repudiated. As a merchant he was shrewd, industrious, careful and systematic in the details of his business. In his life he illustrates the phases that distinguish the genuine New Englander—energy, frugality, industry and persistency, and enjoys the friendship and esteem of the leading citizens of the county. 

       Cornelius Alden Jeudevine, son of Hon. Alden Edson and Malvina Maria Jeudevine, was born June 26, 1861, in Hardwick, Vt., where he died March 29, 1878, aged sixteen years and nine months. It is eminently fitting that in a memorial volume, a portrait and sketch should be given of this young life which for a brief space gladdened the hearts of his parents, and of whom it could be truly said,— 

“None knew him but to love him,
None mentioned but to praise."

     "Nealy" (as he was always called) was a bright, handsome little boy of five years, when he commenced attending school. He was never absent from a recitation. Attentive, punctual and studious, he made good progress, won the love and esteem of his teachers and associates at once, and was admitted to the academic department when twelve years of age. His advance was especially rapid in the solid branches, and in all matters pertaining to a good business education, which he was anxious to obtain. He did not confine himself to these, but acquired the ornamental as well as the useful. He studied Latin and stood high in his classes, but particularly excelled in book-keeping and penmanship. The autograph accompanying his engraving was written when he was thirteen years and three months old. His diaries, which he had kept for three or four years, are models of completeness, and the writing clear and distinct as copy-plate engraving. Even though so young, his mind was far more matured than that of many men. He greatly assisted his  father by arranging and filing his papers systematically, copying his letters and making himself acquainted with all the contents, and he so familiarized himself with all the details of the extensive and intricate business, that Mr. Jeudevine says, "Nealy was better qualified to administer my estate than any other person." 

       Cornelius Alden Jeudevine was nearly six feet in height, but slender, his growth being very rapid. His hair and eyes were black, his complexion fresh and ruddy, indicating a good state of health, and a promise of a well developed physical as well as mental nature. (The engraving represents him at the age of eleven years, seven months and twenty-one days.) He was exceptionally happy in his friends and associates, and signally so in his home, with kind, loving parents to administer to his wants and means to gratify his wishes. Although he was their only surviving child, yet he was not a spoiled boy. He was upright, faithful, industrious and generous, and could not have been otherwise. Incapable of evil thoughts, he was slow to impute them to any other. He never spoke ill-naturedly of anyone, and disliked to hear others do so.  In Mr. Jeudevine's position, with his strong, positive nature, he naturally had enemies; yet "Nealy" always treated and spoke of them with respect, and laid his head on his pillow at night with a conscience void of offense toward all. There was never anything in his life for his friends to regret, and there was very much to bear in loving remembrance. He was a model youth in all that relates to home life, association with his young companions, and esteem and reverence for those of mature years; one whose life furnishes a good example from which young people of this and coming generations would do well to take pattern. Ever diligent, all the necessary home labor was promptly and neatly done, and then his time was devoted to the acquisition of useful knowledge. He willingly obeyed all rules, and never was absent from home alone after nine o'clock at night. He was just and generous to his schoolmates; never considered one superior to another, and nothing made him more indignant than to see one tyrannizing over a weaker or younger child, and his aid was fearlessly and earnestly given to the one he deemed wronged. He enjoyed play, entered heartily into games, and was one of the leaders in all manly sports, He was interested in the conversation of old people, never interrupting them with rude remarks or attempts at wit, but gaining the wisdom of their experience quietly and with respect. Under all circumstances he seemed to how when and how to do a kind deed, or speak a pleasant word, and the deed was always done and the word spoken. He inherited the clear acumen and strong business qualities of his father, while from his mother came the tenderness, winning manners and whole-souled generosity so characteristic of her family. There was a pleasant smile on his face, a merry twinkle in his eye, and a magnetism which attracted. He shrank from all that is low and debasing; he was never profane; he was strongly pronounced in favor of temperance, signed the pledge and kept it sacredly. From his instincts and associations he was a moral and virtue-loving youth. The wealth of his parents, instead of inducing a spirit of idleness and frivolity, only served to give an added sense of responsibility to his life, a determination to use his advantages wisely, and an anxiety to fit himself to properly execute the financial trusts which would devolve on him. Thus it is not strange that all people of Hardwick, old and young, should observe, become interested in, and finally love with fervency, one who in every act showed such rare qualities. That these expressions are not the language of eulogy, but of simple truth, it is only necessary to quote some of the unsought testimonials received by his grief-stricken parents after his death, the circumstances of which are as follows: March 23, 1878, Saturday, "Nealy," apparently in robust health, went up to the mountain sugar orchard of his father, and, while there, took cold which culminated in a malignant erysipelas. On Wednesday the disease assumed so grave an aspect that the celebrated Dr. S. W. Thayer, of Burlington, was summoned, and came on a special train, but human skill was unavailing, and after terrible suffering he died Friday morning. 

