Historical Markers of Sabine County, Texas
Sabine Home
Demographics & Maps
Towns, Cities & Places
Vital Records
Church & Religion
Immigration & Naturalization
Military & Related
Newspapers & Related
Wills & Probate
Tax Records
Land Records
Civil & Related
Libraries & Archives
Historical and Genealogy Societies
Books & Publications
Historical and Genealogy Links
Reference Lookups
Discussion Mail List
Genealogy Tools





Historical Markers of Sabine County, Texas


Historical Markers of Sabine County, Texas
  Marker Photo

Marker Name & Text


Clark-Dickey and Smith Cemeteries

William and Mahala Graham Clark settled in the Big Sandy Creek area before 1837. William died in 1856 and his is the oldest marked grave in the Clark-Dickey Cemetery. It is believed that earlier pioneers camped near here and buried their dead in unmarked graves. In 1850 Obediah Jackson Smith and Elizabeth Chapman bought land from William F. Clark. Obediah died in 1868; his is the only marked grave in the Smith Cemetery. It is likely that family members are also buried nearby. These two cemeteries are the last physical remnants of the Big Sandy Creek community.
Erected 1996


Dennis Cemetery

This cemetery was established prior to 1836 when Texas was part of Mexico. Located on property later donated by pioneer settler Isaiah Hamilton, it was used as a burial site for slaves of the area around the pioneer Sulphur Spring community. The significance of the historic Dennis Cemetery is reflected in the lives of individuals buried here. Gravesites include those of Easter Scurlock, later Mrs. Randall Sneedy, and Henry Smith, who came to Texas in 1834 with their owner Captain William Scurlock, a celebrated veteran of the Texas Revolution two years later. Following Emancipation in 1865, both former slaves figured prominently in the development of the area's black community. Two of Easter's sons, Dave and Dick, who acquired the family name of Jim Dennis when they were sold to him, also became active leaders here. Descendants of slaves buried at this site still live in the area. No longer in use, the Dennis Cemetery contains more than 100 graves. The burial ground now serves as a reminder of Texas' early history and of the area's rich heritage. It is a symbol of pride for the local black community, which was founded on the efforts of pioneer slaves and Freedmen interred here.
Erected 1982 [see William Scurlock - Tx Handbook Online]


County Line Baptist Church and Cemetery

This congregation began soon after the end of the Civil War in the Freedmen's community known as Weeks Quarters (about 2 mi. S). Early prayer meetings and worship services were conducted in homes. Led by the Rev. M. McBerrry, the congregation built its first sanctuary in 1868. Worshipers came from a large surrounding area to attend services in the small frame building, which also served as a community schoolhouse. The church's name originated from its location near the Sabine-San Augustine County line. In 1885 the members voted to relocate the church to the nearby Hankla community, next to the County Line Cemetery (about 2/10 mi. N). The oldest documented grave in the cemetery dates to 1902, although local oral tradition suggests burials occurred much earlier. Many early graves are unmarked. In 1944 the congregation voted to move once again to this location. Since that time additional facilities have been built to serve the growing congregation. County Line Baptist Church continues to serve members from a large area in both San Augustine and Sabine counties.
Erected 1990


Site of East Mayfield

The community of East Mayfield was built here in 1912 and named for Texas Railroad Commissioner Earle B. Mayfield. Formed around the large lumber mill built by Hiram Knox of the Knox Lumber Company, the town was incorporated in 1914. It had a population of about 1,200 and included homes, businesses, churches, a school, movie theater and a hospital. Timber on the company's land was depleted, and when the mill burned in 1937, it was not rebuilt. The town declined and most of its residents moved away; many of the buildings were abandoned. 
LOCATION: Hemphill - Edwards and Ball Park St. -- Erected 1997


El Lobanillo

In this vicinity was historic Spanish rancho called El Lobanillo. Pueblo of Gil Ybarbo (1729-1809), where his ill mother and other refugees remained when Spain evacuated colonists from western Louisiana and east Texas in 1773. Granted 1794 to Juan Ignacio Pifermo, and inherited in early 1800s by John Maximillian (1778?-1866), this is now known as oldest continuously occupied site in east Texas.
LOCATION: Town of Geneva -- Erected 1972

