Back Home Next

Some obituaries of Medina County residents in chronological order.  If you have any you'd like to have included, send them to the TXGenWeb coordinator for Medina County.

The "Castroville Notes" section of the San Antonio Express [?, 1883] reported Death, the great leveler of all castes, against whose visit the Eighteenth Legislature has failed to pass any law, paid two of the oldest gentlemen in Castroville, Mr. Peter Fricker, 97 years old on the 29th and yesterday the 30th, that of Mr. Joseph Meyer who has seen 83 years of moral strife. The Galveston Daily News [?, 1883] reported Castroville--Two deaths, crop notes Court. Special Telegram to the News: Joseph Meyer and Peter Fricker, two of the oldest colonists of this county died here last Thursday, March 29, 1883, the former in his 83rd year of age and the latter in his 97th. It seems quite singular that the two who have lived neighbors from boyhood to such a ripe old age should die the same day.
The Castroville Quill March 15, 1901 DIED At the family home on the Saus, on Monday, evening, March 4, 1901, Miss Mina Santleben after an illness of fourteen days.

The deceased was born on June 13, 1868 in the home at which she died, and spent her life in this community, where she had many relatives and friends who mourn her departure. She leaves a widowed mother and several brothers and sisters to grieve over the one who has gone from their fireside to await their coming in the bright world beyond.

The funeral was conducted from the Lutheran church by her pastor, the Rev. E. J. Rod on Tuesday evening.

The remains were followed to their last resting place by a large number of sorrowing friends.

The QUILL extends its heartfelt sympathies to the bereaved family.

The Castroville Quill March 15, 1901 Adolph, the 4 year and 3 months old son of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Keller, died this morning at the home of Mr. Joe Dieteman of Purpura(?) Hemorrhagiea and was buried in the Catholic Cemetery. Rev. J. Kirch performing the absoques(?). The grief stricken parents have the sympathy of the entire community.
The Castroville Quill May 31, 1901 GONE TO REST

At his home at Castroville, Tex. on Sunday morning May 19, 1901, Mr. Joseph Conrad passed from life to death, from earth to heaven.

About his dying couch were gathered three that had been dearest on earth to him--wife and children. With ?????able sorrow his loved ones watched the hues of life fade from his brow, his cheeks as fade ??? crimson from a morning cloud. They could pray, could weep, but could not stay the ?????? that had come. As the clock told the hour of two "God's finger touched him, and he slept."

A good man has gone to his rest, and to his eternal reward. In his death, this community has sustained a great loss, his family a sad bereavement.

Mr. Conrad was born at Rehtingen, Prussia on the 22nd day of December 1832. While yet a lad his family left their native land for America. After a long and tiresome voyage, they landed at Galveston on New Year's Day in 1843. After spending three years in Galveston and ????????, Mr. Conrad decided to remove farther west, and join Castro's colony.

In 1846, he came to Castroville, and cast his lot with the colonists that had established ??????? at this place the year previous. From that time to the day of his death he was a member of this community. During his life he held a number of positions of trust in the discharge of the duties of which he exhibited that honesty of purpose and integrity of character which marked his whole life.

In 1863, he held the position of Sheriff, and from 1880 to 1884 he filled the office of commissioner. ?????????????? of the corporation of Castroville. His name appears as one of the charter members of the St. Louis Society.

As a citizen he was a model worthy of immitation. The principles of right and justice governed him in his relation to his fellowmen. He loved peace and was always upon the side of law and order. His devotion to right secured for him the respect and friendship of every ??? and condition of his fellowmen.

Mr. Conrad was twice married. His first marriage occurred in 1858 when he was wedded to Miss Katherina Droicourt. Of the three children born to him of this marriage, one survives--Mrs. Adam Droitcourt.

In 1863 he was married to Miss Theresa Mohr. Thirteen children blessed this marriage, eleven of whom remain to mourn the loss of a devoted father. The married daughters are: Mrs. Hubert Zuercher, Mrs. Lawrence Rihn, Mrs. Jacob Rihn, Mrs. Louis Mangold, and Mrs. Frank Keller. Two daughters--M???? Theresa and Ida--are still single. The surviving sons are John, Willie Joseph and Hubert. To these may be added twenty-seven grandchildren. He leaves one sister, Mrs. Seraphin Meyer.

