There are three levels of volunteering work involved in helping with this project:
Submitting whole obituaries as seen in the newspaper. Permission is required. See bottom of page for information and sample letter.
Indexing the information found in the obituary (Name, dob, dod, locations, parents, spouses, marriage date & location, cemetery, funeral home, date of source, picture availability) . If you live in Oklahoma or know someone who does that subscribes to a local paper, then you can help with this project! You can index the local paper. Permission is not required from the newspaper, so begin today. It is easy, not a lot of typing is involved, just a dedication to saving the obits and typing in the basic information for each one. Estimated amount of time five to ten minutes a day (or save them and do them on the weekend). More information available at bottom of this page.
Individual Obituaries also accepted. Permission is required to place the obit word for word. Otherwise a synopsis or index of the obit can be submitted without permission. Know the city and need the county?
Directory of Special Obituaries
State of Oklahoma Obits - Not County Specific Creek Nation Obituaries Chickasaw Nation Obituaries Choctaw Nation Obituaries Osage Nation Obituaries Oklahoma I O O F Obituaries
Newspapers Indexed :
The Durant Daily Democrat (Bryan County) partial 1998,1999 - by Trudy Marlow
The Enid News & Eagle (Garfield County) partial July 2001 to current - by Ann Weber
The Madill Record (Marshall County) Aug-Dec 1999- by Rhonda Rowe
Newspapers Volunteers Needed to Index Obituaries
(and/or contact for permission to post full obituaries)
- The Daily Ardmoreite http://www.ardmoreite.com/ (Carter Co.) - Volunteer Needed
- Chickasha Daily Express http://www.chickashanews.com/ (Grady Co.) - Rosemarie Tapia
- Claremore Progress www.claremoreprogress.com (Rogers Co.) - Volunteer Needed
The Daily Oklahoman The Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma Co.) - Melissa Smith
- The Duncan Banner http://www.zwire.com/news/newslist.cfm?brd=1598 (Stephens Co.) - Volunteer Needed
- Edmond Sun http://www.edmondsun.com/ (Oklahoma Co.) - Dorothy Del Rio
- Kiowa County Democrat - (Kiowa Co.) - Zoe Barnard
- The Lawton Constitution http://www.lawton-constitution.com/ (Comanche Co.) - Zoe Barnard
- McAlester News Capital http://www.zwire.com/news/newslist.cfm?brd=1126 (Pittsburg Co.) - Volunteer Needed
- The Ponca City News http://www.poncacitynews.com/ (Kay Co.) - Volunteer Needed
- Poteau Daily-News http://www.pdns.com/cgi-bin/pdns.pl (Leflore Co.) - Volunteer Needed
- Shawnee Online http://www.news-star.com/ (Pottawatomie Co.) - Volunteer Needed
- The Seminole Producer http://www.seminoleproducer.com/ (Seminole Co.) -Linda Simpson
- Tulsa World http://www.tulsaworld.com/ - (Tulsa Co.) - Linda M. Brummett
- Weatherford Daily News http://wdn.itlnet.net/ (Custer Co.) - Volunteer Needed
Participating Newspapers Permission granted for (FULL OBITUARY)
The Altus Times (Jackson County) - Lola Withrow
- Cordell Beacon http://www.cordellbeacon.com/ (Washita Co.) - Lola Withrow
Elk City News -(Beckham County) - Wanda Purcell
- Enid News & Eagle http://www.enidnews.com (Garfield Co.) - Dora Gillilan
- The Hominy News Progress (Osage Co.) - Sharon Hamilton
- Kingfisher Times & Free Press http://www.kingfisherpress.net/ - (Kingfisher Co.) - Barbara Clayton
The above includes only a small list of newspapers in Oklahoma, if you would like to volunteer for a newspaper that is not listed, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Here is how you can help with the Obituary Project
To volunteer send your name, email address, and the newspaper you will be working from, make a note if you are indexing or submitting whole obits. Once a month, you will email me your file of obit information. We will then place them online. Questions or comments, please contact me: Linda Simpson
Contact local newspapers to ask permission for the USGenWeb Archives Project to archive their obituaries. Here is a sample letter to send to the newspapers. Contact me with the name of the newspaper and name and title of person granting permission from the publication.
Check with state archives and genealogical societies to locate microfilm or other sources of pre-1923 (public domain) newspapers to transcribe obituaries from.
Something to think about, some newspapers offer subscriptions by mail.
Volunteer to transcribe obituaries from newspapers already granting permission (must have access to their publication or website).
Copyright Law: The Oklahoma Obituary Project will abide by today's copyright laws. Obituaries published after December 31, 1922, unless:
- you were the original author of the obituary, or
- the newspaper in question grants permission to reprint the obituary, or
- the obituary is that of a family member (you must give the relation), or
- you submit an abstract/INDEX of your obituaries.
Search Files by State National Search Engine Archives Newsletter How to Submit Files Guidelines About the Obituary Project Oklahoma Newspaper Information
Obituaries Project Home Page
Oklahoma USGenWeb Archives
© 2001-2007 Linda Simpson
for The Oklahoma & USGenWeb Archives Projects