Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content.
Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Dunn, on State Highway 208 ten miles south of Snyder in south
central Scurry County, was originally a watering hole for
freighters carrying supplies from the Texas and Pacific Railway
station at Colorado City north to Snyder and Lubbock. The town
was founded by a man named Richardson and was named for Alonzo T.
Dunn, who filed on land in the area in 1889. The Dunn home became
a way station and mail drop for mail and passenger hacks, and
Dunn became postmaster when a post office was granted to the
community in 1890. That same year a school opened. Over the years
the town grew into a trade center. A cotton gin opened there in
1930, and eight years later the old Dunn well was filled and
covered to make way for State Highway 208. In 1980 and 1990 Dunn
had a post office and reported a population of seventy-five.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, June 27, 1966. Scurry County
Historical Survey Committee, Historical
Markers in Scurry County (Snyder, Texas, 1969). Noel