On Monday morning the mortal remains, escorted by the St. Louis Society, and followed by the grief stricken family and a large concourse of friends were conveyed from his late home to the church, where he had worshipped for so many long years, where a solemn Requiem Mass was celebrated by his pastor, the Rev. Father Kirch. In the Catholic cemetery ????? and prayers, his remains were laid to rest, and to await the glorious morn when the grave shall yield up its dead.

To his bereaved family The Quill tenders its sympathy and condolences.

The Castroville Quill October 17, 1902: Julius Franz Conrad Wurzbach.  "To die, is landing on some silent shore, Where billows never break, nor tempest roar."

On the afternoon of October 5, 1902. Julius Franz Conrad Wurzbach passed from the scenes of earth to the life that is eternal.

For long weary months he endured the sufferings of a fatal illness.  All that human love, or human agency and skill could do to restore him to health, was done, but in vain.  He was entering the shadows and silence of the valley that intervenes betwixt this world and that beyond, and no human agency could stay his going.  As the sun purpled the western hills on the evening of his sixty-fourth birthday, he passed through the vale, and rested on the sunlit hills beyond.

Mr. Wurzbach was the second son of Franz Justus and Renetha Carnelia Rosalo Schneider Wurzbach, and was born in Witzbug, Bavaria, Germany on October 5, 1838.  When seven years of age, he came in company with his parents to America.  The family landed at Galveston where they remained until 1849 when they removed to San Antonio.  After a residence of two years in that city, the family came to Medina county, and established themselves upon the upper Medina.

Julius Wurzbach was engaged in the cultivation of the farm until he reached the age of sixteen.  He then gave up farming, and began freighting from Port Lavaca to San Antonio.  He continued this business until the outbreaking of the Civil War.  In his sixteenth year he and his brothers, Rudolph and Adolph, were confirmed in the Lutheran church.  They were members of the second class that received this rite in the Lutheran church at Castroville.

War Record

In 1862 Mr. Wurzbach entered the Confederate Army as a private in Company H Third Regiment of Texas Volunteers.  This Company was commanded by Capt. S. G. Newton.  The company remained at San Antonio until the Spring of 1863, when it was ordered to Brownsville where it remained for two months.  The command was then ordered to Harrisburg from where it moved to Houston.  The regiment was presented by the citizens of Brownsville with a handsome flag as a token of the high appreciation in which the officers and soldiers of the command were held by them.  The regiment participated in the battle of Sabine Pass at which 300 men and 2 vessels of the enemy were captured.  During the next few months the command was stationed at Valasco, Cam Slaughter, and Bernard Creek.

In 1864 the company was sent to Louisiana by way of Houston, Crocket and Huntsville.  At Shreveport the command was hurried to Mansfield as a battle was pending near that place.  The Company, however, arrived too late to participate in the engagement.  In the spring of 1864 the regiment was attached to Scurry's Brigade of Walker's Division and sent into Arkansas.  A Federal force under Stell was entrenched at Campton.  A forced march was made to capture this force, but on reaching Campton they found that the enemy had retreated.  Following the retreating enemy they overtook them at the Saline river and an engagement ensued.  In this battle Generals Scurry and Randle were killed, and Gen. Wall lost his right arm.  Capt. Newton's horse was shot from under him.  The day following this battle, the Confederates buried their dead, and retired to their Camp near Princeton, returning in a few days to Alexander in Louisiana.  From this place the command went to Fort Monroe where they received orders to go to Georgia.  This order was not executed as it was impossible to procure boats for their transportation across the Mississippi river.  The command was then stationed at Monte Stella, Campton, Ark., Menton, and Shreveport, La.

In the Spring of 1865 the company was again on Texas soil.  At Hempstead news of the surrender of the Confederate forces east of Mississippi was first learned.  The end had come.  The Confederacy was dead.  The Southern Cross that had floated over the bravest soldiery that the world ever saw, was furled forever.

Mr Wurzbach and his comrades of "the last cause" having received an honorable parole turned their faces homeward.  As they turned away from the scenes of their glorious achievements with sad hearts and silent tread, the earth resounded with the plauditis of those who appreciated their heroism and patriotic valor.

On December 28, 1868, Mr. Wurzbach was married to Miss Caroline Heusinger.  Five children were born of this marriage.  One, a girl, died; the others and six grand-children and his wife survive him.  His children are: Henry and Otto, Mrs. Emil Zoller and Mrs. Fritz Tuerpe.

