||San Marcos Primitive Baptist Church
The San Marcos Primitive Baptist Church, so named because of its proximity to the San Marcos River, was organized in 1869 at the home of George Daniels, who also served as the congregations first Pastor. The five charter members of the Church were William Baker, Vashti Baker, Hannah Daniels, L. D. Owen and Sylvania Daniels.
George Daniels served as Pastor until 1862, when James Milton Baker (1881-1910) began his 48- Year service as Minister of the San Marcos Church. A Native of Alabama, Baker was the son of Charter Members William and Vashti Baker. The family had come from Alabama to Texas in 1852 and had settled in this area during the following year.
The First Church Building and early records of the Church were destroyed in a flash flood that probably occurred in 1869 or 1870, but the congregation continued to meet, in 1886 J. M. Baker deeded land at this site for the Church and Cemetery.
In 1930 the San Marcos Primitive Baptist Church moved to Luling (3 MI. E.) but continued to meet here occasionally until 1970. This Historic Site serves as a reminder of the Heritage of the Luling Congregation.