Webb County, Texas | Places and Vanished Communities
Last modified: 13 APR 2010
Webb County cities, towns, defunct counties, hamlets, settlements, vanished communities, and ghost towns. If you have information you'd like to add about these locations, or photographs of Webb County locations, please contact . Be sure to check in nearby counties as county lines changed many time and the place you are looking for may no longer be in Webb County.
On State Highway 359, 24 East of Laredo. It is named for the settlers of the 1870s.
Alberca de Arriba Ranch
A scenic South Texas ranch.
formerly known as Los Apaches.
Arroyo de los Angeles
northeast of Oilton.
named after Antonio Bruni.
The settlement began around 1881 as a shipping point.
established in 1881.
The Callaghan Ranch
The ranch was started after the Civil War as an eighty-acre homestead south of old Fort Ewell on which Charles Callaghan, a young veteran of the Confederate Army, undertook to raise sheep.
may be an old settlement now in Zapata County. First named Habitación, then Carrizo, which could be misread as Carrigo. It is mentioned as such in a few genealogies. After 1958 it was named Bellville, then in 1898 it was changed permantently to Zapata.
absorbed by Laredo.
named for David Darwin Davis, superintendent of Cannel Coal Co.
Renamed San Jose.
Small town, population approximately 1700.
incorporated into Webb County.
near Laredo, was established in the aftermath of the Mexican War.
The Independent Club
evolved in 1894.
In 1882, it was a station and coal shipping point on the Rio Grande and Pecos Valley Railroad.
County Seat; this town was the last established under the authority of Escandón;. Current day Laredo.
Laredo Air Force Base
formerly Laredo Army Air Field.
name is Spanish for "the shops".
named for John Z. Leyendecker, early postmaster of Laredo.
Centuries before Spanish settlers arrived, Indians camped on the site.
located on the banks of the Rio Grande about two miles upriver from what is today the Laredo-Colombia Solidarity Bridge.
on land originally granted to Nicolás Mirando.
named for Lod Moglia.
named for Thomas C. Nye.
called Torrecillas ("little towers") for 2 limestone rock formations nearby.
an unsuccessful settlement on land that the Spanish crown granted to Mexican settlers during the early nineteenth century.
Spanish for "little fish".
used by Spanish expeditions to designate any unusually large temporary settlement or encampment of Indians.
established in 1881.
Small town south of Laredo, population approximately 4000.
was a farming community.
was a coal-shipping point on the Rio Grande and Eagle Pass Railroad.
was a coal-mining town.
was established as a shipping point on the International-Great Northern Railroad in 1881.
The town of Bruni is located 42 miles east of Laredo on highway 359. A brief history of Bruni is as follows: Bruni was officially founded in 1922 when the townsite was surveyed and set up by C. R. Cole and Dudley Tyng. Even though it was founded in 1922, there had been a settlement there since the 1860's. Around 1877, Antonio M. Bruni began a ranching operation and the little community then became known as Bruniville. An early post office was set up around 1900. During the 1920's the oil boom hit the area and about the same time, Bruniville dropped the last part of its name and became known as Bruni. Bruni's current population is approximately 500 people. Read more Here Below is a list of some notable people that helped in the founding and early days of Bruni.
Antonio M. Bruni, early settler and rancher.
L. H. Bruni, early settler and started first school.
Lod Moglia, early settler and first postmaster from 1900, 1910.
Nat Wilson, helped organize the Bruni townsite.
Mr. Elkins, helped organize the Bruni townsite.
Henry Erchoid, helped organize the Bruni townsite.
O. H. Baker, helped organize the Bruni townsite.
C. R. Cole, owned the first hotel.
Other notable surnames:Valdes, Peck, Hudson, Brice
First Settled in 1810, Los Ojuelos is located 32 miles east of Laredo on Highway 359 and then south 4 miles on Texas farm road 649. Los Ojuelos is one of the oldest settlements in this area. Only Laredo is older than this small village. A brief history of Los Ojuelos is as follows: Los Ojuelos was first settled by Eugenio Gutierrez who received a land grant from the King of Spain, but he returned to Mexico. His grand sons (Dionicio, Jose Maria and Juan Guerra) returned and settled at the same site in 1855. The village was built at the site of several springs that provided water year round in the barren land. The population of the village grew to approximately 400 people and from time to time served as a Texas Ranger headquarters. In the 1860's it was a stop for the pony express route that ran from Corpus Christi to Laredo.
Los Ojuelos is currently a small ranching village with just a few ranch workers living there permanently. Many of the old adobe and rock building are still standing and a few of the landowners have refurbished many of the buildings for weekend homes.
Read more about Los Ojuelos at the Handbook of Texas Online
Founded 1921, Mirando City is located 32 miles east of Laredo on Highway 359 and one mile south on Texas Farm Road 649. A brief history of the founding and history of Mirando City is as follows: The town of Mirando City was founded by Oliver Winfield Killam in 1921 as a result of the first oil field being discovered south of San Antonio. There had never been an oil field in this area and the town grew rapidly to accommodate the people necessary to develop the oil field. The town was made up mainly of tents and temporary housing in the early days and was a true oil "boom town". The population quickly grew to an estimated 12,000 people.
The oilfield by the 1930's had spread to the surrounding south Texas area and so did the population of Mirando City. The population has gradually dwindled over the years to a present day population of approximately 450 people.
Read more aboutMirando City at the Handbook of Texas Online
Some of the notable people that helped in the founding and early days of Mirando City, Texas:
Oliver Winfield Killam, drilled first oil well in area and founded Mirando City in 1921. His family is still active in the oil business in that area.
C. L. McCashin, worked for Killam and help develop Mirando City.
W. W. (Bill) Sterling, a Texas Ranger who became Mirando City's only lawman in the 1920's. Then served as the first Justice of the Peace for the area. Later he returned to the Rangers and became a Captain and Adjutant General of the Texas Rangers.
George L Buck, early independent oil operator.
E. J. Lunz, opened the first Mirando City Pharmacy.
Weldon Pharr, published the Mirando City Record newpaper.
H. F. Danmier, owned early trucking company that supplied oil business.
John Dever Long, owned Long Brothers Drilling Co., early oil drilling company.
Dick Young, early Mirando City businessman.
Ed and Con Mims, early Mirando City businessmen.
Sam Charles, early Mirando City businessman (Consumers Grocery)
Sam Belin, early Mirando City businessman (Consumers Grocery)
Mr. And Mrs. B. F. Long, opened one of the first cafes in Mirando City
J. A. Moore, owned the first service station and ice house in Mirando City
K.C. Salley, owned early trucking company
J.N. Abel, early oil producer in the Mirando City area
J. E. Kloht, established the Mirando News Agency from 1922, 1929.
Other notable surnames: Becker, Paul, Cardenas, Staggs, Martinez, Molina, Ingersoll, Banda, Rodriguez.
Founded 1891, Oilton is located 34 miles east of Laredo on Highway 359. A brief history of Oilton is as follows: Oilton was established in 1891 and was originally called Torrecillas. Torrecillas is the spanish word for "little towers" and was called this because of the rock formations that were located near the little village. In 1923 the town's name was changed to Oilton because of the oil discoveries in the area. The original family that settled in the area was the Garcia family. Oilton's current population is estimated to be about 350 people.
Read more about Oilton at the Handbook of Texas Online