From the Montpelier Watchman and Journal: 

"Death loves a shining mark.” No one could have been selected from this community whose loss would have cast a deeper sorrow and regret than the subject of this sketch so suddenly stricken down in the pride and bloom of early manhood. With social position, nobility of character, and prospects of the highest order for future usefulness, his early death must be regarded as a public loss, aside from the sad affliction suffered by that now desolated home circle, of which these many years he has been a dearly cherished treasure and idol." 

The Hyde Park News and Citizen:

"Everybody loved him and his stricken parents have the sympathy of the whole village." 

The Citizen, Morrisville: 

"Nealy, was loved by all his young associates, and respected by everyone who knew him. The inscription on his casket,  ‘He died without an enemy,’ was very appropriate."

       His absence on Monday from the school-room of the academy, from which he was never absent a day or at a recitation (except his two weeks visit at the Centennial), caused his teacher and esteemed friend, Mr. McLoud, to say, before hearing that he was ill, "Nealy, must be sick or dead." 

       On the sad morning of his death the school-room was a scene of mourning. When the teacher called ‘Nealy’s’ class in reading, both teacher and scholars were so affected that the exercises had to be dispensed with. The students of the academy adopted the following: —

       All who knew him loved him for his many noble traits of character. Noble, generous boy at all times. At school all duties devolving upon him as a pupil were performed cheerfully and willingly—never absent at morning exercises, always present at recitation. A kind friend to all his schoolmates, and a pleasant companion for his elders. We sincerely regret and mourn his premature death. Accordingly, at the assembling of the school, April 1, 1878, the above tribute and following resolutions were adopted: — 

      WHEREAS, it has pleased Almighty God, the Father of us all, in His infinite wisdom: to remove from us our beloved friend and schoolmate, Cornelius A. Jeudevine, therefore, 

       Resolved, That while we bow in humble submission to the will of our Heavenly Father, in this dispensation of His providence, we deeply lament the loss of a companion whose many virtues had endeared him to us all. 

       Resolved, That in our sorrow we extend our most earnest sympathies to the afflicted relatives and friends of our deceased schoolmate, in our common bereavement. 

       Resolved, That these resolutions and attached tribute be printed, and a copy of them be sent to the relatives of the deceased. 

       The following resolutions were passed by the Hardwick Sunday school: 

      WHEREAS, It has pleased Almighty God in His providence to take out of this world from his home, from our Sunday school, our dear young friend and fellow student, Cornelius A. Jeudevine, therefore, 

       Resolved, That we deeply deplore his loss and prayfully sympathize with his sorrowing: and afflicted parents in their grief and sorrowful bereavement. 

          D. LEWIS, Pastor. 
          HENRY R. MACK, Secretary 
          April 21st, 1878.

       Rev. H. T. Jones, the pastor of the Methodist church, who resided in Hardwick three years previous, sent condolence to the broken-hearted parents in these words: 

"I have just heard with deep regret and unfeigned sorrow of your great loss in the death of your son and only child. No loss could exceed this. I observed him all through those years I resided in Hardwick, and admired him for his gentleness, his genial spirit, his love for his companions, and his growing manliness in body and mind. I think no one of the youth was more beloved. It is a sad bereavement to the whole community, and  clouds your future earthly prospect with imperishable gloom." 

       The parents also received letters of condolence from their many friends, deeply sympathizing with them in their bereavement, among which were those of Hon. Jonathan Ross, of St. Johnsbury, and Hon. De Forrest Skinner, of Valparaiso, Ind., of which all were exceedingly kind and sympathetic. 

       A friend of the family, Mrs. S. J. Way, who had known "Nealy" from childhood, on seeing the inscription on his casket, wrote a feeling poem, which has been highly appreciated by Mr. and Mrs. Jeudevine. We give the first stanza. 

                       Died without an enemy, beautiful words!
                         Fit emblem for angels to cherish and hold. 
                         Beautiful words, yet their meaning fails to tell 
                         All the hopes that perished with ‘Nealy,' loved so well." 

  "Better than storied urn or animated bust is such a 

                          garland of tender memories."

       Zenas R. Huntley was born in Bakersfield, Franklin county, in 1829, where he resided with his parents until 1844. They removed to Underhill, Chittenden county, where he lived until 1854, when he went to Eden, Lamoille county, in all these years being engaged in farming. From Eden he removed to Johnson, where he lived until 1867, in which year he came to Hardwick, locating on a farm in the center of the town.  In the fall of 1876, he engaged in a general mercantile business, in the Farmers Exchange, Hardwick village, at which business he is still engaged. He married, in 1849, Luna J., daughter of David Lewis, of Cambridge. They have two children, a son, David, who married Esther E. Miles, a native of Albany, who resides on the homestead in this town; and a daughter, Celia, who married Jerry Currier, of Greensboro Bend.  Mr. Huntley's father had a family of ten children, five sons and five daughters, all of whom are now living, their ages ranging from forty-two to sixty-four years. None of them have ever been sick to employ a physician. 