On Monday afternoon the mortal remains of this devoted husband and father, good citizen, and gallant Confederate soldier were followed from the town of Castroville by a large procession of sorrowing relatives and friends to their last resting place in the family burial grounds on the banks of the Medina river where amid prayers and tears ashes were consigned to ashes, and earth to earth to await that morn when the grave shall give up its dead, and the mortal shall be clothed with immortality.  The last sad rites of the Lutheran church were performed by the Rev. E. J. Rod.  The Knights of Honor, of which order the deceased was a member in good standing, attended the burial of their deceased brother.

The muffled drum's sad roll has beat,
The soldier's last tatoo
No more on life's parade shall we meet
Our comrade brave and true.

On fame's eternal camping ground
His silent tent is spread,
While glory guards with solemn round
The bivouac of the dead.

The Anvil Herald, October 31, 1903 On Friday night, October 23, Daniel, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Aug. J. Mangold, died and was buried Saturday afternoon in the St Louis cemetery. Rev. J. Kirch officiating. The grief-stricken parents have the sympathy of the entire community.
Hondo Anvil-Herald, April 14, 1906 Mrs. Hilka Schulte died at Quihi last Wednesday evening April 11, 1906. She was born Sept. 4, 1840 at Buelte, Kingdom Hanover, Germany. She was a daughter of Harm Gerdes, who was killed by the Indians in 1867 near Quihi. She was married in 1856 to Frank Schulte who died in 1872. Deceased has surviving her one brother, Gerd Gerdes of Guadalupe Co.; two sisters, Mrs. Aug. Bohlen of Quihi and Mrs. Val. Haass of Castroville; six children, Mrs. Chas. Reitzer, Mrs. Joe Horn, Henry Schulte, Ehme Schulte, Mrs. Otto H. Brucks and John Schulte; twenty-three grand children and six great-grand children.
Her ramains were interred in the Lutheran cemetery at Quihi Thursday evening, Rev. Falkenberg conducting the funeral services. A large concourse of friends followed the remains to the grave. Deceased had been an invalid for three years and death no doubt came as a welcome relief. May she rest in peace.
Hondo Anvil-Herald, June 20, 1908 Ed. Anvil Herald - Please permit me a little space to mention the death of my darling niece, Della May Hartmann, who was bitten by a rattle snake last Wednesday from the effects of which she died early Thursday morning. She was laid to rest in the new cememtery at Hondo at 5 o'clock Thursday afternoon by Rev. Falkenberg, the Quihi Lutheran pastor. Peace to her ashes.

The little child of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Brucks died here early Saturday, June 13, 1908, after a short illness. The little body was laid to rest in the afternoon in the Quihi Lutheran cemetery. Rev. Falkenberg conducted the last sad rites. The grief stricken parents have our condolence in the death of their darling babe.
Castroville Quill Friday, December 4, 1908:  DIED -- At her home in Castroville, Sunday, November 22nd 1908, at 9 o'clock a.m. Mrs. John B. Wernette Sr., aged 74 years 11 days.

Mrs. Wernette was taken sick on Friday morning, suffering a stroke of paralysis while seated at the breakfast table.  Medical aid was immediately summoned, and all the care and love that skilled physicians and an anxious household could devise and apply for her comfort and assistance were brought into play, but to no avail, and despite the prayers and entreaties of all who knew and loved her, their appeals were overruled, and shortly after the beautiful Sunday morning was kissed by the risen sun, the sufferer's spirit took its flight to that Home above.

Mrs. Wernette (nee Meuret) was born in Ruefach, Ober-Alsace, Germany, November 11th 1834.  She came to the United States in 1850, and in the year 1851 she was married to Mr. Philip Jagge, who preceded her in death in 1857.  From this union two sons were born, the oldest dying in infancy, while the youngest, A. F. Jagge survives.

In 1859 she was married to Mr. J. B. Wernette Sr., which union was blessed with ten children, seven of whom are living, namely, Messrs. Joseph, Charles, Philip and John Wernette Jr., and Mesdames Wm. Rhin, J. W. Galbreath and Frank Grimsinger.  Besides her grief stricken husband and children she is survived by thirty-two grand children, one great-grand-child, also one brother Mr. Joseph Mueret of Runge, Texas, and one sister, Mrs. Augustine Kobe, of Portland, Oregon, to mourn her demise.