[Additional information Handbook of Texas]




Gaines Memorial Bridge

LOCATION: SH 21, Texas/Louisiana border - Toledo Bend


William Gasby Cemetery

Originally part of a Spanish land grant issued in 1794 to Ignacio Pirfirmo, the surrounding land was acquired in 1870 by former slave William Gasby. This cemetery was established when Gasby donated four acres of the land for a burial ground to be used by the neighboring black community. While the earliest marked grave, that of Mouzeria Thompkins, dates from 1889, there are many sites marked only with rocks, indicating the cemetery probably was in use prior to that time. William Gasby was a prominent leader in the black community and in the development of the nearby town of Geneva. He owned and operated a blacksmith shop and cotton gin on his property. Upon the death of his first wife, Mary, Gasby married Bettie Elizabeth Clay. All three are buried in this cemetery, as are many of their descendants. Another prominent black leader buried here is Alfred Canton, a minister who helped organize the County Line Missionary Baptist Church in 1868. Also known as the New Zion Cemetery for its association with New Zion Methodist Church, this graveyard is an important part of Sabine County history.
LOCATION: Town of Geneva -- Erected 1985


Gellatly Family Cemetery

Robert and Nancy Agnes Gellatly and their son, David, immigrated to Texas from Dundee, Scotland, between 1834 and 1836. Nancy's father, William Sturrock, and other family members also came with them. For his service in the Republic of Texas army, Robert received land in 1841. He later served Sabine County as justice of the peace, sheriff, tax collector, and chief justice. Robert and Nancy eventually were the parents of six children. This graveyard was established in 1863 upon the death of their daughter, Anna Mathews. Four generations of the family are buried here.
LOCATION: Town of Milam -- Erected 1992


Hemphill Cemetery

215.jpg (195929 bytes)

The burials in this cemetery reflect the early history of Hemphill as a developing commercial center and seat of government. The oldest marked grave dates from 1867, nine years after the town was founded. The earliest gravestone marks the burial site of pioneer settler Marier C. Morris (1845-1867), the daughter of Jubal H. Ragan, an early area physician. Early records of the cemetery were lost in an 1875 Courthouse fire, but it is believed the original tract of land for the burial ground was donated by Simon Newsome Beckcom and William T. Morris. The site was later enlarged by additional donations of property. The first school in the area, the Sabine Valley Institute, was located in a Masonic Lodge building on adjacent land which was also used for early religious services. Burials here include those of pioneer area settlers, prominent local merchants and businessmen, veterans of several wars, early leaders of the community, and elected officials of the city, county, and district levels of government. Also interred here is Simeon R. Williams, who served this area as a state legislator. Still in use, the historic Hemphill Cemetery serves as a reminder of the area's rich heritage.
LOCATION: Town of Hemphill -- Erected 1981


Las Borregas Camp Site

Las Borregas Creek formed east line of Spain's 1794 grant to J. I. Pifermo, first landowner in present Sabine County. Upstream, about 1800 at Jack Cedar Crossing of Crow Ferry Road, Spain had an army post to protect settlers and travel. The "Father of Texas," Stephen F. Austin, spent his first night (July 16, 1821) in Texas on this creek.
LOCATION: Town of Milam -- Erected 1973


Isaac Low Cemetery

A veteran of the War of 1812, Isaac Low (1781-1853) migrated to this area from Tennessee in 1828. During the Texas Revolution he operated a nearby ferry across the Sabine River to aid settlers fleeing from the advancing Mexican army. He later served as a commissioner for Sabine County. His son Jesse Low (1812-1848), whose grave is the earliest marked at this site, donated the land for use as a cemetery. Also buried here are Reddick Pitt Sibley, a captain during the Civil War, and Eli Low, whose 1883 murder resulted in a three-year feud in the surrounding area.
LOCATION: 15 mi. east of Hemphill via FM 83, then south on FM 3382 to E 3520, in El Camino Bay subdivision -- Erected 1981


Barney C. Lowe

Grave Marker
LOCATION: Lowe Family Cemetery about 5 mi. south of Pineland on US 96, then east on Lowe Cemetery Rd. on right -- Erected 1936


