Old Swinford
Old Swinford, St Mary

Old Swinford Photo Galleries: Old Swinford Church; Old Swinford Graves

Old Swinford Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822


Old-Swinford ­ a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, lower division, 1 mile S.S.E. from Stourbridge, 7 from Kidderminster, and 128 from London; containing 932 houses, exclusive of the town of Stourbridge, which is in this parish. The church is a noble gothic structure, with a lofty handsome spire, containing a good ring of bells. Here is a free school, founded by Thomas Foley, Esq. who endowed it with about 1500 acres of land, and other emoluments. There were originally 60 boys on the foundation, but some of the leases having expired, by which the funds have been considerable increased, 10 more boys are admitted. The charity is under similar regulations to those of Christchurch, London. The living is a rectory; Rev. Thos. P. Foley, incumbent; instituted 1797; patron, Lord Foley. Population, exclusive of Stourbridge, 1801, 3766 ­ 1811, 4380 ­ 1821, 4980.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Oldswinford Billings Directory 1855


Oldswinford is a very extensive Parish, in the Lower Halfshire Hundred, containing several Townships and Hamlets, one of which (Amblecote) is in Staffordshire. The entire Parish contains a population of 20,238; Oldswinford, alone, 2,728 inhabitants; the other places will be afterwards noticed. With the exception of Oldswinford Hospital (which will be found under the head of Stourbridge), there is little worthy of notice. Oldswinford is 5 miles from Dudley; 20 from Worcester; 124 from London; 12 from Birmingham; and 6 from Kidderminster.

The Parish Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern erection, with the exception of the tower, which is of the fourteenth century, and contains a peal of six fine bells. It is a large building, and the style of the architecture is made to correspond with that of the tower, and reflects great credit upon the designer, R. Ebbells, Esq., and also upon the builder, Mr. E. Smith. It has galleries on three sides, the one at the western end containing a very fine-toned organ. There are sittings for nearly 1500 persons, about one half of which are free. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Lord Ward. Rev. C. H. Craufurd, Rector; Mr. Thos. Cogzell, Clerk. Service ­ 11 a.m. and 3 15 p.m.

The Infant School is a large brick building, and is supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Mrs. Jackson, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 56.

The School at Red Hill, endowed by John Wheeler, Esq., and Henry Glover, Esq., is for the education of 25 boys. The building is a large brick erection, with a house for the master, who is allowed to take other scholars, not on the foundation. Mr. Chetwynd, Master.

County Police Station, Upper Swinford. Henry Pantin, Officer.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Useful Links


Historical Information and Directory Transcriptions