The life journey of this noble woman is ended.  Yes, it is a path marked with deeds of kindness and cheer.  Flowers, not thorns, sunshine, not shadow, did she scatter everywhere.  With these was she lavish.  Truth was the inspiration of her life, and by kindness she exemplified its great worth.  She was a devout Catholic, a faithful wife and loving mother, a kind neighbor, and beloved and respected by all who knew her.

The funeral took place from St. Louis Catholic Church after Mass of Requiem, on Monday morning, and interment was made in the Catholic cemetery.  Rev. Father Kirch performed the last sad rites.  A large number of sorrowing relatives and friends followed the remains to its last resting place.  The flowers and floral offerings were beautiful, but not not more beautiful than the face which rested so peacefully among them.

We feel that there is not a single person in Medina County who has known her in life but that joins in extending their deepest heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved ones.

Card of Thanks

We take this method of giving to our friends our thanks for their many kindnesses during the illness and death of our wife and mother.  Again we wish to thank all those who attended the funeral, also many beautiful floral offerings.
                                                                                                                             J. B. Wernette Sr. and family

Unknown, probably the San Antonio News December 28 [1908]Mexican War Veteran and Castro Colonist Special to the News.
Hondo, Tex., Dec. 28 [1908]--Louis Graff Sr, aged 83 years, died at his farm near Hondo, Medina County, Tex., Wednesday.  He was born on the 7th of April 1826 in Neufreistadt, Bishofsheim, Baden, in Germany on the Rhine, emigrated as a Castro colonist at the age of 18 years, and came to Texas and settled with ten Germans and thirty-eight Frenchmen, under Henry Castro, and settled at the town of Castroville, on the Medina River, in September, 1844.  In 1845 he joined the Texas rangers under Capt. John Conner, under Gen. Travis and went to Mexico.  He was at Mier, ????, Catrigo and Monterey.  He left Mexico and became a Texas Indian scout.  In 1847 he was married to Miss Barbara Bartz, who with three sons, twenty-five grandchildren and fourteen great-grandchildren survive.  He had made Medina County his home since 18444, and had seen the county grow from a wilderness to a densely settled country, and with old pioneers had to undergo the many hardships of their early days.  He was universally well liked and was known as a hospitable, honest good man, respected by every one.  A large number of people attended his funeral at the family graveyard, two miles east of Hondo.  Rev. A. Falkenberg, pastor of the German Lutheran Church, conducting the services.
Hondo Anvil-Herald, January 9, 1909 August Nietenhoefer, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Nietenhoefer died here Saturday, Jan. 2, 1909, at 5 o'clock a.m., after an illness of several week's duration. Deceased was at the time of his death 19 years, 11 months and 6 days old. He leaves besides his father an mother, two sisters, Missies Annie and Emma, one brother Ernest and hundreds of near and dear relatives and friends to mourn his untimely death. His earthly remains were laid to rest in the Quihi Lutheran cemetery, where a large concourse of sorrowing relatives and friends came to pay their last tribute of respect to the memory of a dear boy. The funeral service was conducted by Rev. Falkenberg. Pleace to his ashes.
Hondo Anvil-Herald, January 9, 1909 LOUIS GRAFF SR. Castro Colonist, Mexican War Veteran, Indian Scout and Pioneer. LAST ORIGINAL COLONIST. Died at his farm house two miles east of Hondo, on Dec. 23rd, 1908, after an illness of two months, aged 82 years 8 months and 14 days. Louis Graff was born April 9th, 1826 in New-freistadt, Bishofsheim, Grosherzogthum Bade, on the Rhine in Germany, was the son of Friedrich Graff, a stone mason, and Elizabeth, nee Haus; appreniced and learned the trade of a butcher, and when eighteen years old entered the service of Louis Huth Sr., (Castro's Agent,) and embarked on the ship Louie Phillipe (the 3rd astro ship) from Antwerp to Galveston and Port Lavaca, where he remained a while, then went to San Antonio, rented land, made a crop and then hauled emigrants from Port Lavaca to San Antonio for Louis Huth, with one Schneider, and several