Macedonia Baptist Church Cemetery

The Macedonia Baptist Church was established on this site in 1885. Though it is likely that there are burials dating from that time, the earliest marked grave is that of Olin Robertson (1828-1906). Ten graves are those of World War I veterans, and more than 35 are those of veterans of World War II. Other wars and conflicts are represented as well. Four of those interred here in the 1970s lived more than 100 years. Many burials are those of persons born into slavery who lived to pave the way to freedom for succeeding generations of African Americans. There are more than 500 graves on this site. Of these, about 193 are unmarked. The high number of early unmarked graves is one reflection of the social and economic status of black people in this area at the turn of the 20th century. The cemetery is a chronicle of African American heritage.
LOCATION: 2 miles east of Hemphill on FM 83 -- Erected 2000


McGown Cemetery

The McGown Cemetery's earliest known burial, that of pioneer Anne Kyle (d. 1842) occurred five years after the formation of Sabine County. Seventeen years later, George Washington McGown (1799-1859), a Sabine County justice of the peace during the Republic of Texas era, became the second person and first of his family to be interred here. Civil War veterans buried here include McGown's son Andrew Henderson McGown (1824-1904), who served four terms as Sabine County sheriff, and neighbors William (1833-1918) and Perry (1841-1927) Browning, also members of a prominent pioneer family. The McGown Cemetery continues to serve the descendants of Sabine County pioneers.
LOCATION: 3 mi. W of Milam on SH 21, then .4 mi. N on unmarked cemetery road -- Erected 1998


McMahan's Chapel

LOCATION: Monument - 10.5 mi. NW of Milam along SH 21, then south on Spur 35 -- Erected 1936


Meador Cemetery

Virginia-born Dr. Richard A. Meador (1808-1853) and his wife Mary Ann (Tucker) (1818-1864) came to Sabine County in 1844 and built a home near this site. Their young child Sarah died in 1850 and the family buried here in their garden since there was no public cemetery at that time. The garden was firmly established as the Meador Family Cemetery with the burial of other family members, many of whom were important in the development of Sabine County. There are approximately forty graves here which are maintained by the Meador Family Cemetery Association.
LOCATION: north of Milam off SH 87 on Meador Cemetery Lane -- Erected 1983


Town of Milam

Founded in 1828 as Red Mound. Named in 1835 for Benjamin Rush Milam. Seat of justice of Sabine municipality, 1835, of Sabine County, 1837-58. Incorporated December 29, 1837. Internal Revenue post during the Republic headquarters of the Quartermaster's Department, C. S. A. for Sabine County, 1861-65. First home in Texas of John S. Roberts, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Home of John C. Hale, martyr of San Jacinto.
LOCATION: Town of Milam - SH 21 in front of Milam Post Office -- Erected 1936


Milam Masonic Institute

Many pioneers belonged to the Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, an order active in education. Among Masons settling in this area by 1845 were Republic of Texas leaders William Clark, James Gaines, D. S. Kaufman, Willis H. Landrum, and F. M. Weatherred. The Rev. Littleton Fowler (1803-46), a Mason, opened in 1845 in this county the Midway Institute, which was soon absorbed by Red Mount Seminary. Set to work at Red Mount (Milam), 1847, was Jackson Lodge No. 35, A. F. & A. M., with John Boyd, G. A. Norford, A. D. Oliphint, O. J. Polley, and J. T. Scruggs as officers. The lodge soon operated the Milam Masonic Institute, successor to the earlier schools. On the charter application (1853) M. M. I. was listed as already "a flourishing school." Later, Sexton Lodge No. 251, A. F. & A. M., operated M. M. I., a great contributor to East Texas culture until tax-funded education became universal in the 1870s. Among supporters of M. M. I. were masons with the family names Anderson, Causey, Davis, Deweese, Dorsey, Elliott, Gellately, Halbert, Harper, Harris, Jacks, Low, McCloskey, McGown, McMahan, Mason, Nethery, Noble, Pratt, Reeves, Renfro, Sanders, Slaughter, Smith, Speights, Sweet, Tucker, Vickers, Watson, White, Whittlesey, Williams, and Yeiser.
LOCATION: Town of Milam - east of SH 87 and SH 21 intersection -- Erected 1974


