Tardebigge St Bartholomew External - 18
Tardebigge St Bartholomew

Tardebigg Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822


Tardibigg [sic] ­ a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 5 miles S.E. from Bromsgrove, and 113 from London; containing 581 inhabited houses. The boundary line between this County and Warwickshire runs through this parish. The church is a neat edifice, lately erected, and has a good organ. It is a rectory, with the chapelry of Redditch annexed; Rev. Lord Aston, incumbent; instituted 1821; patron, Earl of Plymouth. Population, 1801, 1922 ­ 1811, 2771 ­ 1821, 2998.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.


Tardebigge 1855 (with Tutnell and Cobley, Webb Heath and Bentley Pauncefoot)


Tardebigg is situated 2 ? miles E. from Bromsgrove, and contained in 1851 a population of 1621 inhabitants.

The Church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a plain modern building, consisting of nave and chancel, with western tower and spire. On the east wall, at the right of the altar, is a memorial to the late Earl of Plymouth (by Chantrey); and at the opposite side is a carved marble monument to Sir Thomas Cookes, the founder of Worcester College, Oxford, a member of an ancient family once possessing property in this parish. The font was resented by the Bartleet family of Redditch, as a memorial of two members of the family. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of Lady H. Clive. Rev. John F. Mackarness, M.A., Vicar; Joseph Cund, Clerk. Service ­ 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.

Ebenezer Chapel, Webb Heath, is a small, neat brick building, erected 1849, supplied by circuit preachers. Service ­ 3 and 6 p.m.

The School, conducted on the national system, was erected and principally supported by Lady H. Clive, and is under Diocesan inspection. Mr. F. Davies, Master; Charlotte Davies, Mistress. Number of boys, 40; girls, 40.

Useful Links


Historical Information and Directory Transcriptions