ox-wagons, Chas. de Montel Sr., the surveyor, acting as guide. On the way, several emigrants died from fever. Aug Weber, Sr's. father died on the prairie, Ziliax Weber died near Cibilo. They were buried under rocks, having no tools along to dig graves. Ziliax Rihn, a young man, some distance behind the main crowd, was killed by the indians and scalped, and the oxen killed and wagon burned, and was the first Castro Colonist killed by Indians. Left San Antonio on Sept. 1st 1844 with Colonists and Henry Castro founded Castroville on the Medina river on 2nd of Sept. 1844, with ten Germans (among whom was Louis Graff) and 36 thirty-six Frenchmen, (of whom L. Graff was the last surviving member.)
In 1845, joined the Texas Rangers under the Lone Star flag and in the same year was enrolled on the sand hill at Castroville (Muehlenberg) in Capt. John Conner's Company under Gen. Taylor for the Mexican War, left for the Rio Grande, went to Mier, captured it, then Ceralva, where Mexicans killed about 300 teamsters with lances, then took Catrigo and then Monterey. The Indians getting bad in Texas was ordered to San Antonio to do scouting, and was mustered out in 1847.
On Nov. 2, 1847 was married to Miss Barbara Bartz by Father Dubius of the Catholic church. Said union was blessed with seven children, five sons and two daughters, two sons died in infancy, on daughter Emily, wife of Geo. Bendele died Feb 2, 1895. And Lina wife of C. L. Dwyer died July 30, 1902. he is survived by his aged wife and three sons, Charles, F. Louis and Emil; also 26 grandchildren an 14 great grandchildren. He has made Medina county his home since 1844, first living in thetown of Castroville, then across the river (the old Cagnon place), then moved to the Sauz and later to the HOndo river just N. E. of the county bridge, on Hondo Castroville & Dunlay road then later to the present home two miles east of Hondo, City. He has seen Medina county grow from a wilderness to a densely settled county, and with the old pioneers had to undergo many hardships of their early days.
He was universally well liked, known as a hospitable, honest and good man, respected by every one. A large number of people paid their last respects by attending the funeral at the family graveyard near the homestead, the following friends acting as pall bearers: Geo. Muennink, George Haass, Wm. Schweers, F. L. Boehle, Ser. Keller and Jos. Weynand.
Rev. A. Falkenberg, pastor of the German Lutheran church of Hondo, (of which church deceased had been a life long member,) conducting the funeral services according to the ritual of said church.
A good man has gone to rest.
Hondo Anvil Herald  June 12, 1909 Mr. Samuel Tilley was born in Caldwell County, Texas, March 8th, 1855, died at the home of his son, A. C. Tilley at Runge, Texas, June 7th, 1909.
Deceased was a highly respected citizen and farmer of the Bear Creek community, near Devine. He came to Medina county in 1856 and had lived for many years on his farms, always taking the lead in school, church and other public enterprises of  his neighborhood and of his home town. He leaves a widow, three married daughters and two married sons and three younger children. The daughters are Mrs. J. W. Ulbrich of Hondo, Mrs. Cook Moore of Bigfoot and Mrs. J. W. Bailey of Uvalde. the married sons are Alex Tilley of San Antonio and Allen Tilley of Runge.
The funeral took place from the Baptist church Wednesday morning, the writer conducting the same, after . . . . . but perfectly willing to depart . . . with Christ which is far better than any thing this world can afford. He said to his . . . . with whom he had lived happily for so long: "Read your bible and you will know where to find me." Besides his beloved wife, eight children, eleven grandchildren survive him. Two sons are dead. Funeral service was conducted at the house on the . . . . . by Rev. W. W. Nunn, Chaplain of Masonic Order and pastor of M. E. Church, after which the members of the . . . order took charge of the body and it was laid to rest in the old cemetery to await the resurrection of the just.
The floral offerings and simpathy was abundantly manifest at the house and grave, for which the family desire to offer their sinsere thanks.
D. W. Bennett, Local Deacon M. E. Church South