New Hope-Bethel Baptist Church

In the early 19th century, Bethel Baptist Mission was established one mile east of this marker, on a lane that is now Farm Road 276. About 1818, Elder William Cook (d. 1829), having emigrated from North Carolina to southwestern Louisiana, began preaching both east and west of the Sabine. A log cabin under a catawba tree on property of Henry Chambers and his son, Allen, was site of Bethel Mission services. Elder Cook's work here and elsewhere is described by heirs of the pioneers and by a 1910 Louisiana history, "Footsteps of the Flock," by Ivan M. Wise. Bethel Baptist Church was constituted on Feb. 7, 1841, as a congregation of the Pilgrim Church of Regular Baptist Faith and Order. At that time a frame meetinghouse was built. Bethel broke off its fellowship with the Pilgrim Order in 1849, joining the Central Missionary Baptist Association. The name "Bethel" was changed about 1870 to "New Hope." This church joined the Southern Baptist Convention in 1927. It also belongs to the Sabine Valley Baptist Association. W. T. Love has been pastor since 1937. New Hope-Bethel Church stands on land which was donated by J. G. Mason. The present brick sanctuary was erected in 1970.
LOCATION: north of Milam via SH 87 about 4.5 mi., then east on New Hope Baptist Rd. -- Erected 1974


Oliphint Chapel Cemetery

Alfred D. Oliphint came to Texas and received land grants in 1839 and 1844 in Sabine County. He served as justice of the peace and county judge, and in 1879 deeded five acres of land to the Methodist Episcopal Church. This cemetery, located adjacent to the church, dates to at least 1870. Among those interred here are early settlers to the area, many of whom are buried in unmarked graves. The restored cemetery continues to serve the community and is maintained by the Oliphint Chapel Memorial Gardens Association.
LOCATION: inside Frontier Park, SH 21 and Toledo Bend - Milam -- Erected 1997


Matthew Arnold Parker

(May 17, 1801 - March 19, 1862) First chief justice of Sabine County, Republic of Texas. Parker was born in Georgia. He came here from Louisiana in 1822, settling at this site which was on land later included in his headright grant from the Republic. In 1836 he served in the Defensive Sabine Volunteers. President Sam Houston appointed him chief justice (or county judge) in Dec. 1836, and he was on a commission to detect fraudulent land claims in 1840. After his wife Mary (Isaacs) died (1845), he married Elizabeth Lowe. He was father of 16 children. He died in DeWitt County, and was buried near Nordheim.
LOCATION: 4 mi. north of Hemphill on SH 87  -- Erected 1974


Payne-Williams Cemetery

John (1784-1848) and Margaret (1788-1857) Payne came to Texas from Georgia about 1835. A veteran of the War of 1812, John served Sabine County as a justice of the peace and as a state legislator. He set aside land for this cemetery, where many of his descendants are buried, including his son Epperson Duke Payne (1810-1840), who served at the Siege of Bexar and the Battle of San Jacinto. Others interred in the small graveyard include Civil War veteran Lewis Williams (1836-1916) and several of his relatives and descendants.
LOCATION: Town of Geneva  -- Erected 1984


Sabine County


LOCATION: on the Courthouse Square -- Erected 1936


Sabine County Courthouse

An 1858 election called for Sabine County offices to be moved from Milam (7 mi. N) to this more central location. The new county seat, Hemphill, was named for former Texas Supreme Court Justice John Hemphill. The first courthouse at this site burned in 1875 and was replaced by a larger frame structure. The present building was started in 1906 by N. A. Dawson under the direction of James Barney Lewis. The two floors were rebuilt following a fire in 1909 and a remodeling of the structure was completed in 1938 by the Works Progress Administration.
LOCATION: on the Courthouse Square -- Erected 1982


Sabine County Jail
316.jpg (209474 bytes)

