Starr County Communities


Starr County Communities

  Arkansas City
A supply point and cotton ginning center in the 1930's. It slowly disappeared as farming activities diminished. Located in the northeastern part of the county, south of San Isidro.
Although this was not an official town, it signified the earliest known Spanish settlement in Starr county. This mission was established in 1751 by Jose de Escandon and was located just north of present-day Camargo, Mexico.
  Casas Blancas
A rural community whose name means "White Houses"
Formerly known as Zaragoza. It's Name was changed in 1931. An early settler, Niceforo G. Peņa named the town by combining the initials of his seven sons.
  El Centro
Located between Delmita and San Isidro, it flourished during the 1930's. It was founded by Trinidad M. Valverde at a well known highway intersection and established a grocery store and gas station, as well as install electricity and telephone service.
  El Sauz
Serves as a supply center for area ranches. Located northwest of Rio Grande City.
Located adjacent to Roma. It was named for local land owners, the Escobares Family.
This village is located near the headquarters of the Falcon Dam State Park. It was established in 1949. An older town, "Old Falcon" was submerged when the lake was formed in 1952.
 Fronton, Texas which is south west of Roma  is a fairly large and historic community of over 500 people.  Originally along the banks of the river it was called San Francisco De Las Playas and due to a flood in the 1800's it was moved to the upper banks and is now known as Fronton, or the slang name LACHA.  Families there are direct descendants of founders of Mier and have lived there for several generations.
Located about half way between Rio Grande City and Roma. It was named for an early settler and can trace it's beginnings back to 1753.
Established in 1839 by Mier and Camargo Mexico settlers, Ramon Garcia and family. Formerly known as "Los Garcias de Abajo"
Named after John Peter Kelsey, an early Starr county settler who arrived in 1849. Also known as Kelsey Bass Camp and located in the northeastern part of the county. It was established by the Humble Oil Company for it's employees. It was abandoned by the early 1960's.
   La Casita
This small community is located just to the east of Rio Grande City, and northwest of Garciasville.
   La Gloria
Located in the northeast part of the county about 5 miles west of San Isidro, this small community also serves as a supply center for area ranches.
 La Grulla
This community whose name means "The Crane", was named after the large birds that migrate through the area. At one time it occupied both sides of the Rio Grande.
   Las Escobas
This ghost town is located about 5 miles north of El Sauz and was the center for the ranch by the same name. It was founded by settlers from Mier, Mexico and was named after the broom grass that grew in the area.
This rural community also has it's "old" counterpart which was submerged when Falcon Lake was formed. Apparently it was named after a family named "Lopez".
    Los Arrieros
   Los Saenz
This town was founded prior to 1767 and is part of the Roma-Los Saenz as it is often called. It is named after the Saenz family, grantees of land in this area.
A station on the Rio Grande City railroad. "Olmos" means elm tree.
Rio Grande City
The county seat and largest city in the county. It was incorporated in 1850. It was formerly known as Davis' Landing and was named after Henry Clay Davis, an early settler who married in the wealthy de la Garza Family and acquired land through his wife. In 1848 he sold land that was used for the Fort Ringgold barracks, as well as town lots. The earlier ranching settlement at this location was Carnestolendas which was founded in 1767 by Francisco de la Garza Martinez
Located north of Rio Grande City on Hwy. 755
This site saw activity as early as 1751, when a mission was built for the Oblates of Mary Immaculate Missionaries. It was previously known as Garcia Ranch. It is unclear as to how it got it's name. There are two general theories; one that it was named after Rome, the city of Italy, another that is was named after a Major Roman, a Mexican war hero. It may also have had something to do with it's Mexican counter-part, Miguel Aleman located just across the border, and also known as San Pedro de Roma.
Another farming community located between Rio Grande City and Roma.
Located in the southwest part of the county. Apparently named after a family named "Salinas". Dates back to at least the mid 1800's.
 San Isidro
This town is situated in the northwest portion of the Santa Cruz Grant and the northwest part of the county. This area of the grant was marked with a stone naming it "El Lindero de San Isidro".
 Santa Catarina
 Santa Cruz
A station on the Rio Grande Railroad.
 Santa Elena
Located north of Rio Grande City on Hwy. 755 in the northern part of the county.
Located on Hwy. 649 north of El Sauz. Named for the large quantity of "Snakes" in the area.
A farming community located west of Rio Grande City on Hwy. 83.
See Delmita

Return to Home Page

Compilation Copyright 2004-Present

 by Linda Blum-Barton


This page was last updated on -01/01/2013