2. SISK HARDWARE (1831 6th St.) built in 1950. Dates back to 1895 when the family arrived and began a business called "Sisk General Merchandise Store." 1916 to 1956 Sisk Hardware was on the South side of the square (# 29). Many original fixtures have remained in the store. Closed in 2012
3. INTERNATIONAL BANK OF COMMERCE (1916 7th St.) built in the 1970s. Originally Bay City Bank & Trust
4. HEALTH FOOD COTTAGE (1840 7th St.) - built in 1913 as Ehlert's Bakery.
4b. LISA'S MAIN STREET SALON & COFFEE BAR (1822 7th St.) - built as a furniture store and undertaking establishment in 1900 by William Walker.
5. BAY CITY OFFICE SUPPLY BUILDING (1839 7th St.) - constructed in 1901 for V. L. LeTulle, O. J. Doubek, and Henry Rugeley and later the LeTulle Mercantile Store.
6. BAY CITY NAILS (OLD FIRST NATIONAL BANK BUILDING) (1901 7th Street) built in 1903 by architect Julius Leffland, Hatchett & Large.
7. HAIR EXCHANGE (2121 Ave I) built in 1908. Housed the Fire Department equipment and served as a place of storage for the Water Works Department in the 1920's and 30's.
8. LIBERTY PARK & BANDSTAND (2000 6th St.) built in approximately 1907 on southwest corner of courthouse square. The bandstand was moved from the courthouse square in 1963; the park was named "Liberty Park" on April 1, 1985 in commemoration of the Nation's Bicentennial celebration.
9. FIRE STATION (1920 6th St.) - Bay City Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1906. Present station built in 1950.
10. ART LEAGUE OF BAY CITY BUILDING (1921 5th St.) - built in 1903. Originally the Presbyterian Manse and later the Huebner home.
11. CITY HALL (1901 5th St.) - built in 1963; original site of the First Presbyterian Church
12. BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CENTER (1900 5th St.) building erected in 1958 to house the Bay City Public Library which was founded in 1913.
13. FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (2216 Ave H)- established in 1898; present building was erected in 1936.
14. FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (2304 Ave H) - part of the Matagorda Circuit in 1895; built on this land in 1904; present building erected in 1957.
15. RICHARD GUSMAN PARK (2300 Block Ave G) - built in honor of Richard C. Gusman, long time mayor of Bay City.
16. FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH (2321 Ave F) - organized in 1895; been in this location since 1909.
17. JAIL (2308 Ave. F) - this jail was built in 1982 and expanded in 2007.
18. SITE OF JAIL BUILT IN 1931 - Demolished in 1991.
19. ST. MARK'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH (2200 Ave E) - established as a mission of Christ Church in Matagorda in 1895; this building erected after destructive storm in 1909.
20. TAYLOR-STEVES FURNITURE STORE (1521 6th St.) - founded in 1909 as Taylor-Hill Furniture was on East side of Square; moved to this location in 1966.
21. BAY-TEX HOTEL (1600 Block 6th Street) - constructed in 1927; early social center
22. TEXAS STATE HEALTHCARE (1700 6th St.) - Location of Grand Opera House built 1906. Current building erected for Bay City Bank and Trust in 1957.
23. WILD BILL'S WESTERN WEAR (1708 6th St.) - built in 1904. Known as the Langham Building.
24. ANTIQUE MALL (1720 6th St.) - originally known as part of the Langham Building was the site of the Post Office in 1912 until the post office was built in 1927 (#45)
25. ANTIQUE MALL (1722 6th St.) Previously Tetts Jewelers, established in 1913.
26. CONFEDERATE MARKER ON COURTHOUSE SQUARE (1700 Block of 6th St.) Marker was dedicated by the E. S. Rugeley 542 U. D. C. Chapter of Matagorda County in 1913.
27. BASKET SHOP & BOUTIQUE (1928 6th St.) - erected in 1908 and known as the Austin Building
28. WELLS FARGO BUILDING (1732 6th St.) - built in 1910. Site of Wells Fargo 1910-1925
29. MUSTARD SEED (1736 6th St.) built in 1907. Present building dates back to 1905 when Doubek & Hawkins Furniture Store began its business
30. LAW OFFICE (1744 6th St.) - constructed in 1930 by the Citizen's State Bank.
31. HOMESTEAD (2145 Ave G) - built in 1906 for Matagorda Pharmacy.
32. PROFESSIONAL BUILDING ( 2139 Ave G) built in 1906. Once the site of Taylor-Hill Furniture.
33. BAY CITY FLORAL (2133 Ave G) - built in 1908. In 1907 was the home of Korn Wagons & Implements. Current building erected in 1908.