Hondo Anvil-Herald October 1, 1910 Emil Bohlen Killed The saddest tragedy that has occurred in our peaceful burg for a long time, happened this week when Emil Bohlen, a young man, was found dead with a gun shot wound in his head. The particulars of the sad tragedy are these: On Saturday, at about 2 o'clock P. M., in the absence of his brother Fritz-with whom he was staying-he stated to Mrs. Bohlen that he was going to kill a hawk. So saying, he took a shot gun and went down to the Verde Creek and that was the last seen or heard of him until he was found dead. When at dusk Mr. F. Bohlen returned from Hondo and his brother had not yet returned he became alarmed and immediately telephoned to the neighbors who went out and searched with lanterns until two o'clock Sunday morning and at daybreak Sunday the search was renewed by about 100 citizens of this community who were joined by Sheriff Joe Ney and Deputies Aug. Schuehle and C. J. Bless and a posse of citizens from Hondo. Every pasture, field, tank, gully, old well and waterhole was searched, and at about 10 o'clock A.M. he was found by Rolly Bless within about 200 yards of Mr. Bohlen's house. He was lying on his back stretched at full length, with a 16 gauge shot gun across his breast. His left hand held the barrel and was powder burned while his right was over the gun. The shot entered just below the right ear and came out between the eyes, tearing away the brain and defacing him terribly, causing instantaneous death. In the absence of testimony either way Coroner Schorobiny, who held the inquest, rendered a verdict of accidental death. Deceased was born on the 16th of January 1882, consequently was at the time of his death 28 years, 8 months and 8 days old. His remains were laid to rest in the Quihi Lutheran Cemetery Sunday, Sept. 25th at 6 o'clock P.M., surrounded by a large concourse of sorrowing relatives and friends who had come to pay their last tribute of respect to the memory of the departed one. The funeral service was conducted by Rev C. Stadler. The deceased is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Bohlen, three brothers, F. H., Henry and John Bohlen, and seven sisters, Mesdames John Balzen, John Lindeburg, John Saathoff, Henry Rohlf, Aug. Schlaudt, Tom Rogers and Fritz Nietenhoefer. Whatever may be your opinion of his sad tragedy let Him judge who doeth all things well, and let forever the mantel of peace and forgiveness rest over poor Emil Bohlen.
Hondo Anvil Herald March 27, 1926 William Meyer died at his home in Dunlay, Friday morning, March 19, 1926 at 10 o'clock. His body was buried in the Catholic cemetery in Castroville Sunday afternoon. Six of his nephews acted as pallbearers. They were Harry Meyer, Clarence Huegele, Elmer Huegele, Hubert Batot, Henry Batot, Jr., and Joe Krenmueller.
Deceased was born in Bader Settlement August 10, 1876. He was married to Miss Lina Huegele on January 7, 1902. He leaves, besides his widow, one daughter, Mrs. F. J. Zerr of Sanderson, and three sons, Joe, Otto and Welton, and one granddaughter, Ruth Janet Zerr, his aged parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Meyer of Dunlay, and two sisters, Mrs. Chas. Krenmueller and Mrs. Dom. Schott of Dunlay.
Deceased had been in poor health for several years. The immediate cause of death was a second stroke of paralysis, from which he died without regaining consciousness. Death no doubt relieved him of much bodily pain and suffering.
This paper joins the many friends of the family in extending heartfelt sympathy on this sad occasion.
Hondo Anvil Herald August 28, 1926 Our Castroville Page: Mrs. Ed. Meyer, nee Simon, died early this (Tuesday) morning at the home of her daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Dom. Schott, Jr. of Bader Settlement and will be buried Wednesday morning. A more definite mention will be made next. week.
Hondo Anvil Herald October 8, 1927 Our Castroville Page: Mr. Edward Meyer, died at the home of his daughter and son-in-law Mr. and Mrs. Dominic Schott, Jr., of Bader Settlement, Sunday night, September 25, 1927 and was laid to rest at St. Louis Cemetery Monday evening. Rev. Father Heckman performed the last sad rites. Deceased was born at Wittelsheim, Aliace Loraine, France, during the month of May, 1843 and came to this country with his parents in 1844. While quite a young man, he served as a private in the Confederate ranks, and again in the early seventies, he joined the Texas Rangers under Captain H. J. Richards' command. He was happily married to Miss Julia Simon in July 1873. His wife preceeded him in death August 24, 1926. This union  was bessed with four children, two sons, of whom one, William also preceeded his father in death, and two daughters. They are Henry Meyer and Mesdames Chas. Krenmueller and Dom. Schott Jr. Pall Bearers were grandsons of the deceased, namely Paul Schott, Harry and Joe Meyer and John Rudolph and Joe Krenmueller. A good man has gone to his last reward. Deceased was a devout Christian, a dutiful husband, a loving father, a law abiding citizen and a kind and accommodating neighbor.
