Claremont on the James, Its Beginnings and Early Years Circa 1880-1920
by Marion Sims Baird, Jr.
Just published (2002), this excellent history of the Town of Claremont brings to light many fascinating stories about the town's origins and people. There are also many lists of inhabitants, including
This book has more than 200 pages of documented history about the Town of Claremont and the people who lived there. Mr. Baird has done a superb job.
- names of Claremont's early officials and notes from early Town Council meetings
- names of teachers and students of the Claremont schools
- names of Claremont residents in the 1900 U. S. Census
- names of Claremont residents in the 1910 U. S. Census
- names of Claremont residents in Town tax records
- names on head stones in Claremont Cemetery.
Anyone with roots in Claremont or the surrounding area will want a copy of this book. See the Society's BOOKS PAGE for more information.
Pages updated 20 May 2019. © Surry County, Virginia,
Historical Society and Museums, Inc. Contact