Few Memorial Church


Photo provided by Bill & Betty Sharp.
Taken 2001
Hy 71 s. & 237 N.
Mt. Pleasant Community
No Cemetery

Photo provided by Bill & Betty Sharp
Taken 2001




One of the first Methodist Churches of Miller County, Arkansas, was organized in the Mt. Pleasant School House in 1874. The first pastor was Rev. Jenkins. In 1900 the camp meeting grounds were moved to the present site and a large Tabernacle was built. This land was donated by, George Fouke, a pioneer of Miller County.

The present brick building was built in 1921 by Allen Few, and was named Few Memorial in memory of his parents and family who were also pioneers of the Mt. Pleasant Community. The Few Memorial Methodist church was completed ready for worship and dedicated June 19, 1921. The Rev. Francis N. Brewer was the pastor at this time.

On Sunday May 5, 1974 the One Hundredth Anniversary was celebrated with a morning worship service at 10 AM with Bishop Eugene M. Frank as Guest Speaker. Lunch was served and then visiting until 1:30 PM. In the afternoon program, many Former Members were recognized and a Memorial Service was held and those on the Roll Call were, Mrs. Glenn (Bessie) Tanner, Mrs. Lula McBeth, Mr. Lonnie W. Wyatt, Mrs. Fannie McBride, Mr. Donald K. Moore, Mrs. Rebecca Middleton (wife of Dr. B. C. Middleton), Mr. Thomas V. Yates, Mrs. Carrie Wise, Mr. George Winham, Mr. Tom C. Claiborne, Mr. Earnie Nance, Mr. Walter M. Wall, and Mrs. John Stanley.

The homecoming committee consisted of Mrs. Paul Michael, Mrs. E. C. Crawford, Sr., Mr. Sherman E. Giles, Sr., W. E. O’Neal, Cutis Parsons, Mrs. Carl Martindale, Rev. Dorothy Claiborne, Sherman E. Giles, Jr., H. Q. Russell, Mrs. Frank Morphew, Mrs. A. L. Meador, Holley Perkins, Jr., Mrs. Dorothy Watson, and Mrs. Herman Harris.   

As of 1974, the fifth generation of the Few Family was still worshiping in this church. Next year, 2004, the Few Memorial United Methodist Church will be 130 years old.

Submitted by Betty Meador Sharp

Source: Handout for the one-hundredth year Program, May 5, 1974


Photo of a group of members outside the church

Submitted by Betty & Bill Sharp