34. DIXIE THEATER BUILDING (2129 Ave G); built in 1909 for Secrest Jewelers which operated at this site almost 100 years
35. TOWN SQUARE RESTAURANT (2125 Ave G) built in 1909. Owned by C. Langham in 1903; V. L. LeTulle in 1906; Brackin Jeweler & Optician was here in 1913.
36. GREEN BROS. JEWELERS (2121 Ave G) - built in 1905 and known as the Boney building; housed the first telephone office upstairs; Stinnett Bros. Confectionery 1906-1942;
37. PRECISION DRUG & ALCOHOL TESTING (2113 Ave G) built in 1905. Part of the Boney Building.
38. OSHMAN BUILDING (2105 Ave. G) - first brick building on the Square erected in 1902 by I. Ditch.
39. WELLS FARGO (1801 7th St.) - First National Bank, founded in 1902, moved to this location in 1912.
40. EZ PAWN - EZ MONEY LOAN SERVICES - ADMIRAL TITLE LLC (1741 7th St.) built in 1913. First Hamilton Building was a wooden building in 1895, burned, then a second
Hamilton was built. This is the third. Served as the first courthouse (temporary), a church, and location for community meetings in 1894-1896.
41a. LIVERY STABLE SITE (1727 7th St.) - In 1895 site of a livery stable.
41b,c,d. FAT GRASS RESTAURANT (1717 7th St.) built in 1908. Etie's Cafe opened here in 1932 and operated until a fire destroyed the building's interior in 1969
42. WAR MEMORIAL (1700 Block of 7th St.) - built by the citizens of Matagorda County for all who gave their lives in wars since 1918. Dedicated November 11, 1987. The courthouse was built in 1965.
43. OLD BAY CITY BANK 2044 Ave F) - erected in 1898; site of the Town Office and first newspaper, The Bay City Breeze in 1894.
44. PAULA'S PRECIOUS CUTS & GAMCO VIDEO GAMES (1627 7th St.) - built in 1906 as a Masonic Hall.
45. MATAGORDA COUNTY MUSEUM (2100 Ave F) built in 1917. Dedicated May 9, 1992. Former Post Office 1918 1989
46. MATAGORDA COUNTY MUSEUM ANNEX (2116 Ave F) - museum archives are housed here. Hurley's, which began in 1924 behind Matagorda Pharmacy, moved to this site in 1940.
47. TRAVEL WORLD (2124 Ave F) - site of early Bouldin Drug Store destroyed by fire in 1908; rebuilt in 1911
48. HUSTON DRUG STORE (2128 Ave F) built in 1914. In 1895 this was the site of the Nuckol's House; P. G. Huston Drug Store 1914-1965.
49. IGLESIA CENTRO CRISTIANO (2138 Ave F) - housed Davidson's Confectionery, Bowen Bus Station and W. T. Cox Insurance.
50. HEART & HOME (2140 Ave F) - built in 1912. Site of a saddle shop in 1895; Gaines Building 1912-1917; American Cafe 1920; White House Cafe 1927
51. GOLD STAR FINANCE (2144 Ave F) - 1895 site of a saddle shop & saloon; current building erected 1912.
53a. KARGES CONSTRUCTION (2224 Ave F) - constructed in 1950s.
53b. FORTENBERRY LAW FIRM (2228 Ave F) Built in 1948 as W. T. Cox Insurance.
54. DICKERSON BUILDING (2230 Ave F) - built by Dr. F. E. Dye as a clinic in the early 1930s.
55. RHEMA FELLOWSHIP CHURCH (2227 Ave F) - known as the Long Building and was constructed in 1927 for Mae Brunner and P. R. Hamill for a motion picture theater called the "Colonial." John Long bought the building and renamed it the "Texas.
56. TRIBUNE BUILDING (1717 5th St.) - built in 1916 to house The Daily Tribune.
57. CHAPEL BUILDING (2301 Ave G) - FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH - site of the First Christian Church 1909-1960. Building was moved from Old Gulf in 1939.
58. BACHMAN BUILDING (2245 Ave G) - built by early grocer R. C. Bachman in 1936.
(1800 6th St.) - erected by the Ditch brothers in 1930s.
Brochure Courtesy of the
Matagorda County Historical Commission
Thank You for Visiting Bay City! Tell Your Friends!