Chronological history of Warwick County Virginia

Chronological History

of Warwick County Virginia

The following information was abstracted from the book "Newport News Virginia, 1607-1960"

by Annie Lash Jester published 1961


1607 April 26- Captain Christopher Newport and Company arrive
1610 June 8- Mulberry Island first referenced
1610 July 9- Humphry Blunt killed by a band of Indians on the James River. This location there after was known as Blunt/Blount Point
1611 Captain Newport's last voyage to Newport's News bringing Sir Thomas Dale who was responsible for reorganizing the colony
1619 Nov. 11- Records of the Virginia Company of London identify the colonists settlement as Newport's News
1622 March 22- Newport News was defended by Daniel Gookin and 35 men following the Great Indian Massacre
1624 Richard Stevens is involved in a dual that fatally wounded Lt. George Harrison
1624 August 14- Edward Waters patented land on Waters Creek, now Lake Maury in the grounds of the Mariners Museum.
1626 Bolthrope, a tract of some 500 acres is patented by Richard Stevens
1627 Earliest record of a church building (Mulberry Island) located adjacent to Thos. Harwood's plantation, Queen's Hith, in Stanley's Hundred on Baker's Neck.
1628 An area of land, known as "The Forest" is patented by Zachariah Cripps. This land later acquired by the Cary family and became part of an area called Richneck.
1628 The plantation at Merry Point, the home of William Parker, is first recorded.
1629 Denbigh, best known of the Warwick Plantations was so named and was the seat of Capt. Mathews, who in 1626 is recorded as having taken up land in the Blunt Point area, calling his plantation "Mathew's Manor". He served as governor of Virginia from 1657-1660. A portion of the Denbigh plantation is now the Newport News City Farm.
1631 Monthly court first established in the Warwick River area. The following commissioners were named: Capt. Samuel Mathews, Capt. Richard Stephens, Capt. Thomas Flint, John Brewer, Zachariah Cripps and Thomas Ceeley
1631 Nutmeg Quarter church erected.
1634 Warwick River Shire established. It took it's name from Robert Rich, second Earl of Warwick and a prominent member of the Virginia Company.
1637 Capt. Samuel Stevens inherits Bolthrope from his father.
1643 Warwick River Shire becomes Warwick County
1643 Windmill Point recorded in a land patent by Thomas Taylor.
1643 Colonial Assembly described the boundaries of Warwick River Shire and shortened the name to Warwick County.
1691 First courthouse and jail at Warwicktown ordered repaired.
1704 Virginia Rent Roll of 1704 lists 125 parcels of land in Warwick. Among the prominent families of the period in Warwick County: Ranshaw, Roscow, Mountfort, Harwood, Lucas, Digges, Crew, Whitaker, Cary, Jones, Scasbrook, Wills, Llewellyn and Cole.
1720 Endview completed before this date. Originally a plantation of the Harwood family, it has been the property of the Curtis family for several generations. Much of the original structure remains.
1727 One of the very few early colonial homes of brick that is still standing today, is built on Mulberry Island. Mathew Jones II is credited with building the house called Bourbon.
1776 May 6- William Harwood and Richard Cary, Warwick County delegates, joined with other delegates in declaring the government of George III over Virginia to be totally dissolved.
1780 Oct. 20- Invasion of Warwick by the British
1781 Washington's troops stop at End View during their march to Yorktown to engage General Cornwallis' troops
1782-1785 The state enumeration for Warwick County showed 111 families with 586 whites and 774 Negroes.
1786 Newport's News designated as a port of entry
1809 Reestablishment of Warwick Co. seat at Stony Run, Denbigh.
1810 November- Second court house erected at Denbigh.
1848 The beginning of the building of Lee Hall Mansion as the home of Richard Decauter Lee. This tract was originally part of the Oak Hill tract of some 3000 acres.
1851 U.S. Post Office first established at "New Port News" at the foot of Bennett's Wharf
1861 June 10- First land engagement of the Civil War was fought at Big Bethel between the troops of Col. John Bankhead Magruder (Confederate) and Gen. Ebenezer Pierce (Union). The Union forces were repulsed.
1865 April- Establishment of prisoner of war camp at Newport News. 25 Acres surrounded by 12' fence. Camp vacated by August 2.
1881 October- First passenger train departed from Newport News en route to the Centennial Celebration grounds at Yorktown via temporary tracks laid from Lee Hall.
1884 New Warwick Co. courthouse erected in Denbigh
1888 Removal of seat of government of Warwick from Denbigh to Newport News
1890 Summer- Large section of downtown Newport News destroyed by fire.
1896 January- Newport News withdrew from Warwick Co. and was incorporated as a city.
1899 August- A Yellow Fever scare spread great alarm through the Peninsula. There was a tremendous exodus by boat and train as a result.
1914 Curtis Flying Field established following the outbreak of World War I
1917 Winter- Severe weather and low temperatures plagued the Peninsula. Ice clogged Hampton Roads and the James River, interfering with shipping.
1918 January- U.S. Shipping Board Emergency Fleet Corp commenced the construction of 500 homes in Warwick Co. on the site of Hilton Farm. This became Hilton Village.
1918 March- Camp Eustis established.
1918 Autumn-Severe epidemic of influenza swept the Peninsula and the nation at large bringing heavy mortality
1923 Camp Eustis renamed Fort Eustis.
1930 June 2- The Mariners Museum founded by Archer M. Huntington began acquiring some 880 acres in Warwick fronting the James River to establish a park and museum.
1933 August 23- A violent hurricane swept the Peninsula doing some $3 million worth of damage.
1947 May- The Peninsula Airport Commission acquired a tract of 924 acres at Camp Patrick Henry to serve as the site for a proposed Peninsula Airport.
1949 November- Dedication of the Patrick Henry Airport.
1952 City of Warwick incorporated.
1954 Hurricane "Hazel" swept the Peninsula doing considerable damage.
1957 July 16- Citizens of Newport News and Warwick vote to form one city.
1957 September 10- Voters decide the consolidated city to be named Newport News
1958 July 1- The city of Greater Newport News became an actuality as the third largest city in Virginia with a 65 square mile area.

Last Updated on 6/19/99
By Lori B. Pownall