       John W. Warren, son of Samuel, was born in Morristown, Vt., in 1812, married Phebe G. Russell, and has had eight children. He came to Hardwick in 1869. His oldest son, Russell D., served in the late war, in Co. L, 11th Vt. Vols., and died in Washington, February 12, 1864. Four sons are now living, namely, George, in Cambridge, Vt.; Fayette, in Wolcott; Willie E. in Hardwick, and Wilmer U. on the farm with his father. 

       Philander Bailey married Anna Miner, of Peacham, and reared four sons. The oldest, Abijah was born in Peacham in 1806. In 1816 he was lost in a snow storm, while hunting stray sheep with an old man named Warner, and for two nights and nearly three days they wandered in the woods. All the sons except Abijah went west, accompanied by their father. Abijah married Lydia Hildreth, of Greensboro, and has had born to him eight children, five of whom are living, viz.: Mrs. D. W. Sabin and Mrs. Alphonso Garvin, of Craftsbury, Mrs. Celinda Leland, of Iowa, Charles M., of Hardwick, and Abijah O., of White River Junction. Mr. Bailey lives in Craftsbury. 

       Joel R. Ainsworth, son of Ephraim, was born in Woodbury, came to this town when seventeen years of age, and has lived here most of the time since. He has served the town as lister, and has been justice about sixteen years. He married Tryphena Sulham, whose father, Benaiah, came from Woodstock at an early date. 

       Moses Belding was born in Barnard, Vt., in 1795, and came to Hardwick, in March, 1825. He married for his first wife Polly Bliss, who bore him four children, namely, Sylvester B. and Mrs. J. H. Marston, both of Appleton, Wis., Dolly O. (Mrs. Butler Shipman) and Almira A. (Mrs. Daniel J. Ward), both of whom live in town. The mother of these children died in 1843, and Mr. Belding married for his second wife Calista Hauk, who, bore him two sons, both of whom died in childhood. 

       Ephraim Perrin was an early settler of Stannard, when it was called Goshen Gore. He married, first, Polly Cheever, in 1815, and had born to him two children, Cyrus, who died in the late war, and Polly. He married for his second wife Maria Cutler, in November, 1821, and had born to him nine children, five of whom are living, viz.: Maria (Mrs. John Garfield), of Wheelock, Ephraim, of Morristown, Augusta, of this town, Caroline (Mrs. C. Underwood), also of this town, and Ashbel, in Greensboro. Mr. Perrin lived to seventy-six years of age. 

       Timothy Brown was born in Coventry, December 15, 1777, and in 1805 began a clearing in Greensboro, Vt., where he bought a lot of wild land. He married Esperance Pennock of Vershire, and in the spring of 1806 brought his wife to Greensboro, to occupy the house he had erected. They were married at a Methodist meeting held in a barn in Vershire, March 18, 1805. He was a wheelwright and farmer, and lived to be nearly eighty years of age. He was the father of ten children, five of whom are living. One son, Chester, lives at East Hardwick. He is engaged in the book trade, and for many years has been a local preacher of the Methodist Episcopal church. 

       Lorenzo D. Leavitt was born in Gilminton, N.H., August 16, 1811. When six years of age his parents moved to Wheelock, where he resided most of the time until 1867, when he removed to Walden, and from there to East Hardwick in 1872, where he has since resided. He married Irene Edwards, a native of Walden, and has no children. 

       Luther W. Adgate was born in Willsboro, N.Y., January 11, 1825. His parents moved to Keeseville, in the same county, when he was a child. In the latter place he attended the academy. He graduated from the Vermont Medical college, at Woodstock, in the class of 1849. He commenced the practice of medicine at Irasburg, Orleans county, in 1850, where he remained until 1872, with the exception of two years at St. Johnsbury. In the latter year he came to this town, locating at East Hardwick, where he is still in practice. 

       The East Hardwick Congregational church was organized, by a council convened at the house of Thomas Fuller, with sixteen members, July 29, 1803. The first pastor was Elder Amos Tuttle, a Baptist clergyman. The first church building was a wooden structure, erected in 1824. The present building was erected in 1851. It will seat 300 persons, and is valued, including grounds, etc., at $6,000.00. The society now has 150 members, with Rev. Edwin E. Rogers, pastor. 

       The Wolcott and Hardwick Freewill Baptist church, located in the western part of Hardwick, was organized with eleven members, June 18, 1845. Rev. W. W. Harris was the first pastor. The society now has twenty-three members, with Rev. J. Monroe Nelson, pastor. They have no church building. 

       The Methodist Episcopal church, at Hardwick, was organized by its first pastor, Rev. O. S. Morris, with sixty-five members, December 22, 1847. The church building, a wooden structure capable of seating about 300 persons, was built that year, and is now valued at $2,500.00. The society now has ninety-five members, with Rev. S. S. Brigham, pastor. 

       The Advent Christian church, of Hardwick, was organized by A. A. Hoyt, with eighteen members, in 1875. Their church building was erected in 1884, will seat 200 persons, and is valued at $2,000.00. The society now has forty members, with Rev. Addison P. Drown, pastor.

(Source: Gazetteer of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 201-223)

This chapter was provided by Tom Dunn.


1887 - 1888 Hardwick Business Directory