Besides those mentioned, the departed is survived by seventeen grand and four great-grandchildren and a large number of other dear relatives to mourn his loss. A large cortege of mourning relatives and friends escorted the mortal remains to their last resting place. We join in Sympathy with the bereaved and griefstricken ones.
May he rest in peace.
Hondo Anvil Herald February 12, 1937 J. W. ULBRICH PASSES John William Ulbrich died at home here, on Monday night, February 8, 1937, after an illness of several month's duration. His body was laid to rest in Oakwood cemetery Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. W. S. Highsmith, pastor of the Methodist Church, conducting the services.
Mr. Ulbrich was born in Caldwell County, Texas, near Maxwell, on November 19, 1868. He spent the greater art of his life in that location, moving to Hondo in 1908 where he has spent the last 29 years.
He was twice married, the first occurring in December 1888 when he married Miss Artelia Redding. Four children were born of this union, one of whom is dead. Following the death of his first wife, he was married to Miss Maude Tilley on May 27, 1900 who, with their eight children survive him. The children and the place of residence are as follows, Mrs. Maude Wehmeyer, San Marcos; Mrs. S. S. Moore, Crystal City; Jack Ulbrich, Hondo: Mrs. Margaret Newcomb, Devine; C. P. Ulbrich, Carrizo Springs; Mrs. Fred Bowman, Devine; Mrs. R. S. Vaughan, Hondo; Mrs. Parker Siddall, San Antonio; Jean W. Ulbrich, Hondo; Mrs. Welton Meyer, Hondo; Miss Fern Ulbrich, Hondo. Twenty grandchildren also survive as do four sisters and one brother.
Mr. Ulbrich was an industrious farmer and stockman and was successful in business. Ill health for some months had afflicted him and brought him much suffering.
The active pall-bearers were Lous Grube, Russell Chapman, ..... Graff, Dr. John Henry Meyer, ...ton Rath and Ben Graff. Honorary pall-bearers were P. H. Renken, R. Grube, L. E. Heath, R. J. Noonan, Dr H. J. Meyer, Dr. T. R. ....., Hubert Burger, Fritz G. Muennink, W. G. Muennink, Charles Mo..., J. M. Finger, Earl Boon, ... J. Schuehle, John Tyre, S. A. ...., J. B Dawson and F. D. ...rison.
This paper jonis in sympathy for those bereaved.
Los AngelesTimes May 27, 1998 WILSON, Lenora Eugenia born March 25, 1920 in Medina, Texas; passed away May 24, 1998 in Lynwood, California at age 78.  Survivors include her sisters, Dorothy Deeds and Olla Mae Perillard, many nieces and nephews.
Visitation will be held from 5pm to 8:30pm, Thursday, May 28 and from 8:30am to 1:30pm Friday, May 29 at Rose Hills Memorial Park (Gate1). Services will be held 3pm Friday, May 29 at Memorial Chapel, Rose Hills Memorial Park, Whittier (Gate 1). Rose Hills Morturary.
(Contributed by Mrs. Eleanor Evans Borkenhagen)
Orange County Register December 30, 1998CARR, Sarah "Lou", 72, passed away Wednesday, December 9, 1998 of heart disease at Corona Regional Medical Center.  Mrs. Carr who was born in Medina, Texas lived in Orange County for 60 years.  She moved to Corona, CA for the pass (sic) nine years.
She was a member of the Santa Ana Women Of The Moose for 49 years.  She was a Telephone Switchboard Operator at Pacific Bell in Santa Ana for 20 years; previously, she was a Clerical Worker for Orange Unified School District for 10 years.  She was a member of the Orange County and Citrus Belt Women's Bowling Association.
Mrs. Carr is survived by a daughter, Jackie Chandler of Conyers, GA; a son, Jimmy Kinzer of Melbourn, FL; five grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren and four sisters: Shirley Anderson of Wildomar, CA; Pat Cardwell of Sacramento, CA; Judy Gatchell of Geneseo, IL; and Zell Rudd of Orange, CA.  No services will be held. 
(Contributed by Mrs. Eleanor Evans Borkenhagen)
Los Angeles Times November 19, 1999: KNOWLES, Alvin 84, passed away peacefully on November 15th, 1999, after a long struggle with Pulmonary Fibrosis.