Sabine County Commissioners contracted for this two-story Victorian jail building in 1903. It was completed the following year during the county judgeship of James T. Peace. Bricks for the exterior were supplied from the local kiln of Henry Huffman. The original interior space, which included an area for hangings, was remodeled in 1925 by the Southern Steel Company of San Antonio. W. H. Davidson was county judge at the time. 
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980
LOCATION: on the Courthouse Square -- Erected 1980



LOCATION: 11 mi. east of Hemphill via FM 83, then north on FM 3382 -- Erected 1936


Sabine Town Cemetery

S. H. Morris sold 200 acres of his land grant in the 1830s for the establishment of the town of Sabine. Businesses included a post office, customs house, wagon factory, brick kiln and a tanning yard. The Sabine Town Cemetery contains 18 known graves; Mary Jane Scott's is the earliest recorded burial in 1842. The graveyard was in use until 1907; Harry C. Maunds is the last recorded burial. In 1970 the James Frederick Gomer Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas in Hemphill took over maintenance of the site.
LOCATION: 11 mi. east of Hemphill via FM 83 \, then FM 3381 N to Monument Dr., right down road for .25 mi., take first right -- Erected 1997


Scurlock Cemetery


This cemetery is named for North Carolina native William Scurlock (1807-1885), a veteran of the Texas Revolution, who is buried here. He and his brother Mial migrated to Texas in 1834 and constructed a log cabin in this vicinity. The following year they enlisted in the Texas Revolutionary army. Known as the "Man with the Charmed Life," William served in the Siege of Bexar, the Battle of Agua Dulce, and participated in the Matamoros Expedition. Captured by Mexican forces at Goliad and used as a medical assistant, he escaped the massacre of Col. James W. Fannin's troops. He later eluded his captors and fought at the Battle of San Jacinto. Mial Scurlock was killed at the fall of the Alamo. After the war Capt. Scurlock served in the Republic of Texas Congress (1839-40) and fought in the Mexican War (1846-48) before settling here. His wife Frances (1821-1902) was the daughter of William A. and Phenaty Thompson, pioneer settlers of the area. The earliest marked grave here is that of their son George, who died in 1864. Also buried here is Confederate veteran W. J. Walton (1838-1916). Captured at Jonesboro, Georgia, in 1864, he spent the remainder of the Civil War in an Illinois military prison.
LOCATION: Town of Geneva -- Erected 1980


Mial Scurlock

(b. 1809) and his brother William Scurlock (1807-85) left their Mississippi home in 1834 to settle in Texas, then a part of Mexico. That same year they received a land grant here in the Sabine District and, with their slaves, began farming the site. The following year, when disputes between Texas settlers and Mexico resulted in the Texas Revolution, the Scurlock's joined the Texas army at San Augustine. Mial participated in the Siege of Bexar and in the Battle of the Alamo, where he was killed on March 6, 1836, in the defense of his adopted land.
LOCATION: Town of Geneva -- Erected 1983


Springhill Cemetery

The first person known to have been interred here was William Isaac Pace in 1837. The Pace home was located on this site, and according to local history the family established a Methodist church and a school, significantly contributing to the development of the Springhill community for which the cemetery was named. Other pioneer families represented here include the Bennett, Campbell, Conner, Cooper, Davidson, Davis, Dent, Easley, Ferguson, Hyden, Jacks, Tatom and White families. Maria Ann Davis Pace (1812-1909) lived to be nearly 100 years old, as did William F. Stanley (1869-1968). The graves include veterans of the War of 1812, the Texas revolution, the Mexican War, the Civil War, World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War.
LOCATION: 3.5 mi. W of Hemphill on FM 83; 1.5 mi. S on gravel road -- Erected 1999


Francis Marcus Weatherred
fmweatherred.jpg (276680 bytes)

Grave Marker (Star and Wreath)
Came to Texas in 1835. Born in Albermarle County, Virginia, July 15, 1781. Soldier in the Creek Indian War and the Texas War for Independence, 1836. Died December 4, 1854. His wife Nancy Dowell Weatherred, born in Virginia, 1791; died in Sabine County, Texas, 1864. 
Erected by the State of Texas, 1962

LOCATION: Town of Milam - north on N. Vernon Rd. off SH 21, west side of Milam



Take Pride in America button Visit RootsWeb