Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content.
Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
The Pioneer Museum is located on the corner
of Ragland and East Third Streets, Sweetwater, TX.
R. A. Ragland
In 1882, R.A. Ragland
(1858-1938) came to Sweetwater as one of the town’s
first lawyers. He served as City Commissioner,
School Board member and County Attorney.
In partnership with R.C. Crane, he set up a law office and abstract
firm. In 1906, he had this house built for his wife, Luella Maddox
This home was originally the residence of the
late Judge and Mrs. R.A. Ragland and their four children. It was
built in 1906 and sold after the death of Judge Ragland.
The Chapel and brick addition to the front were built when the residence
served as a mortuary.
It served as Patterson Funeral Home until the
mid 1970’s, when a grandson, Robert A. Ragland, of El Paso, TX, bought
the property and gave it to the City and County in 1976. It became
the City-County Pioneer Museum.
The Museum was identified as a Texas Historical Landmark in 1979 and has been a
member of the Permian Basin Museum Institute since 1986.
The museum is a non-profit organization dedicated to the
preservation of the history of this area. Service to the public
is carried on by a board of directors, a museum manager, a small
staff and a support organization, "Friends of the Museum".
The City-County Pioneer Museum is supported by the city, the
county, memorials and private contributions.
Open to the Public
Tuesday - Saturday 1-5 P.M.
You may contact the Museum at:
A very extensive
Arrow Head Collection is on display at the Pioneer Museum.
Click on the Pioneer Photo Gallery link on the right.