Born June 22nd 1915 in Hondo, Texas.  Moved to Santa Monica in 1935.  Served in US Army.  Retired after 31 years with the USA Post Office.  He will be remembered for his friendship, kindness, love of his church and life, and devotion to his family.
He is survived by his loving wife, Hermina; sister, Doris; children and grandchildren.
Viewing Thurs., Nov. 18, 12pm-7pm at Spalding Mortuary, 3045 La Brea Ave., L.A. Funeral service will be held on Friday, November 19th, 1999 at 11:00 a.m., Calvary Baptist Church, Santa Monica
(Contributed by Mrs. Eleanor Evans Borkenhagen)
Orange County Register June 29, 2001RANGEL, Gilbert of Anaheim, California passed away peacefully on June 25 at his home surrounded by his family.  Born on September 24, 1937 in LaCoste, Texas to Emiterio and Maria Rangel, Gil was president of American Business Services in La Habra.
He was preceded in death by his father and is survived by his loving wife, Martha and children Lisa and Brian.  He is also survived by two other children, Gilbert of San Diego and Maria Schlecht of Ohio.
Other survivors included his mother, Maria, of San Antonio; sister Josephine Battyany of Inglewood and Irene of San Antonio, Texas; brothers Pete, Rudy, Arturo, Jerry, Juan, Tony and Jesus; and numerous nieces and nephews.
A celebration of life was held yesterday (Thursday), June 28 at the Inglewood Mortuary and his body will be cremated.
A private graveside service for his remains for family members only will be held next week at Rose Hill Cemetery.
Orange County Register April 26, 2005Rodalfo A. CUELLAR, 67, born in Hondo, TX passed away on April 22, 2005 in Anaheim, CA., and had resided in La Palma, CA for 37 years.
He is survived by his loving wife; Kathleen, and 2 children; Michele and Michael; and 3 grandchildren; Lauren, Abby and Colin.
Viewing will take place on Thurs., April 28th from 11-9PM.  Service to take place on the 29th at 11:00AM.  All to take place at Forest Lawn, Cypress.  He will be missed by all.
Orange County Register March 23, 2008: Orta, Max, of Placentia, CA, died March 17 at age 64. Born in Hondo, TX, he is survived by his parents, Ramona and Max; his wife, Peggy; his brother, John, and his three children, Kathy, Neil, and Michele, and 14 grandchildren. Services will be held Apr 5 at 11 a.m., at Calvary Chapel Golden Springs, Diamond Bar. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to City of Hope, USC Norris Ceneter, or Hospice of America Foundation.
Los Angeles Times September 9, 2009: GRAYSON (nee SCHOTT), Alice Iola Alice Iola Grayson, a longtime resident of Glendale, peacefully passed away on September 2, 2009. She was born April 13, 1909 in Devine, Texas. In 1919 she moved with her family to Riverside and resided in California for the ensuing 90 years. Alice married Lauren Grayson in 1928, and they moved to Glendale in 1951, where Lauren served for many years as Director of Public Services for the City of Glendale while Alice raised their four children. A loyal member of Grandview Presbyterian Church since 1955, Alice enjoyed bible study and served a a deacon for many years.
Alice was an amateur naturalist whose pursuits included tending African violets, gardening, and assembling marvelous collections of ordinary items such as rocks and seed pods in which she displayed the art and beauty in nature. Alice had a keen sense of humor and her infectious smile will be missed.
She is survived by her sons, David and Harlan, her daughter Cynthia, twelve grandchildren and sixteen great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her son, Ronald, and her husband, Lauren.
Visitation is available September 11 between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale. Memorial services will be at 11 a.m. September 12 at Grandview Presbyterian Church, with luncheon to follow. The church is located at 1130 Ruberta Avenue, Glendale.
In lieu of flowers, and to honor Alice's love of children, the family suggests making a donation to the Children's Center or Club JAM program at Grandview Presbyterian Church.
Other obituaries can be found at Guinn-Horger Funeral Home, Hondo, Obituaries and The Hondo Anvil Herald.

TXGenWeb, Medina County - Obituaries updated on 11/05/2013

Questions or problems regarding this web site should be directed to the TXGenWeb coordinator for Medina County, Margaret Meyer Simpson.  This page may not be reproduced for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons.  Files may be printed or copied for personal use only. Copyright 2003-2013.